Chapter 3

Part-Time, Over-qualified

 

Arian was debating with her reflection on the mirror whether to wrap the gift or not.  She was done considering not to be anonymous about it. It’s stupid that way. It’s just an appreciation gift anyway, innocent.  She just passed by an old bookstore and happened to see the awesome-leathered covered notebook on sale and bought it, of course, Minhyuk in her mind. She didn’t see anything wrong with that, giving something for a new found friend.

A friend out of an enemy. Yes.

“Damn.” She just laughed, feeling like a highschool girl who mustered up all her courage to give a love letter to her crush. “Damn.” She repeated loudly.

She grabbed her bag and checked the notebook carefully wrapped in a brown paper bag, she can smell the leathery-scent of it and sighed. She wasn’t able to sleep good last night because of it. It shouldn’t be a big deal but it does feel that way.

Probably because they already cleared out the air of awkwardness between them last Saturday when Minhyuk forced her to get her sprained foot checked up? He literally dragged her out the bus and into the emergency room to have her sore foot checked.  Good thing, it was all about painkillers and rest only. Minhyuk also paid for the hospital bill and treated her breakfast after, where they were able to talk. Talked about the food, the weather, the cat on the street...anything not related to their personal life. Which was fine because they weren't on a date.

Whatever. Arian thought as she grabs her house keys and locked the door behind her. I’ll just give this however.

**

As soon as Arian stepped out from the employee’s locker room, their manager was all over her – or her foot. Andrea asked her to move it around and even checked the other parts of her body, for anything – bruises or scars, Hold up! Ain’t she over-reacting?

“I’m good! Hey!” She jumped when Andrea tried to pull her foot up, unbalancing her.

“That’s why I hate fangirls.” She got her equilibrium back as Andrea scoffed, backing from her. “Minhyuk already gave me their pictures, I have a now a very valid reason to ban them here.”

Arian just nodded, not knowing what to feel. She’s glad she won’t be seeing their faces in the bar but that makes them lose customers which was not her fault, technically? But she’s still the reason or…

“Yo.” Andrea snapped her out her thoughts, “Don’t think it’s your fault. We all had our share of Minhyuk-incidents.”

“Minhyuk incidents?” Arian smirked.

“You know…” Andrea just shrugged, “Being bullied by them fangirls.” Arian winced at the spite sound of the word ‘fangirl’ but didn’t show it. She’s  surprised that Andrea was even ‘bullied’ because of Minhyuk. Them being close friends, well, most likely.

“What happened?” Arian asked, curios and very much would like to compare.

“The manager here before was power-tripping ‘cause, hmm, her verbatim, you’re too close to Heota!” Andrea said with funny shrieking voice, “I can handle the verbal abuse because of the pay but it was way out of line when she became physical.”

Arian didn’t say anything, watching her boss close her eyes and smile a little.

“Minhyuk learned about it. I resigned, he followed. He bridged a contract back then for he was a regular performer here. We paid him out, struggled. But we’re right back where we belong, I guess?” Andrea continued to smile.

Struggled? Together? Huh? It’s not much info but Arian’s head can’t take it in. “Oh, so, where’s that manager?”

“Divorced. Somewhere.” Andrea shrugged. “Dunno.”

Arian then can’t help but laugh, realizing something.

“What?!”

“You sounded so Minhyuk, on how you tell a story, I mean.” Arian explained still laughing. “I was able to talk with him last Saturday after our little trip at the hospital.”

“Living with him for years did this.” Andrea laughed with her, then straightened up. “We need to go out there now, quite a lot to do for next week’s event. Just radio me if you feel uncomfortable because of that foot, I’ll let you do paperworks.”

“Please, no paperworks!” Arian protested but nodded when Andrea gave her a stern look. “Okay.” And before they were out, she stopped her boss and asked away.

“Are you and Minhyuk together-together?” She asked carefully and received a weird stare, a tight face, and a creeped-out sound.

“It’s like dating your own brother~ewwww….” Andrea brushed the goosebumps in her arms, “We lived together, he still crashes at my place but really, he’s just a brother.”

Arian raised her hands, “Just asking.” and clearing, and being at peace with that topic.

Andrea raised an eyebrow but nodded, signaling her that they should be really out. She followed her, smiling secretly at the small chat that just took place.

**

It was a busy night and there’s this feel in the air she can’t figure out. A kind of viral excitement but still a mystery.

Obviously, Des and Kat were made aware of what happened to her and she’s got look out on the floor. Des would help her carry a tray or two while Kat panicked when she accidentally bumped a knee on a high chair. It took a lot of convincing she’s okay. Arian sincerely appreciates the concern but she’s no child. They only let loose when she asked them not to worry during their break time. She did some wacky –ducky dance just to prove it, and that did it.

Minhyuk was there early, doing PR duties. He won’t be performing for the night since the bar was booked as a special venue for a jazz band from Japan. He’s handling mainly the VIPs  and he really looks cool in jeans but with a black suite-jacket on.

Arian can’t help but stare. Too much.

“He’s really good looking, right?” Kat bounced beside her. “Don’t stare much or you’ll drool.”

“I’m not~” She unconsciously wiped the sides of , Kat laughing teasingly at her. “I admit he looks good but yeah…”

“He does.” Kat nods, “And Heota-oppa is a good host too.”

They observed him talking with a couple of elderly ladies, smiling down at them. And the effect of that small tilt of his mouth was outrageous as if the women talking to him melted in their seats.

“He can sell all of the units in a condominium establishment.” Arian said as she laughed harder.

“But he won’t be happy.” Kat said laughing with her, “Well, if they want a rapping sales agent, why not.”

And as if he’s always on queue, Minhyuk looked towards them and nodded. Kat waved happily while Arian felt embarrassed but gave a small nod in response.

What’s wrong with me?

She then remembered about her small gift, should she give it now? Weird. During lunch? Don’t want to explain. Randomly? More weirder. Never? An option.

Right timing. She decided but why does she have butterflies in her stomach.

**

Minhyuk caught her up during her 30 minute break. She didn’t have her bag with her so she didn’t bother mentioning the notebook-thing.

“How’s the foot?” Minhyuk asked, a Zombie-drink in hand. He sat beside her on the stairs behind the bar and looked at her packed food.

“Foot’s okay?” She answered and offered her bite-sized clubhouse cuts, “Tuna and eggs, you want?”

Minhyuk took one and popped it in his mouth. “Tasty~”

Arian smiled. “So, how’s the guests?” Lame start of conversation.

“They’re good.” He answered with a shrug, “We had the jazz band here last year, so pretty much, we have the same crowd.” He stretched his hands upward then took another piece of her lunch. “It’s just good to not be performing sometimes.”

“But you love performing.” Arian said without thinking.

“I do, no doubt.” Minhyuk took her lunch box, finishing the few pieces left. Arian watched him eat, surprised but happy. “But lately I’m not that inspired and needs to recharge my creativity. So yeah, no need to perform stuffs over and over again.”

Arian nodded, he made sense. What inspires you then? What do you want? Lemme help you? She needed to bite her lower lip before those questions comes out. She mentally slaps herself to wake up.

“I get you. “ She said instead. “I mean, I love being assigned to provincial tours instead of my weekly city tours.”

Minhyuk gave her a confused look before mouthing an ‘Ah’, “You a tour guide?”

Arian nodded again, she’s not really keeping it a secret.

“That’s so cool.” Minhyuk grinned, giving her back the emptied box. “I love to travel, so, wow.”

“You do?” Arian grinned as well, you can be in my bus. “You can check out our agency and I can give you discounts.”

“Sounds cool.” Minhyuk smiled, “I’ll look forward to that offer.” He stood up and offered a hand to help her up. He pulled her with ease and Arian felt a small dismay when they parted hands. “Let’s go in.”

Arian watched his back going in and smiled, inspiration. Maybe her gift would help him to find it. Just maybe. Minhyuk looked back and smiled, signaling her to hurry, she walked towards the open door as he held it.

I just need the right-timing to give it.

**

They had a post-shift huddle, an important one according to Andrea. Des and Kat were keyed up about it and so were the other employees. She’s the only one out the loop most of the time since she’s a part-timer. She didn’t mind staying, it’s a Sunday anyway and they got free cakes. She already have her bag though, ready to go right after the meeting and catch up on her SJ-feeds from the world wide web.

Andrea and Minhyuk then went up the now cleared stage and sat on the edge of it. Andrea took the mic and they whispered a bit more, laughing.

“We’ll make this quick.” Andrea started, “We’re on for next week!” And then there were loud cheers.

Arian’s still lost. “What’s happening?” She asked no one in particular.

“Heota-oppa’s birthday concert!” Kat clapped excitedly.  “This is going to be so much fun!”

Birthday. Oh. Arian looked up and Minhyuk was laughing with the guys upfront cheering on him. Why a big deal? She raised an eyebrow and looked at Des.

“Well,” Des said and scooted near her. “Minhyuk’s  birthday concert brings more tip money, gifts, and popular people in the club. But we’re more excited on the gifts he’ll be receiving.” Des and Kat then squealed with delight.

“What kind of gifts?” Arian asked over the loud chattering.

“Cakes, sweets, shirts~” Des said nonchalantly, “The usual fangirl gifts, we get some of the stuffs. BUT that’s a secret!”

Fangirl gifts. What she usually gives to her Super Junior boys. Right.

“And Heota-oppa’s birthday party is just way, way fun.” Kat continued, “I attended his birthday party here last year and Eunkwang-oppa performed with him. Lots of performers actually.”

“Like the ones I already met?” She asked Des, remembering the first time she met Minhyuk.

“Yep.” Des nodded, “And more. Some of his friends are trainees from entertainment companies and some are already famous.”

Wow.

Andrea then asked for their attention, “I’ll send the rundown and what-not on your emails, just brace yourself because it’s going to be extra wild this year!” Andrea exclaimed and dismissed them.

“This is going to be just awesome.” Kat chattered. “Heota-oppa usually releases his new songs on his birthdays and him performing with his old group would also be a blast. I hope they can come this year…”

Blah, blah, blah… Arian tried to absorb all the information she can get for Minhyuk’s birthday but her mind just keeps on replaying his words, “I’m not that inspired” …she hopes he is by next Saturday.

Arian was ready to go out, Des and Kat were already waiting outside. She just needed to double check and fish out her house keys from the bottom of her bag for less hassle. She finally got it but somebody accidentally bumped her and the contents of her bag spilled. She grunted as she picks up her stuffs and pushed it inside her bag. Somebody then kneeled to help her.

“Nice notebook.” Minhyuk was looking at it to her and back. The brown paper bag tore in two and the black leather notebook popping out. He handed it back to her.

But she didn’t take it, instead she breathed and quickly said, “It’s yours.”

“Huh?” He said a bit surprised.

“It’s for y-you.” She then stuttered. It’s his eyes, it did an effect on her. “I mean, a thank you gift. I didn’t know it’s your birthday next week, I should have just gave it to you then. I bought it on a sale, so not a big deal and~”

And was crushed into a musky smelling suit and mighty biceps around her body. Oh, a hug. She’s not expecting it ~ a freaking hug! Hug! Hug! Hug!

Minhyuk then released him, arms length. His smile reaching ear to ear, eyes sparkling. “Thank you, noona. Thank you…Arian.” He hugged her again.

It was that cliché. An uncontrollable cliché. A thump in the heart, a breathe taken, mind whirling…oh no.

I got a crush on Minhyuk.

 

TBC

 

A/N: NO PROOF READ..TOO EXCITED TO POST AND LET YOU READ IT!CAN U PROOFREAD FOR ME? WORK SCHED IS A PAIN. LOVE LOTS CHINGU