The Date

I First Met Him in a Tree

 

 

A few days have passed. Now it is Saturday. My scheduled date with Taemin is today. I’m not very excited. I purposely dressed lazy, just so he could possibly break-up with me. The sooner, the better. It might take a while before I gather the courage to call it off between me and Taemin, so if he takes the initiative, that would be the best.

 

I show up at the place my “boyfriend” told me to go to. I am still thinking if I should show him my true personality, or not. At the corner of my eye, I spot a fashionable young man behind a vendor’s cart.

 

Key.

 

I told him to spy on our date, to prove I’m actually dating someone I don’t like. His sharp eyes look at me intently. Gosh, this guy really makes me un-comfortable.

 

I’m at the center of a plaza, where there is a huge fountain. To think I’m actually fifteen minutes early for this date. My feet shuffle backwards so I can sit at the ledge of the fountain. Around me couples stroll through the hot atmosphere. It is really freaking hot right now. I tug the collar of my shirt, letting some humid sticky air onto my skin.

 

That didn’t help at all.

 

My sweat begins to accumulate, and I start fanning myself with my hand. This arm of mine tires out too easily. Really, when is Taemin coming? I’ve already waited a decent two minutes or so. Soon, I give up on trying to cool myself down. I should be used to this weather already.

 

Finally, I see a well-dressed boy heading towards me.

He looks more handsome today than usual.

 

Wait, what the did I just say?

 

Taemin waves at me, and I smile at him. When he is directly in front of me, he startles me with a quick kiss on my cheek. I pretend like I knew he was going to do that. “Nice to see you arrived early.” He tells me. I don’t know how to respond to that, so I just take hold of his hand. Taemin jumps a little at my touch.

 

It is weird that we are holding hands and kissing already, very taboo in usual Korean dates.

But hey, who doesn’t like to be more modern nowadays?

 

We begin walking, and it seems like an hour before we arrive at a theater. He chooses an action movie for us, rather than a sappy romance film. It’s good to know he knows my preferences. I didn’t bring a handbag, so Taemin had to stuff the tickets in his pockets. He ordered a few boxes of candy, a large cup of soda, and a huge bucket of popcorn. We enter the door to our movie, and begin watching.

 

I slip two straws into the cup so me and Taemin could share the soda.

As the movie plays, I dig through the bucket of popped kernels with my eyes still focused on the large projected screen. Damn, this movie was really suspenseful. Still with my hand searching for a buttery piece, I feel someone’s fingers slightly touch mine. My hand jerks up impulsively.

 

Whatever, I wasn’t that hungry anyways.

 

Why is my throat suddenly feeling so parched?

 

I reach for the paper cup when I feel another small electric shock tingle at my fingertips. Damn it Taemin and his coincidentally surprising movements. I glance at him and he smirks at me. Was he purposely doing this?

 

I don’t even care anymore if he touched me. Quickly grabbing a handful of popcorn, I leaned my head to my straw for a sip. I feel a small bump and I find myself staring at Taemin’s fluffy mount of brown hair. My gut tells me he is looking up at me right now. I’m not exactly sure because the lights are incredibly dim.

 

We are apparently now both facing each other, heads up from our straws. I squint my eyes. (Take notice of the fact that I am wearing glasses.) What the heck does he think he is doing?

 

Oh .

 

Key’s p.o.v

 

What the hell does Taemin think he is doing? I jump down from my aisle that is two rows away from Minji’s seat. Crap. I stumble, but I luckily was able to catch myself. Oh no. Taemin’s face is getting closer to hers. My feet hurry, until I am standing directly behind there seats.

 

Wait wait wait wait wait.

 

Why did I want to stop Taemin from kissing Minji? I don’t even ing like the damn girl for crying out loud. She is way too unusual and strong-willed for me.

 

Taemin’s face gets even closer to Minji’s.

 

Ooops.

 

Taemin’s p.o.v

 

What the…

 

Why is hyung’s hand pushing my face away?

 

“Hyung! What are you doing here?!? And why did you do that?!?!”

 

He let’s go of my face and scratches his head.

 

“Sorry Teminnie. But you were going to kiss her, and its way to early for you to do that…” His voice was timid.

 

I give him a confused expression.

 

“I was just taking a closer look at Noona’s face, I thought I saw something on it. Like a food mark, a piece of fluff, or a bug.” I explained.

 

Key turns red, apologizing for the misunderstanding. When I ask him why he was here, he didn’t say anything.

 

He ran away.

 

The Almighty Key ran away from the Maknae Taemin.

 

Now that would be a great story to tell others.

 

My eyes settle on Minji, who has once again, faced the screen. She crunches on the chocolate candy bits I bought, a satisfying smile plastered on her face. Noona must really like this movie, and the candy. She looks so adorable right now.

 

I see a smudge of chocolate on her cheek. I try to ignore it, and continue to watch the movie, but it’s staring to irritate me a little. A clean napkin to my side is calling for me.

 

I must use it.

 

My fingers fumble significantly, getting the paper rag. My heart begins beating really loudly; I hope Noona doesn’t hear it. I’ve never done this before, and it’s making me nervous.

 

I gently swipe the chocolate off her face, the napkin wrapped around my pointer finger. I feel her flinch, but then relax after she realized what I was doing.

 

“Thank you Taemin-ah.”

 

My heart flutters softly at her sweet voice.

 

I put down my hand, and then continue watching the movie with her. She occasionally mumbles something like, “you can get him; you’re smarter than he is,”or“just kill the guy already!” during the film. It was like she was actually in the movie, blatantly giving out her opinions to the characters. Her face would turn a light pink, and she would puff up her cheeks in frustration when an actor wouldn’t listen to her.

 

I just wanted to squeeze her really tightly for being so cute.

 

When the credits start to roll up the screen, people began leaving. I gathered the trash from our food, and threw it away at a garbage can. Noona was behind me, still kind of influenced with what she just witnessed.

 

“Taemin, did you see how that airplane crashed right into the truck of explosives? Or that part where the two cars went haywire and an earthquake caused them to both fall off the suspension bridge? That movie was terrific!” She flailed her arms up to show how much she like the film.

 

“Yeah, it was a really nice watch.” I smiled at her.

 

Noona smiled back, and then took hold of the edge of my shirt. She tugged me to a small arcade across the street from the theater. She childishly pointed to the token exchange machine. Her charming attitude tempted me to buy her some tokens.

 

So I did.

 

She insisted on playing the gun stimulation games, and I gave in.

 

“Yay!” Her unconscious aegyo was completely irresistible. She took hold of the blue gun, and I took the pink one. She specifically chose an AK-47 U I believe, and I chose a random firearm called a Sniper Rifle. Her aiming was completely spot on, while mine was off, even with the assist of a magnifying aim attachment. Noona was really good at the game, killing all her enemies with multiple machine-like shots.

My gun was really bad, and it only took one shot at a time, taking a long while to re-load.

She had more experience at this, rather than me, a boy.

 

My pride got the best of me.

 

“Not fair Noona! I blame the gun I used for my failure in the game.” I announced.

 

She slyly chuckled. “Are you demanding a re-match?”

 

“Bring it on!” I inserted four more coins, and we played another round. This time, I chose a revolving machine pistol thing. I felt that good sense of victory when I accomplished killing an enemy.

 

But Noona won again.

I began whining about how messed-up the game was, and it was its fault for making me lose. Noona laughed at my silly complaints, and I laughed with her. Her giggle was really pretty, very light and good-hearted.

 

After our laughter died down, we played a couple more multiplayer games. It was really fun. When I saw a crane game in the distance, I went to it. There was a cute giant owl plushy in the corner of the mechanism. It reminded me of Noona, a bit odd, but still strangely cute.

 

“What’s that Taemin?” Noona rested her chin on my shoulder, and I could feel her breath against my neck. My heart thumped very fast, but I remained quiet and tried to capture the owl doll. She looked at the glass with me, her hair brushing against my ear. I could feel her chest slightly touch my back.

 

Must…Concentrate…On getting…Owl…

 

My heart was thumping very very very fast now, because of Noona, and the fact that I was almost getting the plushy. I directed the joystick to hover above the thing I wanted. I gave a deep breath, and pushed down the red button. The giant crane dug its hooks on to the huge owl doll.

 

I got it.

 

Noona took her chin off my shoulder and started jumping up and down with me.

 

“You got the owl Taemin! You did it!” She cheered for me. I grabbed the plushy from the deposit bin and shyly handed it to her.

 

“This is for you,” I said.

 

“Are you sure you want to give this to me?” She questioned.

 

“You don’t like it?” My voice dropped to a level of disappointment.

 

“Aniyo, I absolutely love the owl! Thankyou!” Noona hugged me, with the doll in between us. She took the owl, happily tucking it to her side.

 

“I’m glad you liked it!” I smiled widely, very pleased that she accepted my gift.

 

As me and Noona stepped out of the arcade, we stopped for a second to feel the air. It had gotten cooler since a few hours ago. I still can’t believe that much time had already passed. “Are you hungry?” I asked her. “Ye~” Her appetite must be a little big, because I am still a tiny bit full from the popcorn, candy, and soda.

 

“Ruuuuuuummmmmmbbbbbbbblllllllleeeeeeee.” Minji’s stomach went. She really must be hungry. We walked until we were at a café. I opened the door for her, seeing she might struggle with that giant doll at her side. We take a seat at a small round table. It must be a self-ordering café because I see no waitresses. This eatery was a bit western, with all the U.S dishes I’m seeing.

 

“What do you want me to order at the cashier?”

 

Minji thought about it before replying. “Ham, cheese, and lettuce sandwich with chips and ice coffee please.” I nodded and bought the food for her. For myself, I got a hamburger and a banana smoothie. We munched on the yummy food until our plates were clean. We left with content tummies.

 

The day was ending, and so was our date. I walked Noona back home.

 

“I’ll savor the memories I had with you.” I said to her, full of heart.

 

“So will I.” She responded, truly honest.

 

“Hopefully we can have more dates in the future, right?”

 

“Of course Taemin-ah.”

 

She placed a soft kiss on my forehead, and I closed my eyes blissfully.

I opened my eyelids to see her wave me goodbye, then enter her house gently shutting the door behind her.

 

I really am in love with Kim Minji.

 

Minji’s p.o.v

 

I can’t believe my heart is reacting now. All the guilt is beginning to build up inside me. On the date, half of the time I was acting, and the other half was my real self. But when I said I would have more dates with Taemin, it made me feel really bad.

 

I lied.

 

He has his attractive sides, but there is something about him that’s a little off. I could see that glint of hope and love in his eyes when I left him outside.

 

My arms squeeze the large owl doll while my legs head up-stairs. It’s quiet. The house must be empty again. I sigh, putting the plushy down on my bed. My parents are being a bit weird nowadays. They aren’t fighting, or divorced or anything. It’s as if they’ve gotten bored of each other, and are starting to drift away from one another. They are very weird.

 

I change my clothes and brush my teeth, then settling on the comfort of my bed. It was a long day today.

But I wonder about something.

 

What happened to Key?

--

A/N: I'll update soon. This chapter was really fun to make, hopefully you guys like it :3