Revealing the Truth

He's a girl

 

 

“BECAUSE APPARENTLY SHE’S A GIRL!”

 

Silent.

 

“WHAT HAVE YOU DONE, CHOI MINKI?”

“What did you say?”

“Oh. This is not good. See ya later, Amber. Let’s run, Jiyeon!”

“Oh! Where are we going, oppa? Bye everybody!”

Amber tries her best to avoid Chunji’s confius stare.

“I didn’t misheard that one, right?”

“No, you’re not. I’m sorry, Chunji.”

“So, he was right? You’re a… Wait.  I can’t even bear to say it.”

“Why? Is it so weird that I’m a girl?”

“No. I didn’t mean that. No wonder your hand was so delicate. But, why didn’t you tell me? All this while, I thought you’re a guy!”

“I know that.”

“You do?”

“Yeah.”

“But how? I don’t think I ever talk about this.”

“I heard it when you’re explaining to the customer in my café shop that day. That’s the problem, Chunji. You never ask or say anything regarding it. How could I just come with ‘Hey, you know? I’m a girl. Weird, huh?’. There’s no way I’m going to say that out of nowhere, right?

“But, you should have told me. It would be a lot better if you did.”

“Well, I’m sorry…”

“It’s okay… I’m the one who misunderstood you. You’re the one who should mad at me. I should have known that you’re a girl.”

“I was trying my best to hide it from you.”

“Why would you do that?”

“Well, I don’t want you to be uncomfortable with me at first. But then things got into something else.”

“Something-like-what?”

“Erm… I had fun while doing so. Because you look so innocent and nice and naive and innocent when you believe me.”

“You just said innocent twice.”

“I did?”

“Yeah.”

“Anyway, it’s my fault. I shouldn’t lie to you about my gender. It was something beyond human’s logic. Besides, you don’t have to blame yourself just because you misunderstood me. I mean, everybody would make that same mistake. Take the England’s guy for example. Even he misunderstood me. Everyone who doesn’t know me well will assume me as a guy.”

“I don’t know what to say, Amber… I think I need time to process all of this. I’m still shock. And, even when you said this is not my fault, I still need to apologize. I’m sorry.”

“I understand, Chunji. Now if you excuse me, I have to go rip someone’s throat.”

Chunji’s eyes follow Amber as she walk away with anger. After Amber is no longer on his sight, he also walk away to the different direction to his class. He keep sighing all the way to his class while keep thinking about what has happen. He shook his head a few times thinking about what he thinks he had. The feeling. The pounding. What is this then? Why my heart was beating so fast for a girl? Ah. It will change. Yes. I’m sure this will change now that I have known the truth. This is great. I don’t have any plan to give my heart to anyone in the moment too. Yes. Everything would be just fine. But… Why do I feel bad then?

***

“Yobuseyo?”

“I told you not to answer it, Jiyeon!” Amber heard a voice over the line was scolding Jiyeon.

“Give the phone to Minki, Jiyeon.”

“He doesn’t want to talk to you, unni. Oh. I can call you unni now that everything is over, right?”

“You better put in on the line or I’ll turn to a vampire, trace him with my mighty sixth sense and every ounce of blood in his body!”

“Keep dreaming, Amber!”

“I can hear that, moron!”

“That was my intention!”

“Err… Am I allowed to say something…?”

“Jiyeon, you’re a nice girl. You would help me, right? Where is him?”

“Hmmm… You know where we are, unni.”

“Jiyeon!”

“AHA! Thanks for the info, Jiyeon. I know you will be useful one day.”

***

At their school’s garden, there are a couple who keep slapping each other’s hand.

“Auch! Oppa!”

“I told you not to tell her! Hey! That’s my face!”

“You would regret this soon, oppa!”

“Ah! AH! I told you that’s my face!”

“Can we just stop?!”

“Ok. I’m tired too.”

Jiyeon pout heavily and turn her body to the other side. But, Ren hold her shoulder before she could do that. He turns her back, facing him and gives her a sweet smile.

“Hey… Jiyeon-ah… I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

“Oppa just slap my hand.” She huffed.

“Okay, okay… Put that frown away for now. My mind can’t think straight with these entire things that happen as you can see… I seriously didn’t mean to hurt you. But hey! We always do this before, right?”

“That was like thousand years ago. I was 10 at that time, oppa. And, you are not my boyfriend yet at that time.”

“What are you? A grandma now?”

“Oppa!”

Jiyeon crossed her arm, giving Ren a death glare.

“Oh… Don’t be like this… I’m sorry okay? Forgive me, hmm?”

Ren keep begging at Jiyeon while rubbing both of his hand over and over.

“Oh okay! I’ll forgive you.”

 “Thank you, Jiyeon! Thank you sooooo much!”

Ren quickly peck the latter’s cheek.

“Thank you for forgiving me, Jiyeon-ah… THANK YOU SO MUCH. I love you!”

That is when he feels someone suddenly grab his chin. Ren was so shocked of the situation, he can’t move even for an inch.

“I’m not though.”

Ren who was ready to hug Jiyeon finally come back to his reality as he realise the one who was standing in front of him was Amber.

“ARGHHHHH!!!! WHAT IS THIS?! SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!! WARGHHHHH IS THAT EVIL GRIN EVER ALLOWED IN HUMAN’S WORLD???! HUUUUUUU”

“Your sob sound so pathetic. Just like the owner.”

“GAHHHH!!!! WHY WON’T YOU HELP ME, JIYEON???!!!!”

“Need to go now. Bye, oppa!”

“JIYEONNNNNN!!!!!! DON’T LEAVE ME HERE ALONE WITH THIS NASTY OLD WITCH!!!!”

“Tch.”

Amber released her hand from Ren’s chin and sigh.

“You know what? I really hate you, Choi Minki. I was going to snap you out of reality by smacking your head zillions of time but I hate you so much that I think it’s better if I let you go this time.”

Amber was trying to walk away when Ren run in front of her and block her with his hand.

“Just smack my head, every part of my body for zillion. Ani! Make it bazillions, gazillions instead. If by doing that going to make you forgive me, then do it. I’m ready for your punishment, Amber. Just in return… Do you think you could pursue yourself not hating me?”

Amber let out a deep sigh.

“Listen. First, there is nothing such as bazillion or gazillion. It was made up by stupid people like you. Second, if I need to forgive you, I think I would slaughter you to death, shed all of your skin, roast your flesh and drink all the blood that left. And, I still don’t think that would be enouh.”

“Just burn me to death instead! But please don’t hate me…”

Ren put his secret strategy in every argument that he ever had. A puppy face.

“I will shall not falling for your puppy face, Ren.”

“Oh please… Please. Please please please please please pleaseeeeee.”

“Erghhhh. Okay! But, this is not for your puppy face and sweet’s words. I think you’re sincere enough this time. So, I decide to accept apology.”

“Thank you!! THANK YOU, AMBER!”

“Hey, not so loud! You are interrupting others, you see?”

“Oh? Miyan miyan (I’m sorry)… So, we’re good?”

“Yeah. We’re good.”

Ren was dancing and jumping around for half of minute until he realise Amber keep rubbing her hand to her forehead.

 “Hey…”

“What, Minki? I don’t think I have any strength to join you, jump in together.”

“You’re okay?”

Ren quickly take a sit beside Amber.

“I don’t think I am.”

“Because of what happens?”

“I feel bad, Ren. I shouldn’t have lied to him.”

“Oh Amber… It was not your fault… Cool down. The Amber that I know won’t be bother about others this much. You’re the Mighty Amber, remember?”

Ren gave a cheerful yet warm smile to Amber. Amber smile back weakly.

“Thanks, Minki. You’re sure a great help despite of what have you done.”

“Hey, you have nobody else besides me, right?”

“Don’t make me hate you again, Minki.”

“Oh?! What have I done now? I’m so sorry. Please don’t take things that I said seriously.”

“Tch. I won’t. I have never take you for serious, Minki. We should head to our class now.”

“Oh, okay! Let’s go my dear Eunyong.”

Ren grab Amber’s hand and tries to walk hand in hand with her. He stops when he realise Amber did not move.

“I TOLD YOU NOT TO CALL ME WITH THAT NAME.”

“OH, SAFE ME PEOPPPLLLLEEEEE!!!!”

***

Chunji’s POV

“Oh look! It’s beautiful, right? I wish I could have that in my wardrobe. And that too! Over there! Wahhhhh!! This is heavennnnn”

“Are we… Erm… Like done yet?”

“Wae? You don’t like this?”

Jiyeon look at me with her big shining eyes. I shook my head in an instant. No. I would never say no to shopping. It is like someone’s escape from problem that they had. And, I have been always dragged by girls to accompany them back in England. The thing is I don’t feel like doing it for a time being. I feel so tired, my mind feels so confused, and I do not know what to think anymore right now. I just want to lie down in my bed and be free for once. I just want to ease my mind even for just a minute.

“Did you just spacing out?”

“Hmm?”

“Oh! You’re spacing out don’t you? That’s so cute. Chunji knows how to space out too?”

“Yah yah! Go home. Thanks for taking him here for me.”

“Don’t mention it, oppa! Khalke (I’m going)”

Ah… So this is what it is all about. I was bait with shopping so that I would meet with Ren here. Crap. I don’t think this would be good.

“So…”

“Make it fast.”

I reply before he could even say something. I could see that he was taken aback with my cold tone. I just want to go home. That’s all. Like I have said before, I’m too tired to do anything. I just want to lay my head on something and get a nice sleep.

“Hey. I don’t want to meet you too.”

Why bother calling me over then? No wonder Jiyeon keep pulling my hand to go with her after the school’s over just then. I should not have fall for her cuteness.

“Go on, Ren. I’m listening.”

“I’m not doing this for me. I just can’t stand that stone face Amber had on her.”

Stone face? What is that?

“HEY. I’m talking to you here.”

Ren keep waving his hand on my face.

“Ah. I’m sorry. What was that again? Stone face. Oops. Amber, right?”

“Ergh. I’m sorry.”

What? Why sorry all of a sudden? Am I missing something here?

“Sorry for what? What have you done to me?”

“Have you lost your mind, Chunji?”

Yeah. I think so.

“I just can’t catch up with you. Can you repeat it again?”

“I say, I’m sorry. For everything. I’ve lied to you too, so I’m sorry.”

Ah… Okay. This start to makes it’s sense.

“But, it’s not our fault Chunji. You’re the one who was too immersed in your own make-believes. We didn’t make up that one. We’re just following what have you believed.”

“I know. It’s my fault. I know that well.”

“So, you don’t have any grudge feeling over Amber, right? I’m glad you say so. Do you know how sad Amber was when you know the truth?! She was having this constipated face all the time!”

“Constipated?”

“Yeah. I don’t even know how to explain that expression. It was so… Weird. Amber was never like that. I think I will kill myself if I have to see that face for another minute. It was too gross.”

“Listen here, Ren. I didn’t mad at you guys. I’ve never did. I just need my time. Alone. You’re still my friend. The fact that Amber is a girl is not going to change our friendship. I still like both of you as my friends.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes, Ren. I’m serious. Just give me some time. I need to settle some stuff.”

“Stuff? Like what?”

“Well… Something. My mind has been so weird these days that I think I need some vacation.”

“Why don’t we head out to somewhere then?”

“Huh? No, Ren. I seriously think I would not say yes to that.”

“Ah… You still want to have time all for yourself, huh? It’s okay. I’ll be kind for you. But, if you ever change your mind, just tell me! I’ll plan something exclusive for four of us.”

“Okay, Ren. I think I have to go now. Bye.”

“Sure. See you later, dude!”

***

Chunji’s POV

I can’t sleep.

I try to hear some nice lullaby from my iPod, count all the sheep on the screen, turn my body to each side of the bed but nothing comes out well. I just can’t close my eyes. This is too much. It is not like I have never had sleep disorder before. Well, I am one of the teenagers in this world that had a history of Insomnia. But, I have recovered from that and this time it is totally different. I can’t even relate why I am acting like this. Those words from Amber keep bouncing in my head.  

Is it so weird that I’m a girl?

I’m a girl.

She’s a girl. She’s a girl for god sake, Chunji. Why did you let your mind flying around in the middle of night for one completely normal girl?

My mind stops on that.

Normal? No. She’s not normal. She’s far from a definition of normal. And, that is why I fall for the lie. She’s not normal. And, I shouldn’t be like this. I should not let a girl disturb my sleep cycle. But, who am I to make fool of myself? She’s not just a girl. She’s Amber Liu. Amber Liu that makes my heart beats so fast. Amber Liu that makes my eyes stays on one spot. Amber Liu that I believe the most beautiful, perfect and flawless guy I have ever witness. That Amber Liu… Is a girl.

Arghhh!

Why is it so difficult for you, Chunji? You should face the truth. She’s a girl and this entire thing will change immediately soon. You will not be in daze for her anymore. Yes! That will be the answer to all this mess.

I was going to close my eyes when Ren’s voice coming to me.

It’s not our fault Chunji. You’re the one who was too immersed in your own make-lies.

Ergh. I know that. I’m the fool here.

Do you know how sad Amber was when you know the truth?!

She was having this constipated face all the time!

Okay mind. You can erase that constipated part I think.

Weird. Amber was never like that. I think I will kill myself if I have to see that face for another minute.

Okay, okay… I will go meet her tomorrow if that’s what you want, mind. Besides, I can’t let Ren die. He’s one of the important characters in this story. Now, can we just get back to sleep? I am seriously tired with all these thoughts you’re giving to me.

End of POV

***

Chunji fasten his pace to the most travelled road he has been since he arrived to Seoul. Yeah. Accept from to school and groceries store, this is the only road that he keeps going. He stops right in front of the house while looking at the second’s floor window. That would be Amber’s room if I not mistaken. I should change everything right to where it belongs. Yeah. Hwaiting, Chunji.

“Ting Tong”

Amber walk slowly toward the door. She really does not want to move from her bed but nobody is in the house so the only person who has to get the door would be her.

“Who’s there?”

Amber tries to peek through the hole on her door but she can’t get any picture of her guest since he keep lowering his head down. Ergh. Who is this now?

“Yeah?”

Amber widens her eyes as she gets a better look on the one in front of her now.

“Oh. Chunji!”

 Hello, Amber.”

“What is it? Oh. Silly me. Come inside.”

“It’s okay Amber… This won’t take long.”

It won’t hurt if you come for a cup of coffee. Amber thought to herself.

“Anyway… I just… I come here to say that I’m truly sorry that I overreact yesterday. I also hope that what have happen won’t change our friendship. I hope there’s no bad feeling between us too. That’s all for now.”

Amber quickly grabs Chunji’s hand as he was going to leave.

“Ah. Wait. I can’t catch anything that you have said.”

“What?”

“You talk too fast man. What are you? Ryan Higa?”

“What?. Who is him? One of your acquaintance? Anyway, I was saying that-“

“I hear everything, Chunji. I was trying to crack a joke. Your smiles. I think I miss them.”

Amber let out a small chuckle that earn a nervous smile from Chunji. Chunji blink his eyes a few time while watching Amber smile delightedly toward him. This can’t be. Why did she act like a girl now? This is so weird. Why am I still like this?

From afar, a figure was intensely watching at the two. He keeps looking toward the direction while scrunching his face. What is he doing in here? Who is he to him?