Chapter 5

Part-Time, Over-qualified

Nothing beats the real thing.

 

Dimmed lights, intro music, screams… Arian really loves the feeling when a concert starts. She already seen the practice performances and knew how great it will be but it cannot be compared to the actual show, for there are no more take twos.

 

And when Minhyuk went up on the stage, all swagged-up, the crowd yelling “Heota”  – it was just surreal. The laser lights added to the thrill as Minhyuk started dancing, doing a few acrobatic stunts, and the lights and sounds completely went out for a few second, leaving an exciting anticipation.

 

It was a major brainstorm for them how to open the show but Minhyuk insisted to do an unusual opening explaining it’s gonna be fresh and it’s right about time to showcase his other talents. It’s his show and call anyway, co-producing his own mini-comcert.

 

There was only a spotlight that came back on, focusing on Minhyuk, who started doing a fast acapella freestyle rap. Two more people went up on the stage and did beat boxing before a full music beat came on that hyped up the crowd and the party was on the roll.

 

The intro was actually just a taste of the second set, for the first one was all about Minhyuk showing his singing prowess, dancing skills and some fan interaction. One by one, the trainees and idols that he’s close with performed. Minhyuk was quite impressive reaching the high notes and his energy never dropped a bit as he popped his body. And for Arian, Minhyuk outshined most of the artists he performed with. It was his confidence and natural charisma that did it.

 

If Arian could just sit and watch him all night long she would. But responsibilities, with good pay, comes in the way. A “Boo” but more “Yeys” situation really. Rubbing elbows with celebrities is a one in a million chance for someone like her, so not being able to watch Minhyuk perform closely was just the price to pay. It’s not like she can’t ever get close to him. So running back and forth, making sure that their own bar was refilled and non-VIPs were out the lounge, she’d say she’s doing a good job.

 

Still throughout the night, Arian was curious about Jenny. Minhyuk was really happy to see her, she can’t stop thinking. Though she can always ask Des or Kat, she keeps on accidentally hearing people talking about her. Not that she’s eavesdropping; obviously the loud music causes the shouting.

“Jenny’s back.” / “I thought she’s in the States?” / “Oh no, now we don’t have a chance with Heota-oppa.” Arian hid her laughter with some of the statements but seriously getting a hint about Jenny. Old love? Seems like.

Des took over when the first set was almost done, since her task on handling the fangirls and securing the gifts were done. Andrea made sure first that Des was all calmed down before setting her free in the VIP lounge, they didn’t want her to embarrass herself anyway, melting in front of her idol-crushes.

 

“Don’t worry, Eunkwang’s gonna distract her.” Andrea laughed as they left Des alone.  And true to their boss’s words, Eunkwang was all on her while she tends to the VIP needs. Even when her super-idol crush passed by and gave her a cheeky grin, she just smiled shyly and nodded. Eunkwang’s smile was then all ear to ear following Des around.

 

Arian retreated back to the manager’s office, again nursing her dead feet from her killer stilettos which she quickly removed and left by the door. She was surprised to see tons of paper bags, boxes and special packages all over the office tables, seats and basically on the floor. Cakes of all sizes were carefully lined-up on the office table, hiding the chair behind. Arian thought Kat was exaggerating when she said that Minhyuk receives a truck-full of gifts…guess not. She took a peek on some of the opened paper bags and was surprised to see designer shirts, some even had the price tags on it. Wow, fans. She definitely knows how fangirls work, for she herself already have the gifts set up for Super Junior.

 

She carefully navigated her way to the chair behind the cakes since it was the only seat available. She turned it around to face the wall and raised her feet up on the small cabinet for a rest. She usually catches Andrea sleeping like this, and man, was it comfortable. She turned off her radio first, since she’s not needed to be back till the second half. She tapped the alarm on her phone and snoozed it for five minutes as grace. But before she can fully close her eyes, someone came inside the room, filling it with familiar voices.

 

“Noona, I’m glad you’re here.” Minhyuk said warmly, keeping Arian still on her seat. Noona? Jenny?

 

“It’s nice to see you too.” Jenny said, “You were perfect up there.”

 

“Nah.” Minhyuk laughed shyly. That’s new to me, Arian thought.

 

“Always the humble kid.” Jenny laughed. That one too.

 

“Yah, stop calling me a kid.” He said, causing Jenny to laugh.

 

Arian desperately wanted to turn around but that would be a bad idea. Well, she’s not exactly eavesdropping again, she’s ‘supposedly’ sleeping.  

 

“How was America treating you?” Minhyuk asked and Arian could hear some movements, maybe Minhyuk was clearing the sofa seat and she was right when she heard the familiar creak of the seat.

 

“Good. Fine.” Jenny muffled.

 

“Spill it.” Minhyuk demanded softly, “You didn’t change a bit noona, those creasing eyebrows means you are hiding something.” Minhyuk’s observant… Arian keeps learning new things by the minute.

 

Jenny made a loud sigh. “It’s about Joon.” She started and Minhyuk just ‘hmed’ as an answer. “We’re getting married.”

 

Silence.

 

“I-I’m to tell you about it tomorrow but he’s actually following me here tonight, to meet ya’ll. We weren’t able to get the same flight back here so I’m telling you now and we have to fly to his hometown early morning.” Jenny continued when Minhyuk didn’t say anything.  “I just wanted you to know from me, I haven’t even told Peniel. So, please say something?”

 

“Ah, yeah.” Minhyuk cleared his throat. “Well, wow, congratulations! I’m happy you told me first. Wow. Marriage.”

 

“Yeah.” Jenny sighed again, a happy tone from her. “We’re to get blessings from Joon’s family too that’s why we’re here. And of course share the news to our friends.”

 

“I’m really surprised but happy for you Noona.” Minhyuk said sincerely but Arian can hear a bit of sadness out of it too.  “Thanks for letting me know first, Peniel’s gonna kill me again.”

 

“No way.” Jenny laughed, the conversation turning in to a lighter mood. “I’d really like you to meet Joon, he’s a good guy. Just like you, my protector.”

 

“I’m the one causing you problems!” Minhyuk exclaimed.

 

“I’m a trouble magnet!” Jenny answered back, “Not your fault entirely, we’re just partnered with trouble.”

 

“Yeah, yeah. Midgets are always stuck together.” He laughed and Arian tried her best to keep her own. Maybe Jenny’s face showed confusion for Minhyuk explained it was a private joke amongst the staff.

 

“Minhyukkie, thanks for everything.” Jenny’s tone was now serious, “You’re my best friend and I’d also wish you happiness.”

 

“You too, Jenny.” Minhyuk said tenderly, “I wish you guys happiness.”

 

Jenny’s phone then went off and she needed to go out and wait for Joon. Minhyuk stayed and it was an uncomfortable silence, Arian trying to keep still and figuring out his every movement. Hearing his deep sighs means it wasn’t really good news.

 

It was always an epic fail moment when Minhyuk is around. Arian’s alarm went off and she cursed out loud, dropping her phone and the radio, causing her to curse again.

 

Minhyuk’s laugh was like a boombox irritating Arian instantly. She gave him a pout and picked up her stuffs, tapping her alarm off.

 

“Clumsy girl.” Minhyuk shook his head, shaking the laughter off as well. “You never fail to make me laugh.”

 

Arian just shrugged and smiled. She walked across the room, picked up her sandals and sat back beside him. She gave a resigned sigh before wearing her footwear back.

 

“Why didn’t you wear those wedges kind of sandals?” Minhyuk leaned forward on his knees, placing his elbows on it and his face on his fisted hands. Aish, acting cute again.

 

“I’d look like an awkward fifteen year-old if I wear wedges.” She answered. “I swear this will be the last time I’m going to wear you. You’re hard to put on, as much as I take you off and walk on it.” Arian said directly at her shoes, and surprisingly it slid on her feet with ease. “Good.”

 

“Woah.” Minhyuk said in amazement. They both laughed as the other sandal went in okay as well.

 

“I didn’t really mean to hear your conversation earlier.” Arian started, since it’s better to clear things now. “I was here to sleep, really.”

 

He gave her a knowing smile and gently patted her hand, “I know. I kinda figured out you were here anyway.” Arian raised an eyebrow and Minhyuk eyed her sandals and the door.

 

“Ah.” Arian smiled. “My lips are sealed, though it’s a secret or not.” Minhyuk reacted with a soft laugh. “But I’m not sure who Jenny is in your life, but hearing that conversation I just need to ask one thing.”

 

“Yeah?” Minhyuk slumped back on the couch.

 

“Are you okay?” Arian asked concern all over her. She can see the surprised reaction on his face and instantly turned into a thankful smile.

 

“I’ll be.” Minhyuk’s eyes weren’t smiling but Arian can feel he’s saying the truth. “Thanks for asking.”

 

“Good.” Arian then checked her phone, a good idea dinging, and quickly scrolled through her schedules. “I’m not sure if you’re up to it but I have 2 overnight provincial trips this week. I have perks bringing friends, so I’m inviting to one?”

 

“Aren’t those expensive?” Minhyuk asked, “And you already gave me a birthday present, I don’t want an advance Christmas gift!”

 

“It’s included in my perks as a superb tour guide.” Arian boasted lightly and tapped his head lightly, “And was there ever a rule for not giving more than one gift?”

 

“Aigoo.” Minhyuk can’t help but pinched her cheeks, “I’ll take that offer, superb tourguide-ssi.”

 

“Ring me for that.” Arian said as she tries to take Minhyuk’s hands away, “But I’d make you pay half if you don’t let go of my cheeks.” He instantly let go and placed an arm around her shoulders, thanking her.

 

“By the way, did Kat already told you I have a friend who’s bestfriend is the cousin of a Super Junior member?” Minhyuk randomly asked causing Arian’s fan girl mode on.

 

 

*

 

Maybe it was just Arian who can see the sad face behind Minhyuk’s happy mood, it was like nothing happened earlier as he greets his friends around the VIP room. Jenny was still not back and Arian was somewhat glad for that, no one should really ruin the night for the birthday boy. If she’s to assess things though, it does look like Jenny was or still is the love of his life.

 

Minhyuk was dragging her around, introducing her to his friends.  Arian was already squeezing her reddened face from all the handshakes and sudden hugs she get from the Minhyuk’s famous friends and he just laughed and more.

 

 She’s glad that Des was still in the VIP area for she can’t help but be on cloud nine. She still have a few minutes to enjoy Minhyuk holding her hand, meeting his friends, and just being close to him till the last half starts. At least Minhyuk’s smiles and laughs were genuine, and though Arian knew Minhyuk’s tripping on her, she’d be more than glad to just let him. For now. If that what makes him smile.

 

“Minhyuk, you have to go up the stage now!” Arian pushed him, hearing the call over the radio. “We’re running behind schedule.” He nodded and gave her a salute. It was a good idea that their make-up artist was following him around to do retouch.

 

“Hey, noona.” Minhyuk called her, “Thanks.” He bowed a little and run his way up the stage, firing the party again.

 

 On that moment, Arian saw Minhyuk as a real friend. Not as a crush, not as an idol in the making. But merely a friend in need and someone she sure can confide into as well.

 

She smiled and headed back to her tasks, channeling her radio back to Andrea’s signal.

 

*

The encore was actually a surprise act for Minhyuk. The staff knew that his high school rap group would come in late and they decided to make it a surprise. It startled Minhyuk which made him speechless for a few seconds but was like a kindergartener favored to ride the swing all throughout recess when they started the music. A two hour special wasn’t enough as he jumped around the stage, inviting the other artists to come up and sing.

 

It was one great concert if Arian was to surmise it, considering herself lucky and proud to be a part of it. She never had fun working and partying at the same time and she wished it could still prolong. But that was a selfish request, for her legs were also giving up.

 

Minhyuk decided to go out to the crowd outside as some of her celebrity friends distracted the people inside the venue. He thanked the people who still came and watched from the projected screens and gave them hugs and took pictures in the limited time he had. They all knew Minhyuk wanted to stay long but that would make it harder to let his guests go out without any commotion.

 

The after-party was more of a congratulatory party for the team. They asked the technical and logistics team not to take the stage and sounds off yet and was gladly given an hour more in exchange of free booze.

 

They took out all the gifts and helped Minhyuk to segregate them. It was no surprise that the staffs were included and a bunch of it was for Andrea alone. They raffled off the small cakes and started dividing the big ones while Minhyuk checks out the other stuffs he can share with the others.

 

There were only a few VIP guests that joined them and a few fans that Minhyuk personally invited. Kat told Arian that these fans were the ‘cool’ ones appearing only on his shows and never stalked him, and instead of giving him material gifts they actually donate to different institutions under his name. Arian’s amazement for Minhyuk grew more, knowing that he’d have a very stable fanbase once he debuted, despite his general doubtfulness to every fangirl.

 

Jenny and her fiancé Joon had to go soon since they have an early scheduled flight to Joon’s province. Minhyuk was casual and smiled all throughout the couple’s announcement and moment, giving Joon a handshake and hugging Jenny tight before they leaved. Arian saw Andrea, Kat, and Des exchanged a worried look but kept it among themselves.

 

Kat might have sensed Arian’s curiosity again and sat beside her watching Minhyuk played drinking shots with the others. “If Heota-oppa plays soul-train, he’s taking Jenny-unnie’s wedding badly.” Kat said and before Arian can even ask her what soul-train is, Minhyuk shouted it and they were setting up shots of soju over glasses of beer. Minhyuk and Des’s celebrity crush faced each other and settled to bet their wrist watches. Eunkwang pushed one end of the soju shot and it was a domino effect as one by one the small glasses dropped into the beer glasses and they started drinking, each challenger having their own line.

 

“Yah! Eunkwang-oppa! You have to take Heota-oppa home! Aish.” Kat yelled at his brother who only gave her thumbs up. “Babo.”

 

“Is Minhyuk bad when he’s drunk?” Arian asked stretching out her legs under the table, secretly cheering as Minhyuk drowns his glasses.

 

“He’s a clown slash a dramatic actor when he is.” Kat pouted, “I wouldn’t say it’s bad when he acts funny but he’s a real pity when he cries all of a sudden.”

 

“That’s…bad.” Arian rested her chin on her hands.

 

“I wish Jenny-unnie waited till the party ended but I knew how she can’t ever keep a secret too long from Heota-oppa.” Kat sighed, “Aish, I wished they relationship wasn’t really a one-sided love.”

 

“What do you mean, one sided?” Arian faced Kat now, not caring anymore who won.

 

“Jenny-unnie was Heota-oppa’s first love.” Kat smiled sadly, “They dated for a while but Jenny-unnie needed to fly back to America and continue her studies. She was here for some time, helping Peniel to settle in as he trains to be a singer. Heota-oppa was actually his voice and dance tutor out the training company, and was the siblings’ Hangeul tutor as well. In exchange, they paid him with a place to stay in and taught him basic English.

                Jenny-unnie was really sweet and good towards him but it was all sisterly-brotherly love for her. Minhyuk was cool all about it, friendship. But he was really down when she needed to go, he actually disappeared for a week. When he came back we all thought he was over but it’s been three years, he’s still like that.”

 

“First loves…” Arian didn’t know what to say. Minhyuk was now standing on the table, doing a victory-rabbit dance, taking the wrist watch he won, and challenged the other boys. They were pushing Des but before she can say yes, Arian stood up and shouted, “I bet half the night’s tip.”

 

“And we got a challenger, everyone!” Minhyuk bowed and motioned for her to sit across him. The people were then split into two, girls VS boys. “Come-on, Arian-noona!”

 

“Are you sure about this?” Kat worriedly asked her, “Minhyuk’s bad when he’s drunk but he’s not a bad drinker. It’s like he’s got a different stomach just for alco-”

 

Arian just nodded, “Don’t worry. I’ve tried this kind of drink before.” She doesn’t know where all the confidence came from but she’s excited to try it.  Maybe to share the fun and pain with her crush? Place her feet in his shoes? It doesn’t matter now, it was a split second decision and she can’t back out.

 

“I don’t have a tip for tonight but I’d let you choose one of the paperbags I got in there.” Minhyuk said and pointed at the paperbags behind him.

 

“What’s in it first?” Arian asked tying her hair up then stretching her arms up as well.

 

“An iPhone, a music player, and a game console.” Minhyuk grinned at her. His cheeks were already red and he really looked tipsy. Arian’s got a good feeling she can win.

 

“But I don’t need a game console.” Arian said, settling in her seat.

 

“But you can sell it.” Minhyuk helped to fill up the glasses, “We just have to finish them all, first one to do so wins. Wait, how much was your tip?”

 

“Enough for a deluxe trip in our tour company.” Arian breathed and looked straightly at Minhyuk’s eyes, they were both smiling and hands ready for the first glass. Andrea was the middle man and she was the one to call the queue.

 

It was all in slow motion for Arian, she taking her first glass, letting the cold slide of the drink down and watch Minhyuk as he downed his as well, some of the content spilling down his throat. She knew she should concentrate and stop thinking about him as y but it can’t be helped.  Minhyuk had to burp and that gave Arian the edge of one glass.

 

Arian started to feel the beer in her stomach, she also started having double vision, and everyone around her was just blurry. She knew they were counting down to ten and she was just trying her best to take it all in….then it was all black.

 

She passed out, who knows how long but Kat and Des were helping her up, cheering. It took her a minute to process to realize that she won. She looked for Minhyuk who was now asleep on the table, half a glass of beer still on his hand, people taking pictures of him. Arian motioned that she needed to throw up and the girls were more than happy to assist her towards the bathroom.

 

*

 

Waking up and seeing an unfamiliar ceiling was the first on her “to panic” list. She sat up to fast and the hang over kicked in, but she managed to steady herself and cleaned her eyes to look around. It definitely wasn’t her room and for a sane check-up, she looks down at her body and thankful that she still got clothes on though it was a bunny loose shirt she swear she’d never wear.

 

Her heart thumped loudly when she felt someone breathing beside her. A loud snore surprised her and as she peeked under the pillow-covered head, she prays that it’s not the person she thinks it was. It’s just that she can easily recognize the bracelet on the person’s wrist.

 

Don’t let this be him. Don’t let this be him. Don’t let this be him.

 

FML.

 

Minhyuk.