Chapter 1

It Might Just Be You.

"So...is it okay?"

"I don't know. I think my parents will say no."

"Do you want to go?"

"What I want is not important."


 

"Ms. Chin? It's about time you get up. I'll have the car ready in an hour, will that be alright?"

Chin Sung Bae jerked before nodding gently with her eyes still closed and with the blanket still over her head. She could feel the rays of the sun seeping through her room's curtains as she slowly opened her eyes. 

"Hmm. What time is it now?" She rubbed her eyes as Suyeon, her maidservant, placed a tray to her right. "Eight in the morning. Am I correct in believing that today's agenda is simply to drop off your mother's documents at the office?"

Chin took a small bite of the toasted bread on her plate before answering, "Yes, that's about it. Unless, of course, I feel like grabbing a cup of coffee. That wouldn't be a bother, would it?" Suyeon smiled as she replied, "Nothing is a bother with you, maam. You've always been easy to care for."

She picked up the blanket, folded it slowly and then placed it on the edge of the bed. She was already at the door when she suddenly stopped and turned around.

"Forgive me for asking, Ms. Chin, but did you have that dream again?"

___

"Suyeon, what type of music do you listen to?" Chin took a sip of her coffee as she crossed her legs. "I don't hear anything except classical music at home, and I'm really dying to know what people my age listen to nowadays."

"Well, there are a lot of contemporary groups nowadays, and they're really popular here. I personally like listening to DBSK and SHINee. They're the ones you see me watching on television, do you remember?"

Chin shook her head. "Aniyo, I can't remember. Mama always drowns out whatever I hear from outside with all her classical music. Sometimes, it's already so boring!"

Suyeon answered, "That's why I prefer not to hang around Madam-" 

"Wait, stop the car!" 

Chin shouted loudly, causing the car to abruptly stop. 

She turned to Suyeon and asked innocently, "In the supermarket...they sell magazines, right?" Suyeon chuckled as she replied, "Ne, they do. You are going to buy a magazine? I can go down for you." 

Chin waved her hand in front of her as she remarked, "I can do it , don't worry."

"Maam, if anything happens to you..." Suyeon showed a worried face, causing Chin to smile. "Hmm, don't worry, I'll be back in a bit!"

She quickly ran inside the supermarket and head towards the magazine rack. "What to buy...what to buy..." She flicked through every magazine until she found one that had SHINee written in front.

"SHINee? This is the group Suyeon was talking about," she thought to herself. She took the magazine off the rack and walked towards the cashier. Placing it on the counter, she asked, "Do you accept card?"

The cashier scratched his head and replied, "You will pay via card for such a cheap item? Okay then." He took her card, swiped it, and then handed her a small piece of paper.

"Please fill this out, Ms. It's a raffle coupon for this contest to win a tour with this group," the cashier mentioned, pointing to SHINee's photo on the magazine cover. Chin laughed and then answered, "Oh it's okay, I'm not interested."

The cashier pushed the piece of paper towards her and remarked, "I need to give out a raffle coupon for every person who buys this magazine. It's the rule." Chin thought for a moment and then replied, "Do you have a daughter? Maybe she'd like to have my coupon. I'm not interested in the group anyway." 

"She just spent two weeks worth of her allowance on that magazine...just so she could get raffle coupons! I don't really want her to feel like she can just get whatever she wants. Please, just fill it out. I don't think you'll win anyway! Thousands of girls are buying two or three magazines each just to get a chance to win. Your one ticket won't make a difference." He put the coupon in her right palm as he motioned for the person behind her to move forward. 

He handed Chin a pen, then she dutifully filled everything out. "Here," she said, handing him the coupon. "I really hope I don't win." The cashier smiled and answered, "I really doubt it, Maam. Well, have a good day!" He waved as Chin made her way out of the supermarket. 

___

Two weeks later

"Chin! Chin! Can you come down for a while? Someone is looking for you on the phone."

She gracefully ran down the stairs and then spoke into the receiver. "Hello?"

"Annyeong haseyo! Is this Chin Sung Bae?"

"Ne, this is I. Who is this please?"

"This is Yong Jae Gwa, the promotions manager of SHINee. You submitted a raffle coupon, right? For the contest?"

Chin shook her head. "Contest? What contest?"

"You don't remember? The contest wherein the chance to tour with SHINee was at stake. If I remember correctly, a cashier at your local supermarket told me you filled out the coupon two weeks ago. Am I right?"

"Oh, yeah, I remember that. Why, what's going on?"

"Well, I'm happy to inform you that you've won! Out of the hundreds of thousands of raffle coupons, yours got picked!"

"Oh my God," Chin thought to herself.

"Seriously? You're not even joking?

Yong Jae Gwa cleared his throat as he replied, "No, I'm not joking. When can I meet with you to discuss all the details? I will, of course, need the contact information of your parents, or whoever is your legal guardian. There will be a few formalities we have to discuss-" He cleared his throat again.

"Ms. Chin? Are you alright?"

"Ne, I'm okay. Can...can...can you call back in about half an hour? I just need to do something really quick. Mianhae!"

"Sure, it's no problem! I know it's a little overwhelming, and probably a gigantic shock for a fan like you, so I'll give you some time to absorb it all. I'll call back soon. Annyeong, Ms. Chin!"

She quickly put down the phone, not even bothering to say goodbye. She ran back up the stairs, breathing heavily as she got to her room. She walked over to her desk, picked up the magazine and started to read the first page. 

"Lee Jinki, Kim Jonghyun, Kim Kibum, Choi Minho and Lee Taemin." She slowly read their names over and over.

Hmm. Well, knowing their names is a start...