The Way To You, Me and Him

He's a girl

Chunji walk away from Amber’s house after he makes sure Amber gets inside safely. The person that keeps watching him intensely still hides behind the bushes. As he saw Chunji walk slowly from Amber’s house, he takes the opportunity and shows his identity to the latter.

“Long time no see, Chunji.”

Chunji widen his eyes as he gets the real picture of the person. He stops his steps and avoid the person’s deep stare.

Ljoe’s POV

I can’t keep my eyes off him. No. I just refuse to do so.

“W-what are you doing here, Ljoe?”

I sense nervousness in his words. I was not expecting any welcoming party or what but the way he sounds make it like he wishes I was not there at the moment. He was looking at me but I could feel the emptiness of the eyes.

“Ljoe? Are you listening?”

“You know why I’m here, Chunji. I don’t really have to explain everything to you, right?”

“If this is about-“

“Let me say something first, Chunji.”

“… Okay.”

“I don’t like the way you look at that boy just then. It… Kind of freak me out.”

His expression change when I said that. I know I should not say that. I know that our relationship has come to its end. But, I have promise myself, to Eunmi and even to dad that I’m going to bring Chunji back to England with me. How am I going to do so if those sparkles eyes do not belong to me anymore? And, the most terrifying thing for me might even become a reality. He has changed.

He was just staring at me. This is not a pitiful stare or what but he was literally staring at me. I guess he has nothing to stand for himself. And, that… Have made it worse.

“I’ve received your postcards Ljoe. I have to apologize on behalf of my dad. He hides them from me. I have to say… I was touched. Thank you.”

“What a gratitude you have there.”

“Ljoe… This is not the time for this. I-“

“I didn’t come here for you.”

And, I walk away from him with that verse. I do not think I care what he thinks of me anymore. The only thing for sure is, I was hurt.

Yes. I am hurt.

End of POV

***

It has been week since Chunji knows Amber’s real identity and it has been a little awkward for both of them. Chunji tries his best not to meet Amber even though she was doing the opposite. For one whole week, Amber keeps going to his class to have a talk with him but he keeps making excuses. She did realise that Chunji is avoiding her. Well, she is not fool anyway. But, she still tries her best to get everything back in track.

On the other hand, Chunji was also worried for the fact Ljoe has succeed in finding him in Korea. He has nowhere to run now and he cannot even make any excuse now. By hook or by crook, he has to confront Ljoe. I guess he still doesn’t know where I live. But why did he go to Amber’s house that day then? Did they know each other? Aish. Too much too things, I don’t even know what to do anymore.

Ren was walking in the school’s corridor when he saw a familiar build. He immediately run toward the person and tap his shoulder.

“Oh, Ren. What’s up?”

“Hey. It’s have been a while, huh? You don’t have class?”

“Ah. Teacher is becoming lazier by day I guess. We keep getting our free time nowadays.”

“Me too. I’m wandering for Jiyeon, but she had class now.”

“Really? Too bad then. I bet you want to spend some time with her, right?”

“A day wouldn’t be enough for me, Chunji. Why are you here alone? Your classmates hate you?” Ren grinned.

“Aniya. What nonsense are you talking about? I’m fine. I just need my time.”

“Again?”

Ren let out a deep sigh that caught up Chunji’s attention.

“What?”

“Okay. So let me get this straight. You two have make up, right?”

“Who?”

“You and Amber dumb dumb.”

“Erm… Y-yeah?”

Chunji answered hesitantly.

“So, why are you still being like this?”

“Because I…”

Chunji stuck at the line. He does not have any reason to come up with. And, he cannot think of any.

“I don’t have any excuse to come up with.”

“Why should you need one in the first place? Just be nice to Amber. Act like you use to before.”

“It feels… Weird. It is so awkward, Ren.”

“Don’t tell me you have never had a girl as your friend before.”

“No. It’s not like that. I mingle around girls a lot.”

“Great! So, what’s the problem?”

“The problem is… I don’t know my own self. I become so weird lately that I think I’m ready to be thrown over a mental institute. It’s like I’m changing to some unexplainable phases. It is way too weird that I think someone change their body with mine.”

“Wow. You sound like you need a counsellor.”

“Oh... I don’t know.”

“Hey. What’s going man? You know you can tell me. I mean, I’m not a professional but I’ll do my best.”

“I have told you before… I don’t know, Ren.”

“Then don’t. Why bother finding the source if you know it’s going to give you a headache soon? Let’s just live the life, Chunji. Let the mystery solve by itself. For the time being, just let it be like that. You’re going to be fine, friend. I mean, if you think too much, you’ll just end up hurting yourself.”

“You think everything is going to be okay if I did that?”

“Heck yeah. That’s how I rolled dude!”

“For the time being, just let it slide. Yeah. That’s a good idea you have there, Ren!”

“I know I’m fit enough to be a psychologist.”

“Yeah, you sure do Ren.”

“Since everything has been resolved, let’s go escape to the place that I told you before!”

“What? What place?”

“Oh come one, Chunji! Let’s have fun! It’s summer now!”

“So?”

“Ergh. It’s a waste talking to you. I’ll text you later.”

“Wait Ren! Ren! I don’t even get to say anything.”

***

Ljoe kick all the cans that he found on the road. It has been a while I’ve been here. If it’s not because the problem I had with Eunmi and dad, everything will be alright. Now that my dad knows my location, things will not going to be smooth anymore. I have to make sure everything settled by this 2 months’ time. How do I make that happen if I know nothing about what happen between that Amber guy and Chunji then? Argh! I can't keep things unresolved like this. Yeah. I can’t postpone things anymore. I do not have enough time left with me. I need to reorganize things and plan everything throughout again.

Ljoe was busy thinking to himself when he saw Jiyeon was dropping Ren from the car. He quickly rushes to the two.

“Annyong, oppa!”

“Erm… Be careful on your way back, okay?”

“Arasso.”

“Hello.”

“Oh? Annyong cute guy!”

“What? Aish! Why are you here?”

“I need to find out something here. And, you guys have to help me.”

“Why should we do that? We don’t have time to waste for a guy like you.”

“This is DAMN important to me!”

“Do not talk like that to me or I’ll slap you to death!”

“You what? Ergh… Anyway, who is Amber to Chunji? Or did you guys call him with him Korean name? Hmm… Chanhee? Lee Chanhee? Yeah. What did he have to do with Amber?”

“Chanhee? His name is Chanhee??”

“That… Just sounds weird oppa. I have never had a friend with that name."

“I know right? Hey. We call him Chunji too.”

“So you guys know him?”

“Yeah. Chunji is our friend.”

“That guy makes friends? A guys friends?”

“You should watch out your mouth. You shouldn’t talk like that over some person that you don’t know well.”

“Just answer the question would you?”

“Relax, would you? Well, we spend time together a lot. I think we’re the first friends he had here. If that going to answer your question then.”

“He is never like that. What did he’s up to now?”

“You talk like you know him a lot. Hey. What’s your identity dude? You didn’t come here to steal my girlfriend??”

“No, I’m not! Why the hell should I steal someone’s girlfriend if I already had mine?”

“You have a girlfriend?”

“Well, kind of. Why?”

“No wonder.”

“Why did you say that Jiyeon?”

“Well, I’ve told you he’s cute, oppa. He totally deserves a girlfriend.”

“And I am not then?”

“You have me. Why should you have others, oppa? And you, Ljoe. Your name is Ljoe, right? If you have so many questions to ask, why don’t you just go ask from the person himself then? It’s not like I am rude enough to keep your question unanswered, I just don’t want my oppa to keep being jealous of you. It’s not good for his health too. So if you excuse us, we have better things to do now. Goodbye.”

Jiyeon grab Ren’s hand and walk away leaving Ljoe bewildered of the statement. But before Ljoe could snap out of reality, Jiyeon turns again to him.

“Oh. Since we’re at this, why don’t you just join us instead? Be here tomorrow at 8.30 in the morning. Chunji is going to be here too. Pack some clothes because we’ve plan something fun to play!”

“Where are you heading?”

“Somewhere. We’ll tell you tomorrow right, oppa?”

“Hmm? Y-yeah. Well, I think so.” Ren was still in dazed as Jiyeon talks well today.

“It’s going to be 2 days 1 night vacation, so make sure you’re ready, okay? Annyong!”

“Okay. Have a nice day too.”

***

“Oh omma!”

“Nope.”

“Pleaseeeeeeeeee.”

“Still nope. I’m cooking here, can’t you see?!”

“Aishhhh. I need it to send message to someone.”

“Who? Your girlfriend?”

“Huh? You know her?”

“I can’t believe Jiyeon pick you as her boyfriend. I mean, what did she saw in you?”

“The same thing I should ask dad. I don’t even know what did he think when he marry you. You was so fierce, can’t even cook and always- OUCH! WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU, MOM?!!”

“You deserve my spatula young boy. Now go to your room.”

“Ahhhhhhhh! I want my phone back! You don’t understand me, mom. And how come you are cooking every time I have to talk to you?”

“Ergh. I do this for you, Choi Minki. Can’t you see I’m packing some sandwich for your trip tomorrow?”

“Wow. That’s so nice of you, mom. I’m thankful enough to have such a great mother like you. But, I really need my phone now.”

“If you are desperate enough to use a phone, why don’t you ask it from Amber then?”

***

Amber was packing her stuff for the trip when a loud banging heard on her door.

“You’re going to break my door, Minki.” Amber says as she open it.

“We don’t have time to care for a door now. Give me your phone. PALLI!”

“What? Hey. What are you doing?”

“Sshh! We don’t have time. I need to inform Chunji about our plan.”

“You didn’t tell him yet?!”

“I forget, Amber. And, you know that mom confiscate my phone, right?”

“You always forget things, Choi Minki!!”

“Yah! That’s hurt! This is the reason I can’t remember anything, you keep smacking my head!”

“Shut up. Just call him already.”

***

Chunji was just finished from night exercise. He went to his room and saw his mom is putting something in his desk.

“Mom, what is this?”

“Ah… You said you’re going to a trip with your friends, right? I prepared some food for you guys.”

“Wow… This is sure a feast, mom! When did you prepare this?”

“This is nothing, Chunji… I’ll be happy if you have fun with your friends there.”

“Thank you, mom. I’m sure they’re going to enjoy this too tomorrow.”

“Where do you said you’re going again? At what time? You have to wake up early to prepare yourself, right?”

“Well, Ren still didn’t say anything about that. All I know is we’re going there by his mom’s car and I have to go wait at his house.”

“Ah… Really? It would be bad if you don’t know when they will leave.”

“I thought so too mom but I can’t contact Ren because he offs his phone and I don’t have Jiyeon’s number.”

“What about Amber then? You can call him, right?”

“Amber? Mom… Actually, Amber is a-“

“It’s like maeil maeil Everyday ya~ Nae mami apa oneunde dapdaphan mameul niga alli eopjanha~”

“Isn’t that your phone, Chunji? Pick it up.”

“Oh okay, mom?”

Chunji rush toward his desk to pick the phone up. He startled when he look at the screen. Amber? Why did she call me?

“H-hello?”

“Chunji! We’re going to depart at 8.30. Make sure you remember, ok?”

“8.30? Oh, okay… But, why are you calling me using Amber’s phone?”

“Wae? It’s the same, right? Anyway, remember to come at 8.30 tomorrow, ok?”

Chunji put his phone back to his desk. Woah. My heart skips a beat with the thought of Amber calling. But, wait. What if she’s the one who called then? Nothing is wrong, right? Then, why do I keep acting like a foolish person like this? Aish. I hope this whole trip will eventually help me in configuring things out. Yeah.

***

Amber is watching silently from her bed while knitting the sweater that she has been working out since last year. After explaining about the trip to Chunji, Ren give the phone back to Amber.

 “Fuhhh. I can breathe in peace now. Thanks Amber.”

“Whatever. What did he say?”

“Nothing. I’m the one who does the talk. It always has been like that, right?”

“Yeah? Well… I don’t know.”

“You’re sighing. Again. This is not good.”

“Nobody ever said it was good on the first place.”

Amber put down her sweater and walks up to her desk.

“Anyway, why did you knit? I mean to whom do you want to give that thing? You have been working out on it for like years.”

“I start on early last year, Minki. Please stop exaggerating.”

“I was just trying to light up the mood…”

“Well, don’t. Because there is no use for you to create one. You’ll just end up getting into another mess.”

“… Hey Amber. You’re okay?”

“Hmm? What?”

“You’re so… I don’t know. Say, emotionless?”

“I am?”

“Yeah. You should smile. Even I have to agreed that your grin is going to kill some pigeons on our household but it’s okay. I like it better when you smile.”

“It’s not like I can choose to be emotionless.”

“Don’t tell me you’re having that one time in a month, huh?”

“I’m not period, Minki. Damn it. Why are you always creating the reason for my head to explode?”

“Don’t blame me if you’re the one who are being an emo kid. I’m just asking out of curiosity. I mean, you didn’t act like this because of Chunji, right?”

 

Silent.

 

“You are?”

“Hey. Keep it low! My mom could have heard you.”

“Oh my Huang ZiTao! What happen to you, Amber? Where is the Amber that I know??”

“What’s up with this Tao from EXO all of sudden, dude? Stop the awkwardness already.”

“I was thinking about Oh my Gucci but then I remember that EXO’s Tao loves Gucci so I use it, but anyway, what’s up with you Amber? Why are you being like this? I thought the only one who is affected by this whole thing that happen was Chunji.”

“It’s not like it bothers me that much but I can’t help myself from not thinking about it. I don’t even understand why, Minki. It’s like Amber is a girl is a sin for him. I mean, come on! That guy is obviously running from me!”

“He does?”

“Not that literally runs, run. He is avoiding me. He would do aaaaaaanything just so he would not meet my eyes. I mean, what did I have done that he makes me like that? Okay. I lie. But I already apologize. And he DID say to me that he’s going to forget everything. Well, bulls**t that. He makes me feel like a fool. Yes, Minki. I feel like a fool. He does everything that he likes and leaves me hanging. What kind of friend would make a friend likes that?”

“I’m sure he doesn’t mean it Amber.”

“He better be. For his information, I certainly hate things like this. I’m not that kind of people who are concern on things like this but now I am. And, he is the reason to this. The heck. I seriously don’t want to talk about this.”

“Cool down, Amber. It’s okay… I’m here for you.”

“Oh I don’t know, Minki. I hope the vacation would settle everything fast. I really want to befriend with Chunji again. Just like we used to be.”

“I’m sure he was hoping the same Amber. It’s okay. You know that you could count on me on things like this, right? I’ll be by your side. But, I have to say Amber. What an act you put up. I’ve never thought you would think this way if you didn’t tell me about it.”

“I’m the Mighty Amber, remember? I won’t let this small matters bother my life.

“Yeah. If you let it, then you’re not Amber anymore.”

“Don’t start Minki.”

“Oh What now, Amber? I’m being nice enough as you can see??”

“You’re going to call me Eunyoung again, right?”

“Wait. How do you know that? “

“Did she read minds now?” Ren mumbled.

“I’m not idiot. You’re the one who are thinking too loud that I heard everything.”

“I did? I seriously did? Does this mean everybody have been listening to my thoughts? Omo. That’s not good. I can’t even count how much I curse someone’s in silent.”

“Serve you well.”

“Crap. I should end my life now. Just kill me, Mighty Amber.”

“Go away, you gross kid.”

***

“Everything’s ready, right?”

Ren’s mom asks to the three of them. Amber was smiling delightfully, Ren was walking back and forth, and Jiyeon was placing her lollipop bag at the passenger’s seat.

“Yes, Imo. We’re ready for the best vacation ever!”

“We still need to wait for Chunji, Amber.”

“I know that, Minki. You should learn not to kill someone’s joy.”

“What?? I’m saying the truth. Now, where is him??”

***

Mrs Daniels shook her head in despair. She cannot believe Chunji still running around searching for things even though they’re already late.

“Chunji, you better hurry if you don’t want to miss them.”

“I’m doing all I can to be on time, mom. It just… I can’t find my ring.”

“Ring?”

“Yeah. The one that I always wore. You’ve seen it?”

“I think I put it in your closet last night. It’s a been a while since you wear that ring, so I thought you’re not going to wear it anymore. Why all of a sudden?”

“I… Don’t know. I just think I might need it for today.”

“Okay then. Go grab it and let’s hurry up. We don’t have much time left.”

“Okay mom.”

***

Chunji rush from her mom’s car toward Ren’s house. Mrs Daniels leaves him after she finish the proper introduction with Mrs Choi (Ren’s mom).

“Oh, finally you’re here Chunji.”

“Yup. I was having this sudden checking for my checklist this morning.”

“Well, thanks to someone.”

“What Amber? You have some grudge left over me?”

“Funny, Minki. Funny.”

“You should laugh then. HAHAHAHA. See? That’s how normal people react to jokes. They laugh.”

“Yours is too pathetic to even smile. Why do I have to force myself to laugh for you?”

“Ergh. Amber!”

“Shut up both of you! In the car. Now!”

“Well, I guess there’s nothing else, huh? I think you can start the engine now, Imo. ”

“Wait! Oho. We don’t want to miss the most important thing, huh Amber?”

And the five of them turn to the owner of the voice in shock. Of all the time, why must now?