Sudden Realization

Kimi To Kaze To Mikazuki

 

It was on morning that Tomohisa found himself walking Maki to the kindergarten school. The past couple of weeks were good for him. He was enjoying Chiba and had progressed very well with his painitngs. Plus… he loved spending time with Maki. He knew from the start that he had a certain attraction to her but it only proved so that it was hard not to like Maki. She had this well-balanced charm that always seemed to knock him off his feet. That’s why today, he decided to accompany her to her job. He’d probably just sit there and look how kids were playing and learning.

“You really want to go here?” Maki asked just before they entered.

He shrugged with an adorable pout on his face. “Yeah, I think I need a rest from painting.”

“But why go with me?” Maki asked, her eyebrows a little furrowed. There were a lot more things to do back at home so why accompany her?

That’s when Tomohisa realized that he had no reason. He just… “I just wanted to…” He replied. Not saying anymore, Maki entered the gates of the kindergarten. What greeted the both of them was a woman at the middle of the field, waving to their direction. It seemed that Maki knew her since she waved back.

“Ohayou gozaimasu Maki-sensei!”

“Ohayou gozaimasu Erika-sensei!” Maki greeted back, hugging the woman. She turned to Tomohisa who was standing simply behind her.

“Eri this is Tomohisa… Tomo this is Erika, our school nurse.”

At the sound of his name, the woman named Erika’s eyes lightened up before she waved. “Why hello there Tomohisa… Maki’s told me so much about y-ow!” She glared at Maki who apparently squeezed her arm to hard. Intrigued by this, Tomohisa raised an eyebrow with an amused smug look on his face.  “Really? What are the things Maki talks to you about?”

“It’s nothing…” Maki chuckled nervously, beating Erika to saying anything. “Why don’t we head on inside and I still have a class to teach.”

Tomohisa almost fell over when he entered the classroom right behind Maki. Apparently two boys were playing tag.

“Alright children settle down!” Maki exclaimed as she clapped her hands, getting the children’s attention. Just with the sound of her voice, the kids scrambled to get to their seats and in a heartbeat, were all looking angelic.

“Impressive.” Tomohisa whispered. Maki smiled proudly before gesturing for him to sit down at the back of the class. This was going to take just a little while.  

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

Maki was a natural with the kids! Tomohisa could tell that every single child in that classroom loved the woman to bits. Maki also knew how to handle those pesky ones. Now that it was lunch time, she had to tend to every single one.

“Maki-sensei! Can you open my juice box please!”

“Maki-sensei!”

“I’ll be with you just a second Yuka-chan.” Maki said, smiling at the girl.

Tomohisa suddenly felt sorry for the woman. She had to deal with this everyday? Oh wow.

“Onii-san…” The small voice stopped his thoughts. When he looked down he saw Akira, that boy he and Maki saw when they were at the beach. A small smile spread across his lips.

“Hi…”

Akira smiled back before handing Tomohisa a cupcake. “Want to share a cupcake with me?”

“Oh uh…” He stuttered for a while but then he saw Akira slowly frowning. Oh no, he wouldn’t want to disappoint the kid.

“Of course Tomo-nii would love to share.” Suddenly Maki was right beside him, opening the cupcake and splitting it into half, she gave one to Akira and the other one to Tomohisa. “Now play nice kiddies.” She teased, even ruffling Tomohisa’s hair. The man mocked scowled as he waved Maki’s hand off. Then he remembered Akira was still there so to show his enthusiasm, he took a bite from the cupcake and smiled at the adorable little boy who mimicked his expression.

At the side, Maki had her own smile, happy that Tomohisa could get along with the kids. She looked and saw him smiling at her. Somehow her heart had beaten hard in her chest. Then she remembered that she too had to eat. Not knowing that Tomohisa would be accompanying her today, she only prepared a lunch for herself! Slowly she turned to where Tomohisa was seated with Akira. The man was still happily eating with the boy. She guessed she had no choice.

“Anou Tomo…” She said as she approached.

Tomohisa looked up, a smile still on his face from a joke Akira told him. “Eh? Nani?”

“Etou…” Her embarrassment didn’t waver. “Gomen, I didn’t prepare a lunch for the two of us.”  

“Sensei, can’t you share your lunch with onii-san?” Akira piped up. His face still had soy sauce and he looked cute as he stared at them. “Datte, okaa-san and otou-san always share their lunch.” He smiled.

Tomohisa cleared his throat before smiling at the boy. He patted Akira’s head. “G-good idea Akira-kun, Maki-sensei and I will just share okay?”

“Yatta!” Now satisfied, Akira went back to his friends.

Maki and Tomohisa looked at each other for a moment but both suddenly realized that Akira had their eyes on them.

“Maa, lt’s eat then Tomo.” Maki smiled, raising the lunch box to the man.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

Whenever she would be heading home, Maki would pick Erika up at the clinic so they could walk together. This particular day was different though.

“I still have to file the kids’ paper work Maki-chan, you go on home with Tomohisa.” Erika said as she sat behind her desk. Maki raised her eyebrows in wonder before crossing her arms. “Eri, where are the papers?”

She had a point; Erika’s desk rid of papers! “I--, well, I haven’t started on them yet…” Erika replied, smiling sweetly.

Tomohisa, who was at the doorway, laughed secretly at the scene occurring right in-front of him.

“Fine.” Maki said in defeat. “Just call me when you get home okay?”

“Sure thing Maki-chan!” Erika waved goodbye, also turning to Tomohisa. “Bye to you too Tomohisa.”

 Tomohisa bowed respectfully, showing a small smile while Maki exited.

The woman was a good few meters away already but he caught up in no time. It seemed like his one stride equalled three of hers.

“Sometimes that woman gets these weird ideas in her head.” Maki began when she noticed that Tomohisa was now walking beside her.

In response, he said; “She seems nice.”

Maki chuckled at the lack of anything to say from him. They continued through the streets when Tomohisa spoke up yet again.

“You’re really good with kids you know?”

Maki turned to him, noticing that he wasn’t looking at her, as if he was thinking really hard. She smiled slowly. “Of course, I mean, I’m a kindergarten teacher right?”

Tomohisa finally looked at her then smiled sheepishly, a little embarrassed from what he said. “No, I mean, yeah you’re a kindergarten teacher but there are some with your profession who aren’t that close with the kids. You, well, you just look natural.”

The way he was looking at her made Maki’s insides churn so she decided to look the other way before he could realize that she was beginning to blush.

She replied in response to his query though. “Jaa, maybe because I grew up taking care of Mirai. Plus, I really want to be a mother someday.” She smiled at him once again before quickening her steps back home. Tomohisa wasn’t able to move at first. He stood in the same spot, thinking things over. He was jealous of Maki because she was good with kids and had dreams of being a mother. But more importantly running through his mind; he was beginning to think that he wanted her as a mother for his kids someday. Was he falling in-love with this woman already?

“Ne Tomo are you coming?” Maki called out from the distance, her smile radiant, the wind softly blowing her hair and the afternoon sun behind her. In that moment Tomohisa decided for himself; I’m in-love with Maki…