Kindness

Kimi To Kaze To Mikazuki

 

A soft humming echoed throughout the house and that caused Tomohisa’s eyes to flutter open. When he peeked through his eyelids and checked the sun from outside, he guessed it was about six in the morning. His muscles were a little numb when he stood up but a little stretching got him going. There was a small woosh when Tomohisa opened his bed room door and there’s where he found out the source of all the humming.

“Oh, hi Tomohisa-nii!” Mirai greeted. She smiled at him while holding a basket of laundry in her arms.

“Ohayo.” Tomohisa greeted back in that low voice of his.

With a satisfied smirk, Mirai continued walking ahead leaving Tomohisa by his door still. He was still new around the place and even though he knew Mirai was trying to like him, things were still kind of awkward. He followed Mirai’s steps until he was at the kitchen. He could hear Mirai still humming but was now in the backyard, probably hanging the laundry out to dry.

The house was really quiet apart from Mirai’s humming. ‘Where was everybody?’ He had his answer when the door through the bookstore opened and in came Maki wearing a small tee and shorts with her hair tied into a ponytail. It looked like she just came in from a jog. The woman seemingly felt the weight of his stare and flicker her eyes over to him as he stood at the railing of the second floor. Her expression didn’t change, she was too tired to do so. Panting, she carried her feet over to the stairs, removing her hair band.

“Ohayo Tomohisa, have you eaten breakfast yet?” She asked and Tomohisa just realized that she was already face to face with him. He actually took a step back in his surprise and only remembered to speak up when Maki tapped his arm and raised an eyebrow at him.

“Oh… uh.. n-no I haven’t eaten yet.”

Smirking Maki moved to the side, placing her earphones and her Ipod which were inside her shorts pocket, on the dining room table. “You should jump around or something, I think you’re still asleep.”

Tomohisa chuckled slowly in answer but didn’t really follow her suggestion since he opted to sit at the dining table, scratching the back of his unruly hair. With Maki’s back turned to him, and her focusing on the eggs she was readying to cook, he was able to take the chance to observe her. The tee she was wearing really showed off her curves and Tomohisa found himself getting very hot. Was the sun shinging straight at him or something? Plus she wore those shorts which brought emphasis to her legs, her white and smooth skin.

“Ne Tomohisa-nii, snap out of it!” For the second time that morning Tomohisa was taken aback surprised. Mirai must’ve been wondering why he was staring and hoped upon hopes that the young woman didn’t notice him staring at her older sister. Maki glanced at them over her shoulder, not really caring and so returned to her culinary craft-making. Apparently Tomohisa wouldn’t be able to escape this predicament he was in since Mirai mischievously and knowingly smirked at him. A thousand reasons had already started running through his mind, hoping these explanations would work. He opened his mouth to start saying something but Mirai cut his actions off as she placed a finger to her lips and mockingly whispered. “Daijoubou Tomohisa-nii, I won’t tell my one-chan that you have a crush on her.”

He gritted his teeth and tried to explain but Mirai had already skipped off to stand beside Maki, seemingly curious with what her older sister was cooking. Tomohisa gripped his hair in frustration and quietly groaned into his arms. Great, it was only his second day there and Mirai would think he was this some kind of ert.

“Ohayo!” His thoughts ended when he heard his grandmother come in from outside. “Ah Tomohisa you’re awake good. Later Maki can bring you to the arts supply store so you can shop for whatever you need.” The old woman leaned over Tomohisa’s hair lovingly before returning to her room.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

“So where’s the supply shop?” Tomohisa asked Maki. He realized that since the neighbourhood was so small, he wouldn’t need his car to get to places.

“It’s just another street over, my friend Yuichi owns the place, I bet you two will be good friends.” Maki answered. She proceeded walking, not even checking if Tomohisa was following. Their walk to the supply shop was awkwardly quiet and Tomohisa admitted to himself that he was not the best talker or starter of conversations. He would have to work on that since Maki didn’t seem the type to do so either.

They reached a quaint corner store named Canvas which had almost the same exterior as the bookstore. Maki pushed the door open, ringing the bell.

“I’ll be with you in a moment!” A voice came from the back. Tomohisa stood beside Maki, his eyes roaming over the place. Aside from the supplies, there were also painting already hung up on the wall. All had the same signature at the bottom right corner of the canvas; Nakamaru Yuichi.

“Ah Maki it’s you!” Tomohisa looked up to see a man coming in from the back room. He was just about his height, had messy hair, although he admitted his was messier.

“Happy to see me Yuichi?” Maki smiled as she leaned over the counter.

“I’m always happy to see you Maki-chan!” Yuichi declared, his arms dramatically raised into the air. “So what can I do for your beauty this lovely morning? Last I heard you don’t paint…”

“Well I don’t but Tomohisa here does…”

Tomohisa knew that was his cue and stepped up next to Maki. He stretched out his hand offering it to Yuichi. “Hajimemae, Yamaa Tomohisa desu…”

“Ah! So you’re Yamaa-san’s grandson!” Yuichi exclaimed happily. He took Tomohisa’s outstretched hand and shook it well. “Kochira koso, Nakamaru Yuichi desu, so what can I help you with?”

From then on Maki watched as the two men animatedly talked with each other as if they’ve been best friends since they were kids. Birds of the same feather really do flock together.

“You come back here ne Tomohisa? Canvas is always open for you!” Yuichi declared while helping Tomohisa carry one of many canvases the latter had purchased. Maki smiled and shook her head at the sidelines while she carried one of the lighter materials which were the brushes and the paints.

“Ah, arigato Yuichi…” Tomohisa smiled and waved with one hand while trying to balance the large canvas with the other. They formed a friendship that fast!

“Are you alright?” Maki asked Tomohisa as she watched him trying to hold the canvases with his two hands.

Tomohisa tried with all his strength to hold those canvases. Apparently it was a hard job. Smiling sheepishly, he turned to Maki. “I guess I should’ve brought my car so we could carry all of this.”

Maki laughed at the sentiment. Partly it was her fault too since she didn’t think of that task either. “Well can you reach until KINO? It’ll be just a few more steps away.”

“Mochiron, makasete.” Tomohisa offered a half smile. Maki then found herself slightly reddening at that gesture. Didn’t he know he looked hot and cute at the same time when he did that? ‘Ugh! What’s happening with me’ She quickly turned away, afraid that Tomohisa might see her face reddening. “A-anou, ikou…”

It took an even longer time to get back from the shop to back home since Tomohisa kept dropping the canvases.

“Come on, we’re taking a shortcut!” Maki declared trying to hold back her laughter when one of the plastics holding Tomohisa’s canvas suddenly broke.

“Argh, dammit!” Tomohisa started struggling again and Maki had to stop since the laughter really just escaped her. With that, Tomohisa bowed his head in child-like embarrassment but couldn’t help but smile back. It was hard not to smile when Maki was laughing. “You could try helping me you know!”

“Maki-sensei!” A small voice called out. Tomohisa and Maki stopped what they were doing to see a man and a small boy heading their way.

“Ohayo gozaimasu Ren-kun.” Maki crouched and waited for the boy to reach her.

“Ohayou gozaimasu Maki-sensei.” The small boy smiled and waved just as he came face to face with Maki.

“You’re getting very big now ne? That’s good for a growing boy.” Maki laughed, rubbing the little boy’s arms.

“Mm! because someday I’m going to marry Maki-sensei!”

“Eh, you’re going to beat me to it Ren-kun?” The man who was with Ren finally spoke up as he carried the little boy. He turned to Maki with a dazzling smile. “Ohayou Maki.”

“Ah, ohayou Osamu.” Maki greeted with the same smile. She stood up from her crouching position, fixing her shorts.

Osamu raised an eyebrow when he noticed Tomohisa standing there right beside Maki whom immediately caught the atmosphere and introduced the two men.

“Osamu this is Yamaa Tomohisa, he’s Yamaa-san’s grandson.”

“Ah, welcome to Chiba, Mukai Osamu desu.” Osamu stretched out a hand which Tomohisa shook slowly. Their grips were firm and solid as they looked at each other.

“Thanks…”

“So are you staying here long?” Osamu asked, smiling lightly at Tomohisa.

The artist shrugged at first. “It depends, whenever I find what I’m looking for.”

The statement was too vague for Osamu and so he didn’t pursue the subject further. “Well, goodluck then…”

“Otou-san can we go and eat? Let’s take Maki-sensei with us!” Ren spoke up, tugging on Osamu’s leg. Osamu scooped the little boy up, holding him close. “Sure Ren if that’s alright with Maki?”

There was a slight hesitation but Maki continued speaking. “Ah gomenasai but I have to accompany Tomohisa back home.”

“Is he your boyfriend Maki-sensei?” Ren asked, innocent as a little bird. Maki and Tomohisa looked at each other and then came back Maki’s face-reddening. The woman cleared and then showed a smile to the boy. “Iie, Ren-kun, he’s not my boyfriend.” But it was as if she was directing the statement more to Osamu rather than to Ren. Tomohisa’s jaw clenched and he looked away for a second.

“That’s too bad then.” Osamu spoke up; a slight pout was beginning to form on his handsome face. “Some other time then ne Maki-sensei?”

“O-of course… some other time.” Maki replied.

The father and son walked away with little Ren waving goodbye to his teacher with a sad expression on his face. Maki quickly turned back to Tomohisa as if dodging the subject. “We should get back so you can set up.” And like the way to Canvas, the way back, things were quiet. It wasn’t until they reached the beach behind the bookstore that Tomohisa spoke up.

“You do know that that Mukai was flirting with you?”

Maki whirled around at the statement, her expression wondering and at the same time a little annoyed. “How can you say that…”

Scoffing Tomohisa looked at the woman. “I’m a guy, and I know how we flirt…”

“Look, you’ve only been her for two days and I’m pretty sure you don’t know Osamu that well yet.” Maki said as she helped him with the canvases.

Still, Tomohisa insisted. “He was using his son! And why was he flirting with you when he already has a son!”

That got Maki ticked. She turned to Tomohisa stopping right at the doorway. “For your information, Ren’s mother left them and Osamu has to raise Ren by his own and I commend him for that.” She the canvas unto Tomohisa’s chest. “People show you kindness Tomohisa but sometimes you can be a real jerk…” With that she moved away leaving Tomohisa with all of his art supplies. There was moment that passed until Tomohisa heard a click sound from above and he saw Mirai mocking shaking her head at him.

“Looks like someone’s a little jealous.”