Chapter 6

Part-Time, Over-qualified

Thankfully, Arian knew how to breathe again or she'll surely pass out for her mind's racing with lots of thoughts, including if they did the did or not.  But she doesn't feel any weirdness, except the situation they are in now. And a panging headache.

It's normal and sane to just get out of the bed and grasp of what's really happening but having second thoughts pulled her back to the warmth of the pillow. She might never get the chance to be this up-close to her crush.  Ever. Again. And her hangover’s kicking in, so better rest it for a few more minutes. Yeah, right.

She pulled the blanket to cover her giggling, as if Minhyuk's going to open his eyes and catch her.

Gorgeous.

She can only describe him with one word. His closed eyes were perfect slits on his pore less face. His straight nose and thin lips that are automatically smiling. He’s in a wife beater that showed his clear skin that girls would envy. She wanted to touch but held back, not a smart move if she wanted to stare. It’s what she learns on being a fangirl, sometimes it’s better to look but no touch. But soon her giggles were turned to a constrained laugh. Minhyuk let out a snore again and his mouth slacked, and then drooled.

And to make things more uncomfortable, Minhyuk’s arm landed on Arian’s belly, and he moved closer making her his human pillow. Arian can clearly hear his even snore as she tried her best not to move and breathe since she liked the warmth of Minhyuk’s arm on hers. She giggled again  and then suddenly stopped when she heard a grunt from him.

He stirred, small eyes adjusting to the light.  He sat up quickly which made the bed bounce a little. Arian didn't know what to do and pretended to go back to sleep, raising and peeking behind the blanket and watching Minhyuk's every movement. She saw him scratched his sides, brushed his hair with his hands only to mess it up more, wipe his mouth and eyes. The usual of a non-morning person if she's to be asked. He didn't even bother looking anywhere but just stood up and stretched. Let her be weird, cute alert!

She held her breathe when Minhyuk took off his top, opened a drawer and fished a red shirt. Her mind was racing with wild thoughts and she shut her eyes. Yeah.

Arian doesn’t know how long she was holding her breathe and had her eyes closed but the silence confirmed that Minhyuk’s no longer in the room. She let out a puff and sat up, shaking her head a bit, maybe to clear the most treasured images still dancing in her eyes and tuck it somewhere in her subconscious.

She got up because it doesn't make sense to stay longer and the smell of food just made her stomach grumble. She heard voices and took a peek from the slightly opened door and saw their boss Andrea preparing the breakfast. Arian felt a wave of relief knowing they’re not alone and started to drool from the freshly cooked waffles. So it's their boss's place. At least that makes sense on where they are and she remembered Andrea saying Minhyuk staying over most of the time.

"I thought you're the one in there?" Minhyuk asked confused, taking piece of sliced banana and popped it in his mouth, "Who then?" He chewed on and massaged his temples, seems like hangover’s kicking in too.

Andrea's voice was mumbled, like something was stuffed in . "It’s Arian. Des left earlier – wanting to sleep peacefully since you two were snoring.”

Arian cringe at the thought of her loud snores, she can’t help if she’s too tired or drunk.

Minhyuk made a childish laugh, “We really had it hard last night, huh?” He sat on one of the chairs and took the milk Andrea gave him. Really? Milk? cute. cute. Cute.

“You can say that.” Andrea grinned, “Last night was one of your best performances yet to date. It just you didn’t play a new song but you’re a good job.” She gave him thumbs up and then tossed some more fruits and waffles on his plate.

Minhyuk just shrugged, stuffing his mouth with food and looking down. “I had one but didn’t feel like sharing it to the world yet.” Arian felt it again, his sadness. She sat on the floor and rested her back on the wall, still listening to their conversation. She can’t go out now, she’s got nothing to do with it or say.

“How you feeling?” Their boss carefully asked, “About Jen’s…you know.”

Minhyuk let out a breath, taking his time to answer. “I’m happy for her, really. Joon seems like a super nice guy.”

 “I think so too.” Andrea nodded, “Joon will take care of our friend.”  Arian can’t bear to look at him, her heart squeezing from unexplained emotions.

“Jen-noona is, well…ya’ll know she’s my first love.” Minhyuk sighed again, “And one of my bestfriend, I just wish her the best. I knew we won’t really end up together but one can hope.”

“Minhyukkie[]” Andrea tapped his hand that was resting on the table.

“I should stop now, eh?” Minhyuk laughed a little, “I should have when they started dating. But I can’t find anyone like her.”

“Jen is Jen. You can’t compare anyone, it’ll just be unfair to all of you.” Andrea pulled her hand back and rested her own chin on her hands. “And yes, you should try to forget her.”

Minhyuk nodded before pulling out his phone that just went off.

“If you need a vacation just tell me.” Andrea served him more food.

“Sure.” He took a few more big bites of his waffle and stood up. “I-I should really get going, I have something to do.” He quickly moved and got his coat, bags, and shoes by the sofa. It’s really like his own place, knowing where his stuffs were.

“Yah.” Andrea then pulled him to a tight hug and they were like that for a minute, “Noona’s here, okay? Please just let me know where you going to be incase you feel like being alone. Don’t go running away again. Please?” She pulled back and smiled.

“Okay.” He gave him a smile that didn’t quite meet his eyes. He gave her one more hug and headed out the door.

*

Arian had been visiting the club for the past two weekdays and she can still feel the happy virus from Minhyuk’s birthday party. It was still the talk between the crew and even their customers. But sadly, Minhyuk haven’t been around. She already asked Andrea but she just shrugged and shook her head sadly. Arian’s been hoping she can still invite him to her provincial trip, to help him forget even a little.

Right after Minhyuk left their boss’s place, Arian went out the room and had a nice long chat with Andrea. She learned more about Minhyuk and knew one more reason why he hates fangirls. Andrea actually detailed Kat’s stories and it was just a mess of emotions for the boy.

Jenny was his English tutor when he was mentoring Peniel on rapping. It was like their payment since the siblings didn’t really have extra money to pay him. Their parents were only giving them enough since they wanted them to come back immediately but Jenny was really supportive with Peniel’s dream to be a performer. With that same passion they all became close friends.

For a time, Minhyuk and Jenny dated but Minhyuk’s contract at the club made it impossible to always meet up. When he started to get famous around the area, it was also a time where Jenny was being bullied by the fans. If they actually look closely to her forehead, there’s a small scar that was caused by the fangirls. Jenny didn’t want to tell it to Minhyuk since it will only distract him from his work, she knew how hard the competition is in the business since she supports Minhyuk the way she supports Peniel. But their parents learned about it and forced Jenny to come back home, letting Peniel pursue his career alone. It was too late when Minhyuk learned the truth and that was when he officially started hating fangirls – blaming them for Jenny’s departure.

Arian can’t help but feel pity towards Minhyuk. Losing love over career related stuffs. It was a good thing for Arian to know what had really happened, so just she would know where to start helping Minhyuk to try to forget his feelings. Something a friend would do.

Though during their conversation, Andrea was also able to confirm Arian liking Minhyuk. Arian didn’t need to deny it since concern was all over her face and actions. And it was a surprise to her when Andrea approved about it, and it was like getting a blessing from a family member.

“You’re one of the few that tolerates his moodiness and he trusts you too.” Their manager simply explained. “Thank you for helping, making him laugh.”

“Yeah, I’m a walking entertainment.” Arian laughed, “Still, I’m gonna be here. I’ll still be your friend even after I resign, right?”

“Ofcourse.” Andrea nodded, “But do you really have to go? You’re so good with our accounting and ~”

Arian raised an eyebrow.

“Just kidding.” Andrea raised both her arms and they laughed, “I should really hire someone to do those paperworks. Aish. I hate them.”

*

Cancelations, rebooks, last minute changes…it’s the usual routine when Arian has provincial tours to facilitate. And most of her officemates knew not to bother her when she’s stressed out like that.

She’s bound to handle a group of old people and no one at her office could come since they’re to cover a wave of Japanese tourists for the next two days. She’s used to handle things alone but sometimes older people are…a bit more hard to handle.

They were done with the paper works and she already had their list of emergency contacts. What’s unique about her was to ask for their list of medicines and what kind of food they should only eat. She made changes regarding the restaurant stops and canceled a couple of places to visit since she knew they’d take time on some of the spots they will visit. She’ll just make sure that her participants will enjoy more time at the pension.

“Expectations-checked, IDS-checked…” Arian was starting to stuff her work bag with documents, “AH! Medicine timer!” She quickly grabbed for her extra phone and started placing in alarmed notes for the list of medicines. She’s taking an extra mile so as to prevent any health issues on their trip.

“Arian?” She looked up and saw one of their interns by her office door.

“Yes?” She simply said and continued punching in alarms.

“Somebody’s looking for you.” The intern said, “He said he’s suppose to be a part of the trip but…”

“But?”

“Well, he’s too young and you know, the trips for oldies..and so…” Arian looked up again and saw a blush on the girls face.

“Maybe one of the grandchild?” Arian just smiled. “Just let him in.” The intern nodded and left her door open.

“Hi!” Arian greeted as soon as the guy came in and Arian’s heart thumped as soon as he saw the familiar mind-blowing smile. “Minhyuk! Hi!”

“Am I still eligible for the free field trip?” He asked smiling and walking closer to her table, “Wow! You’re office looks so…organized?” He laughed looking around at the stock of papers on her table and chairs and bags on the other side.

“Yes, that’s all organized.” Arian laughed too, “And welcome aboard. We mis- I mean, we’ve waiting for you to text, or Andrea’s been waiting~”

“Yah. Cool it. I already sent her a message that I’m with you.” Minhyuk placed his backpack on the floor. “You stressed?”

Surprise. Nervous. Happy. “Not really.” Arian answered, “Just that there are so much last minute changes.”

“Am I interrupting?” Minhyuk trailed.

“NO!No…” Never. Arian signaled him to sit. “You’re all good. It’s not bad changes really. I just had to make new detours and reservations since most, no, all my participants are old people. Except you, ofcourse.”

“Really?!” Minhyuk’s eyes lit up. “I love old people. I mean, you learn so much from them.”

Arian’s heart warmed. “So I guess you’re in the perfect trip?”

“Yep!” Minhyuk gave her a salute. “I can apply as your assistant if you want to but…you have to feed me good food.”

“Deal.” Arian stretched out her hand to a surprise Minhyuk. It’s a win-win situation anyway. An assistant and a crush-interest in one. This is going to be an awesome trip.

*

She really thought she’d feel uncomfortable having Minhyuk on the trip but it was the other way around. He was overly hyped on helping her and she was grateful with that. After she made her introductions and necessary stuffs, Minhyuk stayed on her side while she was detailing the tourist spots along the city streets before they hit the expressway. Minhyuk made it really lighter when he added smart-funny comments.

“This street is known for creative little cafes.” Arian was pointing to the right. “And what do you know about his place Minhyuk-ssi?”

“Aside from people with serious nervousness from too much caffeine?” He mocked and acted like he was in a deep thought. Arian ride along with him, secretly enjoying the little skit. “One café at the end of this street has the most sinful, chocolatiest, chocolate cake that goes great with their bold, black coffee. I would really wish to have one on my next birthday.”

“When is your birthday you pretty boy?” One of the grannies asked, smiling gently at him.

“It was just this last Saturday.” He grinned, “But gifts are still welcome.” Arian just had to hit his head for that. Everyone laughed at the bus as Minhyuk just grinned at her.

Minhyuk spend the travel time, changing seats and having conversations with different groups or couples. He was obviously enjoying the talks but with Arian’s keen observation he was overdoing some of his laughs. She sent a text message to Andrea about Minhyuk being with her, just to confirm that he did really let her know.

“Good.” That was the only reply.

*

 A/N: MIGRAINE ATTACK! THIS CHAPTER'S NOT YET DONE. I HAVE TO WRITE IT ALL OVER AGAIN JUST BECAUSE.

 

************************

 

This was the best trip ever. To date.

Arian’s jaws were hurting much from smiling the whole day, thanks to a bubbly Minhyuk ricocheting his charms in the bus. Minhyuk took over the entertainment and the hourly check of the clients’ medicines. It lightened Arian’s worries and she can fully concentrate on their stops and some detours.

Arian felt that Minhyuk was genuinely having fun right after lunch. His eyes were laughing more and she caught him smiling even when he was just alone. He was also fed and bought a lot of snacks, especially by the widowed beautiful grannies that he prefers to call noona.

A real noona Casanova.

Their last stop for the day was in a lighthouse with an awesome view of the sea. A stretch of blue and green water and the sun was ready to set any moment. By then Arian was able to breathe and kind of relaxed after she called the pension where they would be staying. She was glad she made this detour since she needed the feel of the water. It’s true that water calms down people. She stretched her body up, inhaling the fresh air, and loved the feel of sweetness of the couples around her. Old couples were really the best to look at.

She quickly scanned for Minhyuk and gave an unconscious laugh after seeing that he was surrounded by the single ladies. Minhyuk was being a gentleman and a heartthrob and Arian can’t help but raise her camera and took a number of candid shots. Picture perfect. And of course, a few solo close-up shots. Perfect.

“Young lady.” Mrs. Baek, one of her favorite guest for this trip, was on her side holding her arm.

“Yes, Madame?” Arian smiled.

“Thanks for sharing your boyfriend with us.” She laughed softly, “He is such a dear and he makes me remember of Mr. Baek when he was young.”

Arian laughed out loud, “So, Mr. Baek was a playboy? And Minhyuk’s a…co-worker. A friend only.”

Mrs. Baek just smiled warmly, her eyes saying she’s not believing her. “Mr. Baek was a real playboy that I can only control. Seems like we will be the same.”

Arian was to say something but Minyuk was already calling for their attention to join them.

“Let’s go and join the fan club.” Mrs. Baek started walking, holding still on her arm. Arian just took a deep breath, and gave a smile towards Minhyuk as well.

*

They had an enjoyable dinner, Minhyuk again, entertaining them with his witty jokes and flirty moves. He was also asked to sing and without hesitation he did some old songs and the men were able to join him to woo their wives.

And as for Arian’s embarrassment (and happiness), Minhyuk turned his attention to her, rapping some lines of appreciation for the trip and a kiss on her hand. She knew she flushed red and Minhyuk just smiled sheepishly – while the older people were like high schools giggling.

Arian felt like a mom checking every room in the pension house, making sure that all of her clients were tucked in and settled. She had her handy-dandy notebook, organizing her checklist. She was even cornered in the ‘single ladies’ room, being interrogated about Mr. Lee Minhyuk. She just gave them enough answers and told them that Minhyuk does exercise early in the morning so they should be up as early as that well to spend some more quality time with him.

She breathed deeply when she got out the house and up to the gazebo, which overlooks an endless field of tomatoes under the bright night sky. She actually enlisted them to pick some for take homes.

Arian heard a few strums of a guitar coming from the gazebo and she tiptoed her way up the stairs, not wanting to disturb the one playing – just in case it’s one of the old couples serenading each other. Well, for most of her trips, the older people were acting like teenagers in a camping trip.

She was then surprised to see Minhyuk embracing the guitar and gently strumming and humming with it. The moon was like his spotlight while the gentle breeze kisses his hair. He felt her presence and smiled up, nodding his head to the side asking her to sit down. He continually played the guitar and finished the few notes with his hum.

Arian sat down clapping and Minhyuk was just grinning.

“I saw this in the entry wall,” Minhyuk tapped the guitar, “And I felt like playing.”

“That was really nice.” Arian praised him, “Your own?”

Minhyuk nodded. “Thanks. I just completed the revision now.”

“Revision?” Arian looked at his face. It was more of a calm one and no more sadness.

Minhyuk stared at the field, randomly strumming the guitar. “I made a song but I wasn’t able to perform it last week. It didn’t fit…so yeah, I kinda changed the lyrics but same beat.”

“Can I hear it?” Arian asked, trying her luck. Feeling like it’s a privilege to be one of the first to hear a Minhyuk original.

He looked thoughtful for a minute but still smirked. “Just a part?” He started playing and sang a few verses but abruptly stopped that left Arian hanging.

“YAH!” Arian protested and pouted.

“I have to polish it first.” Minhyuk laughed, “It’ll be ready by…let’s see…your birthday?” He joked.

“But that’s already next week.” Arian said without thinking but clapped at once. She didn’t really want people to know since she already has plans of sitting in front of her television, watching newly downloads Super Junior videos and eating sweets and tweeting in between.

Minhyuk raised an eyebrow and smiled. “Really?”

Arian just shrugged and her mind’s whirling with thoughts how to take it back. None. “Can we like, just keep it a secret?”

“Why?”

“Just because?” Arian smiled her sweetest smile.

“I’ll try.” Minhyuk laughed and Arian hit him again on his arm. “Fine. Let’s say it’s my final thank you for letting me join this get away for free.” He sighed. “I just needed to not think about her and be refreshed and I’m honestly all well now.”

“For real?” Arian tilted his head a bit to the side, liking what she’s hearing.

He nodded gently, “I mean, I keep holding the past when I can just move forward and anticipate more good things in the future, right? I’m happy for Jen and I know she wishes the best for me too. I guess, I’m just holding the memories…”

Arian was quite surprise with that mini-confession. She was glad to be there as a friend…and maybe more.

“We all want the best for you.” Arian said with more sincerity.

“Thanks.” Minhyuk said, hugging the guitar closely. “But you still going to treat me for a meal next week.”

“If you let me listen to that song first.” Arian grinned. She’d be more than willing to treat him even without that song.

“Deal.” Minhyuk took her hand and shook it. “Now let’s go in. I-I’m sleepy.” He yawned and still held her hand and led the way.

Arian felt like giggling inside. “Yeah, you should wake up early tomorrow as well. The grannies will be waiting for you.”

“What did you put me into?” Minhyuk looked at her quickly but still tugged her up the stairs.

“You love to exercise, right?” Arian just said and pulled her hand. She ran up the stairs quickly and opened the door. “They’ll be waiting for you before the dawn cracks.” She did a quick ‘merong’ and run inside.

She smiled hearing Minhyuk’s loud laugh and a curse from the outside.