Chapter 7

Part-Time, Over-qualified

 

Arian stopped worrying about aging when she was, well, she doesn’t really care. Age is just numbers – and she still looks young. See, she never really hated her height.

Her day-job officemates already surprised her with a dinner-party, her boss thankful for bringing more clients, thanks to Minhyuk’s birthday sponsors. They had some meat and alcoholic drinks and even decided to go in a noreabang after, staying till five in the morning.

And coming in for work that evening was a bit of a torture.

Hangover already treated by some soup and medicine but she can still feel herself burping and she just wants to sleep. But remembering Minhyuk’s promise about the song he composed made her move and come to work.

She had already informed their boss weeks ago that she might not come in today for her family would be visiting her till Christmas. That was why her mind set was to stay in bed and watch all the videos about her idols that she had missed. Thankfully, her parents decided to travel within the Christmas week and she doesn’t have to make a reason for being in the bar when she was given the time off.

“Hey, you okay?” Des asked while they were having their long break at the back of the bar. They had a set-up tent for the employees who wanted to be out the building for some quiet time.

Arian was already dozing off and hasn’t touched her packed lunch yet.  She opened an eye and forced a smile, “Yeah, I just had some fun with my officemates last night. Had a bit too much of a drink.” She sat up straight and started digging in her sandwich and fish.

“Still groggy?” Des laughed, “Yeah, you’ve been wobbly all night. Why don’t you just stay at the back or in the office?”

Arian grunted, “That’s okay. Andrea will make me do the endless paper works or inventory, I don’t have the mind to do it.”

“Mind and energy.” Des said, “You’re like a zombie.”

“I know right.” Arian sighed. 

“Why don’t you take the rest of the time off? I mean we can handle tonight and you’re a part-timer so that’s okay.” Des continued eating her almost done lunch.

“Nah, I can still go for it.” Arian shook her head, “I’ll just have to drink few more cups of coffee. I used to be awake 24 hours just to see Super Junior, I can do this.” What’s a few more hours to hear Minhyuk again?

“That’s some motivation.” Des agreed, “And I think Minhyuk’s gonna play his new song tonight. I see him practicing almost every night here.”

That snapped Arian awake, “Oh?” She nonchalantly said, secretly smiling.  “Where is he by the way?”

“He’s on by one, he could already be in there.” Des answered, “And go finish that lunch quickly, I’ll go in first and make you some coffee.”

Arian just nodded as Des waved and walked in the bar. Arian smiled and finished her food as fast as she could. She can’t explain the excitement and she just can’t wait to hear the song. The best gift she’d receive for her birthday.

*

Minhyuk caught up with her when she brought the drinks at the backstage. He was with his highschool friends that she already met on his birthday party. They were playing tonight and had most of their higschool friends in the audience.

“Happy birthday.” Minhyuk whispered and asked her to sit beside him first on the couch.

“Thanks.” Arian smiled, “You ready for your promise?”

Minhyuk nodded, “You ready treating me for a meal?”

“Anytime.” Arian confidently said.

Minhyuk smiled and handed her a paperbag. “I don’t really know what to give but here was the phone you were supposed to have when I lost the drinking contest.”

“No need.” She pushed it back, “It was for fun.”

“Take it.” Minhyuk pushed it back to her and finally placed it on her hands, “I have a couple more.”

“Aish.” Arian took it, arrogant boy. That’s one of his charms really.

“Go ahead, open it.” Minhyuk said a bit excitedly.

“It’s an iPhone.” Arian raised an eyebrow, not moving her hands.

“I know.” Minhyuk gave a frustrated sigh, “I had it customized, palli palli, look at it.”

Arian kept up with him and pulled out the box and opened it.  The white covered phone looked normal but not until Arian pressed a button and the wallpaper was Super Junior. Minhyuk urged him to explore and even tapped the screen.

It was almost a minute of gaping and she was lost in her own world when she saw a video greeting of some of the members of the idol group greeting her.

*

Arian was now a ball of energy –mind over body. She’s all pumped up because of the video greeting and the fact that Minhyuk’s going to play his new song.

Minhyuk said he had asked a few favors from his friends in the entertainment industry to get her idols greet her. It was his way to thank her for the things she had done although they started in the wrong foot and haven’t known each other for too long. Arian really appreciated the thought and effort – and that made her fall for him more.

It was like a class reunion when Minhyuk and his group performed for half the guests were their class and school mates. The highlight was when they performed wearing their highschool uniforms and sang the cheesy songs they composed back then.

Minhyuk was in his casual clothes when he came back up for an encore, while another person was behind him manning the turn table.

“I wasn’t able to perform some of my new compositions last time.” Minhyuk started, “So, I’m sharing one with ya’ll tonight. I had a lot of revisions for this but I think this is more than perfect now. Thank you for helping me get this creative juices back. And I hope ya’ll like it.”

It started with a few piano keys and a light high beat followed. Arian was already by the office door for she was called by their boss but she can wait, Arian would not miss this.

“Yo, this is song for you.” Minhyuk started and added, “Happy birthday.” before he went on with his rapping.

Arian loved it. Loved every word, every bit and even the man singing. The song was barely three minutes but she’s still floating in cloud nine only to be brought back to reality by Andrea’s voice.

“I know you’re still in a trance but I really need your help with this computation.” Andrea pleaded and just laughed. She gave two-thumbs up when Minhyuk saw her and she waved before coming in the office.

*

Arian can already feel the tiredness to her bones but she’s still smiling endlessly. And she’s just excited to meet her bed and drift off to sleep for a day.  She wasn’t able to see Minhyuk after his set since she was locked in the room calculating the month’s bills. She just wanted to thank and comment about the song he wrote. It was really good ~ and yes, she’s claiming it as hers.

“Arian, can you come in here for a minute?” Andrea called from her office when she was about to get out the door. The rest of the crew were already gone.  “I think there’s a mistake with one of your computation for our bills this month, can you double check it?”

“Really? Sorry!” Arian apologized, concerned and nervous about it. She’s scared when it comes to money, a single error can ruin the business. She quickly went inside the room, mind buzzing with numbers and what –

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!”

The small office was jampacked with some of her closest work mates and there was already a cake lit with candles. Des and Kat were holding bottles and glasses and Andrea pushed her more inside the room.

“Hey, I didn’t tell!” Minhyuk was the first one to approach and give her a one-arm hug. “The boss keeps tag on her employees, you know.”

Arian was grinning wide, liking the fact that Minhyuk’s arm was still around her shoulders as she accepts gifts and greetings from everyone. She was led in the middle of the room, carrying boxes, holding paper bags, and a bouquet. Minhyuk already let her go and was already snapping pictures of her.

“Wow, thank you.” She kept on repeating. Finally, Minhyuk helped her set the gifts on the table and she made a quick wish, looking sideways at him before blowing the candle. “Thanks everyone.”

“I know you’re really tired but we just had to give you this party.” Andrea said, “You deserve the acknowledgement for making my life easier with the paper works and Minhyuk!”

They all laughed and started handing drinks but Arian only got an iced tea. She was trying her best not to cry while hugging everyone around her. She knew they’re going to cake her face but she got them first by saying she loves the flavor too much to ruin it.

“So, when are you treating me out for a meal?” Minhyuk was then beside her, getting bites of the cake from her own plate.

“Let me sleep this weekend first then we can talk about it.” Arian answered laughing as she took bites of the cake from his plate just to .

“I want beef.” Minhyuk nodded like a kid.

“Fine.” Arian nodded too.

“Heota-oppa!!!” Kat was at front of them and took a shot when they faced her, “Perfect!” She just grinned and kept her camera away. “Hey, kudos to the new song. It’s really refreshing oppa.”

“Thanks.” He scratched his head, smiling down at his number one fan.

“It seemed like you are really inspired.” Kat continued, “I mean, this is one of my favorites now. It gives positive vibes you know.”

“Yes, I’m inspired.” Minhyuk said, “Thanks to a certain someone who led me to think positively.”

“Well, I’d like to meet that person and thank him or her!” Kat said and turned back when she was called by Des for more drinks.

Minhyuk had been the topic for the night anyway, he’s love story was basically an open book within their circle so hearing him singing a positive-lyric song made them wonder if he already met someone.

“Yeah, I’d like to meet that person too.” Arian just said. Just to confirm that pang of jealousy. Is it me? Can’t it be me? Who is that?

Minhyuk blinked a couple of times before grinning widely. “I will introduce you first to her. I’ll call you for that next week. Okay?”

Arian forced a smiled. “Okay.” She can assume things but maybe she was just clouded by her emotions and too much proximity. She sighed…very well, at the least I helped with some things though I wasn’t the inspiration.

Arian calmed her emotions and just tried her best to enjoy the party…keeping a bit distanced from Minhyuk. For only him could make her confused and feel mixed emotions.

***