Chapter 1

Part-Time, Over-qualified

Over-qualified.

 

How she hated that word. All she wanted was a part time job for at least a month or two, get in-get out. But she can’t blame those employers- and didn’t really want to lie on her resume about her current office work and more office work in the past. What does she know with the fast paced, all around work? A little maybe.

 

She mentally screamed and threw the remaining copies of her resume in the trash bin. She quickened her steps out the commercial building and just wanted to go home and probably curl herself on her bed and cry. Yeah, a cry baby, she is.

 

Maybe should she resign now and get lucky finding a higher paying job? But she would lose her benefits which were really a good deal despite their above-average salary. And she’s still having fun at the office, workmates almost family and socializing with their clients. She gets to travel around the country as well, depending on the demands of the tourists booking in their agency.

 

She sighed, “Freaking Super Junior! Why do you have to be so expensive!” She almost cursed out loud, if only she wasn’t surrounded by high school kids in the bus stop.

 

She then smiled, feeling a bit crazy, and shook her head. She just wanted to watch the concert of her favorite band and unfortunately she had a lot of expected expenses for the next half a year. And it’s not really practical for her to mess up her budget for the only-band-she-shipped-for-the-last-6-years. Not that she wasn’t ready for the anticipated event, it was just unexpectedly more costly.

 

No, it’s not practical and safe. The only way now not to miss such an important event that rarely comes in her life is to get another job. But again, she’s OVER-QUALIFIED.

 

She heard the honk of the bus, signaling it was close to the stop. By instinct, she decided to step back and just let the high school girls go ahead. It’s not like she needed to go home immediately and she wanted peace on the ride home, not giggling and shizz.

 

She waved a friendly gesture to the driver, telling she’s not boarding and busied herself on the pin-ups on the bus-stop walls. For rents, selling, college events, and part-time jobs…more part time jobs. She chuckled.

 

One flyer did catch her attention, specific qualifications which she certainly fits with white lies. And it’s only a block away from where she was now. She took a quick look on her watch and made up her mind. The bus won’t be coming for another half an hour, she’s got time if it’s another rejection.

 

**

 

“Are you sure you’re above 21?” The interviewer repeated the question, looking at her intently. She felt like dealing drugs with the woman in front of her, having the interview at the back of the bar.

 

“Yes.” She calmly said, frustration building up. “I can show you my ID and all…”

 

 She clicked her tongue and shrugged –“No need. I just need your word that you’re over 21 and can keep up with the work. The load here is no joke, even part-timers are required for mandatory overtime if situations ask for it.”

 

She nodded too excitedly, feeling a ‘yes’ coming.

 

“Let me repeat the work load then.” She took in a deep breath before ranting, “Multi tasks, bus tables, get orders, clean floors, bathrooms for boy waiters only,attends to the performers needs, helps at the bar and non-stop moving around. 10 minute break every hour-grab a smoke or drink, 30 minutes for a long one. Food and drinks free on a limited tab…and don’t get sick! Tips directly in your pocket from the designated tables. What else? Oh, your name again?”

 

“Arian.” She answered and tried to keep up, “When will I start?”She confidently asked, the rant seemed like a YES anyway.

 

“Oh yeah,” The interviewer smirked and lit a cigar, “Every Saturday, starting tomorrow. Be here not later than 9 PM. Look for me and I’ll give you your uniform.” She flashed the pin on her chest.

 

“Andrea. Manager.” She read and bowed.”Thank you.”

 

“Don’t thank me yet.” She laughed, “I’m not sure if your petite body can handle this work and as much as I want to require you wearing heels to add to your height, you might just kill me.”

 

“Don’t worry, I can handle it, Boss!” She exclaimed.

 

“Just call me Andrea.” Her new boss smiled and puffed another smoke. “And tou don’t know what you’re getting yourself into but I’ll give tomorrow a try.”

 

**

 

Arian didn’t lie but didn’t exactly tell the truth. She’s 26 already and as for a work experience related to the job, she used to work in a small food stall. And her weekends were free – that’s the important thing for that Manager Andrea. She didn’t ask about anything related to college stuffs and Arian breathed for that. The only thing that made her apprehensive was her height, she knew that. But her conversational skills showed off she’s way beyond college.

 

She wore leggings, white plain shirt and chucks to her new work as a uniform; she’ll be given an apron or something once she’s in. She felt a bit of excitement and nervousness. Just like any other first times.

 

She went to the back door as instructed and asked for the Manager, she was quickly let in and directed to go to the bar. Andrea saw her at once and quickly signaled her to come closer. The place already was half-full, maybe patrons, enjoying late dinner and/or finishing it.

 

“9 on the dot. Very good newbie.” Andrea gave her the neon green apron and cap. “It’s easier to see you guys in the dark and this wasn’t my idea of a uniform.” She laughed which made Arian comfortable, she’s liking already the first minute of her job.

 

“Most of the customers here now are regulars and would stay till the performances are up,” She continued and led her inside the bar. She then started pointing to different spots at the place, “Those at the left are pretty much VIPs, near the stage but far enough the stereos. Here on the right side, tables one to five are your responsibilities. The ushers by the door decides where to situate the guests, if they don’t insist, so you’ll be pretty safe. If you ever handle a y type, call my attention or any bouncers attention so they can radio me. Clear?”

 

“Uh-huh.” She answered, mentally listing everything.

 

“And you also handle the performers’ request. Just tab it in on the bar.” She nodded again.

 

“Meet the others.” She then led her further in the bar and inside the lockers, meeting the staff. She’s loving it already – feeling welcomed and at ease.

 

**

 

By her third break after midnight, she’s already panting. Her leg muscles giving in with too much running and her arms throbbing in pain with the heavy platters. She was just instructed to get the orders, clean the tables, and take the bills at first. The Manager probably being careful with the food. She’s thankful for that.

 

It was also a good thing taking non-drowse anti-allergens before getting in for work, she anticipated the smoke. Though her usual weekend nights composed of net-surfing, late night movies or dinner with friends or sleeping, she’s no naïve with bar scenes.

 

She got out the back door, appreciating the cold night and the not so fresh but still natural air up her nostrils down her lungs. She misses her couch and her cuddly stuffed-duck toy, she misses her weekend marathon and net surfing… she wanted to quit now. Too used to office works and chattering. But as she jiggled the inside pocket of her apron and felt the tip, she smirked.

 

“Hey newbie.” A cheerful voice called her. “You okay?”

 

Arian looked up and smiled, “Hanging on.” Den? Del? Aaargh, can’t remember her name. The girl sat beside her and Arian saw her name tag, Des.

 

Des sat beside her and offered her chips which she gladly took some.

 

“I can’t believe you’re doing this every night.” Arian blurted out.

 

Des just laughed. “We got used to it. And the people we work with here are just easy to be with.” She smiled, “We’ve been looking out for you earlier. Andrea scared that you might do something stupid- which is understandable being a newbie and all. But you were okay out there.” Des flashed a gorgeous smile, “Just that you’re so small built.”

 

“I know.” Arian laughed harder, enjoying the frankness of the girl sitting beside her. “I was surprised as well that Andrea employed me.”

 

“Part-timer comes and goes. Some last even not half a day.” Des shrugged.

 

“Oh.” Arian felt a bit uncomfortable on that. “I’m, well I don’t…”

 

“Hey, I’m not comparing, scaring or what. Just telling you the facts.” Des tapped her shoulder. “Believe me if you last 4 nights here, you’ll be well compensated.”

 

Arian was to asked what she meant but Des was no longer looking at her but on the man by the door. He was talking to the bouncers guarding the back door and turned his head to their direction. Des just nod her head up and so did he before getting inside.

 

“He’s our closing performer.” Desstood up, finishing the rest of the chips. “Brace yourself, it’s gonna get wild in there.”

 

***

“Wild” was an understatement. If Arian’s going to describe the scene in front of her, it’s definitely “chaotic”.

The tables were moved to the back and it was a hell of a mini moshpit inside. The crowd was getting thicker as more people came in. It kinda surprised her since the performer would only have an hour on the stage and the entrance fee gone almost up half the price.

Des briefed her about him and she’d say he’s quite impressive. Minhyuk, or Heota –his stage name, is infamous in the underground scene. He writes his own stuffs and always on demand for front acts. He’s currently attending college and one damn heartthrob. Most of the times he performs alone or tags his friends on stage – just like now.

Arian saw Andrea having a discussion with Minhyuk at the back of the bar, their manager looking a bit frustrated. She can’t clearly see the boy’s face though.

Andrea asked her to stay near the bar and just avoid the crowd, well, since it’s her first day. Des also told her that they might have a hard time for a crowd control tonight since they didn’t expect that Minhyuk’s going to bring his friends to perform. A usual Saturday performing night of Minhyuk were overcrowded, but tonight it was just overflowing since he brought three other performers, who have their own followers as well. And she was also warned to stay far from their manager first, she’s with a raging temper since Minhyuk brought the underage performer which resulted to angry underage fans outside the bar wanting to go in. They had to call for back-up bouncers.

“Minhyuk! You’re going to pay for the extra security here!” Arian heard their manager yelled at Minhyuk, who only gave her a salute. “Jinja, you should have told me you’re going to bring them! Go up there and perform now!”

Arian just gave a soft laugh.

“Fact, Andrea can never really get angry at them. Especially, Minhyuk.” Des told her as they prepare more drinks for the guests sitting by the bar.

“Why?” Arain asked back.

“Maybe, you’ll know when you get to stay here longer.” Des only smiled, she was to ask more when the lights were suddenly dimmed and the people pushed forward the stage.

Four-beat piano notes started to play and the four boys just stood on the stage rapping and singing on their ground. It was a surprise for Arian that they started with a mellow-sad beat, she was expecting techno/electro hype ones, but she liked it this way. The audience were also just swaying and bobbing their heads and bodies with them. Arian can’t help but closed her eyes for a moment and took it all in.

Then they started with upbeat revived songs which they were able to sing along. Surprises kept unfolding as Arian enjoyed the show.  Des pointed who’s who on the stage and she can’t keep her eyes off Minhyuk: he raps so good, eyes looking fierce but it’s way too different when he flashes a smile. A cute rapper, doesn’t really work most of the time, but he carries it too well.

There were moments of free style rapping and answering backs in between Minhyuk and the other performer. The crowd was just getting more wilder as they do it and beatboxing in between as well. The boy’s ended with some original composition and had two encore songs as the crowd pleaded.

Their manager running around the venue, pulling out kids from the moshpit and dragging them to the VIP sections. Arain thought Andrea was jst being nice, getting the kids out of troubles way, if ever it arises, but had a laugh when the performance ended and she asked for their cameras to delete the videos. She can cover for the youngest performer being in a bar, but she can’t do much covering their for letting in these kids. Not that they willingly let them in.

Arian then prepared non-alcoholic drinks and brought it backstage, she was instructed to do so, she already took off her uniform to avoid being called out by other customers.  She waited until the boys were able to get out of their fans hold. Arian smiled at them, offering them their drinks and stayed if ever they needed more.

The boys were looking at her curiously but took the drinks. Sungjae, the youngest, as Des pointed to her, thanked her a few more times before drinking his juice. So was, Peniel, the English speaking one and Eunkwang who was arranging his hair always. Minhyuk took the seat far from her and was staring at her intently, goosebumps being sent to her way.

“Anything else you need?” She asked looking at them one by one but avoiding Minhyuk’s stare. His facial expression changes so fast…he was flirty up the stage, now he’s what?

“I’m good.” Peniel said and raised his bottle, and the other two did as well.

Arian nodded and headed for the door.

“Wait.”

She then turned around and Minhyuk was already up, walking towards her. “Here, take this back.” Arian blinked her eyes and took the bottle of juice back from him, wondering.

“Minhyuk-hyung…” Sungjae started with a pleading voice.

She’s at lost with what’s happening but froze when Minhyuk started ranting.

“Why can’t you kids get a life? Following performers, spendin your parents’ money, staying late at night, making them worry?” Minhyuk started and continued, “You burden us really. You even burden the bar’s manager, making her lose this place if police knew you kids are here. We don’t need your support if it’s going to hurt other people. Jinja!”

Arian didn’t really know how to react.  She stared up at him, unknowingly, a tear rolling down her eyes. “I-I’m…”

But Minhyuk’s expression was really scary, full of hatred and somewhat threatening. He didn’t curse but the words were slicing. She’s not even the one who’s suppose to receive this blaming but she’s still affected.

“Well, I-I’m sorry.” Was all she can say and fled from the room.

 

TBC for chapter 2

a/n: no proofread yet