Chapter 1

Between Sunrise and Sunset

Chapter 1
(This story starts nine months after Slow Motion. It’s now September.)

“Last chance to back out, princess.”

“What?”

“I’m giving you the option.”

A snort. “Are you sure you want to give me that option?”

“So what if I am?”

A pause.

“Ya! Are you actually considering it?”

“You were the one who gave me the option. So yes, I am thinking about it.”

“You are not!”

“Am too!”

“Not!”

“Too!”

A smug laugh. “You love me so you really are not thinking about it. You practically wanted to rush to a church right after I proposed.”

“In your dreams.”

“Admit it, princess, you know how badly you want to marry me.”

“Not as much as how you’re dying to get married to me!”

“So we’re agreed then.”

“Just shut up and kiss me. That’s why you’re here, right?”

Silence.

Suddenly, the door of the room that they were occupying burst open with a bang. The couple separated, looking startled and guilty as they laid eyes on the newcomer.

You two!” Angie*, Leeteuk’s wife, screeched as she stormed into the room. Kyuhyun visibly flinched and cowered behind Jin Ri, who rolled her eyes at the cowardice of her fiancé. “Do you know how long we’ve been looking for the two of you? Everyone’s running around like mad!”

“Sorry, unnie,” Jin Ri pacified her. “We were just—.”

“You two are getting married in a minute,” Angie interrupted, her eyes flashing, this time making Jin Ri step back in fear. They were a bit afraid of Angie these days. Said lady was expecting her first child and had grown a bit of a temper because of it. “Jin, why do you let Kyuhyun drag you down into his childishness?”

“Hey,” Kyuhyun protested, but immediately closed his mouth shut when Angie glared at him.

“You’re not supposed to see each other until you walk down the aisle,” Angie reminded them. She shot an accusing look at Kyuhyun just as Sun Young, the maid of honor, walked in, looking very much relieved at seeing the couple there.

Before Sun Young could even get a word out, Kyuhyun put his hands up in surrender. “I’m leaving, I’m leaving,” he assured them. “I think Angie noona’s right about to burst at me if I don’t,” he muttered so that only Sun Young could hear.

“Well you’d better watch out for Jungsoo oppa then,” Sun Young sweetly told him. “The last time I saw him, he was cursing you for making his pregnant wife worry.”

~ * ~

“Where have you been?” Zhoumi hissed as Kyuhyun stepped onto the altar, fixing his dark coat.

“Jin Ri,” was Kyuhyun’s one word answer.

The taller male gasped. “You know that’s bad luck! You’re not supposed to—.”

“Yes, yes, I know,” Kyuhyun interrupted him, looking amused at his outburst. “I’m here now, aren’t I?”

“I’m starting to regret wanting to be your best man,” Zhoumi jeered, looking pointedly at the magnae. He could remember all of the members fighting over the spot of the best man since everyone believed they were equally close to Kyuhyun. But, for some reason, Kyuhyun chose him. “Everyone’s annoyed that I don’t seem to handle the duties assigned to a best man well, like, you know, watching over you.”

“It’s almost over, Mi,” Kyuhyun comforted him, patting his shoulder. “We’ll be married and then your best man duties will be done.”

Zhoumi could only roll his eyes because the wedding march began to echo across the hallowed hall. Beside him, Kyuhyun stood up straighter, suddenly sunny at the sight of the future Mrs. Cho walking down the aisle.

She looked absolutely stunning in a white, Grecian style dress with empire waistline. Her hair was pulled back to a loose but y ponytail. She wore sparkling earrings and a gorgeous necklace. But her loveliest accessory was the big smile on her face. She was positively beaming and glowing.

Once she reached the altar and they stood side by side, Kyuhyun lightly nudged her with his elbow. Sun Young and Zhoumi, who both had their eyes on the couple, simultaneously made a face.

“Princess,” Kyuhyun whispered, giving her a sideways glance.

“Kyuhyun,” Jin Ri responded, whispering back.

“You look beautiful,” he said, grinning at her.

“So do you,” she replied, grinning back.

“Ready to be mine forever?” he asked happily.

“Can’t wait,” she answered with a big smile.

It was a simple and intimate ceremony, reflective of the couple getting married. The guests counted to only 50 people, consisting of very close family and friends. Kyuhyun and Jin Ri wanted to share the start of their life together with the people who had been there for them an had witnessed them grow. Another reason, much lesser in value, was to keep the press and the fans from getting wind of the event. When the fans had found out that Kyuhyun and Jin Ri had gotten back together, there were a lot of demonstrations online and offline back in Korea. In Japan, fans seemed to be calmer about the whole thing, which was why everyone back home felt relieved that the couple wasn’t there to witness and experience all the chaos. At present, it still hadn’t died down, which was why the wedding was planned with great care with the help of everyone invited. It wasn’t easy flying artists out of the country and to China, but, somehow, they managed to do it without arousing too much suspicion.

Arriving at the reception hall, Kyuhyun led Jin Ri to their table and sat her down. As everyone started to settle down to their assigned tables, Chung Mong Koo, Jin Ri’s uncle and Hyundai’s chairman, took the microphone to make the first speech of the night. Kyuhyun reached for Jin Ri’s hand and squeezed it.

“Good evening to all the guests,” he began. “Thank you all for being here and thank you for helping give my daughter and my now son-in-law the best possible wedding they could have.” He paused. “I had tried to imagine what it would be like giving this speech for when my daughters get married. It’s different from what I imagined… it’s much harder than I thought. You know, I’m sure everyone here does, that I have made some appalling decisions and had some unreasonable demands in the course of Riri and Kyuhyun’s relationship. Those are things that I would forever regret doing.” He looked at Kyuhyun, who did a small bow to him from his seat. “Kyuhyun, Riri, seeing the two of you now, seeing you both so happy… I feel deeply apologetic at having a hand at putting a stop to your love story at a point in time. I now know that you are in good hands,” he continued, meeting Jin Ri’s gaze. “I know that you are very happy and that you two will love each other for all eternity.” He then smiled and turned to Kyuhyun once more. “Kyuhyun, welcome to the family. It’s your turn to take care of Riri now. You two will experience new things together. It won’t always be a bed of roses. Trust that there will be challenges and that things will get harder. You only just need to love each other and it will be enough. Congratulations.”

Jin Ri stood up to hug her uncle, tears trickling down her cheeks. Although they had forgiven each other for the hurt inflicted on both sides, it seemed so much more meaningful in front of other people, in front of the people who had been involved as well.

“Appa,” she whispered as she clung to him. “Thank you.”

“Riri,” Mong Koo responded in the same fervor. “Your parents would have been so happy and so proud of you.” He kissed her head. “I love you.”

“I love you, too, appa,” she immediately replied.

Mong Koo pulled away and turned to Kyuhyun, who had stood up and followed Jin Ri. They shook hands. “Son,” he greeted him with a smile.

“Abeonim,” Kyuhyun replied, bowing at the same time.

Kyuhyun led Jin Ri back to their table, holding her hand tight the entire time. He knew how much her uncle’s speech meant to her. He handed her a tissue paper as they sat down.

“I hate crying. I’m supposed to be all beautiful since it’s our wedding and all,” she slightly grumbled, making him chuckle.

“You’re still beautiful, princess,” he told her, kissing her cheek. “Always beautiful.”

The dinner courses started being served. It was then that Jessica and Yesung sang the duet they had specially prepared for the event. Jin Ri, being a big fan of their voices, swayed to their song.

“How are you feeling?” Kyuhyun asked his wife. He himself couldn’t really describe what he was feeling. It was like his heart was going to burst out of his chest with the love he had for the woman beside him and how happy he was that finally—finally—she was his forever.

“Hmm, I’m okay,” she answered, shrugging nonchalantly. “Nothing special. You?” He made a face at her, which made her laugh. She leaned towards him and gave him a quick kiss on the lips. “I’m so happy, Kyu. You make me so happy.”

“That’s more like it,” he snickered, this time the one leaning forward to have her a kiss.

“Ya!” Yesung’s voice startled them, forgoing one of his parts in the song. “We’re performing for you. Stop macking at each other.” Jessica burst out in laughter, along with the rest of the guests.

“You’ll have plenty of time for that tonight!” came from someone that sounded like Jae Sun, Jin Ri’s youngest male cousin, making the couple blush.

There were a couple more speeches, Sun Young’s and Zhoumi’s, and performances, an A capella version of Marry U, as well as a solo by Luna. After which it was time for the bride and groom’s dance.

As the first few notes of the song, to be sung by SNSD, played, Kyuhyun frowned a bit as he tried to discern what song was playing. From what he remembered, this wasn’t the song they had picked to dance to.

I want to dream forever with you**

Following the happy breeze, beneath that bright sky that blinds me
Beautiful melodies and fresh air fills this road that I'm walking with you
Do you remember? Those awkward and unfamiliar times when we first met
I'm thankful to you for silently taking care of me when I was hesitant and young


“What song is this?” Kyuhyun asked, starting to get into the melody and liking it. “The lyrics are good.”

“Glad you think so,” Jin Ri said with a smile. “I wrote it.”

My exhausted heart beats once again
My weak heart has found light again
I want to hold your hand and walk like this forever
Together with the person I love in a world just for the two of us


It took him a while to absorb what she said since he was listening to the song. “You wrote a song for SNSD?” he then blurted out, eyes wide. She had always declined writing songs for them, thinking that she wasn’t good enough.

“No, silly,” she replied, chuckling and shaking her head. “I wrote a song for you.”

Those unforgettable memories during that long time
Throughout the laughter and the tears, the one who always believed in me was you

My exhausted heart beats once again
My weak heart has found light again
I want to hold your hand and walk like this forever
Together with the person I love in a world just for the two of us


“I can’t believe you wrote another song for me,” he said, looking adoringly at her. The message of the song was clear to him. It touched his heart to no end. He couldn’t help but feel how he could have been so lucky to have her in his life.

“Every word is true,” she promised with a smile. “I do want to be always like this. Eternity, right?”

“Eternity,” he avowed.

No one will bother us
There's not even a reason to waste any time
(Sometimes) We could be far from each other
(With the same heart) The same heart as one, dreaming the same dream

Even if a very long time passes (A long time passes)
Even if you and I become a bit different (A bit different)
I want to dream forever with you like this
The one who fulfilled my wishes, the one who became my faith, with you


“Are you crying?” she asked incredulously, looking amused. She reached out to wipe away a tear that had slid down his cheek.

“I love you, princess,” was his only response.

They stopped moving as he moved to kiss her, cupping her face with one hand, the other tight around her waist.

Even if a very long time passes (A long time passes)
Even if you and I become a bit different (A bit different)
I want to dream forever with you like this
The one who became my miracle, the one who dreamed with me, with you

Even a long time passes, I want to dream forever with you


Everyone watched as the couple sealed their love with another rather passionate lip lock. No one even bothered to call them out on it anymore, as they knew just how much the two had to go through to get where they were. Kyuhyun’s parents smiled at the newly wed couple. Il Sung, who had his arm around Sun Young, squeezed her shoulder in affection. Leeteuk leaned towards Angie and gave his wife a kiss on the cheek. Kangin, who had been discharged from the army recently, even reached for Taeyeon’s hand, although they were very expressive of their relationship in public.

“Aish! We’re surrounded by cheesy couples!” Hangeng, who was the main reason why the wedding was held in China, complained in his broken Korean.

“I know! This is why I don’t like weddings,” Henry, who had flown all the way from Canada, whined in Korean that wasn’t any better than his hyung’s.

~ * ~

“Princess?” Kyuhyun called, coming out of the bedroom with his hair wet and a towel in hand as he heard the front door open and close.

“Hey,” Jin Ri greeted him, removing her coat and hanging it on the coat rack.

For their first night as a married couple, they decided to stay at the beautiful bed and breakfast recommended by Hangeng.

“Where did you go?” he asked, moving towards her. “I take a shower and when I come out you’re not here.”

She giggled. “Sorry, I craved for some ice cream and went out to get some.” She lifted the plastic containing the tub of ice cream that she bought.

“Hmph,” he whined, putting his arms around her and squeezing her a bit before leading her to sit on the couch in front of the television. “You could have asked me, you know. I would have bought it for you. Or you could have waited for me to finish and we could have bought it together.”

“It was just down at the gift shop,” she told him, giggling at his reaction. “I practically didn’t leave.”

When he didn’t say anything, she placed the ice cream on the table and snuggled towards him. “I love how my husband is so good at taking care of me,” she casually stated.

“What did you say?” he asked, turning to her, trying not to smile.

“I said I like how you’re so good at taking care of me,” she stated innocently.

“No, the other thing,” he prompted.

She smiled knowingly, leaning at him, her face lifted to his. “My husband,” she repeated like a good girl.

He lit up like a Christmas tree. He reached out and brushed some strands of her hair away from her face. “My wife,” he proudly declared. “Mrs. Cho Jin Ri. I like the sound of that, don’t you?”

“I doooo,” she agreed in a singsong voice. “I’m Mrs. Cho.” She giggled.

“Mmhmm,” he mumbled and closed the gap between their faces.

All thoughts of ice cream and craving for it flew from Jin Ri’s mind. Kyuhyun’s kiss seemed more passionate than any other kiss he had given her or it could be that, now that she was his wife, everything just seemed new again. But every breath that caressed her face, every movement of his lips against hers, the touch of his hand on her face, his hand on her hip… it made her feel lightheaded and breathless. She felt like she didn’t want to stop.

“So… what do we do next?” he huskily and suggestively asked, pulling away for a bit, a smirk on his face. “I think this calls for another graduation, the best one.”

Jin Ri giggled.

---
*eternalsnow’s character from Reset
**Forever by SNSD
Translations: boxclub & [email protected]/forums