Chapter 4

Between Sunrise and Sunset

Chapter 4
Jin Ri tried hard not to giggle as Kyuhyun gazed at her while she fixed the collar of his shirt. They had just finished eating breakfast, pancakes with both strawberry and chocolate syrups with vanilla ice cream as per his request, and were now getting ready to start their day—or rather, Kyuhyun was getting ready to go to the SME office for rehearsals for the newly announced project group called SM The Ballad. The group had been around for a while, but it was just recently that the company decided to push through with it. Ever since he got back from Japan, he had been rehearsing with the members, consisting of Jay from Trax, Jonghyun from SHINee, and Jino, who used to be a trainee, nonstop.

“I like it when you take care of me like this,” Kyuhyun finally spoke while his wife fixed his hair this time.

“Well if I’m not going to do it, then who will? Coz I’m sure you won’t even take care of yourself,” Jin Ri remarked, lightly touching his cheek. “You should get going. Your manager’s going to give you an earful again if you’re late.”

“I wasn’t late the last time,” he reminded her proudly, holding her hand as they walked towards the front door.

“And what about all the other times before that?” she innocently asked, chuckling. Even after being married for six months, they still hadn’t left the honeymoon stage. They still couldn’t get enough of each other, always wanted to be beside each other, to be near each other. Both of them didn’t mind at all. They actually wished they could stay in that stage longer. She glanced at her watch. “You should really go, Kyu.”

“Kiss me for luck?” he cutely requested, an adorable KidKyu smile on his face. SM The Ballad was having their debut stage later that afternoon.

“What do you need luck for? You’re going to rehearsals. Besides, I’ll be there later,” she scoffed. But then he pouted in that cute way that she couldn’t resist. “Just for luck,” she emphasized, putting her pointing finger up. “And not anything more than that.”

When he nodded like a good boy, she lifted her face up to kiss him. He chastely pressed his lips against hers, a hand gently resting on her neck, cupping her face. She smiled when she pulled away, feeling pleased that he was behaving. Just as she was to open the door, he suddenly grabbed her and placed another kiss on her lips, a less chaste one.

She stood there, stunned, when he finally pulled away. Her hair was slightly disheveled, as was her shirt. Hearing him chuckle, she shot him a look and he immediately stopped laughing.

Kyuhyun,” she irately called out.

“Sorry, princess, I couldn’t help myself,” he confessed as he kissed her on the forehead. “I’m just making lots of memories for us for when I go back to Japan.” Although he was back in Korea for good, he still had to continue on with his Japan promotions. This meant that he had to travel back and forth. Jin Ri had just accepted the assistant head photographer job that Seung Hun had offered her, making her unable to fly out with him as much as she wanted to.

“You’re not leaving for another week and it’s not like you’ll be gone for a long time,” she pointed out. “Is it really worth being late over this?”

“Every. Single. Time,” he suggestively professed, winking at her. When she blushed, he smiled proudly.

“Fine,” she responded, feeling a bit shy. “You should go now.” She checked her watch once more. “You’re already late.”

“I love you,” he said, wishing he could stay with her longer or that she was coming with him. He really didn’t like going out without her by her side. It may seem selfish or childish, but he just felt safer for the both of them when they were together.

“I love you, too, Kyu,” she told him with a soft giggle.

Once he had finally left, Jin Ri smiled and shook her head as she fixed her hair into a neat ponytail. She was on her way to the bedroom when she passed by the mantle and saw the package that was sent to her about two weeks ago. She lifted it up and saw that it came from Ara, Kyuhyun’s older sister. Without thinking, she unwrapped it, revealing a box of expensive-looking hot chocolate. She immediately opened the box and went straight to the kitchen to make herself a mug.

As she sat down, enjoying her mug of hot chocolate, the phone rang. She stood up after taking a big sip of the delicious drink and answered the phone. “Hello! Cho residence!”

“May I please speak to Jin Ri?” a male voice from the other line requested.

“This is she,” she answered, tripping over her own feet and leaning against the wall.

“Hey! This is Keiji!” Keiji happily greeted.

“Keiji!” she greeted back, straightening up. “What’s up?”

“I was thinking that I could take you up on your offer for coffee,” he went on.

“Oh but Kyuhyun’s not around,” she regretfully said. “He’ll be done with a schedule later this evening. Maybe we could grab a quick dinner then?”

“I’m actually outside your door,” he relayed.

Her gaze shot to the front door, feeling surprised. “You are?” She couldn’t remember when she ever told him where they lived on Korea. She shrugged, thinking that it must have slipped her mind or that maybe Kyuhyun had told him.

“Yeah,” he confirmed.

She left the kitchen, walked down the hallway and opened the door. True enough, Keiji was standing there with a smile on his face. He put the phone down from his ear and pocketed it.

“I hope you don’t mind that I came without notice,” Keiji said, looking uncertain.

“I’m a bit surprised, but it’s not like we’re strangers to each other,” Jin Ri stated with a chuckle. “Come on in.” She opened the door wider so he could step inside.

~ * ~

Kyuhyun, Jonghyun, Jay and Jino came out of the waiting room at the KBS building, laughing at some snarky comment that Kyuhyun had made. They had just finished dressing up for their first performance and were currently on their way to the stage to rehearse and do a sound check. Kyuhyun brought his phone out to check if there were any new messages. He frowned when he saw that there were none and started dialing a number, pressing his phone to his ear afterwards.

“Hyung, you should really stop stalking your wife,” Jonghyun teased, making Jino chuckle.

Kyuhyun ignored them and waited for Jin Ri to answer her phone. He’d been trying to reach her since lunchtime, but he hadn’t been able to. She’d always answered his calls on the first three rings. If she wasn’t able to, she always called him back within an hour of his call.

“You did say she was going to be out with Taeyeon and the others,” Jay soothed him when he saw that he looked a bit worried. “They probably lost track of time.”

“Or maybe she’s at work,” Jonghyun offered.

“Or she’s probably on her way here,” Jino added.

“She would tell me if she was,” Kyuhyun muttered, but shrugged and pocketed his phone. “I guess you’re right.”

As they turned to the hallway leading to the stage, they caught sight of Heechul, Zhoumi and Ryeowook with Jessica. The group greeted them happily, exchanging hugs and giving them good luck cheers.

“Isn’t Jin Ri with you?” Kyuhyun finally asked, looking at Jessica.

Jessica looked surprised. “We were supposed to meet even without Taeyeon because she had a sudden schedule, but Ri wasn’t answering her phone so I just assumed she was busy,” she offered. “Besides, I thought she’d be here.”

“She isn’t,” Kyuhyun stated, feeling even more worried. Taking his phone out once more, he decided to call her again. He didn’t know why, but there was a nagging feeling in him, telling him that something was wrong. He practically rejoiced when his call was finally answered. “Princess!” he called, breathing a sigh of relief. “Why haven’t you been answering your phone? I’ve been so worried and—Keiji?” He looked confused.

They had started walking towards the backstage when Kyuhyun stopped walking so suddenly that Jino, who was walking directly behind him, bumped rather roughly on his back. Jonghyun caught him. Kyuhyun, whose eyes had widened, reached for Heechul’s wrist.

“What happened?” Kyuhyun demanded from Keiji.

“What’s wrong, Kyu?” Zhoumi asked. He felt his heart race at seeing all color drain away from Kyuhyun’s face as the person on the other side of the line seemingly answered his question.

“I’ll… I’ll be there as soon as I can,” Kyuhyun finally said through the phone after just listening. “Just… thank you, Keiji!” Kyuhyun ended the call, just standing there in somewhat of a daze.

“Kyuhyun, what’s the matter?” Heechul sharply asked. The magnae was still tightly gripping his wrist. “Who’s Keiji?”

“Hyung,” Kyuhyun said, finally meeting Heechul’s eyes and glancing at Zhoumi and Ryeowook as well. “Jin Ri’s in the hospital.”

“What?” they all chorused. Jessica lifted a hand to cover her open mouth.

“What happened?” Ryeowook wanted to know.

“She… she’s…” Kyuhyun stammered incoherently. He couldn’t think straight. When Keiji put hospital and his wife together in the same sentence, he felt his heart constrict. She was unconscious. He wanted nothing more than to be there with her, but he had to stay. “Hyung, can you go there and check up on her? I can’t…” He helplessly gestured around. He had to perform in a couple of minutes. “Just make sure she’s okay.”

Heechul wrapped his dongsaeng in a hug and patted his back comfortingly. “We’ll leave now and make sure things are okay,” he told him. “Good luck on your debut.” Pulling away, he looked at him square in the eye. “Jin Ri would want you to do well.”

Kyuhyun blankly nodded. Heechul and Jay exchanged a look, after which Jay put an arm around Kyuhyun and led him backstage, followed by Jonghyun and Jino.

“Keiji,” Jessica muttered to herself as she swiftly followed the Super Junior members out of the building.

~ * ~

“Patient’s name?” the nurse asked without looking up at the guests after they had started to inquire.

“Cho Jin Ri,” Heechul impatiently stated. Jessica touched his arm to calm him down. She had filled them in on how she had met Keiji and how Kyuhyun and Jin Ri knew him. She had also mentioned some things that got the three boys, especially Heechul, on edge.

The nurse looked up and immediately gasped in surprise when she saw the idols standing in front of her. She immediately looked through the files and told them Jin Ri’s room number. Without another word, they left for her room.

Jessica walked in the room first and what she saw she didn’t like. Keiji was hovering over Jin Ri’s sleeping form. He was caressing her hair and cheek while muttering some words to her. Jessica tightly gripped the doorknob when he leaned even closer to her friend’s face, not knowing what to do. Luckily, Heechul had walked in right after her and interrupted whatever it was that Keiji planned to do.

“Who are you?” Heechul demanded. Zhoumi and Ryeowook stepped into the room after him, closing the door behind them. All three boys had seen a glimpse of him hovering over their magnae’s wife.

Keiji straightened up and offered to shake Heechul’s hand. “Iwate Keiji,” he introduced himself. “I’m Jin Ri’s and Kyuhyun’s friend.”

“They’ve never mentioned you before,” Zhoumi commented, crossing his arms across his chest. He could sense something threatening in the man before them even if he was smiling in a friendly way, merely confirming what Jessica had told them earlier.

Keiji merely shrugged. “I don’t think that’s an indication of not being friends,” he evenly stated. Ryeowook, who was usually very friendly and welcoming to newcomers, narrowed his eyes at him. He didn’t like how he responded. He thought it was impolite. Keiji ignored their reactions and turned to Jessica, smiling at her. “It’s nice to see you again, Jessica-ssi.”

Jessica forced a smile and bowed politely. “What are you doing here, Keiji-ssi? And what happened to Riri?” She turned to her friend and reached out to touch her leg.

“I’m not exactly sure. I came over to their apartment, hoping to chat,” Keiji began to explain, earning even more disapproving looks from the boys. “We were just talking when she suddenly clutched her stomach in pain and before I could do something to help her, she just started convulsing and then she lost consciousness.”

“What did the doctors say?” Ryeowook pressed, glancing at his sister-in-law worriedly.

Keiji shook his head. “They haven’t gotten back to me about that.”

Right at that moment, the door opened and the doctor walked in. He looked a bit surprised at seeing very familiar faces when he zoomed in on Keiji. “Sir, we already have the findings. If you would kindly step out, I would like to discuss it with you,” the doctor said.

Before Keiji could move, Heechul stepped forward. “We’re the patient’s brothers-in-law,” he declared, gesturing to him, Zhoumi and Ryeowook. “I would rather you discuss the findings with us.”

“But I thought that Mr. Cho…” the doctor began, glancing at Keiji.

“He’s not her husband!” Jessica corrected rather strongly. She shot Keiji an icy look that trumped most that anyone had seen her give. “They’re not related.”

Kyuhyun, Jin Ri’s husband, is arriving in a while,” Zhoumi added, angrily looking at Keiji.

“Very well,” the doctor calmly stated, gesturing to the three boys to step out.

Heechul gave Jessica a pointed look. As the boys stepped out, Jessica stayed in the room with Keiji.

~ * ~

Images were flashing in her head; opening the gift from Ara, talking on the phone, welcoming Keiji into their home… and then nothing. She couldn’t remember anything after that. As she tried to remember, she slowly opened her eyes, blurry pictures of people standing beside the bed she was lying down at filling her head. There were familiar voices that accompanied the figures, one that stood out more than the others. They sounded like they were arguing about something.

“Listen to me,” one of the voices said. “I wouldn’t say this if things weren’t suspicious.”

“And I’m telling you I don’t understand why you would ever be suspicious,” another voice retorted, obviously shutting out whatever the other was suggesting.

“Actually,” another voice jumped in, a calmer and seemingly more rational tone, “he’s not the only one who thinks that way.”

“Not you, too,” the exasperated voice commented.

“All we’re saying is take note of it,” a quieter voice pleaded. “It wouldn’t hurt. Besides, Jessica wouldn’t say anything if she’s sure there’s nothing to be worried about.”

“Yeah, well, maybe Jessica should just mind her own business.”

Kyuhyun,” the sharper voice scolded heavily.

There was a short pause then the calmer voice sounded again. “Just… get some rest, okay? We know you’re stressed and upset about this whole thing. We’ll come back in the morning with the others.”

There was a sigh. After which everyone seemed to have calmed down and the tones of their voices had considerably gotten lower and friendlier. Her vision became much clearer, the figures becoming more visible. She opened to say something, but all that came out was a moan. The four boys who had been seemingly arguing earlier immediately turned towards the bed.

“Kyuhyun,” she weakly rasped, turning her head to the side, tiredly lifting her gaze up to him.

Kyuhyun immediately shuffled to her side, bending over and brushing her hair away from her face. “Princess,” he whispered, giving her a kiss on the forehead, feeling so relieved that she was finally awake.

Jin Ri had been unconscious from the time she was first brought to the hospital. After the doctors’ findings of her being poisoned, her stomach was immediately pumped out of all the unwelcome substances. Now that she was out of danger, the doctors wanted to keep her overnight just to be sure that everything’s okay and that she’s well rested. Seeing her so pale and almost lifeless really scared him.

“Is everything… alright?” she asked, glancing at Heechul, Zhoumi and Ryeowook, who were all as relieved as their magnae.

“Everything’s fine, princess,” Kyuhyun assured her. “Don’t try to talk. Just rest.” He reached for her hand and squeezed it reassuringly.

Smiling, Jin Ri squeezed his hand back and nodded, resting her cheek on the pillow.

The next time she woke up, there were arms around her and there was a snoring sound in her ear. Shifting her position, she saw her husband sleeping soundly beside her. She smiled and snuggled closer to him, her face inches away from his. As she did so, he tightened his hold on her, pressing his forehead against hers.

“What are you doing here, Kyu?” she whispered, gently waking him up.

“I’m sleeping with my wife,” he responded, opening his eyes. He brushed her hair away from her face and gave her a quick kiss. “I didn’t want you to wake up without me.”

“That sounds conceited,” she giggled quietly. “But thank you.” She leaned closer to him and gave him a proper kiss, one that made him draw her closer.

They just held each other after the kiss, both just relishing the comfort of being beside each other. Kyuhyun was very much thankful at the fact that his wife was fine, that she wasn’t hurt that badly, despite being poisoned. Jin Ri was just happy that he was with her. She strongly believed that, as long as he was around, she was going to be fine.

“I’m sorry,” she said after a moment, pulling away slightly so she could look at him in the eyes. Even if he hadn’t said anything, she knew he was worried.

“Just don’t do it again,” he prompted, smiling a little and kissing her nose. He sighed. “I really was worried, princess. Please don’t ever scare me like that anymore.”

“I’ll do my best,” she promised. “What happened anyway? I don’t remember taking in anything out of the ordinary.”

“You opened mail without me,” he pointed out. “I thought we talked about opening mail together.” After he had talked to the doctor and discussed whatever possible food and beverages she may have taken in that was out of the ordinary, he immediately rushed home with Zhoumi to check.

“Mail?” she repeated, confused. “I don’t—you mean, the hot chocolate?” He nodded. “But your sister sent that.”

“Princess, Ara noona is out touring Europe. She’s in Italy at the moment,” he reminded her. “She’s not the type to stop and send us one box of hot chocolate. And why would she even think of sending us hot chocolate? There are so much more interesting stuff to send than that.”

“But she knows I love hot chocolate,” she pointed out, frowning.

“So does everyone else,” he implied, raising his eyebrows, emphasizing his point.

She just looked at him for a moment, letting what he said sink in. “Are you saying someone purposefully did this?” She knew how fans were so absorbed and involved in their idols lives as she remembered all the scratches she incurred and the hurtful words that they had told her. But actually seriously hurting someone to the point of possible death? She couldn’t understand how and why people could be so horrible and so unreasonably selfish.

“I’m sorry, princess,” he apologized, hugging her, his chin on top of her head. “This is the reality that we’re in. I’m sorry that you have to go through these things because your husband is an idol.” Sometimes, he really seriously thought of abandoning such life. There were moments when he looked at Jin Ri and thought of how life would be if he was just a normal guy. He got the feeling that he would be able to love her better if he wasn’t constantly in the spotlight.

She slapped his arm, pushing him away. “Don’t you start blaming yourself for this. It’s not your fault. And don’t you ever apologize for being an idol,” she scolded. “It’s a part of who you are. I’m not, nor will I ever be, sorry that I married an idol because that’s a part of you. I love all of you, remember?”

He snickered. “I think CheesyKyu is rubbing off on you.”

“It’s not funny,” she insisted, pouting. “I really don’t like it when you compartmentalize yourself life that.”

“I’m kidding,” he quickly amended, trying to make her smile. “I’m sorry.” But she ignored his efforts and just kept on pouting. “Princess, if you keep on pursing your lips like that I just might not control myself. I really don’t care if we’re in a hospital or not, at least not after your cheesy speech.” He wiggled his eyebrows at her. “I now understand what you mean about cheesy lines turning you on.”

“I’m a patient!” she exclaimed, feeling shocked and blushing at his line of thought. “I’ve just been poisoned! You can’t be seriously thinking about such things right now!”

“You’re all better now, aren’t you?” he shot back, smirking. The hand of his that was resting on her back slowly lifted her shirt and skin there. “Besides, there are ways…”

She blinked, stunned at how forward he was, despite her current situation. “ert,” she jeered.

“Only with you, princess,” he responded, chuckling and withdrawing his hand from under her shirt. “Only with you.”

~ * ~

It was late evening when Yesung, Leeteuk and Heechul hauled the mountains of fan letters out of Kyuhyun and Jin Ri’s apartment building. Despite the warnings that they had given their magnae, he hadn’t done anything about the letters and the result was Jin Ri getting hurt. The three (present) oldest hyungs of the group decided to step in. They wouldn’t have any more of such incidents happening in the future. As they stepped out into the cool air, Chung Jae Sun, Jin Ri’s youngest male cousin, was waiting in his car. He got out, opened the trunk and helped them put the letters in. When the bags of letters were safely inside, Jae Sun closed the trunk and turned to three other males.

“I’ll make sure to let you guys know if we find anything,” Jae Sun assured them.

“Really appreciate this,” Leeteuk told him, holding out his hand to shake his.

“No problem,” Jae Sun responded, shaking his hand and giving him warm smile. “We’re family.”

As soon as they had found out about what happened, they visited Jin Ri in the hospital to make sure she was okay. When they were sure that she was, they checked up on Kyuhyun, who was positively blaming himself for the whole thing. They had anticipated all kinds of threats, even as a child, but none of them had gotten hurt. With Jin Ri’s relationship and, eventually, marriage to Kyuhyun, they knew there was more risk, but they never actually thought any of the haters would get around to getting close enough to hurt her in such a way. It scared him and he was going to do his best to make sure that nothing like that ever happens again.

As Jae Sun drove away, followed by the leaving of the three Super Junior members in their own vehicle, someone stepped out from the shadows, hands formed in a fist.