Horror Movies and Coffee Mornings

Kimi To Kaze To Mikazuki

 

“What’s going on here?”

Tomohisa felt as if his heart reached the distance of the ocean. He turned around slowly, hiding the drawings behind his back before facing Maki who was at the doorway. No words were coming out of his mouth. Darn it what was he going to do now?!

“I was just borrowing clothes from Tomo-nii, Maki-nee.” Ryosuke replied, holding up the shirt and shorts Tomohisa lent him. The silence that followed was accompanied only by the still enraged rain outside. Maki, though still suspicious, let it go and walked away, heading over to her room. Once they heard the door close, Tomohisa was able to let out a breath. Then he remembered that his “drawings” were out.

“I have drawings of you too Mirai so don’t let anything get into your head…” He explained. It was late when he realized that he just sounded defensive.

Mirai still had that twinkle in her eyes. She bit her lip and shrugged her shoulders before putting her hands behind her back and walking to the doorway. “Daijoubou Tomo-nii, I promise, I won’t tell onee-chan about your secret crush on her.”

Tomohisa couldn’t retort since the girl had already left. Ryosuke stood there, obviously amused, he bowed his head, thanking Tomohisa for the clothes once again before following Mirai’s path.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

By now, Tomohisa was sure he was the only one awake. The storm was getting stronger though and he was honestly a bit worried. They lived at a beach after all. If the wind would serve to be too strong, it could cause a tsunami. He hoped that wouldn’t happen. One good thing about this was how he was enjoying the cold wind passing through the very cozy house. He had a beer bottle in one hand while the television was to the lowest volume; he wouldn’t want to wake anyone up. But even with the volume at minimum, someone did wake up.

“Why are you still up?”

He turned his head from the sofa at the voice just in time to see Maki coming out from the darkness in a small white sleeveless shirt and blue pajama pants. He waited until she stood in-front of him, next to the television before answering. “I think I’m still battling with my insomnia.”

“You should try drinking chamomile tea.” Maki suggested.

“I’ll keep that in mind” Tomohisa answered. “What about you? You have insomnia too?”

Maki sighed before walking to the couch, taking a seat beside Tomohisa who offered her the extra space by scooting a little further away.

“I think I only have insomnia when it’s raining like this.” She replied. Tomohisa stayed silent and waited for her to continue since he had a feeling that she was not done with her sentence. “It’s just, I think with the weather like this something bad is going to happen. Kinda like what happened to my parents.” Tomohisa nodded his head in an accompanying manner. For a while, only the faint buzzing of the tv sounded until Tomohisa spoke up. “Well you need not worry since everyone is safely sleeping upstairs.”

“I hope so.” Maki dozed off. She breathed in before taking the remote from Tomohisa’s hand and flicking through the channels. “Ah here’s one.”

“I didn’t peg you for the horror type of girl…” Tomohisa said, secretly gulping. He wasn’t the best when it came to horror movies. Not that he was a chicken, he just sometimes gets spooked easily. Maki shrugged. “I’m not that brave or anything, I just love a good horror movie.”

And after a few minutes or so…

“He’s an idiot! Who enters an elevator when a ghost is after you?!”

“Sshh! I can’t hear!”

Maki moved a little bit closer to Tomohisa. She had to admit she was getting really spooked with the movie but wasn’t about to show the man beside her that. The movie was taking a down low from all the scary stuff happening which she was thankful for. The scene showed the lead man moving to the bathroom when…

“Boo!”

Maki was able to stop herself from shouting but it damn hurt her heart from doing so! “Damn you!” she cursed, softly hitting Tomohisa’s arm while the latter held back his giggles. “My chest literally hurts right now!”

“You should’ve just yelled!”

“Then everyone would’ve woken up!” A grimace graced Maki’s features but it was too late for her to realize that a surprise would greet her when she turned back to the television.

“Ahhhh!!”

“Ahhhh!!”

 That had to be the worst face she’d ever seen in her life. She didn’t care if she was making a fool of herself but she’d already buried her face on Tomohisa’s chest which she suddenly realized was a strong chest she did not want to part with. Sitting there, Tomohisa chuckled allowing Maki to stay like that. She was so scared that he actually felt her shaking.

“The ghost is gone now…” He said comfortingly, trying not to laugh. Slowly, as if estimating if he was lying or not, Maki lifted her head and was able to breathe in when the scene was no longer scary. That didn’t erase the fact that her heart was still beating fast from being startled. “Ugh…” she groaned and straightened up, suddenly realizing that she was a little too close to Tomohisa. “Sorry about that…” she whispered.

“Not at all…” Tomohisa replied with that smug smirk Maki saw on his face when she first met him.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

Ryosuke was used to getting up early. He realized it was still raining but at least a little less than the past night. But then he saw Tomohisa wasn’t there in the room with him. He knew he slept first last night, taking up space on Tomohisa’s bed; now he wondered if the man even slept there last night. Kicking the covers away, he stood up, not caring that he still had bed hair before heading out. What he saw outside was not what he expected. There on the couch was Tomohisa and Maki…sleeping. Tomohisa’s head was on the arm rest while Maki was stretched out beside him, using the man’s arm as a pillow. Nandayo? Ryosuke, still confused, walked quietly to the direction of the kitchen, opting to make himself a cup of coffee. He was still contemplating Maki and Tomohisa’s… situation as he mixed the coffee and the sugar together. Weren’t the two always bickering? Then why the heck were they in that position now?

“Ne Ryou could you make some coffee too? I think I’m hallucinating…”

Ryosuke almost dropped the cup he was holding when he realized that the voice behind him was Mirai’s The girl still had her eyes closed and was tiredly leaning on the kitchen table. Before he could respond, Mirai spoke up again.

“Am I still dreaming or are Tomo-nii and Maki-nee sleeping together on the couch?”

Sniggering, Ryosuke started making another cup then settling it in-front of Mirai before answering. “Nah, I don’t think you’re dreaming since I saw them together too.”

With this statement being let go Mirai’s closed eyes shot open before she turned her head to get a glimpse of the still sleeping Maki and Tomohisa in the same position on the couch. “ I really thought I was dreaming.” Turning back around she had this giddy smile on her face.

“I’m guessing you like Tomo-nii for Maki-nee.” Ryosuke stated as he took a sip from his cup of coffee. Mirai shrugged her shoulders, a small smile still evident on her face. “Sure, I mean, look at Tomo-nii, ain’t he the hottest thing here in Chiba?” she chuckled. “Plus, for once I’d like to see Maki-nee with a guy. I think the last time she had a boyfriend was when she was in high school.”

Truth be told, only half of what Mirai was saying was being processed in Ryosuke’s brain. He was too busy staring at her. The way her hair fell back behind her shoulders with the small amount of sunlight hinting its brown color.

“Have you ever had a boyfriend?” Ryosuke uttered out before he could even stop himself. This caught Mirai off-guard since she was still in the middle of speaking. She stopped before looking the other way. “Huh, me? A boyfriend? Unlikely.” She laughed. But Ryosuke noticed that she wasn’t entirely joking. She continued anyways. “Plus, I don’t have time for boyfriends, if I’m going to be a doctor someday I have to focus on what I’m doing…”

There was a millisecond in which Ryosuke’s heart skipped a beat. Mirai didn’t want a boyfriend?! what would happen to his plans now?!