College Days Chapter 20

College Days

 

  "I hate the last month of school. It's complete and utter hell." SooMi complained to TaeMin as they walked to Myths and Mysteries class. TaeMin chuckled.

   "At least we get the summer off after this." He told her, smiling at her.

   "True." SooMi smiled back, resisting the urge to hit him over the head. She had been dropping hints that she was interested for tthe past two months, and they were still at the platonic stage. How clueless could one guy be? When they had all met up after the holidays, everyone officially had a significant other. Everyone except for her and TaeMin. She didn't like being the fifth wheel (or whatever number wheel she was) and she knew that TaeMin didn't either. And she really liked TaeMin. It wasn't a secret either. Everyone knew. Except for TaeMin.

 

   The martial artist was ready to give up. She did have one option left, but she wasn't going to use it until there was absolutely no other choice. It would be extremely embarrassing for her if she did end up having to make the first move.

   "Anyway, where's JaeHwa? She usually walks with us to class." Asked TaeMin, shifting his bag from one shoulder to another.

   "She's with Onew. Again."

   "You sound a little bitter."

   "Do I?" SooMi stalked into class and dropped into her seat, leaving a confused TaeMin standing in the doorway.

*******

   "Key hyung~ What are you doing here? Don't you have class?" TaeMin asked, skipping into the dance studio, a grumbling SooMi behind him.

   "It was cancelled. Hey SooMi." Replied Key, goiinf up to sling an arm around SooMi's shoulders.

   " Hey Key oppa. How are you?" Replied the martial artist, giving the older boy a slight smile.

   "I'm doing pretty good. Two of my classes are cancelled today." He told her, directing her towards JaeHwa and Onew, who had skipped class.

   "Lucky you. My classes are never cancelled. We have an exam next Thursday, JaeHwa." SooMi told her friend, sitting down next to her.

   "Okay. Is it the final, or just a review exam?" Asked JaeHwa,intertwining her fingers with Onew's.

   "Review exam. Our final is the week after." Answered SooMi.

   "Okay. Thanks. You'll help me study, right?" JaeHwa said, standing up with Onew.

   "Yeah. Where are you going?" Questioned the martial artist, frowing as she watched the couple leaving.

   "Dorm. We're skipping today." Onew called over his shoulder. The couple chuckled when they heard SooMi's sputtered protests.

 

   Five minutes later the pair was sitting on Onew's couch in his dorm, watching a movie.

   "This movie is wierd." JaeHwa said, frowning. 

   "It's also a classic. Wicked is not wierd." Onew retorted, poking his girlfriend in the stomach. JaeHwa's retort was cut off by her phone ringing. She gave Onew a look that said their argument was not over, then stood up and went to the bathroom to answer her phone.

 

   Onew had paused the movie and was in the kitchen making popcorn when JaeHwa returned. One look at her face and he instinctively knew that something was wrong. Completely forgetting the popcorn in the microwave he went to her and led her back to the living room and onto the couch.

   "What's wrong?" He asked her after getting them settled down.

   "They took everything from my savings account. I have no money of my own to pay for college and they won't pay for me unless I move back in with them. Ugh!" JaeHwa explained, rubbing away the tears angrily. 

   Onew knew right away who "they" were; her parents. He pulled JaeHwa into his lap and held her against him, letting her cry.

   "It's okay. It'll work out. You'll see. It'll be okay."

 

   30 minutes later, JaeHwa had stopped crying and was resting her head against Onew's shoulder.

   "I just want them to leave me alone. I'm not like them. Is that really so hard to understand?" Asked the blonde girl, sighing heavily.

   "I know. But you can't let this get you down. And as for paying for college, you have a cousin with a supportive family whom I'm sure would not mind helping out. You also have an awesome klutz of a boyfriend who definitely doesn't mind pitching in. Everything will be fine. You'll see." Onew told her, kissing the top of her head. JaeHwa just snuggled closer to him in response, closing her eyes and breathing in his scent (he smelled just a little bit like fried chicken). She hoped he was right.