College Days Chapter 8

College Days

 

*

JaeHwa,

I know I have not contacted you since you left, but that is hardly my fault. If you had stayed and done what you were told to do, you would be better off. Anywho, next Saturday your father and I are holding a gala to celebrate 15 years of successful service. We would like you to attend, so that we may keep the image of being a happy and united family. If you do well, we might consider letting you back in the household. And please, do wear something elegant. I have a reputation to uphold.

Lee SookYoung

*

   SooMi watched JaeHwa as she paced the living room, yelling into her phone. She had called her mother to try and get out of this, but apparently, Lee SookYoung wasn't hearing it.

"I don't care about the family reputation!! I'm not going! ... I don't give a damn about inheritance! I don't want your money! ... No, I will not attend. I don't care if you disown me, I'm not going to your stupid gala, and I will definately not be returning to the household!" With that, JaeHwa hung up. It was now Wednesday, and her mother had finally answered the phone.

*Flashback*

"A letter from your mother? Why?" SooMi couldn't believe it. Hadn't JaeHwa been disowned?

"She wants me to attend a gala so that the family image will be upheld." JaeHwa said bitterly. By now SooMi was thoroughly confused. She decided to voice her confusion.

"Family image?" JaeHwa couldn't help but laugh. She was right. They had never really been a family.

"The media thinks that I just went away for school and that we're still one big happy family. So, to keep up an image, they want me to the gala. I won't, though."*End flashback*

   SooMi watched as JaeHwa let herself drop on the couch.

"So?" She was extremely curious.

"I won't go. And now they're threatening to disown me. They won't do that though." JaeHwa said, leaning her head back.

"Why not?" It seemed like a serious threat.

"Because it would get out in the media and ruin my parents' reputation." Explained the blonde girl. She was exhausted. She didn't like arguing with her parents. She wished that they could get along and be a real family, but she couldn't be like them. Her parents were selfish, controlling people. When she had still lived with them, they told her what to do, what to wear, and who to be. She couldn't be the perfect, selfish daughter they wanted. She couldn't be a lawyer. She could be a psychologist though. And that's what she would be. She would help people, not for her own personal gain, but just for the sake of helping them. She wouldn't be like her parents.

**************

   It was the night of the gala. JaeHwa was sitting on the couch in the living room, wearing baggy sweatpants, a tank top, and fluffy socks. SooMi was curled up next to her, wearing black boy shorts, a tank top, and red and black ankle socks. They were watching a cheap horror movie while waiting for the guys to arrive with better movies. Scary movies, of course. JaeHwa was protesting all formal events. Especially a certain gala she was supposed to be attending right now.

"What time are the guys supposed to be here?" SooMi asked, stretching her back.

"In a few minutes." Replied JaeHwa, glancing at her friend. It was rare to see SooMi so relaxed.

"Alright. Are they bringing food?" The orange-haired girl was craving chocolate.

   The doorbell rang just as JaeHwa was about to answer, scaring SooMi, who screamed and fell off the couch. JaeHwa was still laughing when she opened the door to reveal five very confused guys.

"Who screamed?" Asked Key, looking worried.

"SooMi." Before the blonde girl could explain why, Key was running into the dorm, looking frantic.

"Relax Key, I'm sure she's fine. JaeHwa doesn't look worried, does she?" JongHyun called, smiling and shaking his head. The other boys just walked into the living room, laughing at the sight that met them.

"You're sure you're alright?!" Key exclaimed, shaking the orange-haired girl.

"I'm fine, Key oppa! Really!" SooMi exclaimed, trying to calm down the older boy.

"Then why did you scream? Tell me why you screamed!" Demanded Key, narrowing his eyes.

"Because the doorbell startled me!" Exclaimed the girl, blushing. She suddenly found herself engulfed in a hug.

"Thank God!! For a second I thought JaeHwa was murdering you!"

"Excuse me?!" Exclaimed JaeHwa, looking at Key in shocked surprise.

"No offense, but you do have a bit of a temper." He told her in an offhanded way.

"Well so does SooMi!!" Cried the blonde, pointing an accusing finger at the girl who was still trapped in Key's arms.

"Jeongmal? She doesn't seem to be the type to have a temper." JongHyun said, tilting his head and studying the still blushing martial artist.

"That's waht makes her even more scary when she get mad! You don't expect it!!" The blonde told them, crossing her arms and "harrumphing."

"Says the girl who threw a hard cover textbook at me last week!!" Exclaimed SooMi, struggling to escape Key's grasp. Apparently, he thought it safer for everyone to keep his hold on her. She was an expert in martial arts. The boys watched the two girls argue for a bit more before deciding to intervene, lest someone get hurt.

"Okay, who wants to watch a movie?" Onew asked loudly, holding up a bag full of movies.

"I do!! Did you guys bring food? And by food, I mean chocolate." SooMi said, finally freeing herself.

"Ne, we brought chocolate." TaeMin said, grinning.

"We also brought candy." MinHo piped up, walking forward to show the orange-haired girl the two bags filled with sugary goodness.

"Dibs on the Hershey's Cokkies and Cream!!" She yelled upon seeing the two chocolate bars in the bag.

"Darn!!" JaeHwa cried, pouting.

"Yah, JaeHwa, don't pout!! I got you Starburst." JongHyun told his cousin, grinning at her when her face lit up.

"I don't care what you take as long as I have the jelly beans." Key said, fishing through one of the bags.

"Gummy bears are mine!!" Said TaeMin, shouting joyfully when he found them.

"No one touch the Swedish Berries!" MinHo said, setting down the bags to make searching easier for Key.

"Fuzzy Peach are mine!!" JongHyun yelled, joing the epic search for everyone's candy of choice.

"What are you gonna have, Onew oppa?" Asked JaeHwa, approaching the oldest boy as he chose a movie. 

"Me? Nothing right now. I had chicken not too long ago." Replied Onew, smiling. JaeHwa smiled back, chewing happily on a Starburst. Everyone finally retrieved their preferred candy and settled down for the movie.

*******************************

   They were three quarters into their fourth horror movie. SooMi and TaeMin were unsuccessfully trying to hide each other at the same time, JaeHwa was curled up into Onew, hising her face in his chest, JongHyun and Key were snuggling on the floor, and MinHo had fallen asleep somewhere near the end of the second movie. The chocolate lay abandoned on the floor.

"How about we stop watching horror movies?" Key suggested, stopping the movie in the middle of a particularly gory scene. SooMi, JaeHwa and TaeMin all nodded eagerly, clearly unable to watch anymore. JongHyun laughed at their faces, which were pale and wary.

"We should get going. Some of us have early Sunday classes." Onew said, stretching. TaeMin nodded, yawning hugely as he got up. 

'Someone wake up MinHo. I don't think he'd like it if you all ditched him.'JaeHwa said, standing up.

"Okay, but how?" TaeMin asked. He was obviously sturggling to stay awake. SooMi was about to suggest getting a bucket of ice water, but before she could, the door to the dorm burst oen. This scared SooMi, who once again screamed.

"Lee JaeHwa, where have you been?"