Chapter 03

Confession Of A Fool

Friendships; they change with time and experience, but the strongest of friendships survive the test of time.

 

Shin Hye POV

School was crazy for both Seohyun and me, but we never failed to have lunch together.

One day, we were having lunch in cafeteria when Seohyun told that she saw a handsome boy in the library.

"He is different from the other boys I know here."

"Wae?" I asked.

"Well, he was sleeping on a desk in the group study area and although everyone stared at him, no one disturbed him.  I kept looking at him while I was studying.  He was so handsome. sleeping Just like a baby."

I laughed and tried to imagine what Seohyun's sleeping prince looked like.  I couldn't concentrate though, because I had just spotted William Jung looking at me from across the room.

Seohyun looked around and spun back in excitement.

"It’s him!" she squealed.  "He's the one I just told you about. He was the one sleeping at the library.  Handsome, right?  I think his name is Yonghwa."

"You mean William Jung?"  I felt unnerved because he was still looking at me.

Seohyun jumped in her seat.  "William Jung? Is he the same William who helped you with the escalator when you first arrived here?"

"Yeah, that's him! I guess his Korean name must be Yong Hwa. He's a third year Bachelor of Music student.  It's his last semester now."

Seohyun smiled.  "He's the guy next door and he's a good neighbour!  Shin Hye, you have to make him fail his subjects so that he stays with us longer."

We giggled at that.

 

Yonghwa POV

I was ordering lunch at the cafeteria when I saw Shinhye sitting at a table with her friend.  I always saw them eating together whenever I went there.

On that day, I chose to sit not too far from Shinhye.  I liked her, and she always got embarrassed whenever I looked at her.

I heard Shinhye laugh.  I looked up at the same moment as Shinhye looked at me.  Her friend whispered something to her which made her look at me again.

Finally, she stood up and walked over to me.

“Hi again, William.  Or is it Yonghwa?”

“You found out my Korean name?”

“Yes.  Would you like to sit with us?

I agreed.

At the table Shinhye introduced me to Seohyun.  The conversation was awkward at first, but it got easier once the girls relaxed. From that day onwards, I never had to eat alone at the cafeteria again.

Shin Hye always Skyped on the apartment balcony at night (from our apartments we could see the park, which made it a nice place to sit).  She didn’t know it back then, but I always used to watch her from my balcony.  She was cute.  I took my coffee out there, and I’d sit and watch Shinhye make happy faces at her computer screen while she Skyped her family.

 

Shinhye POV

When first semester break arrived, I was ecstatic!  I had been so busy with assignments and examinations that I had had no time to enjoy myself.

I planned a little weekend trip around NZ.  I told my plans to Seohyun during lunch time and she agreed to go with me.

I didn’t see Yonghwa during the day.  So that night I knocked on Yonghwa’s apartment door to see if he would come.

“Sure!  It sounds great.”

“I’m glad!  You’re more familiar with New Zealand than we are, and to be honest, Seohyun and I need a bodyguard.”

He laughed.

“Okay.  I will be your experienced bodyguard.  Let me know the details and I’ll be there.”

 

Seohyun POV

I was so excited about my first weekend trip around New Zealand!  I woke up early, finished packing my bags, and went to Shinhye’s apartment as we had agreed.

I was shocked to see Yonghwa putting plates on the apartment’s table like he was Shinhye’s boyfriend or something.  I greeted him and then hurried off to find Shinhye who was cooking breakfast in the kitchen.

“Why is he here?” I demanded of her.

She smiled.  “I asked him to join us on our little trip as our guide and as our bodyguard.  I knew you wouldn’t mind.”

“Mind?”

We giggled.

Yonghwa then entered the kitchen and asked if there was anything else he could do in preparation for the trip.  He mentioned that he’d rented a van at Apex Car Rental for our trip so that we could rest whenever we wanted during our travels.

As bodyguard and guide, Yonghwa took the wheel first.  We took Highway 01 which crossed over the harbour bridge to Devonport Village.  When we got there, we strolled around the street and bought some Hokey Pokey.  Yonghwa then drove the van to the top of Mount Victoria (Also known as Takarunga) for the best views of the city, harbour and out towards the sea.

But I wasn’t looking at the views, I was looking at him.