chapter 1: Lee DongHae

If Tomorrow Never Comes

 

That day was just like any other day of the young man's life. He woke up early at 6am and freshens up. He wore his favorite elegant black suit then he had his breakfast alone. After a quick quiet coffee as breakfast, the handsome brunette he checked himself in the large mirror hug on his dashing living room. Satisfied with what he saw, with grim face, he headed to his office; the prestigious Lee and Son Law Firm at 7.45 am sharp. 

He had been doing this routine since 5 years ago and he never missed a single detail of them. Routines, work, routines, work, work, and more work. He used to be more lively and happier, but now his life is no more than repetitive actions. Like a doll without soul. 

Resting his head on the car seat, Lee DongHae cannot helped himself but to wonder, to where had the happier and carefree Lee DongHae gone? After a while a bitter smile displayed on his thin lips. Maybe he had lost his 'own self' when he left 'the street' and stayed with his father in their big 'castle' years ago. Contrary of his own belief, money could not buy happiness after all.  

Looking at the busy streets of Seoul  through his heavily tinted Mercedes Benz’s glass, DongHae still can clearly remembers, 10 years ago, he was there, in the street, doing almost everything a kid capable of for a bowl of rice.

DongHae was an orphan once, before his father found him. He used to live his life the hardest way. He used to sleep in boxes and went on several days with only a loaf of bread as his supply, but those hard days had long gone. he now blessed with luxurious life. There were time he felt that he was just living his childhood dream. His life seemed so surreal. Of all the sudden, the poor street kid Lee DongHae have a mansion to live in, butlers at home accommodating all his needs, even a driver to drive where ever his hearts desires, when at one point in his life, eating alone was a huge problem to them..

..to both of ‘them’…

“ DongHae-ssi, we are here already” his drivers’ brawls voice awakened him for the 2nd time today.

“Uh, yes Kangin-hyung, thank you. Can you pick me up at 10 pm today? I Need to finish up all my works first, it will be late, so I think it going to be a waste of your time if you come earlier.” DongHae groand inside. His head started to throb painfully at the thought of his ever pailing works. The young lawyer shook his head, he really need a break.

“I understand DongHae-ssi, at 10 pm sharp, I’ll be here. Just ring me if you decided to go anywhere or to come home earlier.” Kangin said while opening DongHae's car door for him.

“Ok, thanks..In addition, KangIn-hyung.. Please, drop the -ssi thing, honorary really doesn’t suit us, you know..” DongHae smiled at his faithful driver, sometimes bodyguard and a friend KangIn-hyung as he walked out of the car. From the corner of his eyes, he caught Kangin smiled back warmly to him while shaking his head and mumbled things about he won’t dare.

KangIn-hyung is a good friend of DongHae. He’d been working for him since 7 years already. When DongHae first met him, he’s just discharged from the military service and looking for a job.  He is always a bubbly, loud man, and sometimes he talks too much until DongHae's dad gave him a lecture about how he should behaves in front of his employee about 1 year ago. Since that day, he’s not too talkative, at least to DongHae, anymore.

He bowed deeply before drove away. He waved to DongHae as the man waved back at him before he’s out of his sight.

Walking through the glass door towards the lifts, bunch of faceless and nameless workers bowed and greeted the young master. DongHae greeted them back politely and smiled to them. Sometimes he feels sorry for not knowing any of them, but most of them are so stiff towards him and only talks to him in a very business-like and formal manner. None of them seems to be interested to become his friend, but he can't complaint much about this as he know how his father treats them. They were “trained” to be like this, especially towards 'them', the employee. They need more discipline, as he quoted his dad words.

Approaching his 12th floors office, DongHae smiled a bit as a sudden outburst of laughter exploded behind the closed door. They must be YunHo-hyung and KyuHyun. If there’s anybody in this building ever treat him as a human being, it must be them two.

YunHo, older than him by two years. The man is one of the top and most seeks out lawyer in the country. He is a very fierce and agile man in court, never backup or lost in any of his cases. As the person, he is tall, handsome and full of life, but its’ his devil-may-care attitudes that is really attached people to him. He even has the guts to stand up against DongHae's father, survived and still being Lee SooMan’s favorite boy after that.

GaemKyu or KyuHyun; the youngest, the most genius and the wittiest in their firm. Joined the firm at tender age of 20 as an intern, 3 years ago. Until now there is nobody who could challenge this evil laywer's sharp tongue. DongHae loves him because of his honesty, but sometimes the boy just said whatever comes to his mind without any filters and the words are so piercing until the listeners' heart could literally bleed hearing them. KyuHyun is a tall, pale, yet a very attractive young man. Looking by his appearance, nobody could ever guessed that he is a game addict. He did not let go of his game console even in court while hearing cases. This young one really is a lost cause of addiction.

“Yo, young prince! It is about time you shows up, lets grab some breakfast before we starts our pitiful day today!” YunHo casually draped his long arm on DongHae's shoulder and literally dragged him towards the cafeteria. KyuHyun followed suit behind while mumbled 'die die' towards the game console in his hands. 

Oh yes, this is another routine in his life, but maybe the one that he enjoys the most. 

He usually will grab his 2nd breakfast with his friends, while discussing about their cases over breakfast. Sometimes, the YunHo-KyuHyun duo will continue their persuasion on how DongHae need to get some life, to get out and have some fun, which to their dismay, the young man always say no. After that, all three of them heads to their retrospectives offices, met with clients, goes to court, works through the lunch and dinners, and usually go home late at night. 

YunHo, being his energetic-self, usually will continue his days with clubbing and ‘having fun’ as he always does. Mean while KyuHyun, being an addict that he is, straight away go home to continue his never-ending online ‘battle’. 

Hiding his smile behind his second cup of coffee that morning, DongHae left wondering. If his father never found him years ago, and if he never fell in this routine, what would he being doing right now. Will ‘they’ still be together until today?

Tbc ***