Go With The Flow

Kimi To Kaze To Mikazuki

“Onigiri come back here!”

It was total chaos. Yamaa-san watched as Maki and Mirai chased the puppy around the house. Onigiri wouldn’t allow himself for a bath but they all couldn’t stand his cute stinky any more. Tomohisa was out of the house, talking to Yuichi and therefore couldn’t help with the little critter.

With one final lunge, Maki was able to hold little Onigiri in her arms. As if it wasn’t enough, the puppy panted happily and started her face.

“Onigiri!” Maki’s smile betrayed the forming scowl on her face.

“He’s lucky he’s so cute.” Mirai declared, ridding Maki of the feisty puppy and taking Onigiri in her arms.

Maki fell back on the floor, wiping a drop of her sweat with the back of her hand. Yamaa-san shook her head as she drank from her iced tea. Mirai headed once again for the bathroom, making sure to shut the door so Onigiri wouldn’t escape.

“You know.” The old woman spoke up, catching Maki’s attention. “I’m so lucky to be slow so I didn’t have to scurry about for that cute little thing.”

They shared a laugh. Maki stood up, pushing herself from the floor. She thought she deserved the pleasure of drinking from Yamaa-san’s glass and did so.

There was silence, only the faint sound of Mirai having a hard time in the bathroom echoed throughout the house.

“Obaa-san?”

“Yes dear?”

Maki gently placed her hands on top of the table then faced the old woman. “About Tomo’s family…”

“Ah, I guess he doesn’t want to talk to you about that ne?” Yamaa-san asked in a calm voice. She gestured for the younger woman to sit down beside her in which Maki did.

“Tomo was a quiet kid. He only ever was energetic when it came to art and his father hated that. Maybe because Jiro thought that art was a bum thing for people but Tomohisa inherited that from his mother nonetheless.” 

That was so sad, Maki thought. It was discouraging for people around you to stop doing what you love but to hear that from your family? That’s just painful. She never experienced that from either Mirai or Yamaa-san. She suddenly felt the older woman’s hands placed over hers. “I think it’s better if you talk to Tomohisa about this.”

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

Tomohisa ran a hand through his messy hair as he made his way over to Yuichi’s art shop. It was always windy in Chiba but today was particularly windy. He couldn’t count the times that he’d try fixing his helpless hair. Only a few more steps until he reached Yuichi’s.

He entered the shop, seeing that Yuichi was entertaining a customer; a mother and her son, buying art materials. He smiled at the two as they passed by him at the door when they finished buying. He felt relieved to see that kids were still interested in the finer things in life, not just video games and all that stuff. At least artists like him wouldn’t be wiped from the face of the earth.

“Ah hey there Tomohisa.” Yuichi greeted from behind the counter where different pens and brushes were displayed.

“Hi.” Tomohisa waved back and approached Yuichi whom he bowed to and bowed back.

“So, you ready to see the space?” Yuichi asked.

Tomohisa nodded his head. He was sure he was ready to do this. Yuichi led him up a flight of stairs located at the side of the shop. There feet pounded hard on the carpeted surface until they reached the second floor. A wide space spread out in front of them and was well ventilated. There were many windows. Plenty of air and light would pass through. It was perfect.

“Are you sure you’re okay with this?” Tomohisa turned to his newly made friend.

Yuichi shrugged but smiled. “I’m with you with inspiring kids to paint, Tomohisa. We have to make sure that there will still be great artists once we’re gone of course.”

They chuckled at each other. Tomohisa could see it now. There would be at least 15 easels here, and he and Yuichi could teach the kids as they started learning how to draw then paint. He faced Yuichi and held out his hand.

“Deal.”

 After discussing everything with Yuichi, he left, promising the man that they’d talk more some other day but now he needed to get home. He was feeling hungry and whether it was Maki, Mirai or his grandma who cooked, he was sure it was going to be delicious and superb. He was still a long way from home when his keitai started ringing in his pants pocket. A grimace crawled up his handsome face when he realized who it was.

“Onii-san.”

“Would you stop sounding so dreary when you answer?” Takuya teased from the other line but Tomohisa wouldn’t budge. The latter sighed quietly to himself and stopped to seek shelter from a tree.

“Look, I said I’d think about it…” He began.

“The election is in a week, couldn’t you support your dad?” Takuya begged.

Tomohisa massaged the bridge of his nose in annoyance. Damn it. Couldn’t they understand that he didn’t want to help? It would just be a waste of his time anyways. Oh he knew his father was a great politician, what the heck did they need him for anyways?

“I can’t talk right now Onii-san, later…”

“T-Tomo! Ch--”

Tomohisa cut the call before he could hear anything his brother had to say. Now he lost his appetite. A quick rest back at the house would do him some good.

He made his way up the road when he saw a man, looking just slightly older than him, waiting by the street corner. The man was looking directly at him! He turned to look at his back to check if anyone was there. There was just air. So the man really was looking at him. He approached slowly, this man wouldn’t rob him in broad daylight right?

“Konnichiwa…” The mystery man said.

“Konnichiwa…” Come to think of it. This man seemed really familiar.

“Yamada Shunsuke desu… I’m Ryosuke’s father.”

Oh. That’s why. Just imagine Ryosuke taller with shorter hair and an aging face. “Ah, hajimemae. Yamaa Tomohisa desu.” He bowed his head, keeping his hands to himself.

“Could we talk Yamaas-san?” Yamada-san asked.

This seemed to be serious and he had no other choice. “Sure.”

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

“Thank you for shopping at KINO!” Ryosuke smiled at the customers; girls just a few years younger than him. His charm worked right on and eh could even hear the girls giggling to themselves as they left with their books.

“Quite the charmer aren’t you?”

Ryosuke shifted on his feet at the voice and turned to find Maki leaning on one of the store’s bookshelves.

“Oh, onee-san, I didn’t see you there.” Ryosuke smiled sheepishly.

Maki straightened up and approached the young man, standing beside him behind the counter while Ryosuke pretended that he was busy with the items at the front next to the cash register.

“Ne, Ryou, with talking skills like that, how come you act all quiet when Mirai is involved?”

She went straight for the jugular and Ryosuke had to piece himself together just so he could answer that. Why did he? He was all charming and a sweet talker when it came to other people but when it came to Mirai, his voice would disappear.

“I don’t know onee-san.” He replied when he couldn’t find an answer to Maki’s earlier question.

He turned back to Maki who was smiling at the distance. What could she be thinking? “Yeah, well, we all have our stories on how and why Ryou-kun. Just do what feels right ne?” Maki said, smiling softly at him. That made him more comfortable. At least he had an ally in all of this right? Whatever this was. There were footsteps coming from upstairs and both of them turned to see Mirai and Onigiri walking down the steps with Mirai holding the puppy who had his leash on.

“Ah Ryou-kun! Why won’t you join Mirai? She’s going to walk Onigiri today.” Maki said happily.

“But, I have work to do.” He was going to dodge this no matter what happened.

Unfortunately for him, Maki was a sly fox. “Oh I’ll cover for you, don’t worry.” Who were they kidding anyway? Ryosuke was like family. They weren’t going to fire him for going with Mirai.

“Jaa go on go on.” Maki gave Ryosuke little pushes as the latter removed his apron-uniform.

Mirai looked somewhat curious at what Maki was hanging on about but she had a good idea what that exactly was.

“Don’t stray too far and enjoy yourselves okay?” Maki called out just as they were by the door and Ryosuke had taken the liberty of holding Onigiri’s brand new leash for him.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

Tomohisa and Yamada-san decided to talk at Kazuya’s diner as fate would have it. They even had a special table by the window so they had a great view, courtesy of the chef.

There was an awkward aura, mostly coming from Yamada-san, he kept stirring the spoon of his coffee while Tomohisa in respect, waited for the man to begin whatever he wanted from him.

“Yamaa-san, I know Ryosuke is already of age, he’s 20 and can do anything he wants with his life.”

Well that was a good start but Tomohisa was sure Yamada-san had more to tell him so he waited for the man to continue his sentiments.

“At first I didn’t approve of his cooking.” Yamada-san said, honestly. “I felt like, he’d reach nothing with that. But he showed me. He would cook dinner for me even though I get home late in the night. Then he told me that you agreed to fund his schooling.” He heaved a breath here. “I didn’t want you to Yamaa-san. Because what would that show me as a father?”

Tomohisa stiffened. He should’ve ask for this man’s permission first! He was such an idiot. “Yamada-san I’m sorry I shouldn’t have made decisions that quickly.”

“Please don’t apologize…” Yamada-san intervened. “It should hurt my pride that some other man is making my son’s dreams come true but… I know I can’t support him that well. Culinary school is expensive as you know.” He looked Tomohisa straight in the eye. “I’m not asking you to stop supporting my son. He needs it I know. I know I’m not enough for him. But please, let me take care of the larger share.” He almost seemed embarrassed. Then he stood up and actually bowed low to Tomohisa. “I’ll handle everything else but I can’t do this alone Yamaa-san.” He was actually crying!

Tomohisa immediately stood up. They were already causing a scene. He gripped Yamada-san’s shoulders and righted him from his posture. Eye to eye he met with the older man. “You can count on me Yamada-san.”

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

Ryosuke had no idea where Mirai wanted to go. Actually, they both had no idea. They just followed Onigiri who sniffed here and there and would occasionally chase something they both couldn’t even see.

“He’s an energetic little pup isn’t he?” Ryosuke asked. He held the leash, following Onigiri while Mirai walked beside him.

“He’s so full of energy that I’m the one lacking it.” Mirai yawned but then laughed.

Ryosuke turned to look; sneaking a peak at her while she watched her dog. He needed to step up his game if he wanted this. Gosh he was feeling nauseous.

“Ryosuke are you alright?” Mirai asked him, seeing that he was paling a little. “Are you sick?” She placed her warm hand on his forehead. He faked a smile, assuring her that he was alright.

They arrived at the same park where they found Onigiri. The pup wouldn’t wander right? Mirai allowed Onigiri to play in the grass, grinning at the cute little critter as he played with his surroundings.

Could he really do this? Maybe Maki was right. He should just charm it up. They sat at one bench, side by side, watching the scenes in the park. There were a lot of people there. It was a weekend after all. There were kids playing, a couple having a picnic, an old lady reading a book. So many sights to see.   

 “It’s so fun around here ne?” Mirai smiled. She turned to her friend only to see Ryosuke staring at her.

“Ryou?”

This time he wasn’t unfazed. Ryosuke smiled back and with all the courage in his arsenal, reached out to hold Mira’s hand. “Yeah, it’s so much fun.” He turned to watch Onigiri playing around, aware that Mirai was still looking at their joined hands. He turned back and smiled reassuringly at her. She may not be looking for a relationship right now but he was willing to wait. Words weren’t really his forte when it came to Mirai that is. He relaxed more when Mirai was no longer tensed and gripped his hand back. This was a start; they’ll go with the flow.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

By the time Tomohisa reached home, his stomach was already full since he’s had a sandwich back at Kazuya’s diner. But he was sure, like the grandma that she was, Yamaa-san would force feed him lunch.

The bell rang as he opened the door and was surprised to see Maki manning the cash register. She was currently entertaining an old man buying a large book. “Thank you sir!” She grinned at the old man who bowed his head then laugh, a pleasant look on his face. Tomohisa approached his girlfriend, standing beside her at the register.

“How’d it go with Yuichi?” Maki asked, facing Tomohisa.

The man smiled softly. “Great, we’re thinking of going through with the painting lessons for kids.”

Maki’s smile matched his. “That’s great! I can make flyers and hand those out to my student’s parents.” There was a silence with them just enjoying each other’s company. But Maki knew this was the time.

“Tomo…”

“Hmm?”

“How’s your dad’s election?” She questioned. When she turned, he had froze and was looking down.

“I don’t think I’m up to talk about that.”

Maki sighed. “Well when Tomo? You’v got to talk to someone about it…”

“I can but not now!”

Tomohisa stopped. . He just yelled at her. He saw Maki’s face lay blank but there was a small flicker of annoyance and possibly… hurt?

“Maki, I’m sor--”

The bookstore door opened yet again. The couple turned their heads to see who had just arrived. Tomohisa’s eyebrows shot up in wonder.

“Onii-san?”

“Hisashiburi Tomo…” Takuya nodded his head.  

 ===============================================================================================

AN: Hello! This will be the second to the last chapter everyone! I hope you like this one! XD 

@rengganis - cheesy but romantic <3 and yes! Mirai adopted Onigiri <3 Akita Inus are so cute! They're fluffballs <3 Yes, the next chapter is the end... please wait for it ne!

@jumpyamajima - :)) deshou! haha! the name just came up to my mind XD any Yamaki interaction is gold for me <3 please wait for the next and last chapter ne! :)