Chapter 4

Part-Time, Over-qualified

 

Arian was way behind her Super Junior feeds. As much as possible, she doesn’t want to miss an update but her week had been all about Minhyuk. Aside from some “sleepless” nights and day dreaming about him, she‘s been helping in the preparation for his mini-birthday concert. Although she’s a part timer, she was given the responsibility of the organizing and handling the VIPs. Basically, their manager needed the help and didn’t want Des again because she tends to be star-strucked with Minhyuk’s friends.

 

Arian’s aware that Minhyuk got some famous friends but really only believe it when a couple of popular idols visited their bar and practiced their performance with him. Oh yeah.

 

She knows she’s got that sheepish smile every time she sees him. Especially now that they’re cool, Minhyuk would often smile at her or give her a high-five if within reach, and THAT causes her heart to flutter, head buzzing, blush…and the usual of a ‘girl-in-an-infatuation’ mode. She didn’t mind even though she’s tired in between her 2 jobs, for seeing Minhyuk mostly makes it all worth it.

 

She was able to suggest a few points on how the audience area should be lay out. It made it easier for crowd control and Minhyuk was happy that he can come down the stage and still not be flocked down. Arian was also able to convince some sponsors by giving them huge company discounts from the travel agency.

 

And if Arian got a major contribution for his birthday preparation, that would be the ticket/token that would be given to the guests. It’s an ‘M-winged’ necklace that differs in color as to code the people in the venue. It would serve as the entry pass and a remembrance, and would save them more money.

 

“It’s just a suggestion.” She said as the others were looked at her in one of their meetings, “I mean I have a contact to do that and it will save us money-”

 

“It’s an awesome idea, it will fit the theme.” Minhyuk then smiled at her and gently tapped the top of her head. “Small but smart.” He teased or maybe trying for a compliment.

 

“Says the tall guy.” Arian countered without thinking, rolling her eyes for an effect. Minhyuk crossed his arms on his chest, eyebrows meeting in between. She was supposed to be scared but he didn’t give that kind of aura, instead he smirked as the others hooted on the teasing.

 

“Yeah, yeah.” Minhyuk sighed, “Andrea loves hiring midgets.”

 

“YAH!” With that Kat reacted first and more protesting, teasing followed.

 

*

 

She came in Friday night, technically the Saturday morning for some last minute changes on the program. The stage was already being set-up because they’d be expecting some soundchecks and quick rehearsals hours before the show.

 

“Wow, amazing…” Arian expressed as she stares at the stage. The theme was all about being futuristic and the light display made it perfect. Band instruments were also being set up on the left side as turntables on the right. One would think it’s really going to be a special concert from an idol, well, Minhyuk’s almost on that level and he’s special for her.

 

“Thank you everyone for coming and staying.” Andrea raised her bottle of beer. They just finished the final touches and decided to just get a round of preferred drinks. “I know it’s such a short notice, thanks to Minhyuk being so indecisive, but I got good vibes we’re pulling this one off superbly.”

 

“Sorry?” Minhyuk said cutely and raised his own glass as well. “Thanks everyone for helping out. I promise I’ll give you all a share of the gifts ~ just leave the clothes to me.” Everyone laughed.

 

“We’ll just have the final, final checklist later but imma take care of that. Just take a rest with the few hours we have in between and I’ll see you all 5PM.” Andrea said and everyone took a sip of their drinks before falling in to their own little groups.

 

Kat then offered shots of something muddy and grayish.  Arian and Des quickly downed theirs, Andrea and Minhyuk tossing before drinking their share.

 

“What do you think?” Kat asked too excitedly, “Got that new on the menu later, a special for Heota-oppa’s birthday only.”

 

“Syrupy?” Des her lips, “But addicting. Not too strong but got a kick.”

 

“Wooooh.” Minhyuk smiled, “Another critique from our Des, baby!”

 

“Thank you.” Des bowed. “Seriously, it’s good.”

 

Kat’s smile widens. “Eunkwang-oppa said that too.” Des blushed as they laughed.

 

“I’m certainly going to miss these free drinks.” Arian then said nonchalantly. Sometimes she hates herself for taking too out loud.

 

“You’re able to save the money needed?” Andrea then leaned on the table smiling at her.

 

Arian nodded and smiled shyly. “I’m really about to give you a heads up on it. I have the amount I need, and more, actually. But as much as I want to stay longer, my day job requires me full time for provincial tours. Sorry.”

 

“No need to be sorry.” Their manager sighed, “And I appreciate the heads up. I’m just curious though, what do you need the money for?”

 

“A concert.”

 

“Who?”

 

Arian blushed, “Super Junior.” She said too quick, not that she’s embarrassed about being an E.L.F, its just that the situations about being a fangirl was quite an issue for the past weeks. And she’s right.

 

“Ah, fangirl.” Minhyuk said with a poker face and took another sip from his glass. But the others just smiled, nodding. Kat was different though, she was grinning.

 

“Is it that expensive?” Andrea asked.

 

“Kinda. But I just wanted the best seat since they’re my major fandom. It’s not like everyday I get to see them perform live.” Arian answered, taking glimpses at Minhyuk who was just busy playing on the contents of his drink. His aura did definitely change.

 

“Well, wow on that!” Des exclaimed and raised her new shot of the syrupy drink. “Working to spend on them, ain’t that something.”

 

“Well, I have no responsibilities and I’m happy.” Arian said. Minhyuk then stood up and walked towards the table of the audio team. Oh well.

 

“Just so you know, you’re always welcome to drop by anytime.” Andrea then said, “Welcome to help around too!”

 

“Thank you.” She bowed a little, feeling the warmth of her co-workers. “And just so you know you’re all welcome to book a city tour and I’m gonna give huge discounts.”

 

Andrea did the loudest cheer, they had a talk before about giving the employees a good-day off treat. Arian’s got the mixed-emotion, she’s happy that she already have more than enough for Super Junior’s concert but sad that she’d be leaving her new ‘nocturnal’ family soon. But it’s great for her to know that she can crash at them anytime. She smells a long lasting friendship with them all…and hopefully with Minhyuk too.

 

“So, Arian…unnie.” Kat plopped on the seat beside her, “Super Junior…I already have my VIP seat ticket for that, what’s yours?”

 

True to a fangirl’s reaction, both of them were spazzing and shouting, making the people around them shake their heads while laughing.

 

*

 

Jam-packed.

 

More people were outside the doors, hoping to get in, but the tickets were all sold out and as pre-cautionary, Andrea didn’t let them in. They set-up a mini projector-screen outside to give them a chance to see what’s happening.  More bouncers were deployed as soon as more of Minhyuk’s idol-friends came in.

 

The bar was just perfect…the lights play with the music, the people, the drinks, all were flowing smoothly. Arian was assigned to assist the VIPs and performers, while Des handles the insistent fans by the door.  They all got their specific task, and Arian was way, way enjoying hers so much.

 

But as much as all the celebrities star-struck her, she wanted to find Minhyuk. She was told that he’s still prepping up. Sigh, I wanted to greet him. Funny thing about their work, they do forget the date and when they were to come home earlier, Andrea took out a small cake and slammed it to Minhyuk’s face as a greeting. Obviously, Minhyuk’s familiar with his friend’s tactics and quickly embraced the nearest person and rub his caked face to them. Arian wanted to volunteer herself but it would be too obvious since she’s safely behind the bar. Another sigh~

 

“Excuse me?” A girl tapped on her arms, “Hi, I’m Jenny. I need to find my brother Peniel.” She smiled sweetly and showed a VIP pass. Arian bowed and checked her name first on the list, comparing it on the pass and gave her the ticket/necklace.  She personally led her to the VIP area and called Peniel from the backstage room. Arian likes the kid for being nice to her, even from the very start when Minhyuk was ranting at her.

 

Peniel  thanked Arian as soon as he was out the door and hugged the petite girl in front of them. “Noona! Finally! How was your flight?”

 

“Not bad.” She smiled and hugged her brother back. “I dropped my stuffs at the hotel and gone straight here. Where’s the birthday boy?”

 

“Prepping-up, I guess. He’s so excited for tonight.” Peniel grinned, “Let’s go in. Thanks Arian-unnie.” They both bowed at her and went back in the room.

 

Wow, she’s really cute. Arian thought. Well, most of Minhyuk’s friends were all good-looking. For a second, Arian felt so self-conscious in her high-heeled stilettos and short dress. Well, she looks nice with the make-up and let-down hair but that’s not her usual.  Not comfortable, especially the shoes, it’s killing her.

 

Andrea didn’t really require her to wear it all day, right? She decided to get a quick change to some flat sandals and probably just hide her stilettos by the bar for an easy change. She first grabbed a bottled water to quench her thirst and hurried to Andrea’s room, trying to get rid of the straps even when she was just entering the door. She shouldn’t really trust herself when it comes to her equilibrium, her face loves meeting the floor.

 

But she was saved, a strong arm around her stomach and another to support her shoulders. Whew. It was that musky smell again and familiar feel of skin. Oh oh.

 

“Yah, babo.” Minhyuk laughed too close to her ears. Bad. He helped her up and didn’t let go, “You okay?”

 

She just wishes she’s not drooling or mouth hanging opened.  Minhyuk was looking at her with his eye-lined eyes, v-necked shirt too low for her to feast on his chest.  “Thanks.” She managed to say.

 

“Why are you battling with your shoes?” Minhyuk led her to a chair as she skips with one foot. “Oh, those are mean pairs.”

 

“I know right.” Arian still struggling to take off the other shoe, “But Andrea was right that I needed these to face the VIPs…I mean I need to level with them in terms of height.” She chuckled.

 

And if she can even stop getting any redder and tell her naughty heart not to beat fast she would. Minhyuk indian-seated on the floor and took her foot on his lap, carefully unlocking the straps for her, and finally taking it off.

 

“There you go.” He held it up with an eye smile, “I don’t think you need height with that kind of confidence you got.”

 

“S-same as you?” She should dig her way out now, “I mean, your confidence, you don’t need insoles, or to be tall- I don’t even understand me now.” Blaming you and that smile for me being incoherent.

 

Minhyuk laughed harder, “You’re really funny noona.” He gently placed her foot down and sat beside her with another chair. “But I get you. Go midgets?!”

 

“Go?!” They grinned at each other. “Thank God, I got these off.” She massaged her feet, “So, are you ready?”

 

He continued grinning and nodded, “I’m always excited, ready or not. And I’m just thankful that most of my friends are performing with me tonight.”

 

“Glad to hear.” She simply said. She can see how excited he really is and more than eager to see him perform. “Well, I hope you’re inspired. Your creativity thing is back.”

 

“Mosdef. “ Minhyuk nodded, “Thanks to your gift I get to write all the jumbled words in my head. I was able to write more than a couple of songs and I might just perform some later.”

 

My poor heart. “I-I’m glad…and so, happy birthday!”

 

“Thanks.” Now she can’t see his eyes for it was smiling. “And for the notebook, I really appreciate it.”

 

“Welcome.” And there were crickets. Minhyuk broke the silence by taking her bottled water and took a drink.

 

“I’m thirsty.” He gave the bottle back at her, almost emptied. “Sorry.”

 

“You really have a habit of taking others food, huh?” Arian said, staring at the bottle. A secret smile forming, my bottle.

 

“Yep.” Minhyuk sniggered.

 

“Hyung!” Peniel then came in loudly followed by the petite girl. “Here’s my surprise gift!”

 

Minhyuk shot up from his seat, shock all over his face and a blush, and a really, really wide grin. “Jenny-noona.” He took wide steps and gave her a hug.

 

“How are you kiddo?” Jenny patted his back, “Peniel made me rebooked my flight a day earlier so I can come here for you birthday.”

 

“I’m good. So good.” He let go of her but held her hands in between his. “I’m glad you’re here.Best birthday gift ever. ” He quickly looked at Peniel and gave him a smile as well.

 

“Me too.” She smiled back up at him, “So, are you gonna perform or not?”

 

“Not in half an hour.” Minhyuk placed an arm around her shoulder, “Let’s go, Andrea should see you too.” She just nodded. Peniel was already outside the door and Minhyuk was leading her out. He stopped and looked back at Arian, who was blinking up at the scene that just happened.

 

“Let’s go, noona.” His smile was viral.

 

“You guys go ahead.” Arian smiled up at him too, “I’ll follow.”

 

“Okay.” Minhyuk gave her a thumbs-up, “I’ll see you out there. Have fun!” And he was out.

 

“I’ll try.” Arian didn’t like what she feels. He’s not hers and this was just infatuation. No way was she that jealous. Right?

 

*