What I Have in Mind

He's a girl

 

 

 

Ren shove out the bananas to Jiyeon.

“I have never know you love bananas too Jiyeon.”

“That is because I have never told you.”

“Well, you should have. Because I will pack more for you if you did.”

Jiyeon smiled at him and shook her head.

“We just had sandwiches that were pack for 5, oppa. I don’t think I can eat more than 2 bananas at this rate.”

“Yeah, you’re right princess. Besides, too much bananas can kill you. It’s poisoning.”

"You're not serious, right oppa?”

“Yes. It’s true. Bananas have their poisons too. It contains potassium and too much can kill you. Amber told me that.”

“So, you can actually die from eating banana?”

“You can. From eating too many. You would get kill from potassium poisoning.”

“Is it two is too many?”

“I didn’t say two would be too many though. Just be careful. Perhaps ten, twenty… Although I don’t know how many is considered as a lethal dose.”

“Who would want to eat twenty bananas? A cool way to suicide though!”

Ren laugh frantically as he saw Jiyeon was being excited all of a sudden. He was going to reply it all reasonable and stiff, ‘There is no cool way to commit suicide, Jiyeon.’ But he just laughed instead.

“Or maybe if you live at a banana plantation. And, you’re quite depressed. That would change the perspective.”

Jiyeon let out a small giggle while munching her banana. She was having fun looking at Ren who was holding his side as he was laughing too much.

“But maybe… You could murder somebody with bananas. I don’t know how you’re going to get them eat it though. I mean, you would have to put a gun to ask them to eat, but if you has a gun why bother telling them to eat bananas?” Ren said while clutching his stomach.

This time, Jiyeon laugh together with Ren. She nodded vigorously while looking at Ren.

“I think it could work oppa. Just think. It will be a perfect crime. All you had to do was telling them to eat banana. And they would choose that over a gun. They don’t know the truth and people would think that it was just a mere accident. You can write a detective story with it. Cool!”

“You’re such a weirdo, Jiyeon…”

She smiles again at Ren. That’s Jiyeon for Ren. The one who would always smile for him. That was the main reason why he falls for that girl on the first place. He loves her to bit. Ren who would never think of others except his fashionista look, flawless face, was trying to date a girl. Everybody was dumbfounded at first but things get better with time. People accept it well, thinking everybody would have that kind of moment in their life. As the matter fact, they had always had a good laugh together. That was Ren’s only catchphrase; you need a good laugh in life. Even if you’re heartbroken. Or maybe especially if you are heartbroken.

“Oppa has such a great mom.”

“What? Why all of a sudden? Tell me more.”

“She wasn’t much of a cook. But, she makes a good sandwich. And, she cares about us all too.”

“Wow… What a nice words from a beautiful Jiyeon.”

“Thank you.”

“But yes. She was terrible at dinner. My dad was better. Not that very better. But he was better.”

“I would love to try your dad’s cooking soon.”

“Oh I promise you, you will. He is having a business meeting in Australia now, so he’s a bit busy. It’s not easy to deal with two things in the same time. Job and family.”

“I know. Jiyeon’s family was like that too.” Jiyeon said while playing with her hair.

 

 

“That’s why I glad I have mom. She was always there for me. Now that I remember, it was far different from my biological mom.”

Jiyeon went still for a moment as the word 'biological' come over.

“You have never talk about her oppa.”

“Because there is nothing to actually talk about. I lose her when I was 5. They are not as much of memory as I wish I had. She was a nice mom. The only fault she has was because she had a job to deal. So, she kind of neglects me. I remember that one day she comes to me while crying. I keep asking what happen and she won’t talk until dad come to us. I heard she told dad that she got scold by her superior. It was mad that night. I can’t sleep at all. All of us three were sitting on my small bed. I think that was the only nice memory I had with her. I try to remember something else but I just can’t figure it out. Oh. I remember she was a secretive type too. Dad assures me of that. He said that mom sure knows how to hide her secret well. That explains why she won’t talk to me that night.”

“Oppa cry too?”

“Erm. From the first glance that I had when I saw tears strolling down her cheeks. Yes, I cry. I was small at that time, I was allowed to cry. I had grudge over her for a few months at that age. I feel like I was betrayed. My own mom didn’t believe me. Wants to hide something from me. I feel like she didn’t love me, never cared for what I have in my mind. But, when the time past, I finally understand of inabilities of a human; there is no such a see-through someone’s mind. I was startled at that time. Of how I act to my mom as if it was her fault. Tch. I was a kid afterall.”

“You want cry now too?”

“No, Jiyeon. I’m all grown up now, why should I cry?”

“Because there is something that upset you. Nobody sets an age to cry. You can just cry if you feel like to. Nobody would stop you. I won’t stop oppa too.”

Ren smile genuinely looking at Jiyeon. He caresses the latter face, brushing the hair that get into her beautiful face.

“And this is why I love you.”

 

 

Amber’s POV

“Where are we going?”

Ljoe started a conversation as we’re waiting for the lift. Chunji shrugged his shoulders as if the question was for him. I have never said it wasn’t though, looking at how Ljoe can’t keep his eyes off over Chunji. There is some weird chemistry between the two that I think everyone in here would have felt it.

Back to the question, it’s night right now, about 9 pm I guess (since I forgot to bring my watch with me. Yes. Bless my unsteady mind for that.) And we definitely have to fill something to our stomach. It is dinner time! I have wait for quite a while for this. Well, let me tell you something regarding this place. As most of you reader probably knows by now, we’re in Gyeongju. So, we’re heading out for some of the delicacies in here. I have looked it up and it was just a few walks from this hotel. And, I bet the food here is super delicious. And by delicious, I mean like ‘I’m so going to come here again even if it was just for this food.’ Yeah. Something like that. Forgive me for my excitement; I have this disease of what people call as food complex.

But, in case any of you are going to ask why did Chunji and Ljoe could not find any shops in here earlier, creating an idea of Gyeongju is like a dead town, well don’t blame me.  I mean, the heck they are going to find any if they are busy being cats and dogs? Must be some complicated friendship they had there. Don’t get me wrong though. I would never judge someone by what I saw. I listened to their stories too.

“We’re going to a place. You had a problem with that?” Ren answers him with sarcasm. He rolled his eyes and Ren reply it back with a smirk.

That was funny. The way they communicate with each other through eyes. I did smile. It is good enough I did smile. More than enough for Ren. I saw Chunji was looking at me as I smile. Oh. It was good as you ask me. It was far better than he being all stiff and keeps avoiding my eyes. Way better. I feel like a hideous weirdo each time he did that. I don’t even know why I feel that. But, I just did.

Situation was quite tensed after that. Ren and Jiyeon walk ahead of us, leaving us three behind. And, to make it worse, I was between the best friends. Uff. Pretty awkward. I saw Chunji was trying to start a conversation a few times but he just failed to do so. I guessed he should blame Ljoe later since that guy was busy being a rock star. I’m not lying. He keeps posing as a rock star, singing the song out loud with an air-guitar. Not to add his too loud music. He was wearing an earphone but I can listen clearly each word of the song. I wonder what will happen to his hearing in 5 year times if he keeps acting like this.

Well well well… Let’s get back to the story. I bet most of you are already tired with my narration. We finally arrive to the restaurant.

“So it’s here? We’re going out for dinner? Somebody should have blurt out something earlier.”

Ljoe finally put off his mp3. Everybody didn’t pay attention to his question considering it wasn’t that important. We choose a table and sit.

“Ok. What’s for dinner guys?”

I look up to Chunji and he smile and shrugged it off. A sign of ‘anything’s fine’. Ok. I’ll order jajangmyun for him.

“Jampong for me and… Jiyeon?”

“I want Gyeongju bread, oppa!”

“Err… Jiyeon-ah. I doubt they are serving Gyeongju bread in a restaurant like this. But, I’ll ask. What do you want as exchange?” I try to persuade her.

“They don’t have the delicious Gyeongju Bread?”

“I… don’t think so, Jiyeon.”

“Yeah. Pick something else. Samgyetang. You said you want to eat it earlier, right?”

“I’ll go with it then, oppa...” I can smell sorrow in her tone. Tch. Childish little cutie Jiyeon.

I then turn to Ljoe who was scratching his head and frowning over the menu.

“You can’t read Hangul?”

He looks at me in surprised.

“How do you know?”

“You look like your eyes are going to pull off from staring at the menu.”

He smiles at me as I said that and hand over the menu to me.

“I’ll read for you.”

He shakes his head.

“No need. Choose one for me.”

“But, I don’t know what is good in here.”

“It’s okay. I’ll eat anything. You suggest is for me right? I’ll eat it because you told me so.”

He gave a smirk. Like one nauseating flirtatious smirk. The one that start to make me feel sick in the inside. That might cause me to throw up later. Like a flirty old man. Yeah. That would describe him well. Although, I did have a feeling that the smirk have gave him the abilities to catch up thousands of girls’ heart.

Chunji keep changing his stares between me and Ljoe. I have never brag about myself, but I’m pretty sure this Ljoe guy was trying to be more than nice. And, Chunji realise that too. That would explain the reason he was being a herring, staring at us two as if we’re his favourite food.

“How’s your father?”

Chunji asks Ljoe who was busy with his chopstick. This time, instead of air-guitar, he uses table-drum.

“Huh? Oh my father? He’s fine. All fine.” He said while mumbling the lyrics.

“When are you planning to go home?”

“Not for a while.”

He looks at me and let out a wink that divert Chunji’s attention to me.

“I have an unfinished business, ain’t it so Amber?”

Wait. Why me? Erghhhh. I hate when people start to make their problem as mine.

“But I thought it was finished already? I mean you find the person that you track. It’s Chunji, right?”

His expression change for a few second but he smiles again. Chunji on other hand was frowning to me.

“Glad you’re a genius after all. But, I still don’t have any plan to go back this soon.”

“What about your studies?” Chunji ask.

“I didn’t think about that yet.”

“Well, you should have. You’re going to lose a lot of thing once you come back. What are you going to do about that?”

“Hey, Chunji… Cool down. It’s not like I ever pay any attention to the teachers even if I’m in the class, remember? I’ll figure out something.”

“You have to think thoroughly about this, Ljoe.”

“I will, Chunji. Thanks for your concern.”

“Come to our school.”

Everyone turn to Jiyeon with a surprise look.

“Erm… Jiyeon-ah. Listen here… The curricular in England was not the same in Korea. In a simple word, it is as if he gets nothing if study in here.”

“No. I think Jiyeon has her point. Yeah. Why don’t I just come to your school, huh guys?”

“I don’t think you understand this well Ljoe… Our education was done in Hangul. How come you go to a school when you can’t even read?”

Chunji try to persuade him from doing something that he is going to regret later. Well, if you ask me, I would say that Ljoe is going to go with anything that is in his head. Following Jiyeon’s idea. So, there's no point at all try to change his mind anymore.

“Amber will do the reading for me.”

“What? But-“ I was trying to come with the best excuse ever to escape from the problems that might come later but he cut me off.

“You volunteered too before right? Besides, I just can’t read. I understand Korean language well. See? I’m communicating with you guys in Korean. What’s the problem?”

The problem is you’re going to make others suffer for your own little mistake later. Oh there you go pretty boy. I’ve said it all. Even though, I didn’t actually say it out loud and you couldn’t read my mind to hear it but I’ve said it. So, serve you right.

“This is good. I can spend more time here without have to worry about anything now.”

He seems too sure of it and I have to admit I was more to scary when I saw his determined face. Gosh. How am I going to escape this one? Ergh.

Chunji stare at him for a while and sigh. I would do the same if you ask me. My own friend was doing things like the world is revolving around him. Narcissistic Personality Disorder Symptoms if you ask me. And it didn’t seem like it’s going to cure without any counselling session.

We are having kind of peaceful dinner a little after. Ljoe can’t stop his determined smile, Chunji was frowning all along and Jiyeon is busy with Ren talking about something that I don’t understand. I can’t hear it well too since they keep whispering to each other.

We was walking back and out of blue I saw somebody was approaching us with a can of beer in his hand. I quickly went in front of Chunji; holding up my hand, protecting him. He was surprised at first, but as he eventually realise the real situation he run to my front and did the same.

“No.” He said.

“Don’t.” He repeats in a stern voice. Something that I have never had in mind if we’re talking about Chunji Daniels. Ljoe turn to him, widening his eyes.

The drunk ahjussi smirk and sit in front of us.

“Lovers?” He asks.

“Are you okay, sir?” I shut him off. The question that makes me regret after that. The question that cause him to sobs loudly.

“My girlfriend just dumps me. We’re supposed to come here, had fun with each other but she leave me for some other bastard. She has always loved me. Well, at least that was what I thought she had for me. Then she runs off cheating behind me. I’m so sad but I don’t know why I can’t cry.”

He continues his sobs. Well, maybe because she doesn’t deserve your tears ahjussi. I wish I could say that but I don’t want to worsen out the situation.

“I know that feeling, sir. I feel you.”

I swear I saw Ljoe was looking at Chunji as he said that but I don’t want to jump to any conclusion for the time being. So, I come closer to the ahjussi instead.

“Where are you going? Are you alone?”

He was saying something gibberish that makes us frowning.

“I’m confused.” Ljoe mouthed to me.

“Do you have someone that I can call to pick you up, ahjussi?”

I try asking again and lucky for me this time, he pull a phone from his pocket and shove it to me.

“Check the inbox.” Chunji said.

“You’ll find the girlfriend’s number.”

I immediately call the number and tell her to pick him up. This is one huge problem I tell you. I have never entangled in this kind of problem before so I was quite shocked. In the other hand, it didn’t bother the other four at all. I bet they have a lot of experience already. Although I don't know where would they get one.

We leave the ahjussi behind when his girlfriend come. They were quite a show. Everybody keep staring when the girlfriend suddenly shouts, blaming at him for not being faithful at first and bla bla bla. After all, it was not something that I would do, listening to something that I shouldn’t have. Just like Chunji and Ljoe case this afternoon. I would never budge an eye if Ren didn’t call me over. I seriously thought something serious was happenning. And by serious, I mean something like building’s in fire, someone want to commit a suicide or even a big criminal case was happening. Well, something like that. Not when a best friends was having a fight. I mean, every single friend in this world, will sometimes argue with their friend, right? What is so weird about that? Even though I have to agree their fight was far from what I would have expected from a guy’s argument.

“Spacing out is not good for health Amber.”

I turn to Ljoe that was smiling to me. Again. I’m starting to dislike his smile now. It was so flirtatious that it started to disgust me.

“Says who?”

Chunji reply it back to him before I could. Oh. I don’t like this. I had a feeling they are going to fight. For me. Ok. That was far from definition of good. That was bad. Like dead bad. I’m dead.

“I don’t know Chunji. Do I have to search for it to satisfy you?”

“Hey… Nobody is going to search about anything. Ok?”

Let’s just have a simple walk to the room guys… Please?

“I’m kidding Amber. Lighting up the mood… Can’t I?”

I like it better when you was busy being a rock star than this. Ergh.

“I didn’t mean so. Oh look at that! The sky was beautiful tonight huh? You can never witness such a clear sky with stars like this in Seoul.”

Chunji nod vigorously to me and look up to the sky.

“This is beautiful.” He says while smiling delightedly.

“I think I’m starting to love this place, Amber.”

“Me too. How I wish we can live in here.”

“Yeah… If and only if.” He smiles again.

Gosh… I just love his smile. It was so pure and innocent. As if nothing could hold him from giving out that smile for others.

“I’ve seen something prettier than this.”

I turn to Ljoe with a disgust look.

“Well, at least somebody like it. I have never asked for your opinion, Ljoe.”

Finally. I could open up myself. I have been holding up for a while I think. He deserves that.

“I’m sorry if I hurt you in any way Amber. I absolutely didn’t mean that.”

“Enjoy the show then. Keep it to yourself what you have in your mind in case it’s going to hurt other soon.”

“Ren…”

“What? He was being to rude to you!”

“I’m sure he didn’t mean that way. And, he explains it just then too, right?”

“Tch. I don't know if you’re too nice or you just dumb.” 

I was going to make a fuss over him but I canceled it as I don't want to cause another problem.

“Let’s just watch the stars guys. This is too beautiful.” Chunji said while Jiyeon nod at him.

They would make a lovely pair if you tell me. Only that Jiyeon belongs to Ren and I don’t think Chunji would like the idea too. I have a feeling that he wouldn’t choose a girl like Jiyeon to love. Not one of his types I guess. Although I don’t even know what kind of girl he would date actually. Never would ask and don’t ever think I will. I don’t have any reason with me. I just… Don’t. Not for the time being I guess. If that sounds better for you people.