Chapter 8

Part-Time, Over-qualified

 

“It’s okay, I understand.” Arian sighed, “I’ll just see you next time, bye.” She pressed ‘end’ and threw her phone on the bed before going out from her bedroom. She’s disappointed but it’s not like she can hold everyone’s schedule.

Her parents had decided to stay at home this Christmas with Arian’s siblings and they asked her to just come home. It’s not like she doesn’t want to go home but she’s got a quick city tour right after Christmas day and the double holiday pay was just a nice offer. She misses them but it’s not big of a deal, she’ll find time to visit them soon.

“So…” She said loudly and opened her fridge which was already full of groceries. She at least had a three-days’ worth of food and more for 5 persons, anticipating a feast with her family. Fruits, vegetables, a lot of meat…she can’t eat them all.

And she had already cleared it with Andrea that she won’t be coming in for work the night before Christmas, actually they’ve already discussed that she didn’t have to come anymore since they were able to find a new full timer but she was more than welcome to stay if she wants to.

Maybe I should come as a guest? Have fun with them? But my food….and yeah, a special live guesting of Super Junior by midnight…

“Oh, I know…” She then punched her boss’s number, “Don’t cook on Saturday.”

 

*

 

“Minhyuk?” Arian just got off the bus and got a surprise when she saw Minhyuk waiting, smiling at her and quickly helped her with the bags of food she was carrying.

“At your service!” Minhyuk just said as he figures out how to carry all the bags, not letting Arian carry anything, “I was told you’d be bringing food for everyone so I volunteered to pick you up.”

“Thanks?” Arian laughed, “You always get ahead with food, huh?”

“Maybe.” Minhyuk shrugged and started walking, “Wow, these are heavy. You cooked a lot.”

“Yup.” She nodded, “My parents decided not to come, so I decided to cook for ya’ll.”

“Is that a bad news?” Minhyuk asked with a worry tone.

“No, no.” Arian smiled, “It’s all good, I‘ll see them next year. Not big of a deal, really.”

Minhyuk nodded only when Arian looked at him in the eyes, believing her by then. No one can really lie to the kid. “So, you’re spending welcoming Christmas with us then!” Minhyuk said cheerfully. They finally turned the corner where their work place is located.

“Er~” Arian didn’t know how to start, “Well~”

“You have other plans?” Minhyk suddenly stopped and looked at her. Was that disappointment? Arian thought. Why am I even stalling my answer…

“No other plans.” Arian stopped walking as well, “I’m just here to deliver the food, get my trays and go home. I’m waiting for a live stream anyway.”

“Super Junior?” He smirked. “That’s the plan?”

“Yup.” Arian smirked too and started walking with a fast pace towards the back door. “I’ve been missing my Saturday night life anyway.”

“Uh-huh.” Minhyuk followed her, “But those streams could be recorded, you can watch them tomorrow.”

“Live is live.” She answered.

“Live is live. Exactly.” Minhyuk caught up with her, “I mean, we’re alive, while Super Junior’s over the internet only.”

“Please, don’t make me stay.” Arian pleaded, feeling the confusion. “I’m not a loner but I’m all set to stay at home, I have already cooked my food and already set up my living room where I can watch the live stream peacefully. Please.” She blinked her eyes, acting cute.

“I’m not saying you’re a loner.” Minhyuk quickly defended, “But it’s Christmas night, why do you want to be alone?”

“It’s just how I want to spend my Christmas, Minhyuk.” They were already by the door a bouncer holding it open for them, “Just my usual night.” She got in first, heading straight to their manager’s office, avoiding Minhyuk for the meantime.

Arian’s really glad to see him tonight, after the long week of not hearing from him, waiting for his call for the anticipated date, er, meal treat. Maybe this proximity makes her like him more and she wants more. To know more about him, to be by his side, to watch his every performance… And for a moment, she just wanted to get away since she would be finally saying goodbye to them soon…and she doesn’t have any more reason to just go see him every time.

 

*

 

It was almost eleven pm when she completed her trays and packed them back in her bags. Arian transferred most of the food on their serving plates. The bar closed early and it will just be the sanctuary of the crew who didn’t go home for Christmas. They are having a mini party with nothing but drinks, her cooked food, and singing.

Arian would just be taking a cab back home and she’d be on time to set up her laptop. She thought of going back by ten but she had fun talking with Des and Kat and had this urge to stay. She’s tempted but…

But she’s being crazy, she’s got this gut feeling that she’d be missing Minhyuk more if she stays for tonight. She’d rather have a quiet exit than everyone knowing when would be her last night. It was actually decided that the new year’s eve would be her last night at work- and it’s only her and Andrea who knows it.

It should not be a big deal anyway, part timers come and go.  But her attachment with them was something unexpected and maybe, just probably, being infatuated with an actual person who she can be closed with was something that made her work and time with them exciting.

Des handed her again a shot of soju but she already refused it, feeling the kick from the alcohol already. “Are you guys trying to make me stay?” Arian sighed and handed the shot glass to Kat, “Really guys, I’m all set for tonight!”

“But it won’t be the same without you.” Kat pouted.

“Awww…” Arian pinched her cheek, “That’s sweet but really…I have to skype with my family too. They don’t know I work here.”

“But…”

“Just let Arian go, girls.” Andrea was right behind her, “We don’t want to get our lil’ chef here in trouble, right?” Des and Kat was to protest but followed their boss, waving at Arian and thanking her for the food.

Andrea walked her towards the door, passing people thanking her for the food. “Are you sure you don’t want to stay?”

“I…I really can’t.” Arian said, bowing her head down.

Andrea sighed and gave her a stern look first. “I won’t force you to stay but we would be really happy to have you celebrate Christmas with us. I know there are more reasons but if you could spend more time with us? You’ve been one of the coolest in my team.”

Arian really felt like crying. It’s nothing new that she is a crybaby but the warm words were just overwhelming and she knew Andrea can feel the real reason. “Thanks.”

Her boss gave her a hug and whispered, “Minhyuk’s fond of you already.” She was let go and tapped on the head lightly. “If you feel like coming back after the SJ streaming, we will be here till the morning! Wow, that rhymes.” They laughed and greeted Merry Christmas before Arian was completely out the door and walked towards the main highway.

She hailed for a cab and climb in but as soon as she pulled the door closed the other side opened and Minhyuk climbed in and was smiling at her.

Arian just stared at him while he continued grinning. And she can feel her heart skipped beats again.

“I heard you made beef casserole but you didn’t bring it.” Minhyuk gave him a pout. Arian raised an eyebrow, the cab driver already pressed on the meter but didn’t rolled yet.

“I did but it’s waiting for me at home.” Arian just said confused.

“I want my dinner treat now.  You promised me beef.” Minhyuk tapped the driver and gave Arian’s street. “I saw the street address on your profile before.” He just shrugged knowing already she’ll ask it.

Arian puffed. Is this for real? The person she wants to avoid the most will be coming home with her, to eat beef casserole, at her place, on Christmas eve… at her effin-place. “It’s Christmas, Minhyuk.”

Minhyuk blinked at her, “It’s just another usual night.”

Arian gets it. “Don’t use my words against me.” She frowned, “Are you pitying me or something? Because if you are, I don’t need it.” It was frustration that made her pitched her voice a little. The universe is playing with me. Really.

“Hey, chill!” Minhyuk raised his hands up, “I just honestly want that beef casserole. If I’m pitying you I would have dragged you back in the bar.”

Arian took a minute to really believe him. “Fine.” She said, “Just don’t bother me watching the live stream.”

Minhyuk nodded, “Well, I heard 4Minute’s performing on that show too ~ I need to see those bumps you know.”

“Aish.” Arian shook his head.

“I’m just an honest fanboy.” Minhyuk tried for an innocent look but they were laughing hard when the driver took a sharp turn and Minhyuk bumped his hard on the window.

 

*

 

Visitors were nothing new, people crashing in her place, invited or uninvited ~ she’s use to that. ..well, the only difference with the ‘now’ was having her crush over. It is a freaking big deal. At midnight. On Christmas Eve.

She tried to picture her room when she left it. There were a few more utensils to wash, her center table already pushed near the sofa where pillows and a blanket were already plopped on, the surround speakers were already connected on her laptop that sat on the table, and yeah, her big stuff duck waiting on one of her couches. No clothes or garments scattered… well, she cleaned her bathroom. What else? Her Korean idol posters are all in her bedroom wall. Good.

“Yah! It’s cold!” Minhyuk jumped while balancing the bags in his hands.

“Have you told the boss where you at right now?” She looked at him and Minhyuk nodded vigourously, nose already red from the cold. Arian was stalling on opening her door but let him in first as soon as she opened it.

Minhyuk went straight to her small dining table and placed the bags on it and took off his coat. “Nice place.” He grinned then and looked at the stuffed-duck toy, “Nice companion.” He walked towards the couch and hugged the duck while comfortably sat back. I’m never gonna wash that again.

 “Thanks.” Arian smiled. She checked the pot on the stove and the fire to heat it. “Just make yourself comfortable while I stir us some food, or better yet, make yourself useful and set up the laptop. The streaming link is on the desktop.”

“But I’m a guest.” Minhyuk pouted, trying to copy the duck’s face, looking at it, then pouting back at her. Arian just wants to squeeze those cheeks. Cute. Cute. Cute.

“Well, the beef casserole can wait till the show ends.” Arian shrugged and walked towards the laptop, secretly smiling. “I guess an hour or more won’t hurt.”

“YAH! We can’t make food wait!” Minhyuk advances on the edge of the sofa, still pouting, playing a cute game. ”It’s a golden rule!”

“I’m sorry?” Arian just blinked trying to hide her laugh. “My house, my rules?”

Minhyuk then grinned. “I know right?!” He said, trying to copy Arian’s voice and pulled her to move far from the laptop so he can work on it.

Arian the really laughed hard and checked on the food, which smells really good. She made some quick corn sidings and prepared them hot tea to help digest the meat after.

She felt comfortable having Minhyuk around, although it should be awkward on her part since he’s her crush. It’s one sided. She reminded herself and chose to just enjoy his company.

They were done ten minutes before midnight and they were on each side of the sofa, a mini-table in between them for their food, the pot of beef casserole on the side table. Minhyuk moved the laptop nearer and arranged the speakers to make it feel more like a theater.

“Perfect.” Minhyuk grinned, having another mouthful of his casserole. “Everything is just perfect.”

Arian nodded but shut . This is perfect. The closeness. Everything. She just ate more of the corn and acted like she’s interested on the ads playing right now.

“You’re not really coming home for Christmas?” Arian can’t help but asked all of a sudden. She knew the reasons of the other staffs but she does not know Minhyuk’s reason yet.

“They’re on a cruise.” Minhyuk shrugged. “I have sea sickness.” Arian just nodded.

“You really love Super Junior, huh?” He then asked, scooping more beef.

“Yes.” Arian didn’t hesitate answering.

“Can I ask why?” Minhyuk stopped eating and looked ate her curiously, tilting his head a little to the side.

“It’s because of the people I met in the fandom.” Arian answered, “I love SJ’s music, their life dramas and all. But nothing beats the friends I met along the way of being a fan. If I haven't met them, I could have been supporting other bands right now. I don’t know.”

“They’re like family?” He asked and Arian nodded.

“Just like you guys in the bar.” She sighed, “I haven’t done any kind of hard labor like that but I enjoyed it very much because the people made me feel welcome. I’m always looking forward to my shift. It was just a good thing we were able to resolve the “anti-fan” issue.”

“Sorry about that.” He sighed. “It was awesome having you too. I mean, not a lot could keep up with my attitude and I’m thankful for you showing me things I thought I’ve lost already”

“Like what?” She was about to add,  I did?

“Oh you know. “ Minhyuk  avoided looking at her. “To trust and let go.” And some more words he mumbled by eating a big piece of meat.

Arian felt herself blushing. “You did it yourself.”

“You were the trailblazer…something like that.” Minhyuk gave her a soft lip smile, his eyes emitting warmness.

“I’m glad to be of help.” Arian gave him the same smile. She didn’t know she made a break through to him although they only knew each other for a few weeks. Is that what Andrea meant when she said Minhyuk’s fond of her already?

Minhyuk, the one who always make her confused. The guy she thought she’d never like but wanted to take care. The one who made her giddy and looked forward for work. Minhyuk, her own unpredictable guy. I’ll miss him…so much.

The advertisements’ then stopped and the familiar opening music of the show started playing. They both shifted comfortably to face the laptop, putting the mini-table on the floor and holding their own bowl.

“Merry Christmas!” They both greeted at the same time and reached for their drinks for a toast.

“Hey, Minhyuk.” Arian faced him then, really itching to ask, “Who’s your new girl?”

Minhyuk gave him a serious look before smirking, “I’ll tell you on New Year’s eve.”

Arian was to protest but Super Junior started their performance.

 

***

 

A/N: second to the last.