Prologue

Kimi To Kaze To Mikazuki

 

“Ne ne Maki-chan! Come and draw with me?”

“Eh? But I don’t know how to draw!”

“I’ll teach you come on!” A 12-year old Tomohisa giggled as she pulled the girl who was peacefully reading from the couch and to the floor. Pieces of paper and crayons were strewn all across the carpet.

“Tomo, Maki, promise me you’ll clean those up when you’re done okay?”

“Hai obaa-chan!” The two children nodded, smiling to the elderly woman who was carrying and pacifying a baby girl. The rain that night proved merciless. It actually rained the whole day and now that the night has come, it still wouldn’t stop.

“Ne Tomo does this look like a bunny rabbit?” The 9-year old girl held up her newly finished drawing, showing it to the boy.

There was a moment’s hesitation as the boy titled his head to the left, then to the right, then to the left again. In agitation he scratched the back of his head. “I thought it was a bear—itai!” He pouted as he rubbed his arm. “What was that for?!”

Maki pouted back. “You’re making fun of me!”

“Aww, look I was just joking!” Tomohisa stood on his knees then moved closer to Maki, showing her how to draw. “See, this is how you draw a bunny rabbit!”

Yamaa-san, Tomohisa’s grandma, shook her head as she watched the two children. To be innocent and always happy; how she remembered the days. Little Mirai in her arms was now fast asleep so she laid the baby on the small cot, making sure she wouldn’t get cold. A series of hurried knocks came from the door causing Yamaa-san to turn her head over to the entrance. Something wasn’t right, she instantly felt it.

She opened the door to see two police officers, soaked from the rain. “Hai?”

“Are you Yamaa Tomoe-san? Horikita Maki and Horikita Mirai’s godmother?”

 

Little Maki and Tomohisa watched as Yamaa-san talked with the two officers. It was then that the elderly woman turned to the two children with the saddest expression on her face.