SIDE STORY

My Valentine

Sungmin look at his best friend, since middle school. He looked rather happy, so happy, as if he has won the lottery.

"Hey, have you won the lottery? Come on tell me. Promise I won't tell our classmates, but you have to buy me a pink sweater first," Sungmin told his best friend. Donghee let a heartily laugh, before answering his best friend. "No, silly. I haven't even tried lottery. So how come I can win with that?" he told him. "Then why are you laughing?" he pouts, using his aegyo to hypnotize his friend. "Yah, don't dare." Donghee glare at him. "Araso, araso," Sungmin rolled his eyes. "But, tell me why are you oddly happy today, when you just fell flat on the ground awhile ago?" Sungmin asked. He was so curious that it nearly killed him. "My sister's here," Donghee finally reveal the source of his happiness. "And she'll be staying with us from now on!" Donghee shouted in the corridors, he was so happy that he can't contain it anymore. Sungmin clapped his hands sharing the happiness. "Ah, Chincha? That was good," he said, even though he haven't got a single chance to meet the girl. "I have to go now," Donghee told Sungmin. "Have dinner with us this Saturday, same time, Mom wants you to come," Donghee waved goodbye, and so did Sungmin. 'Having dinner with Donghee hyung's family again, and finally meeting his sister... Wonder if she looks like Donghee hyung? Or she's fatter?' Sungmin waved the thoughts off his mind. 'Don't care what she looks like, as long as she's nice, just like Donghee hyung,' he smiled.

***

'Oh that's oppa! Oh, how I miss oppa,' she run towards him, and hug him. "Chan Mi-ah you look thin. What are you eating there?" Donghee ask his little sister. "I have been eating properly, you know," she puff her cheeks. "You're so cute," Donghee pinch her cheeks. "I missed you so much," Donghee hug her tight. So tight that her bones might break. "Yah, oppa if you hug me like that, you might miss me forever, because I'll be having my trip to heaven," she told him. "Oh, sorry," Donghee let go.

***

On Saturdays, Chan Mi would normal walk with Kyuhyun to the ice cream shop or to the library. But she's in Seoul, and there's no Kyuhyun with her. So, she ended up, reading a book in the park, it was a warm day, and a good time to relax.

After hours of reading in the park, Chan Mi finally closed the book and stood up, she wanted to visit the Ice cream parlor that her brother is taking about, after borrowing a book in the library. Well, she come to know the place because that's where her brother is always taking her, when she visits at Seoul.

She stood up quickly, and that's also how quick she ended up falling too. It was because someone bumped into her. "Mian," the ajeosshi apologized to her, helping her to stood up. "Anni, it's because of my clumsiness, I'm the one who should say sorry. Mianhamnida Ajeosshi," she bowed courteously. After that Chan Mi was about to proceed to the library, when she bumped another person on the park, this time it was a guy about her brother's age. "Mian, it was my fault. I'm very sorry," Chan Mi bowed apologetically. "Ah, that was nothing," the guy replied. Actually the guy was about to say more, but then he stopped, when he saw Chan Mi's face. He was completely stunned. 'She's an angel,' the man thought continuously. "Uhm... Ahjeosshi. Mian again, and I'll be going now. Anneyong," Chan Mi told the man and within a minute she disappeared from the man's sight. 'Wait, I haven't even got the chance to get her name.'

Sungmin was now walking towards his hyung's house, while in deep thoughts. "Yah, where are you going?" A voice asked from behind. "I'm going to your house Donghee hyung," Sungmin replied. "Oh, is that so? My house is in the other way, you know?" the voice told him again. 'Oh, I thought I heard Donghee hyung's voice,' he almost laugh, and wave the thoughts aside. "Hey, why do you keep on walking that way,?" the voice asked. 'Oh, I'm hearing it again,' Sungmin was so creep-ed out that he keep walking on a fast pace. "Hey, watch out, there's a bicycle!" The voice warned. Sungmin's forehead form a crease in total annoyance. He looked behind, only to see his hyung with a worrying face as if warning him, and when he looked back at where he's walking towards to. A bicycle hit him. It produced a very loud thud. 'What happened?' Sungmin fell flat on the ground without a single clue on what had happened between him and the  bicycle. "Are you okay?" Donghee came to rescue, and helped Sungmin stand up. "Oh, Hyung you're here," Sungmin suddenly said. "Watch out where you're going next time," the ajeosshi told Sungmin in a low and caring voice. "Mianhamnida, ahjeosshi," Sungmin and Donghee bowed ninety degrees to the old man, as he go on his way. "Why don't you avoid the bicycle, when I already warned you about it?" Donghee asked him. "I didn't even know you really exist... I mean. That you're really there, I thought I'm hallucinating," Sungmin shyly confessed. "Oh, is that so? It's because you're deeply engrossed in thinking, tell me, what is it?" Donghee being the best friend read Sungmin  pretty good. "Oh.. It's just about... Uhm... Ah... It's about a girl that I bumped into the park." Sungmin whispered. Luckily Donghee was able to hear it. "Oh, a girl," he said as if they've been talking about it for along time. "Oh, a girl!" Donghee shouted, he's just so shocked that his best friend (whom he thought was 'GAY') is now talking about girls instead of pink. Sungmin nod shyly. "Wow," Donghee can't say of another word that describe how he feels right now. It was just so shocking on his part.

That day, Sungmin and Chan Mi didn't have the chance to meet each other, since Chan Mi stayed late at the Ice cream parlor after borrowing a book from the library.

***

Chan Mi was silently reading a book in the park when a man about his brother's age approach him. "Hi," he smiled using his aegyo. "Hi," Chan Mi smiled at the man. "Can I sit beside you?" he asked. "Sure," Chan Mi scoot to gave the man a space to sit on. "Thank you," He smiled. "My name is Lee Sungmin," he handed out his hand. "Shin Chan Mi," she shock his hand in a friendly manner. "You like books?" Sungmin asked her, looking at her book. "Well... Yes. I like them, really," she looked at her book. Well that time she was reading the 'The Pink Fairy Book' that Kyuhyun gave her, when he dropped by to visit her. "So what are you reading there?" Sungmin asked her. "The Pink Fairy Book," she told him. "Oh, really? I like pink," Sungmin smile. 'It must be fate,' Sungmin thought happily. From then on Chan Mi and Sungmin became friends. They would always meet at the park every Saturday, and spend their Saturdays together. They felt really comfortable with each other.

***

Sungmin rolled on his bed, scratching his head. He didn't really know how to tell Chan Mi that he loves her, not as a friend, nor as a best friend, but as someone very special to his heart. "How, how, how," he rolled again. Getting frustrated. Just then he heard something fell, when he looked at it, he saw Chan Mi's book, that he borrowed. Well, he was going to return it to Chan Mi, since, he already finished reading it. "Wait the book!" Sungmin yelled in delight. "Finally, thank you God, you're really helpful," He jumped hugging the book, with joy. But eventually stopped when his mom told him to stop jumping or else he'll be sleeping outside because of the ruckus that he's doing right now.

***

"Thank you," Sungmin gave her the book., that he borrowed last time. "It's nothing," she smiled. "The story was good, but it has a sad ending," Sungmin pouts. "Of course it has, the book that you're reading is 'Romeo and Juliet' it should have a sad ending," she chuckled. "Hope mine is not," Sungmin smiled at her. She also smiled at her friend. "Why, do you like someone?" she asked. "Well, yeah, but I don't know if she likes me back," Sungmin looked at her. 'Why do I get the feeling that I know the girl?' Chan Mi thought. And the way Sungmin looked at her makes the heat in her cheeks rise up. "Why is there something on my face?" Chan Mi asked. "Actually there is," Sungmin smiled, as he remove the dirt on Chan Mi's right cheek willingly. "I... I can take care of it," Chan Mi told Sungmin as she too, remove the dirt on her cheeks. She's partly nervous and her hands are cold. "Chan Mi-ah your hands are cold," Sungmin took hold of her hand. "I... I should be going now, my cousin's going to fetch me today," she told him, as she slowly get her hand and stood up. "Chan Mi-ah," Sungmin called. "What is it Sungmin oppa?" but she didn't turn to look back. "page 14, is really good, you should try to re-read that page when you go home," Sungmin told her. "Araso," she replied. "Text me after reading that, araso?" he said. "Okay," and with that Chan mi leave, she didn't lie about Kyuhyun, but her plans that day was to let Kyuhyun meet Sungmin. Because Kyuhyun was really eager to know Sungmin, because she already told him that the guy was her crush. 'But then it didn't happen. So, sorry Kyuhyun-ah' Chan Mi sadly thought.

That night Chan Mi didn't have a thing to do. So, she decided to take Sungmin's advice only to find a love letter in the said page. Chan Mi was shocked. First, she didn't knew that Sungmin liked her on the same day the he saw her, gosh, she didn't even knew that Sungmin was the guy that she bump into the park, before. Second, even thought she likes the guy, she wanted to know if he's really serious about her. Third, he didn't even met a family member of her family, nor she knew a family member of his, even though their friendship would  be running for a year now.

***

Sungmin smiled at Chan Mi, when he saw her walking towards him. She sat beside him, and the both of them keep silent. "You didn't called me," Sungmin told her, avoiding her direction. "I forgot," she lied. also avoiding Sungmin's direction. "Is that so?" Sungmin smiled at her. "I... I didn't know if you're really serious with me," she confessed. "Of course I am," Sungmin look at her in the eyes. "I... I mean have dinner with my family today, I wanted you to meet my parents, then I'll be sending you home, and I'll be also meeting you parents, is that alright?" Sungmin told her his plans. She nodded. "I know you won't make it easy for me, but I love you. So, I'll endure anything, just to get you sweet 'yes.' That's how much I love you," Sungmin told her, holding her hands. "Until I finished college," Chan Mi suddenly said.  "That's a promise," Sungmin smiled.

That night Chan Mi met Sungmin's parent and his younger brother. Sungmin's family were nice, and good people. She liked them and they like her, the feeling is mutual. After eating dinner and taking with the Lee's. Sungmin drive Chan Mi home. Only to be greeted with shock when they stopped at his best friend's house. "Y-You live here?" Sungmin asked her. "Yes," she simply told him, as she rang the doorbell. After seconds of standing outside, someone finally opened the door. "Oh, Chan Mi-ah you're home," The man smiled. But his smile faded when he saw the Sungmin. "Oppa, this is--" Chan Mi was about to introduce Sungmin to her brother, when Sungmin spoke. "Hi, Donghee hyung," Sungmin smiled. "Oh, Sungmin-ah, why are you here, it's late you know?" Donghee asked. "You know each other?" Chan Mi was dumbfounded. "You didn't told me that you were Hyung's sister," Sungmin looked at her. "What do you mean?" Chan Mi asked. "Sungmin-ah, Chan Mi-ah, come," Donghee motioned them to go inside the house.

Sungmin sat nervously at the couch beside Chan Mi.

"You mean? The girl that you were talking about all this time is my sister?" Donghee asked, surprised. "I also didn't knew. Since, I didn't have that chance to meet your sister hyung," Sungmin told him, also in surprise. "You two knew each other?" Chan Mi asked them, for the second time. Well, she's more surprised. "You, why didn't you told me you have a suitor?" Donghee asked her. "Eh? No! I mean he became my suitor this last Saturday," Chan Mi also confessed. "Yes, hyung I'm taking her seriously. I'm willing to wait," It was Sungmin determinedly convincing Chan Mi's brother. "I know," Donghee nodded. "But,. Chan Mi, did Kyuhyun-ah already know about this?" Donghee looked at his sister. Chan Mi didn't say anything. "Hyung, who's Kyuhyun? Do you mean Chan mi have another suitor?" Sungmin asked his hyung. "We, don't have anything against you Sungmin-ah, in fact our parents would agree about you relationship easily, and I too would, because we knew you would love her. But, your greatest challenge is not with me or with my parents. It's with our cousin Cho Kyuhyun-ah," Donghee told him. "Cho Kyuhyun?" Sungmin repeated. "Deh, he's our cousin who grew up with Chan Mi-ah, and because of that he developed a Cousin Complex, he really thought of Chan mi-ah as a real sister. He's even willing to risk his life for her," Donghee said, while reminiscing the times he have with Kyuhyun and Chan Mi. They were in fact so close, that you would think that they're real brother and sister. They're best friends.

"Oh, Sungmin-ah, what brings you here?" it was Mrs. Shin approaching Sungmin. "Isn't it late to visit? Have you already eat your dinner?" Mr. Shin asked. They're really fond of Sungmin, because he's kind and courteous. "Good evening Aunt, Uncle," Sungmin stand up to bow ninety degree to the couple. "Mom, dad, Sungmin's here to ask permission," Donghee told his parents. Mr. and Mrs. Shin gently sat on the couch. "About what my dear?" Mrs. Shin ask gently. "I would like to have your permission; to be your Chan Mi-ah's suitor," Sungmin bravely told the couple. "It's fine with  me," Mr. Shin replied. Sungmin's face enlightened. "I would like to agree, but it's our Chan Mi-ah's choice," Mrs. Shin looked at Chan mi tenderly. "I... I agreed mom," Chan Mi confessed, feeling the heat on her cheeks rise up. "That was great!" Mr.Shin rejoice with Sungmin. "Then, Sungmin-ah, welcome to the family," Mrs. Shin told Sungmin. "Ah, thank you very much aunt, uncle," Sungmin smiled at the couple. "Omma, why would you say welcome to the family?" Chan Mi whispered to her mother. "He's close to be, so, that doesn't matter," She mom whispered back. "But, I really think you should ask for my sister's permission too, they've been Chan Mi-ah's parents for about fifteen years of Chan Mi-ah's life," Mrs. Shin told Sungmin. "Then I will do it," He smiled gleefully.

***

Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin from head to toe. "This man, is your boyfriend?" Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow. Chan Mi smiled at Kyuhyun. "No, not yet. He's my suitor. What do you think?" She told him. "Hi, nice meeting you, Kyuhyun-sshi," Sungmin smiled at Kyuhyun, avoiding not to stutter, and obviously hiding his tension. Kyuhyun slightly bowed at him. Since, Sungmin was older that him. 'He's scary, much scarier that Dong-Dong hyung,' Sungmin thought. "I'll tell you now frankly. If you ever hurt my noona, whether physically, or emotionally, I'll definitely get back on you," Kyuhyun looked at him directly in the eyes. "Kyuhyun-ah," Chan Mi tried to seize Kyuhyun and she didn't failed, when Kyuhyun fondly looked at her, with a smile. "Chan Mi noona, I really like to have a drink," Kyuhyun childishly told  her. "Then I'll get you some, okay," She smiled and proceed to the kitchen.

Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin once more. "How old are you?" Kyuhyun started the interrogation. "A few months behind Donghee hyung," Sungmin answered calmly. "What did your family to for a living?" Kyuhyun throw another question. "Our family owns a company," once again Sungmin answered. "How many girlfriends have you had before?" Kyuhyun asked. "About two," Sungmin answered. "Really?" Kyuhyun asked coolly. "Deh," Sungmin nodded. "Does you family know about Chan Mi noona?" He asked. "Deh, I introduce her to them," Sungmin sternly looked at Kyuhyun. "How much do you love my noona?" Kyuhyun seriously asked him, looking at Sungmin's eyes. "With all of I am," Sungmin looked at Kyuhyun satisfied at his own answer. "Okay, fine, but always remember what I told you first." Kyuhyun looked at his noona, she brought a tray that contains tea and cake for the three of them. "I'm not yet done with you," Kyuhyun whispered, before getting out of his seat to help his noona with the tray. "Don't worry, I wont hurt her. Never," Sungmin said, loud enough for Kyuhyun and Chan Mi to hear.

***

It was really hard work, before Suungmin got Kyuhyun on his side, and he's more grateful for it. Kyuhyun is really hard to please. In fact, Kyuhyun was acting like Chan Mi's father. He would chaperon her. And even though Chan Mi was two months older that Kyuhyun, Kyuhyun act more maturely and more responsibly than Chan Mi, and he's always there to help Chan Mi. He does look, and act like Chan Mi's older brother.

It was a normal night, when he prove to Kyuhyun how much he love Chan Mi.

That day Kyuhyun and Chan Mi stayed late to the university, they're researching about a project. While researching, Chan Mi got a phone call from Sungmin, he's asking where are they, and how is she. Chan Mi reassured Sungmin that she's fine and she's with Kyuhyun in the library. They go home late that night, and then it happened.

"Yah, are you confident with this report? Noona," Kyuhyun smiled at Chan Mi. "Deh," she gently answered. Just then Kyuhyun and Chan Mi heard some rustles, and they felt someone's behind them. Kyuhyun was about to turn around when the unexpected came. A fist came to Kyuhyun's right cheek and he fell down. Chan Mi dreadfully looked at her dongsaeng, who' now limply lying on the floor. "Yah, you bastard!" Chan Mi shrieked and punch the idiot in the face, he fell down but he brought company, the guy's not alone, it's about three to five other guys are with him. "Yah, this lady is feisty," said the other one, looking at Chan Mi from head to toe. "Hmm, she cute," another one commented. "Shut up and go home to you mamas! you drunkards!" Chan Mi shouted on the top of her lungs. She's nervous indeed, it's the first time that she encountered a situation like that. "I like that," said the shorter one. Chan Mi couldn't see the face clearly. Since, it's really dark in the alley. Chan Mi fought with the guys, but eventually loss, because she's not felling really well, every time she looks at other direction her head hurts. She was caught with her hand, one guy holding her right arm, and another on the left. "You know little miss, you're really beautiful, but also feisty, you see this mark on my handsome face? My handsome face is now swollen because of you!" the guy told her, she seemed to be the gang leader. "Yah, let go of my noona," Kyuhyun tapped the man's back. "What do you think?!" the man answered Kyuhyun with his fist, and he hits him several times at his solar plexus. "Yah, stop it! Right now!" Chan Mi yelled. "What's your problem? Really? Why are you doing this to us?" Chan Mi asked them. "We're bad guys and we need your money," even though it's dark, Chan Mi was sure that the guys did smirk. "If you want money, you should have just ask us, and not hurt us," Chan Mi told them. "Yes, we only don't want money, but we want you too." the man pointed her. "Spend the night with us," the man whispered to her. "Bastard!" Chan Mi shouted. As she rolled her eyes  towards Kyuhyun's direction. 'This guy, he's always useless in real action.' Chan Mi thought. 'How should I deal with this now? God please help me, how?' she silently prayed.

"Yah, let go of my girl friend!" a guy shouted, as he punch the guy in the face. "Another savior, eh?" he wiped the blood in his lips and fought with the guy. It was five men against one, Luckily the guy knows real martial arts and beat the men to crumbs. "I'll let you go for now, but if you do this again, I don't know what will happen to you. Pray to God that I will go easy on you the next time," the guy scarily told the men. His threat was really good and scary, and you could see that he's not joking. "Sungmin-ah," Chan Mi hugged Sungmin. "Ahh, Chan Mi-ah, are you okay? Did they hurt you?" Sungmin worriedly ask Chan Mi. "Aniiyo. How about you are you okay?" Chan Mi cressed Sungmin's swollen cheeks. "And why did you say girlfriend?" Chan Mi smiled. "Well, I'm soon to be," Sungmmin smiled along with her. "Noona," Kyuhyun stood up limply, holding his solar pluxus that still hurts. "Kyuhyun-ah, kenchanayo?" Sungmin asked. "Noona," Kyuhyun said, pointing something at Chan Mi's back. When Chan Mi turned around, she saw it, that man was holding a knife. And he's going to stab her. Chan Mi was so shocked that her whole body froze. "Noona!" Kyuhyun shouted. But nothing happened to Chan mi, Sungmin blocked the knife and punch the guy in the face. "You bastard!" he punched him many times, until he slipped out of his consciousness. "Sungmin-ah, kenchanayo?" Chan Mi run towards him. As the man and his league depart from the place like a rascal. "I'm fine, maybe, a little hurt," he smiled. Kyuhyun and Chan mi also smiled. But it immediately turned into a frown when Sungmin collapsed. "Sungmin-ah!" Both Chan mi and Kyuhyun came on his side. "Kyuhyun-ah don't look at Sungmin-ah!" Chan Mi shouted. "Wae?" he asked, turning around. "Sungmin-ah was stabbed. I can't worry for two guys, if you collapse here, I don't know what to do anymore," Chan Mi told him, fighting her tears back.

"Okay, noona, calm down," Kyuhyun told her. "I know, okay. Call the ambulance," Chan Mi orderd. Trying her best not to panic. "Okay, but you think you can stop the bleeding? I heard Sungmin-sshi is anemic," Kyuhyun told Chan Mi, fishing his phone on his pocket. "Oh, shoot!" Chan Mi remembered. "I think you can. You're the best in our clas, when it comes to EmerPrep," Kyuhyun commented. "I know. So, just call the frigin' ambulance," Chan Mi told Kyuhyun, she's kinda loosing her temper. "Chill, okay," Kyuhyun raised his hands, and proceed on calling the ambulance, while Chan Mi is trying to stop the bleeding. "Thank God," Chan Mi sigh as she thank God, after she stoped the bleeding. "Noona, the ambulance is here," Kyuhyun announce, smiling at his noona in relief.

***

Kyuhyun sat on the stool beside Sungmin's bed. "Where's Chan Mi-ah?" Sungmin asked. "Outside buying drinks," Kyuhyun answered. "You... You," Kyuyuhyun want to say something, but he felt that something's blocking his throat, like a lump preventing his to speak. "Hmm," Sungmin smiled, willing to listen to what he wanted to say. Kyuhyun face form a blush, he really wanted to say it, but it's rather embarrassing after what he told Sungmin the first time they met. "You... You... You... take care of my noona, araso?" Kyuhyun told him quickly, so that it will be hard to catch up. Sungmin smiled. Of course he heard it clearly, after all their proctor in Physics talk like that, when he was in middle school. "Don't worry, I will," Sungmin told him.

*****

End of Side Story.