Chapter 9

Part-Time, Over-qualified

Arian hasn’t seen Minhyuk for a couple of weeks and she honestly, badly misses him. So much.

She still spaces out when she remembers spending Christmas night with him. They enjoyed watching the music show, ate more, and even shared a few stories about their life. She learned how much Minhyuk loves sports, even gymnastics, and he can do a bit of a trick here and there. He’s almost done with his university life, only finishing his thesis. And he’s already getting offers from different recording companies’ right after his birthday but he’s already got a goal. Jen was metioned a few times but everything seemed casual for Minhyuk. Maybe, he had truly let go.

 

Arian was then able to share part of her life living alone, how she got to be a tour guide and a fulltime fangirl. Minhyuk got to reconsider his perspective about fangirls’, well, a bit probably. Seeing how the people that were hurt by his fans were doing okay now and Minhyuk should at least really look into people before judging them.

 

It was a nice night that they ended up sleeping on her couch, taking separate sides, and waking up to get some late lunch in a nearby street stall before separating. And Arian hadn’t heard anything from him after that.

 

She didn’t really need to come the next Saturday for the part-time job and she was occupied with holiday tourists and week-end tours, so she haven’t really heard anything form the club nor from Minhyuk. There was only a one quick reply from her boss: “All good. Take care.”

 

So for the last Saturday of the year, Arian made sure she’d come in for the part time work. She misses the stretch of moving around non-stop and ofcourse the people from the club. She came in early and was able to meet the new crew: a couple of boy part-timers and a full time backdoor girl. She does feel sad for leaving but it’s not practical for her to stay – she’s just glad that she made good friends and another place to hang out.

 

She didn’t have to do much and was only helping on sorting the inventories, caught up updates with Des and Kat and…waited…waited for some more…and more. “Aish!” Arian exclaimed. It’s almost her lunch time but Minhyuk hasn’t showed up yet. Ain’t he coming?

 

Arian joined Andrea purposely at her office and they shared her packed lunch, wishing her boss would tell her Minhyuk’s where about.

 

“You joining us on Monday evening, right?” Andrea grinned at her before fishing another of her infamous sandwich.

 

“We agreed that’s my last night.” Arian answered, “And Minhyuk’s going to perform…I won’t miss it, just to start my year right.”

 

Andrea laughed. “You like him that much” Arian replied with a shrugged. “’m just making sure you’d be with us. Knowing that your idols might have another year-end show and all.”

 

Arian smiled, “I had my fill last Christmas…” and Minhyuk promised to introduce her girl on New Year’s day.

 

Andrea just smirked, “Truth is, we’re just having a closed party for that night. Just us and some more people. Like a house party.”

 

“Oh yeah?” Arian blinked, “But he’s still performing? Right?” Arian didn’t care if they even have a children’s party – just as long as Minhyuk would perform. She won’t go without seeing him perform on her last night as an employee. It needs to be commemorated.

 

“Well-“ Andrea stopped when the door suddenly opened and flushed Minhyuk came in, grinning ear to ear, “Speaking of the devil.”

 

“Yo!” Minhyuk asked and went directly to Andrea who stood up and hugged him tightly. They were then exchanging conversations that got Arian really confused. “You got it right?” –“Yeah.” –“That’s the greatest news ever!” –“Thanks.”

 

Minhyuk then looked at Arian, “Yah, join us here!” He side hugged Andrea and opened his right arm for Arian.

 

“What’s happening?” Arian asked first but instinctively stood up. She stopped right before them and still got a confused look.

 

“I’ll be doing a front act for a big show on new year’s eve.” Minhyuk’s smile was bigger, “You know that show just at the near open grounds from here?”

 

Arian nodded furiously, liking the excitement. “Super Junior’s performing on it too…OMO!” Arian clapped her hands when realization dawned at her.

 

“I’ll be one of the main front acts for that show and I’ll be joining some hip-hop artists throughout the show.  Though not my debut, it’s a breakthrough.” Minhyuk pulled her for a hugged on his other arm and Arian embraced his torso.

 

She can’t explain the joy that she feels for him and it’s just feels right to celebrate it with a hug. “Is that the reason why we’re just having a closed party?”

 

Andrea nodded from Minhyuk’s other side.

 

“You’d be there, right? I mean at the open concert and after party~” Minhyuk asked her directly, a little crease on her forehead, “Well, Super Junior’s gonna be performing…”

 

Arian was looking up at him, “I’ll be there, Minhyuk. SJ or no SJ.” Because your my real-only bias now. With that Minhyuk let go of Andrea and hugged her alone.

 

“Thanks.” Minhyuk just said and showed him his widest smile again.

 

*

 

The night for the concert was just spectacular. The open grounds were filled immediately by endless of fans and they were just thankful to be in an exclusive moshpit for the performer’s guestlist. Though it was as crowded as the other divisions, they were saved from the long lines outside.

 

Arian’s used to this and she just loves the energy of a concert.  Des and Kat were on the barricades, cameras already set-up while Arian and the rest were all at their backs, just protecting them from the crowd. Arian would just squeeze her way in if it were her bias groups, well, Minhyuk’s a given priority on her list.

 

They received a text message from him once saying he was already preparing and he could see a lot of artists. He even had a snapshot of Super Junior for Arian for a tease.

 

Arian can’t believe she’s ending her year as perfect as this. A free concert, with her friends, Super Junior and Minhyuk on stage. It’s like her birthday, Christmas, and all special days in a year gift wrapped in a golden bag with sparkling ribbons on it. There are more exaggerated descriptions but she’d stick with that. All that matters was Minhyuk was the cherry on the top.

 

The concert started a few hours before midnight and the people were all hyped up. There was a series of front acts from different entertainment company and it seemed like Minhyuk was the only independent artist but was the last for the pre-program performances.

 

Arian can’t help but be an in-love fangirl that moment. Taking her digital camera out and recording Minhyuk’s performances. . He sang the song he performed for Arian’s birthday and that made her feel special. She screamed and jumped and sang and was lost in a world of her and Minhyuk on stage only. He was just shining bright as if the stage was only built for him  Minhyuk was back on stage more than five times, getting on as one of the rappers wingman. He just simply belonged. Arian had drained out her camera and phone’s batteries when it was time for Super Junior but that didn’t matter. She enjoyed the show and Kat was able to record the performances anyway.

 

The show ended with an amazing fire work show with all the performers up the stage counting down for New Year. Minhyuk was at the side of the stage where Arian and the rest were and waved at them when the clock 12AM. They were all greeting each other and were even hugging people they don’t know. Arian wasn’t able to really concentrate when Minhyuk was just looking at their direction, not minding the people around him as well. Arian’s not sure but he really looked like looking straight at her. She just smiled and waved at him, he waved back with a sweet smile. He then raised his hands up and made a big heart sign and was just liked that before he was pulled by someone away.

 

Arian was just stuck at her ground, smiling like crazy, enjoying the wonderful start of her New Year.

 

*

 

The crew had already gone back to the bar to prepare for the after-party and Arian was left alone because she was asked for a favor from Andrea. She needed to deliver a box for Minhyuk at the back stage as a congratulatory gift from them. Arian argued that they could all do it later but she was pushed past the back stage gate, with an ID pass around her neck, and she just decided to move forward and look for him in the crowded place.

 

She’s enjoying the scene of course. Idols bumping her shoulder to shoulder, some smiled at her, some were from afar, some she was able to smell…she’s in heaven for fangirls. She silently looked for Minhyuk (and was hoping to see Super Junior but apparently they already left) and finally found his room towards the far right side of the set-up tents.

 

She walked her way towards the area and finally saw her target. He was now in his usual red hoodie and was chatting with some of the rappers Arian could recognize. Just wow. Her heart thumped, excitement all over her. She can’t explain it but at that moment she just wanted to hug him… for whatever reason. It just felt right.

 

She took another step but quickly held back when another girl called him by his real name and gave him a tight hug and smooches on his face. She was petite, pretty, and has a really close resemblance with Jen.

 

Oh.

 

Arian quickly hid behind a bouncer but since she was far she can’t really hear their conversation. BUT actions speak louder than words, Minhyuk was hugging her back tightly and was even calling out everyone near them to meet her. Minhyuk wasn’t letting go of her hand and kept her in a hug and even gave her a peck on the forehead.

 

So, is she the girl Minhyuk would want me to meet? Was she the inspiration? Ouch. Arian had hope but yeah…there was the girl.

 

Arian can feel her tears falling and quickly asked the bouncer to just hand the gift to Minhyuk before she ran out. She felt stupid but she can’t just stop the tears, they were on free will. There were still a lot of people outside and she was just glad no one’s taking a look at her. She was sobbing hard now and she had to stop to wipe her tears. “Aish, Arian-babo.”

 

*

 

Arian can enter directly at the front door but decided to get in through the back door for it was nearer Andrea’s office where she left her bag. She didn’t want to spoil everybody’s night, so she can just sneak out and pretend she’s on a mission on following Super Junior for their after party. They didn’t need to know why she was crying and she didn’t even know how she would explain it.

 

Heartbreak? I thought? My bad?  Incomplete thoughts  were rushing in her mind while flashes of Minhyuk’s smile were playing in his mind. I like him this much? She laughed at herself.

 

Arian was able to get in the office and stayed there to breathe. She was still contemplating whether she would stay and act like she’s high with anti-histamines or go and save herself from more heartaches. For sure, Minhyuk would bring her tonight.

 

She wondered why she didn’t saw it coming. Well, Minhyuk never really talked about her. Maybe, still too cautious about liking a girl and protecting her from the obsessed fans.  Sighs.

 

The thought of leaving had more weight right now, “I miss my rubber ducky.” Arian said out loud and headed for the door with her backpack secured at her back. But before she can even reach for the knob, the door opened and Minhyuk had to pull her up because she was knocked backward by the force.

 

“Whow!” Mihyuk steadied her, “Are you okay?” He pulled her back to check on her and she just nodded avoiding his eyes.

 

Great. Just great.  Arian thought.

 

“No, really. Are you okay?” Minhyuk tried to catch her eyes, his tone more serious. “Had you been crying?!” He pulled her back inside the room and sat him on the sofa.

 

Arian just nodded again and rubbed her forehead but was really concealing his eyes. “Yeah, just a bit dizzy from that bumped.”

 

“Where are you going?” Minhyuk then asked her as he tried to check on the “bump” on her head but she was just pushing his hand away. “What’s wrong?”

 

Arian sighed. No way to brush of this boy. A real persistent one. “I’m sorry, I-I just wanted to sneak out and see more of Super Junior.” Arian blurted without really thinking. “I think I know where their after party is and I just wanted to take the risk to see them upclose. And I didn’t want to hurt you guys so I’ll just sneak out and all and I’m sorry…”

 

Minhyuk was then silent. “You think?” He said. “Well, I know where they are right now.” That made Arian looked at him but quickly took it back. Minhyuk was fast enough to hold her hands down and Arian can no longer keep her tear-streaked face and puffy eyes. “Tell me what’s wrong, now.”

 

Minhyuk’s tone was too serious and as soon as Arian looked straight to his eyes, there was the sincerity and worry radiating back at her. She can no longer lie. “I like you Minhyuk. I like you a whole lot.”

 

There. It was all out. And as much as she wanted to take it back, it’s too late.

 

“I know.” Minhyuk simply smiled. “I know.”

 

Arian then raised an eyebrow. So, why make me meet her? So, why gave signals? So, why~

 

“I like you too.” Minhyuk cupped her face with his hands and rested his forehead on hers. “I like you too a whole lot.”

 

Time can indeed stop still and all Arian can hear was the loud beat of her heart. “Wha-what did you say?”

 

She can see Minhyuk’s smirk though they were almost nose to nose but was then block when a soft peck on her lips surprised her.

 

O.

M.

G.

 

She was then engulfed in a hug and she just hugged back, as tightly as she could. I’m awake. I’m awake. He likes me. And I’m awake.

 

They were like that for a few more minutes until Minhyuk pushed her back and smiled. “Why didn’t you directly gave me the box at backstage? Did something happen?”

 

Arian remembered the girl and explained to him what he saw and didn’t hold back telling how she felt. Minhyuk just laughed and hugged her again. “Just stop laughing, you making me feel more embarrassed.”

 

“Sorry.” Minhyuk breathed. “That was Peniel and Jen’s younger cousin. As in way younger. She was one of the front acts and it seemed like she’s debuting soon with her group. I haven’t seen her for sometime, and she was a real baby sister to me. That’s all.”

 

That lifted the pain she felt earlier completely. Arian can’t hide her smile now.

 

“Jealous much?” Minhyuk and she just nodded. “Good. Because you ruined the surprise I had for you.”

 

“Huh?” Arian was at lost and Minhyuk gave her the same box she was to deliver earlier. She opened it and was surprised to see the same notebook she gave him for his birthday.

 

Minhyuk sat beside her and picked up the notebook, flipping through the pages. “I wanted you to be the first one to read all my new songs, know your thoughts about it. Help me choose which one would be good for the mixtape I’m preparing…you know.”

 

Arian took it from him and read a few of his scribbling. She looked up at him and just can’t believe that this was all happening. A different Minhyuk was in front of her, a trusting one. “Thank you. Thank you for this. Thank you for liking me too.”

 

“Thank you for keeping up with me!” Minhyuk laughed, “I appreciate you helping me to be better and I can’t help but like you more than a good friend.”

 

They looked at each other, secrets on the open. A lot of changes in a very short time, good changes that resulted to something unexpected. She was just looking for a part time job to cover her concert ticket but ended up with her own idol that she can really call soon her “own”.

 

“So, can you tell me where Super Junior is?” Arian held his face in her hands. Loving the proximity already.

 

“That’s another surprise.” Minhyuk held her hands as well, “Just drop your bag and get out of this room. You’ll see them.”

 

Arian blinked, “NO FREAKING WAY. Meaning the after-party? Here?” But Minhyuk smirked as Arian screamed in joy and gave him a quick kiss on the cheeks. “I think I just fall in love with you completely.”

 

“I’d like that.” Minhyuk pulled her for another hug as he laughs, “I’d really like that even if Super Junior’s the main reason.”

 

“Babo.” Arian said and pulled him outside the room to start the New Year. Together.

 

**

a/n: Done. Finally. Hope this was worth the wait still.