Bad Luck

I First Met Him in a Tree

 

At “Atelier’s Noodles,” I went past the dining areas, and into a small conference room. “Minki! You’re late, again.” Said Shin, my boss. Yep, my male name was “Minki,” which I came up with after thinking of “Jinki.” See what I did there. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to be late.” I took a seat next to Sumin, kind of a friend of mine that’s practically in love with me. Nobody knows I’m actually a girl.

“Be happy I didn’t fire you, though I considered doing so. Okay, now that we are all here, let’s get started. The sales for our butler café are plummeting; we need an advertisement to get people going here. Any ideas?” All the employees looked away from Shin’s pleading stare. “How about we dress up as maids as a funny gag for a week?” Someone said. I gulped; this would definitely give me away.

 “Yeah, I am sure Minki would look beautiful as a woman,” That Sumin added. She was the chef, and that’s the only reason she was here.

“That’s a great idea!” Shin agreed. Man, I was in some deep . Before I could argue about my boss’s decision, everyone perked up, liking the thought as well, they all discussed it cheerfully among themselves. “That settles it; we go as maids for seven days! But Sumin, and me stay as we are because we don’t serve dishes. I’ll order the uniforms. They should arrive tomorrow. Now, all of you get back to work!” Shin finalized.

I sighed, getting up and going back to the kitchen. The reason why I dress like a guy is merely a hobby. The money I earn is spent on video games and comics. My parent’s know I have a job, but I haven’t told them about this. If I was found out, then there goes my fad.“Is there anything wrong?” Taeyang asked me. He was another worker here. “Yeah, you look like a dog just died in front of your face,” Daesung alleged.

“I’m fine, I just got something on my mind,” I replied to them. “You’ve been frowning since the time Jiyoung mentioned the maid idea,” Seungri told me. Oh, so it was that er that came up with it. “Really, don’t bother worrying about me you guys,” And so, I went to Jiyoung to go spit in his face. Instead of spitting, I used a less disgusting method and stomped his foot.

“Ouch! Why’d you do that?” He said, rubbing his shoe like it really hurt.

Crap. I didn’t have an excuse.

“Minki, get here now! I need you to serve a customer!” Seunghyun yelled to me from all the way in the kitchen. I was saved.

I went to Seunghyun, listening to what he had to say to me. “Go to table 5.” My feet obeyed the order, twisting a couple times before my eyes lay upon a mushroom-haired boy with a Cat-eyed friend.

“What the hell are we doing at a butler café? This was built to provide desperate girl’s eye’s good-looking men that’d actually talk to them,” Said Key.

“Hyung~ a nice person recommended this place for me. She said the food tasted really good,” Said Taemin.

INGMOTHERERPIGEONSTABBINGCANTELOPEKILLINGASSPPUNCHINGTHISDAMNITADSDFFADFFDSAJGDGHHSKAHDFHFCRAP

I let another line of curse words explode in my head. Then I composed myself, going up to the two. “May I take you’re order ladies?” Did I purposely say that? Oh my; I just dug my own grave even deeper. I can be such a dumb sometimes.

“Hey, I am not a lady! I’m very, very manly,” Taemin said, pouting cutely.

“Man, can’t you tell the difference between a guy and a girl? Aren’t you a complete and utter moron?” Key snickered.

Can I knock him out just once? I restrained myself, asking again. “May I take you’re order gentlemen?” 

“Black bean noodles!” Taemin cheered. I scribbled it down. “Stir-fry noodles and a cup of tea,” Key said. I wrote that down too. “Is that all?” I inquired again. “Do you have any banana milk?” Taemin questioned me. “We have chocolate milk and a banana strawberry smoothie, but no banana milk.” He sulked, pounding his fists softly on the table. “But I want banana milk…Alright I’ll have a vanilla smoothie.” I put that on the entry. “I’ll come back shortly with the food.”

 

Taemin’s p.o.v

 

I still reaaaaallllllyyyyy want banana milk.

 

Like, alllloooooot.

 

“Hyung, buy me banana milk after this meal pleeeeaaaaasssssseeee?” I persisted.

 

He wavered answering me.

 

No, he cannot deny the request.

 

I shall not let him.

 

“Pleaaaase?” I asked again, this time with an endearing pout.

 

He must fall for the look.

 

He must.

 

“Taemin…” Key looked at me, considering the demand.

 

Almost there~

 

“Alright…” He said at last.

 

“Yaaaay!” I snuggled against his arm, smiling and closing my eyes optimistically.

 

Key patted my head, smiling also.

 

I was getting banana milk!

 

I really couldn’t stop beaming.

 

People were getting suspicious, so I let go of his arm.

 

But the grin remained on my face.

 

“Banana milk~ Banana milk~ Banana milk~” I sang, swaying musically back and forth.

 

Key sighed, going back to whatever he was doing on his phone.

 

I'm so curious.

 

So I silently glanced at the screen of his touch-screen mobile.

 

10 reasons why a girl must hate you

 

1. You’re ugly

 

2. You’re fat

 

3. You have no life and you sit on a couch all day eating chips

 

Key tsked, probably from the last three reasons.

 

4. You’re a jerk

 

5. You’ve done someth-

 

“Yah!”

 

I couldn’t help myself.

 

I took the phone out of his hands and continued reading the list.

 

5. You’ve done something really horrible to her.

 

Key took the phone back, a blush on his face.

 

“Hyung, why would you be looking at something like that?”

 

He twiddled his thumbs nervously.

 

Key was acting pretty cute, all fidgety and such.

 

That wasn’t very manly of him.

 

He should act manly. Like me.

 

“I have this friend… and… um… he is really attractive but there is a friend of his friend that’s a girl… and she’s the first girl not too stare at him a lot, or even flirt with him! He’s really offended. So I looked up this website for him…”

 

Sounds like a lie.

 

Taemin does not like lies.

 

Taemin doesn’t like a when Key lies.

 

Taemin should stop speaking to himself in third-person.

 

“Is that the truth?” I looked into his eyes, trying to intimidate him.

 

“Of course,” Key said to me, still a bit embarrassed.

 

Darn it.

 

Threatening people through eye contact does not work.

 

Whatever, I was still getting banana milk later!

 

“Banana milk~ Banana milk~ Banana milk~” I sang again.

 

Just then, the waiter came back with our noodles.

 

Eating time!

 

The server looked a bit familiar.

 

Do I know him?

 

Minji’s p.o.v

Right when I get back with the food, I find a thinking Taemin staring at my face. Why do I have such bad luck? “N-noona?” He stutters out, a bit surprised. , I must cover this up. Quickly, before Key notices it too.

“I am sorry, did you say something customer?” I looked at him.

He seems a bit taken aback at my response. “I must be hallucinating,” He mumbles. “Nothing, just give me my food please!”

I placed his bowl in front of him, along with his drink. I did the same for Key. “Well, I’ll check up on you later.” Then I scurried back to the kitchen. Like hell I’d go back to them. “Jiyoung, can you cover table 5 for me later? Tell them their last waiter had some constipation or diarrhea or something.” The guy didn’t know it, but he owed me.

He was so damn awkward, just shyly squirming uncomfortably in his seat. He must’ve been debating whether he should listen to me or not, since he was on his break. “Sorry, I really don’t want to. I’m not a really good server like you, and I can’t charm girls the way you do,” Jiyoung replied, very modest. Are you serious? He may seem like this now, but when on his job, he is very charismatic and confident.

“They aren’t girls, its two guys,” I said.

“Oh.”

Then the freaking guy ran away. I chased him, but then he entered the men’s bathroom. I didn’t go in. I still have my pride as a girl.

I went to the cashier, and then got the bill for the table.

I went back to table 5; seeing I gave them enough time to finish their meal. People eat fast when they’re hungry. “Would you like any desert?” I asked them. It was dinner time, and usually clients want sweets afterwards. “No thank you, I’m getting banana milk after this!” Taemin said, jumping up and down a bit. “Alright.” I placed the check down at the table. The receipt was in a long, thick leather bi-fold, which contained two pockets.

Key picked up the bill.

Then he paid for it.

It was really gentlemen-like of him to do so. I bowed at them. “Thank you for coming, and have a great day,” I said as they got up to leave. As I walked back to the kitchen, I looked at the check.

I didn’t get a tip.

--

A/N: Butler cafes exist. I am serious, they do. And, did you see that pun I intended when Taemin said "I'm so curious."  I will update very soon. I appreciate the comments. :3