Chapter 2

Part-Time, Over-qualified

Arian didn’t want to come to work the next Saturday but she needs to, it’s not easy to find a part-time job really. She’ll just have to put up with that Minhyuk if the “situation” can’t be fixed. It was a misunderstanding obviously but she was still hurt.

She told Des about what had happened but to add more to her irritation, Des was actually laughing and saying she shouldn’t take it deeply and as soon as Minhyuk realizes what he had done he’s gonna be extra sweet.

Minhyuk? Sweet?  She can’t imagine.

Her shift just started when their manager, Andrea, called her and Des in the office room so they can meet the new bartender, Kat, who was Minhyuk’s referral. They needed another bartender to help Jinhyuk around. She’s also a petite girl with a sweet dimpled smile. For one, Kat doesn’t look like she fits in a bar scene, but looks can be really deceiving. Minhyuk proved that by judging her.

And speaking of the devil, he just got in the door, without knocking, then smiled towards the three other girls and gave out a priceless expression when he saw Arian. It was between being shocked and mad?

“What she doing here?” He asked, staying by the door, arms folded on his chest. Andrea raised an eyebrow and looked at her three girl employees then back to Minhyuk. “That kid.” Minhyuk looked directly at Arian, and it was giving her the same chills she felt last Saturday but not letting him see it. She just stood her ground and smiled calmly.

“She works here?” Their manager answered confused. “Is there~” She trailed off laughing, realizing the situation. “Was she that ‘kid’ who got in your dressing room last week?”

Minhyuk nodded, eyes still small.

“I see.” Their manager continued laughing and Des joined in. “It was her first day last Saturday and she’s not one of those giggling fangirls who got me in trouble.”

“But…” Minhyuk didn’t look convinced. While Arian was surprised that Andrea got in trouble.

“She’s a part-timer only.” Andrea explained, “And be nice Minhyuk, she’s a noona.”

And I’m not a fan of you, really. Arian wanted to add, watching Minhyuk’s expression. Eyes less strong and no longer looking at her.

“So, I guess you owe someone an apology?” Andrea continued, watching Arian and Minhyuk.

He gave out a loud sigh, “You sure she’s older than me? Us? And not some crazy fangirl?” He just asked.

“Ask her.” Andrea laughed again. Arian was trying hard to keep her smirk, enjoying his uncomfortable situation. Mean me, but I have to get even somehow.

“If you say so.” Minhyuk shrugged as well, looking everywhere in the room but her. “I’ll leave Kat to you now. I need to set-up.” He didn’t wait for a response and got out the room, leaving the four girls laughing harder.

**

Some crazy fangirl?

Arian’s curious about Minhyuk’s issues with fangirls. A performer who hates fans? Doesn’t go well. And she’s just curious and confused.

But she didn’t have time to think much about it when more guests arrived. It was almost midnight and Minhyuk would be starting to perform soon. This time the tables weren’t cleared out since it was more of a lady’s night, a routine every one weekend of the month.

“So it’s going to be a flirty-night?” Arian was thinking out loud, still she got a response from Des who nodded, grinning.

“Flirty. Sometimes cat fights arises, very entertaining.” Des then said nonchalantly, handing the glasses to Kat for her to wash. The girls get to hang out by the bar since the boy waiters were the once tasked to serve the customers, all part of the lady’s night theme. They were just to wait to clear the tables.

Arian just raised an eyebrow and looked at the stage’s direction and Minhyuk was already up there setting up some amps and whatever he needs. He was pointing everywhere, instructing the technical team, just like a boss. He then looked by the bar and they get to catch each other’s eyes, Arian flinched but didn’t looked away. Minhyuk did looked away first, but not without a mean stare.

What’s his problem really? She so wanted to confront him now and ask for an apology, which she deserves, but she didn’t want to ruin the night.

“Taste test!” Kat then clapped her hands and offered them both a bluish-sparkling drink on a tube.

“You know, we’re not allowed to drink much during work time.” Des said but downed hers in one shot. “Wow, refreshing!”

Kat nodded enthusiastically and looked expectantly at Arian. She smelled her drink first before taking a sip. She smiled after tasting the tangy taste and took her time finishing it.

“What’s in it?” Arian raised her tube, Des found the pitcher and helped herself. “Hey! You said we can’t drink much!”

“It’s just a tube!” Des said on her defense before taking the second shot. “And I got a very high alcohol tolerance.” She offered the pitcher to Arian after filling her third shot.

Kat was just giggling at them. “Treat it as an appetizer, it’s my new concoction and I’ll be glad to share it here where Heota-Oppa is working.”

“Like an entry-essay for Andrea?” Des asked, picking up some nuts before downing the nth tube.

“Yeah.” Kat nodded and filled Arian’s tube then her own. They clinked the tubes and drink it.

“Had Jinhyuk tasted this?” Des asked Kat, she already stopped filling the tube but eyeing the pitcher carefully. “I bet Andrea would say yes.”

“Yup!” Kat nods again, “But Jinhyuk-oppa and Heota-oppa told me that it’s you who’s got the right taste buds for alcoholic drinks.”

“Really?” Des said slowly, smiling. “They’re right.” And with that she filled her tube again. “And I say you pass.”

Kat and Arian laughed. Des then carried the pitcher and another tube so she can discuss it with Andrea.

There were some screaming going on near the stage and when they looked towards the direction, girls were just all around Minhyuk, handing him gifts. He just gone down the stage and was entertaining ‘the fans’ with picture-taking.

Wanted to be fresh on the pictures, I bet. Arian just sighed, staring at the girls, comparing herself to them. Well, they don’t look like their age and no way do they act to what their ages were suppose to be. She frowned, thinking that they should be the one getting the blame and not someone as innocent as her.

She won’t deny that she’s an experienced fangirl but she doesn’t act like that nor is she a fan of Minhyuk, or Heota-Oppa for them.

“Heota-oppa’s nice.” Kat said, taking her out from deep thoughts. “He’s quite arrogant and OC but he’s kind.”

Arian just smiled. “Why are you calling him Heota instead of his real name? I mean, aren’t you friends…”

“Oh,” Kat answered with a dimpled smile, “I was a big fan of him, I still am, before I really got to be close to him.”

It was definitely a surprise for her. Friends with a fan? Headache.

“He was actually a friend of my older brother.” Kat continued, wiping the glasses. “I didn’t know it at first. Heota-oppa performed at our school and I was a fan right there and then. I can’t get enough of him so I followed him around…”

“And…?” Arian can sense that there’s more to the story. They were just interrupted when a couple of giggling girls walked over towards the bar and ordered. They were chattering non-stop about Minhyuk and Arian can’t help but roll her eyes, catching on their topic. Minhyuk’s ? Really?

Once they walked away Kat continued on her story, “My grades were dropping because I wanted to watch his gigs and he only performs during weekdays since his weekends were filled with other part-time jobs to cover his tuition fees. It was I think a year or two ago, I was still not legal to be inside places like this, my older brother caught me. He was actually performing with Heota-oppa that night, and wow, I got a double sermon from them both. If I wasn’t Eunkwang-oppa’s sister, Heota-oppa could have treated me the way he did to you.”

Arian blinked. So this guy’s got some loyal fans.

“Heota-oppa’s sensitive with age and education.” Kat shrugged. “And I’m just used calling him by his stage name. Minhyuk feels so weird in my tongue.” They laughed.

“So now, you’re in a win-position to be working where he performs?” Arian asked. They looked back on the stage, Minhyuk’s already up and the audience started hooting.

“In a way, yes.” Kat agreed, “But it’s not me who’s gonna benefit from all of this.” She laughed.

**

Arian’s conversation with Kat was interrupted when Minhyuk started. He again started with something slow, Leessang’s You’re the answer to a Guy like Me.

Des was right how she described the crowd, it wasn’t as wild like last Saturday but it was really overcrowded. And the girls, screaming, giggling, hooting, and all other kinds of noises were enough to fill Tokyo Dome.

It was another confusing moment as Arian observed him. He raps and can definitely sing well. His poise was confident and his facial expressions were playing. One moment he’s got this serious façade then he’ll be showing a very small smirk than makes the girls swoon crazily.

Again, Arian was just mesmerized on the moment. Minhyuk’s charms were undeniably…fascinating. He’ll get your attention no matter what. And even though it’s more for the lady’s tonight, there were still men enjoying his performance.

The girl waitresses started helping out when the crowd got bigger. They were back on their designated tables and it was a turn of events for Arian.

She’s already trusted on getting out the orders and the tables under her were definitely trippin’ on her. They’re ordering one drink after another, dropping a spoon or fork too often, or missing a straw when she was sure she gave them already. Worst, her shoulder muscles were sore when she was bumped by random girls too many times. She so wanted to even scream when she her face almost met the floor when she almost tripped. It wasn’t an ‘accident’ for sure.

She was already crying when she got by the bar, dropping the empty tray on it and sat on the stool, crying her frustration. Good thing the customers were into Minhyuk’s performance to take notice of her.

Kat was suddenly in front of her offering her some tissue and a glass of water. She accepted it and took sips of water.

“What’s wrong?” Kat asked, signaling Jinhyuk that she’ll be helping Arian first. He nodded and flashed a warm smile.

“I want to wear my killer-stilettos and step on those es.” Arian huffs, she already wiped her tears. “I’m so sure I didn’t get their orders mixed up or whatever. Or is it just a night to bully Arian?”

“It happens on places like this, unnie.” Kat slowly and sadly said.

“Even tripping?” Arian tried to smile, “I knew there are customers hard to handle, I work with people. I guess I’m just unlucky to encounter them tonight.” She didn’t dare look their direction and be called again. the tips.

“Are they the girls on table 1 or 2?” Kat asked looking on that direction.

“One. Those girls in pink.” Arian took another sip of water.

“I know them!” Kat exclaimed, “They’re the rich girls from my school, and Heota die-hards.”

“Just my luck.”

“And I think I know why they trippin on you.” Kat made her look at the stage and she was surprise to see Minhyuk looking at her with an unfathomable expression. She looked back raising an eyebrow. He was now doing a Clazziquai cover as he keeps glancing towards her direction.

And when Arian looked back on table one, dagger stares were all on her. “Time to hide behind Andrea now.” Arian said and reached for the radio hidden under the bar.

**

Arian was designated to finish the inventory, avoiding the mean girls. It was almost closing time when she got out and good thing she wasn’t a part of the cleaning team for tonight. Andrea holds her up for a debriefing and told her that they’re going to ban those girls since they brought in a minor. She was thankful for that and apologized for her reaction.

“Minhyuk’s the cause really.” Andrea said, “Truth is, most of my part timers leave because of Minhyuk’s fans. Those girls got this mentality that they can just apply here to get close to him. But I can smell people.”

“And I smell what?” Arian laughed.

“Normal.”Andrea grinned.

Kat asked them if they wanted a ride since his brother’s going to pick him up but Arian felt like walking and it’s almost four in the morning, so the first bus trip wouldn’t be that far. She was just confused when Andrea and Kat were pushing Des to go with Kat.

But when Kat’s brother got in, Des’s face got red and Andrea had a teasing smile. Arian remembered him as one of the boys Minhyuk performed with last week. The one who always fixes his hair and an eye but shy smile. He gave Arian an acknowledgement nod and a small wave to Des.

“Hi.” He greeted and took Kat’s bag pack. “Ready?” His sister nodded.

“Everyone this is my brother, Eunkwang.” Kat said, pulling him close. “Des needs a ride.” She chirped.

“No…” Des shook her head. “I-I’m…”

“YES.” Andrea and Kat said in unison.

Eunkwang just gave them a funny look and just smiled. “Where’s Minhyuk?”

“We still need to finish some planning for his performance next week.” Andrea answered pushing Des towards him. 

“You sure you don’t need a ride?” Kat asked Arian again.

“Sure.” Arian ushered them out, watching Des turn redder.

“My brother was the one who asked Minhyuk to get me a job here.” Kat winked. Des already climbed inside the car and Eunkwang’s face was just all smiles.

**

Arian’s not scared of the dark nor walking alone. She knew the city streets well enough because of her job but she still being careful. The night felt serene and safeand… or not.

The ‘rich-in pink-banned’ girls were waiting for her. She’s got no way out since she was quickly surrounded by five girls. Really? This happens on dramas or high-schools only.

Though they were taller, Arian didn’t cower down. “Anything you left at the bar?” she asked and was borbamded with questions and more bad words…

“Who do you think you are?”

“Stay away from our Heota-oppa.”

“Biiitch~”

Not again! Damn, that Minhyuk. Somebody then pushed her and she lost her balance. She was anticipating kicks and she covered her head with her bag. But the girls weren’t around her now they were all jumping and screaming ‘Heota’.

She removed her bag and saw Minhyuk standing, eyes looking mean. Again.

“Stay away from me.” He said threateningly and walked towards Arian. “You okay…noona?”

Arian nodded. Noona? There was a flicker of concern but he’s still got the serious look. He helped her up and Arian can feel her ankle gave.

“Ouch.” She cried.

He then carefully led her to the wall for support before going to the giggling girls. He took out his phone and took a picture of them.

“Imma find you all and make sure to call your parents so you’re going to be grounded for life.” Minhyuk calmly said.

“But oppa~ “

“I’m being nice. Please, stop following me.” He said, “I don’t need fans like you who jeopardize my friend’s jobs and hurting people…you’re all nuisance.” He said the last three words with a real angry tone.

They must have finally felt it. They actually scrammed away from Minhyuk and with a heavy sigh he went back to Arian. He kneeled to check her ankle while Arian can’t help but start to cry.

“It’s just a sprain.” He murmured, “Don’t worry.”

“Don’t worry?” Arian said angrily, “You’re not even that celebrity famous and I’m not even related to you in anyway and I get to experience all these unluckiness!”

Minhyuk let down her foot and stood up, a bit surprised.

“Oh my~ “ She tried to walk, “This is great! Just freaking great! I’m not even a fan of you…”

“Here.” He offered his arms not minding what she said, but Arian just looked at him angrily, sniffing. “If you don’t take this I’ll be forced to carry you and I’m too tired to do that.”

“Fine.” She said letting him help her, funny thoughts of them falling when she’s on his back. She clutches his arms as they walk towards the bus stop. He was just looking straight while Arian tried to concentrate on walking. She won’t be able to move around fast and she’s not sure how it’s going to affect her work next week. She lets out a deep sigh.

“You okay?” Minhyuk asked. He led her to the cool metal chairs on the bus stops.

“Obviously, I’m not.” She said sarcastically.

“I think we should just take a cab.” Minhyuk said standing up, “We should go to a clinic for that sprain.”

Arian shook his head, “Don’t mind me. I’ll just get myself checked-up later.” Really, all she wanted is for him to go. She could be the envy of all the raging Heota-fans but she won’t be bragging something like this. Jinja!

“Sorry.” He whispered, too soft that she almost missed it.

That changed a lot of her thoughts...and feelings. She looked at him, his eyes getting soft and sincere. Arian remembered Des saying that their manager cannot really get angry at him, Is it his eyes? Or something more? But it was soon gone when the bus honked. Something more, most definitely.

“Let me at least walk you home?” He asked and saw a small boyish smile. That’s sweet, she thought. “Or Andrea’s going to kill me. She values employees way too much.”

At least he’s afraid of someone. She just laughed and let him help her again climb the bus.

She's still unsure and confused on the kid sitting beside her.

TBC

a/n: no proofread yet. Sorry for the loooong delay arian.