Kimi to Kaze to Mikazuki

Kimi To Kaze To Mikazuki

Maki sat by the kitchen as she let Takuya, Tomohisa and Yamaa-san talk together as a family. Good thing they’d already finished lunch but she wondered where her sister and Ryosuke were? They never came back. But she was sure Ryosuke would take care of Mirai so no worries.  She decided to mix together some iced tea and grabbed some cookies Ryosuke had baked for the week.

“Have something to eat.” She said as she approached the three at the living room.

Takuya smiled gratefully at her then turned to Tomohisa. “Ne ototo, you haven’t really formally introduced me to your girlfriend.”

Tomohisa shifted on his chair and held out his hand to Maki who took it, giving an assuring squeeze. The latter then turned to face Takuya, allowing herself the opportunity of self-introduction. “Hajimemae Horikita Maki desu.”

“Yamaa Takuya, yoroshiku.” Takuya held her hand.

Like Tomohisa, Takuya was handsome man. They had the same tanned skin and unruly hair. Although Takuya’s built was lean.

Maki placed herself on the chair beside Tomohisa’s, placing a comforting hand on Tomohisa’s lap.

“So how is the election going?” Yamaa-san asked her elder grandson.

“Mm,” Takuya, his lips from the iced tea he drank before replying. “Otou-san is winning in the polls, which is a good thing. Although his rival, Kengo is determined to win. We’ll just see when the results start.”

“Ang otou-san? How is he?” Tomohisa asked. He had no escape now. And he wasn’t a good for nothing son. He still cared for his father, just not for the election.

“He’s doing well.” Takuya nodded his head but then turned meaningfully to his younger brother. “He keeps asking how you’re doing.”

Tomohisa nodded his head in understanding. His father wasn’t the same youngster he thought he was, of course with his age, he needed to guard his health.

“Tomo…” Yamaa-san suddenly spoke up causing the three other people in the room to turn her way. “Why don’t you go with your onii-san? Back to Tokyo?”

Maki felt Tomohisa still beside her and he reached out to grip the hand she had on his lap. The man faced her and shook his head slowly. It was obvious that all the other people inside the room saw. Takuya cleared his throat and stood up.

“Jaa, I’m staying at a hotel, just for the night. Call me if you decide to change your mind.” He said, facing his brother.

Yamaa-san shook her head. “Nonsense, why would you stay at a hotel? You can stay here?”

Takuya smiled at his grandma and went over to hug her. “Arigato obaa-san but I know that I’ll take up too much space. But I’ll be back in the morning.” He kissed Yamaa-san’s cheek and nodded over to Tomohisa.

Standing there, Maki made a decision. “I’ll walk you out Yamaa-san!”

“Oh, thank you.” Takuya smiled dazzlingly.

They were at the door way and Maki was about ready to open and talk but Takuya beat her to it. “Horikita-san, could you walk with me please? I need to speak with you.”

Tomohisa looked over at them and Maki gave him a reassuring nod on the head before allowing the older man to lead the way.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

“Come to mommy Onigiri!” Mirai called out and the puppy joyfully bounded towards her. Mirai laughed softly as she watched Onigiri’s cute little wiggle when he reached her. She scooped the puppy up and lifted it over to Ryosuke who yelled in a startled manner when Onigiri his lips.

“Ah! Onigiri!” He yelled. But the puppy, confusing his scream with a fun output, continued to his face.

“At least he likes you!” Mirai chuckled. She placed Onigiri back on the ground, setting the leash before taking hold.

When Ryosuke checked his watch, he cursed silently to himself. It was half past one! He had to get Mirai back home!

“What’s wrong?” Mirai asked, seeing the distraught look on Ryosuke’s face.

“You haven’t had lunch yet…”

Mirai scoffed at that. “That isn’t a problem. Come on, I’m hungry for Kazuya-nii’s grub!”

Ryosuke stuttered as Mirai held his hand and pulled him out of the park. “Eh? But Yamaa-san cooked lunch!”

“Maki-nee and Tomo-nii can finish them. I’ll just text message onee-chan and tell her we’ll eat at Kazuya-nii’s!”

They walked together, Mirai holding Onigir… and Ryosuke’s hand. Ryosuke grinned to himself. He looked like a boy with his first crush and his dreams just came true. It was a fact that Mirai wasn’t Ryosuke’s first crush but she had the most impact, he admitted. He stopped with walking right beside a tree, causing Mirai to stop.

“Hmm?” Mirai raised an eyebrow in question.

Ryosuke gripped her hand, smiling cheekily. “Nothing… just…I like you Mirai-chan…”

Mirai looked at him, calmly, her face serene and her lips pulling into a small smile. “I like you too…” Then she giggled and she leaned close then planted a kiss on Ryosuke’s cheek. “Jaa… ikou?”

“Mmmm…” They walked to the café hand in hand. Ryosuke didn’t care that he had this stupid smile on his face. The walk towards Kazuya’s was short and in no time, they were entering the quaint old diner. Ryosuke stopped short though when he saw a strange sight inside the diner.

“What’s your dad doing with Erika-nee?” Mirai asked.

He didn’t know but they were going to find out. He walked forward, hand still clasped together with Mirai’s until they reached the table. Since Erika was the one facing them, she perked up, ceasing her conversation with Yamada-san. When the woman in-front of him stopped talking, Yamada-san turned his head to look over his shoulder. He smiled when he saw his son.  

“Ah Ryou, have you had your lunch?”

“Iie…” Ryosuke said slowly. He was still processing what his dad was doing there and with Erika for that fact.

“Yamada-san talked with Tomohisa a while ago, Ryosuke.” Erika informed him. She smiled at them and then saw their clasped hands, if it was possible, her smile grew wider. Both she and Yamada-san scooted along the booth so that Ryosuke and Mirai could slide in. The latter stayed beside Erika while Ryosuke sat beside his father.

“You talked to Tomo-nii?” Ryosuke turned to his father.

Yamada-san shifted so he was looking straight at his son. “Ryou, I believe in you. Maybe I didn’t but now, I do… I believe in your skill and I’m sorry that I couldn’t support you then. But with the help of Yamaa-san, I can now. I’ll work harder… and well… to train you…” He let the statement drift off then turned to Erika who immediately spoke up.

“I’ll be talking to Maki and Yamaa-obaa-san to let you have some hours off from the bookstore… so you can train with Kazuya before you enter culinary school.”

Mirai and Ryosuke looked at each other. Hours off? Wow. “But…” Ryosuke stuttered. “They need me in the bookstore, I can’t just cut back--”

“It’s going to be summer vacation in a few weeks…” Mirai finally spoke up after minutes of staying quiet. No matter what she wanted to help Ryosuke too. “I can help at the bookstore now that it’s summer vacation you don’t have to worry.” She smiled at him and then at Yamada-san. “Oji-san, you can count on me. We’ll help Ryosuke too.”

A toothy grin escaped the older Yamada and he reached over to grasp Mirai’s hand. “Arigato Mirai-chan. And if I may say I’m glad my son finally got the guts to tell you he likes you.”

“Otou-san!”

“What? You were holding hands so you’re together now right?” Yamada-san asked innocently and the younger two in the table blushed.

Erika happily smiled at them, blinking her eyes. “I can’t ask when the wedding is since you two are too young. Wait after Maki and Tomohisa ne?”

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

 Maki didn’t know why she agreed to walk with Takuya. He only just met the guy but if he’s the same as his brother, meaning not a psycho, then she wouldn’t need to worry.

“What is it you want to talk about Yamaa-san?”      

“Please, if we’re going to talk, call me Takuya or onii-san.” The man smiled as they continued to walk. Maki hummed in understanding and followed, staying close to him. What was good about Chiba’s streets is that they were wide and very clean so walking wouldn’t be a problem.

Finally Takuya spoke up. “I’m not the best onii-san in the world Maki-san but believe it or not, I love my brother.”

Something in his tone and the expression on his face pulled Maki to an understanding and yes. She believed that Tomohisa was special to his older brother and Takuya wouldn’t let any harm come to him. “I know he doesn’t want to join mine and my father’s line of work. And it’s okay if he pursues his painting but is it really stable?”

Maki knew where Takuya was going at. “You’re worrying that his line of work wouldn’t put food on the table?”

“Well… yes, I mean, painting? It’s not the best of jobs.” By now they were getting tired and decided to sit down at a stone bench right next to this quaint old house which Maki knew who belonged to and know that they wouldn’t mind if they sat.

This was a very delicate conversation and Maki didn’t want this to end on a bad note. So she chose her words wisely. “Onii-san, do you enjoy being a congressman?”

Takuya moved in his seat and looked at Maki, wondering if she was serious. But the determined look on the woman’s face confirmed this. “Yes  I do. Some say it’s just for the benefits but I actually like helping people and I know I’d make our city a better place.”

“That’s the same with Tomo. He loved painting and nothing could make him happier.” She breathed in. “I know that a job can be for you if you’re happy and content because at the end of the day that’s what we all want right? To be content.”

They faced each other before Maki continued with her saga of words. Maybe some finishing touches would do the trick. “You should know that he and my friend are planning to have a painting school… He really is trying onii-san. It’d be better if he was happy right? Being in the political world wouldn’t make him happy.”

When she looked at him, Takuya’s face was blank before he sniggered to himself looking at the ground. What was so funny about what she said?

“You are something Maki-san… can I call you Maki-chan? I feel much comfortable.” He didn’t wait for an answer and started using such honorifics. “Maki-chan, I’d like to thank you that you allowed Tomo to be your boyfriend.”

What was he saying? Maki wondered but let him fill in a few more blanks.

“You see, back in Tokyo, Tomohisa never really had a girlfriend. Oh he dated and went out with girls. But for some reason, he really just wasn’t truly interested in them. I know I’m right when I say you’re the first girl he’s really ever taken seriously. And you’re a girl who believes in him. Who understands what he likes and you’ve made me understand.” He stood up and held Maki’s hand so that she may follows and then said; “I just wish my father would too.”

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

Tomohisa was so thankful that his grandma hadn’t force feed him because he really didn’t want to bloat, what with all that was happening. His brother was here and was talking with his girlfriend for who knows what! It was getting on his anxiety level bar but he had nothing else to do but wait until the two of them got back.

For now he was the one situated by the register. His ears perked up when Ryosuke and Mirai emerged from outside. And… they were holding hands, much to Tomohisa’s surprise but he did admit that there was one thing going on in his mind. Finally.

“Tomo-nii I’m sorry if we didn’t have lunch here, we ate at Kazuya’s instead!” Mirai informed him.

He expected nothing would be of changed anyways whether he was worried since Mirai and Ryosuke both looked too happy to care anyways.

“It’s alright… and… congratulations.” He smirked.

Ryosuke scratched the back of his hair bashfully. “Arigato Tomo-nii, for everything.”

As if on cue, Maki entered the bookstore, closing the door behind her. She looked nervous about something and Mirai understood this immediately.

“Come on Ryou, I want to show you something.” The latter pulled the young man upstairs leaving Maki and Tomohisa alone.

The air was thick, Maki and Tomohisa could both feel it. “Tomo, can I talk with you?” The day, as much as many things happened was beginning to end. It seemed like sunsets and twilight was their favourite time of conversing.

“Sure.”

Their favourite spot by the beach was reserved and they took their seats on the sand, watching as the waves grew stronger with the afternoon setting wind.

They were quiet at first and Tomohisa knew Maki was not at ease with the situation. But being the quick and smart guy that he was, he figured it out. “Onii-san wanted you to talk to me about going back to Tokyo right?”

Maki looked up at him and nodded her head. She fixed her position so that they were facing each other, legs tangling on the sand. “Tomo--”

“Chotto Maki… I want to tell you something.” He breathed in and saw that Maki nodded her head and so started.

“When I was in Tokyo, people would pester me. ‘Painting? Why are you a painter? Wouldn’t you rather be like your dad or your brother?’ I hated it when they told me that. So without hesitation, I headed here for Chiba. I didn’t care what people thought, I just caught on with whatever they were throwing at me. I didn’t even know what to care for.” He moved closer to her knuckles brushing her smooth cheek.

“I think I’ve told you before that if I just didn’t care then I wouldn’t get hurt. But then you came along. You showed me something different, made me feel things I haven’t felt before…”

“Tomo…”

“Shh.” He smiled softly at her then continued. “Maybe everyone from obaa-san to Mirai, Ryosuke, and even Erika knew… Everything was alright then. I wasn’t sure what was happening but I was sure that it was because of you. I changed when I came here. I started believing and being happy again. And I know…” He moved closer, pressing his lips to hers. “You’re the reason.”

That wasn’t everything he was going to say though. “That’s why I don’t think I can return to Tokyo and face my father just like that. Because in truth, he was one of those people who grimaced at what I was doing…”

Maki sighed soundlessly then placed her hands on Tomohisa’s cheeks. “Tomo look at me.” And he did. “I know I haven’t felt what you’re feeling right now but let me help please. It’s not enough that you feel these things and not follow through. Just… why not try convincing your father?”

“It’s not that simple Maki.” Tomohisa sighed.

She knew he would say that and so had an answer of her own to return. “You’ve done incredible things here and one concrete example is Ryosuke…”

Ryosuke? Tomohisa wondered.

Maki chuckled softly when she saw the adorable confused face of Tomohisa. “I mean, you’re starting to make his dreams come true. And he is tried… he talked to his father Tomo…”

Tomohisa’s eyes shot up at that. Maki was right. Thoughts jumbled through his head. Could he really do this? He turned to her and saw that she was smiling reassuringly. Suddenly, everything felt okay. Everything felt as if they were going to be alright. Just seeing Maki, he believed that all things he didn’t want were now not true… they didn’t matter, as long as he had Maki.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

“Are you guys all set?” Takuya asked. They didn’t even wait for another day, they travelled that same night, the crescent moon present.

Maki and Tomohisa nodded their heads, bags in tow. Yamaa-san stood by them. She held Tomohisa’s hands in hers and kissed her grandson’s forehead. “You can do this Tomo and remember that obaa-san will always love you.”

Tomohisa chuckled. He nodded his head. “I love you too obaa-san.”

He settled his bag along with Maki’s in Takuya’s car trunk while his obaa-san and Maki hugged then to Mirai who was at the sides.

“I’ll visit again obaa-san.” Takuya turned to Yamaa-san and kissed her cheek.

“Of course Takuya and… I love you too.” Yama-san answered.

Smiling, Takuya whispered the same words and entered his car just a few seconds before the couple did so.

Once inside, Takuya started the drive. It wasn’t a long one in truth. Maki rested her head on Tomohisa’s shoulder, catching some shut eye. If they were really going to do this, they had to have all the energy in the world.

As the car rolled down the highway, Tomohisa watched the leaves dancing from the fickle wind then saw the waves from the ocean, as if matching his fate, illuminated by the crescent moon, smiling happily at them. They were going to talk to his father once they reach Chiba. It was something he was anxious about but seeing the woman beside him, all the comfort in the world just seeped through. They weren’t sure what was going to happen but he was certain of one thing. That he was able to meet Maki and will entrust his everything to her.  

     

END

==================================================================================================

AN: Here is the end everyone! to sob or not to sob? I wouldn't :D I'm so happy with this story! My second finished one! I know the ending is abrupt but I'm with the way it is. Thank you so much to those who read and commented :) jumpyamajima, rengganis, myasally, ongzishan, R15LYD, Wallfllower, MidoriMayu, ashiya_maki, yeslxl, anu_international_XD, SHEfan and ming ah (skeptic manila) 

I will be posting an epilogue :D