Chapter 2

The Successful Woman's Guide in Finding yourself

"You know, I still can't believe you went through with this, Toni.  You move away from Korea to get a great job, only to quit and move back." Amanda said adjusting in her plane seat. 

"Are you admiring me?" 

"No. What I'm saying is that you're pretty ed in the head." She said smiling. 

I laughed sarcastically and looked around the plane. We were finally on our way to Korea. It'll be the first time in 8 years since I've been back. Even though I was fully African American, I was a South Korean citizen with Korean parents who, still surprisingly, adopted me at birth. I lived in Korea practically my entire life, until Amanda and I decided to move to America together. They were very supportive of the decisions I made in my life, but I already knew they wouldn't be the happiest when they find out that I'm back in Korea with no legit excuse. That's what taking risks is all about, right? 

---------------------------------------------------

I was the first to step out of the taxi. The fresh air hit me head on. I could smell the faint scent of the Korean resturants from around the block. My Grandmother's home was in the middle of the city. Not the cheapest place to buy property and definately one of the least likely places to find a house. It reminded me of my home back in Houston. Urban, busy, high rises everywhere. It was actually good to be home. I already felt refreshed. 

 

    

 

"Are you going to open to door or just stand there and try to look cute?" Amanda yelled from the front door. 

I payed the taxi driver and walked up to the door of the high class, two story home. I knocked on the door and waited patiently. A few moments later, I heard the knob of the door twist.

"Ni, you finally made it!" my grandmother yelped as she wrapped her tiny arms around my neck. 

"I'm so glad you two made it safely." She picked up one of Amanda and I's bag and walked into the house. 

"Halmeoni, you should let us get those." I whined. 

"Nonsense. Go up to your rooms and get comfortable." 

Not arguing, we made our way to the top of the house. My grandmother never bothered moving from the oversized building despite the fact that her children had grew up and moved on. There were three more rooms she really didn't need. 

I neatly tucked my bags into the closet, too lazy to put anything away properly. I changed into a pair of grey leggings and a black t-shirt. I pulled my hair up as I plopped onto the bed. Shortly after, Amanda came walking in, still fully dressed. 

"I'm going to go see my parents. I told them I'd see them as soon as I got to Korea. They're already calling... Persistant." 

"Alright, tell them I said hello." 

I heard her walk down the staircase and out the door. Suddenly, I was overcome with sleepiness. It was still morning, but the jet lag was getting to me. I closed my eyes and began to doze off, thinking of my life to come.

I sure as hell hope the decision to leave everything was a good one. There's no turning back now. I was back home, and I had to make the most of it. Something I didn't do in America.