Puppies and Sunsets

Kimi To Kaze To Mikazuki

It seemed like a large bucket of inspiration was thrown over and washing Tomohisa since he’d been working on his paintings for days! That was his schedule. He’d bring Maki to school, come back home, work on his paintings, sometimes help with the bookstore but then would work with his paintings again. Some would say his life was boring. But he was content and happy; happier than he’d been in his whole life. Seeing Maki, Mirai and his grandmother, Ryosuke with an added bonus just made his day even brighter. Maybe it was cheesy but he thought he deserved to be happy. The phone ringing in his pocket cut his daydream off. He glanced at the name and had to grimace slightly. Not that he didn’tlike his brother calling but he had a funny feeling of what Takuya would be calling about to him.

“What is it onii-san?”

“Is that how you greet your brother?” Takuya teased, trying to lighten up the already heavy atmosphere between them, even if it was just on the phone.

When Tomohisa didn’t answer, Takuya proceeded. “Look, otou-san is asking me when you’ll be coming back…”

It’s been a couple of months and Tomohisa never really thought about it, but now that someone was asking, he realized, he didn’t want to go back. “I- I don’t know yet.” He actually heard Takuya’s eyebrows raising from the other line. They must have a strong brotherly connection.  

“Well, elections are coming up and otou-san knows you’ll be a big support to him.” Takuya informed.

“I’ll try onii-san, don’t worry about it.” He didn’t allow the man on the other line to talk as he quickly clicked it shut. Sighing, he slumped down on his seat, looking at the painting he was closing to finishing in front of him. It was a painting of the beach, and there was a man standing by the water, the small waves hitting his ankles.

Looking at the time, he realized it was dismissal for Maki and her students. With a bounce in his step, he grabbed his brown jacket from where it was hanging then bounded outside, giving a quick wave to Ryosuke who helping a customer by the shelves.

There were a lot of parents at the kindergarten area, picking off their children. It seemed that he was a little too early because Maki’s class wasn’t dismissed yet. So he decided to sit by the waiting benches where mothers were chatting together.

The moment he stepped forward, all the older women turned to look at him, as if contemplating why the heck he was there. They looked like vultures examining a dead carcass. Putting on the famous Tomohisa half smile which worked (probably on Maki the most), he sat down and that seemed to work for the ladies.

“I haven’t seen you around here, is your child a new student?” One of the mom’s asked.

Tomohisa choked on his own bile. He wasn’t ready to be a father yet! But he would love it if he was the dad of Maki’s children. Wow, where did that come from? “Ah, iie, I’m here to pick up my girlfriend.” He liked that word, girlfriend. “Horikita-sensei.” He cleared out.

“oh! You’re Horikita-sensei’s boyfriend!” The woman exclaimed, causing all the other parents to look their direction. “My, what a beautiful couple you two make.”

Tomohisa smiled in reply. Why yes, he had to admit that he and Maki did make for a beautiful couple and whoever would say otherwise was a blind idiot.

Later, a crowd started gathering by the gates as the children ran to their parents, happy to head on home. In Tomohisa’s case, he was happy to see his girlfriend heading his way but he noticed that she was with a small kid. If he remembered correctly, the kid was named Ren, that Osamu fellow’s kid.

“Oh hey.” Maki greeted, softly kissing his lips in which he returned.

Ren stood beside the woman, smiling cheekily at the both of them. Tomohisa had to admit, the kid was as cute as a cotton ball.

“I have to take Ren home, Osamu can’t pick him up because he’s held up at work.” Maki explained.

Though he wasn’t really up to it, Tomohisa nodded his head. “Sure…” He’d deal with this green eyed creature inside of him just because Maki seemed so close to Osamu. But he was reminded that she was his now. Anyone who would steal her away from him would be getting a big black eye.

Maki held little Ren’s hand while Tomohisa held hers and he led them to crossing the street.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

 Mirai felt her nose hurting. Maybe because she was so exhausted with listening to the lecture. She removed her glasses and massaged her hurting nose-bridge and settled the eyepieces down on her desk. Only 10 more minutes until dismissal. When she turned her head, she came face to nothing with Ryo’s blank desk. Later they were all going to visit him at the hospital.

The bell finally rang. Almost all went ahead to go home. She was a little slow in fixing her things and was always the last to go. Of course, Suzuka was there to wait for her. The young woman smiled at her, holding her books close.

“Ikou Suzu-chan?” Mirai smiled.

Her friend nodded as they headed out of the classroom. They reached the gates with Suzuka chattering up but she stopped when she realized that Ryosuke was there in his usual spot. The young man smiled softly and waved at her when he saw them.

Suzuka tensed for a second as she turned to her friend. “Anou, so are you still going to visit Ryo?”

Mirai looked at the expecting Ryosuke before making a decision. She turned back to Suzuka. “Ah, hai, you guys go on ahead. I’ll visit him some other time.”

Suzuka moved on along, nodding her head at Ryosuke.

“I-ikou?” Mirai asked once she was face to face with Ryosuke. But the young man noticed something. He turned his head to where Suzuka and MIirai’s other friends were and saw that they were looking at his direction.

“Were you supposed to go somewhere?” He already felt it.

“Ah iie.” Mirai smiled. She could visit Ryo some other time. Right now, she knew she wanted to make it up to Ryosuke. “Let’s go?”

Hesitantly, Ryosuke nodded his head even though it was clear that he knew Mirai was supposed to go somewhere else.  

“You aren’t wearing your glasses.” Ryosuke pointed out.

Mirai realized it herself and chuckled slowly. “Yeah, I think my eyesight is getting higher again because I felt a little dizzy.”

“Are you alright?”

“Hai daijoubou desu…”

Good. Ryosuke needed that clarified. They had to pass by a small park to get on home when Mirai stopped from walking.

“What is it?” Ryosuke asked.

Mirai didn’t answer. She stooped down low, peeking at the bushes. This brought Ryosuke to join her in this mysterious activity. “Mi-Mirai-chan, what are you do--”

“Ssshh…”

They stayed quiet until Ryosuke heard a tiny squeak. “…was that.”

“Ryou it’s a puppy!” Mirai happily pulled the poor animal out of the bushes and cradled it closer to her. It was a really small puppy. An akita inu! “Ryou it’s so cute!” Mirai said, cradling the puppy closer to her face. She was no longer crouching. The puppy, in its own happiness, moved closer and Mirai’s cheek.

“He msut’ve been left here… you’re coming home with me yes you are!” Mirai cradled the dog closer.

Ryosuke couldn’t help it himself and moved to scratch the puppy’s ear. He had an inkling that Yamaa-san and Maki wouldn’t mind bringing the dog there.

“What are you going to name him?” Ryosuke asked. It was a ‘him’ right? He crouched and checked. Yup, definitely.

“How about Ryosuke?”

“Eh?”

“What?”

“You are not naming a dog after me!”

Mirai laughed. “Fine, I’ll name him Onigiri…”

“Onigir?” Ryosuke raised an eyebrow. What the—

“He looks cute enough to eat!” Mirai reasoned out.

At that Ryosuke shook his head. He didn’t care what the name was. He was just happy seeing Mirai smile. Someday maybe he’d have the guts to confess to her. But right now, just being with her, enjoying her company, feels so right.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

Tomohisa watched as Maki conversed with Ren while they walked to the direction of the kid’s house. Maki really was good with kids. Was it possible that everyday, just seeing her, he fell in love more and more? God, he never felt this way about anyone before.

“Tomo?”

“Huh?”

Maki smiled up at him and held his hand. “We’re here…”

Ren and his dad lived in a quaint apartment. At least the surroundings looked clean and very safe.

“Ah, it looks like your otou-san is home!” Maki announced, carrying little Ren in her arms. She knocked on the door while Tomohisa stayed close to her. It opened, revealing Osamu in a frilly pink apron. Tomohisa chuckled to himself, covering his mouth. Good thing he didn’t show it or Osamu might kick him out of the apartment.

“Otou-san tadaima!”

Ren greeted Osamu who went to carry the young boy. “Have you been a good boy to Maki-sensei?” Osamu asked his son.

“Hai!” The young boy chirped up.

Maki laughed slowly, ruffling Ren’s hair. She stepped back and gestured to Tomohisa. “Osamu, you remember Tomo.”

“Ah of course…” Osamu stretched out his hand after settling Ren down on the floor.

Tomohisa shook it, smirking to himself. He distinctly remembered that this man was, to his observation, liked Maki. Well tough luck pal.

“Maki-sensei, I have to show you something!” Ren suddenly pulled Maki to his room, laving th two handsome men inside the kitchen.

There was an awkward silence. Tomohisa just had to remind himself that he wasn’t the one wearing a frilly apron.

“So, are you and Maki… together?” Osamu asked hesitantly. Most possible that he himself didn’t want to think it was true.

“I believe so.” Tomohisa said proudly. Being possessive or not, he wanted people to know Maki was his  and his only. These feelings were new and foreign but didn’t feel scary for him at all. For a moment, Osamu stood there, his back against the counter, looking at Tomohisa as if he was sizing him up. Tomohisa kept his cool and stared back. Then Osamu straightened up and smiled.

“I’m happy for Maki-chan then. But remember this Yamaa-san…” Osamu moved closer. “You hurt her and I promise you’ll regret ever coming to Chiba.”

Tomohisa smirked arrogantly. Osamu was a few inches taller than him but he didn’t care. “Daijobou Mukai-san. I can assure you, I will never hurt Maki, and I will never regret coming to Chiba.”

“Ah, Ren fell asleep!” Maki announced as she came back into the room just in time for Maki and Osamu to lose their defensive stances. With the same smile still on her face, she approached Tomohisa, grasping the man’s hand for her won comfort. “Jaa, Tomo and I need to get home, are you alright here then Osamu?”

“Hai, arigato again Maki…” Osamu replied.

“We’ll be going then now…”

The couple bid their goodbyes, Osamu still looking warily at Tomohisa. It was twilight, Tomohisa could tell from his eyes fogging because of the loss of light. He held Maki’s hand in his, smiling at the woman. Who knew? He wouldn’t have thought he’d fall in love with this girl. Thoughts kept echoing through his mind as they reached a small park. He loved her charm most of all and how that seemed to match with him.

They were almost out of the park but Maki stopped slowly at a clearing, her voice soft as she said; “Oh look, the sunset is so beautiful…”

Yes it was. Tomohisa agreed completely. He turned to the woman but she was too busy staring at the beautiful scene. He had to this now or he’ll chicken out.

“Maki-chan.

“Hmm?” Maki turned to him and he literally lost his breath for a while. Tomohisa his drying lips for a moment then moved closer.

“Tomo?” Maki questioned.

But Tomohisa only moved closer and closed the distance between them. “I’m in love with you Maki.” He said before capturing her lips in the most passionate kiss he had ever done in his life. Maki gasped slowly when they parted, her arms now around the man. At first Tomohisa looked unsure if he should’ve done that but Maki pulled him closer again. “I’m in love with you too.” And she kissed him yet again, just as the sun set in-front of them.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

AN: Hey guys! Like the chapter? comment please! and thank you to those silent readers too! XD In my estimation, this story would end in about two chapters.. it comes with an epilogue though! :D