This Day

Kimi To Kaze To Mikazuki

 

Maki was feeling cold. Her eyes opened before it got used to the darkness. From the moonlight she was able to see the clock indicating that it was already two in the morning. Yawning, she shifted herself on the bed when a warm arm suddenly began wrapping itself around her waist. At first she panicked but then remembered; she wasn’t alone in the bed. Smiling to herself, she snuggled herself closer to the warm body spooning her. These days she better get used to Tomohisa sleeping next to her. Maybe she was shifting a little too much since she felt Tomohisa waking up.

“Maki?” His voice came in a sort of low growl, still a little dry from the night’s sleep.

“Hmm?”

“Why are you awake?” Tomohisa yawned, burying his nose in her hair. He had a habit of doing that very often.

Maki turned so that she was facing him and saw the man giving a small smile. “The cold got to me…”

“You’re still cold? Aren’t I big enough a shelter for you?” Tomohisa teased. This time it wasn’t only his arm wrapping around her, but his long legs as well. Maki giggled. She moved close before softly kissing his supple lips.

“Go back to sleep Tomo.”

“You first…”

“Mmm…”

Their eyes closed at the same time before sleep engulfed them both.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

It was a discovery of Tomohisa’s on how the three women he loved with liked their coffee. His grandmother liked it with lots of milk, as if you couldn’t taste the coffee anymore. Mirai liked it with chocolate, making it a mocha flavour. And Maki liked it sweet, four sugars in-fact.

It’s been a few months since he’s been there in Chiba. And frankly, he had no intention of going back to Tokyo. These thoughts coursed through him as he proceeded making the cups of coffee. He heard the light footsteps coming from the bedroom he had just exited and before he could move, two arms wrapped around him from behind, hugging his torso close. “Ohayou…” He felt lips grazing his bare shoulder from the wife beater he was wearing. Smiling, he tilted his head over to peek his shoulder and was able to see Maki’s eyes.

“Ohayou…” He replied, pulling himself from Maki’s grasp but not letting go of her hands. They faced each other, their hands still tangled. It was then he noticed that Maki’s smile didn’t actually reach her eyes. “What’s wrong?” He asked softly, almost frowning. At first Maki seemed as if she didn’t want to talk about it but she shook her head, willing herself to talk. “Today is my parent’s death day.” She said slowly. Tomohisa made no move and just wrapped Maki in his embrace. He knew doing that would be enough. In a little while Maki slowly pulled away. “Anou, so would you come with us to the cemetery?” Did she even need to ask? Tomohisa thought. He nodded his head. “Of course Maki-chan…”

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

Chiba North cemetery was a quaint old place. The surroundings were properly maintained to make sure that visiting relatives would be comfortable.

Mirai placed the flowers on the tombstone before dealing with a silent prayer while Maki and Tomohisa looked on.

The clouds were beginning to darken yet again and Maki was sure that rain would come that day. When Mirai looked up, apparently finished, she smiled and nodded her head at them. “Ikou?”

“Mmm..”

Not really wanting to go home yet, they all decided to visit Kazuya’s restaurant.

Erika was the one greeting them once they entered the small establishment. “Oh hi guys! Up for some grub?” She asked with a wide smile on her face. Maki giggled quietly to herself when she realized that Erika’s smile widened more seeing Maki and Tomohisa’s hands together.

“Oho, I see then…” She commented. Tomohisa actually blushed a beet red and Maki couldn’t help but lean over to kiss his cheek.

“Too early in the morning love birds!” Mirai said, feigning disgust but she couldn’t hide the growing smile on her pretty face. Erika led the three of them to a secluded booth whereas they passed by Kazuya by the grill. Tomohisa nodded rather fondly to the man.

“I didn’t know you got close to Kazuya…” Maki said almost in an accusatory tone.

Tomohisa shrugged his broad shoulders just as they sat down. “We got to talking with Ryouske’s culinary schooling and all.”

“Oh right…” Maki whispered. She took her time looking at the man as he talked with her sister. Gosh. He was perfect. Well for her. People would say nobody was perfect but Tomohisa was perfect for her. Yes he may be rough around the edges but once you looked deeper…

“Hey there Tomohisa!” Kazuya suddenly came into view with a huge smile on his face. “Mind if I borrow you for a minute?”
“Uh sure…” Tomohisa nodded his head. “Be back…” He turned to Maki with a soft smile before following Kazuya to the back. They were most probably going to talk about Ryosuke.

Getting hold of thoughts of the younger boy, Maki turned to Mirai, mimicking Tomohisa’s soft smile. “Ne, so what’s happening with you and Ryouske?”

“Eh?” Mirai suddenly shifted in her seat, hiding her twiddling fingers under the table. But Erika who was sitting beside her was able to see.

“What are you talking about onee-chan?” Mirai feigned. Both Maki and Erika rolled their eyes before the latter moved closer to Mirai.

“Now Mirai-chan… since I’m finished with Maki here, then let’s focus on you now…”

Mirai sighed with a deep breath. She knew she was not going to dodge this issue with Maki and Erika so bent on interviewing her. “I-I like him… but not like that.” She was expecting the two older women to scoff or something but they both just stayed silent before Maki spoke up.

“Are you sure about that Mirai-chan?” She could see that Mirai wasn’t up for this conversation and spared her sister of answering. “You’ll know what’s true soon enough.” She said, caressing Mirai’s hair.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

It was raining again that night. Maki wasn’t feeling too good. Maybe the cold finally got to her. Even though she didn’t want to show anyone that she was feeling sick, she excused herself from the dinner table so that she could rest in her room. Her back met with the bed surface for just a few seconds when she heard a knock on the door.

“Hai?”

Yamaa-san popped her head inside with a small smile before going over to sit on Maki’s side. “It’s that day again ne?” She said, caressing Maki’s hair.

Maki sighed. She moved over so she could face the older woman. “I just need some sleep obaa-san.”

“Jaa, see you in the morning.” Yamaa-san kissed her forehead. Before going, she whispered to Maki’s ear. “They’re just up there guarding over you Maki-chan…” After that she was out of the door.

“Okaa-san? Otou-san”

“Come to okaa-san and otou-san Maki…”

Little Maki stepped her way, trying to reach for her parents but just as her hand was about to mak contact… they disappeared.

“O-okaa-san! Otou-san!”    

It was dark. She couldn’t see anything but hear the rain. “Okaa-san! Otou-san!”

“Maki!”

“Okaa-san!!!”

“Maki!”

“Otou-san!”

“Maki wake up!”

Maki shot up form bed, feeling sweat running down her chest, soaking her nightie. She turned her head to find Tomohisa looking worriedly at her.

“It was just a bad dream, come here.” Tomohisa said hugging her close so that her head was resting on his chest.

“I’m sorry.” Maki whispered. “It’s just that I dream of them always when this day comes.”

“Shh.. It’s alright…” Tomohisa cooed. “Just go back to sleep ne?”

But Maki knew she wouldn’t be going back to sleep. Too many thought were on her mind that day. “I wish they were still here… I mean, Mirai didn’t even get to know them. She didn’t get to grow up with her parents.”

Pulling back slightly so he could take a good look at her, Tomohisa pushed the hair away from Maki’s face. “You’re Mirai’s parent now. You’ve done a better job than most parents I know.”

Somehow Tomohisa’s tone seemed different when the topic went to that. “Tomo?”

“Hmm?”

“Have you talked to your father?”

He stiffened at that before kissing the top of Maki’s head. “Maki, you need to sleep, good night.”

Defeated, Maki snuggled closer, allowing herself to fall asleep but not before promising herself that she’d get Tomohisa to open up.

================================================

AN: Hello friend! Thanks to those who commented and subscrubed! I'm sorry I wasn't able to thank people individually! 

PLease comment :)