Chapter 01

Confession Of A Fool

 

 

New York

 

Shinhye’s POV

 

While getting a lift with my cousin from the JFK airport to New York City, I started to think about everything that had happened over the past two days. I didn’t expect that I would receive such shocking news.

It’s been years since I last heard anything about them: MY BEST FRIENDS. It has been three years since I saw her that day after graduation. It’s been two years since I last saw him; he had just enlisted with the army.

Now I have a wedding invitation card from him in my bag. Should I be happy or sad? I don’t know...But it’s really a shock to me that he is getting married to her, while I’m still holding on to the promise we made two years ago. Is he really getting married this weekend?

 

Author’s POV

 

Flight KOREAN AIR 081, Seoul (ICN) to New York (NY), landed safely at John F. Kennedy International Airport at exactly 1135LT. Amongst the mayhem, a beautiful young girl named Park Shinhye made her way towards the rotating baggage-belt to claim her luggage. Once she had found her suitcase, she then made her way out to the arrivals hall.

Waiting for her was her cousin-unnie, Ham Eunjung. Shinhye was going to be living with her at the family townhouse in the city. In New York, Shinhye hoped that she could forget everything that had happened back in Seoul.

Eunjung was driving her car slowly on the highway leaving JFK when she realized that Shinhye had not spoken since she arrived at the airport.

‘’What were you thinking?’’ Eunjung asked her.

There was no answer.

‘’Shinhye-yah, are you ok?’’ she asked again.

There was a long silence before Shinhye opened to speak.  ‘’Unnie, he is getting married today! He is getting married to Seohyun. Our promise..he forgot...’’

Shinhye burst into tears.

She had been holding in her feelings since she had received his wedding invitation. The truth was that after receiving the devastating news, the world just hadn’t seemed right to her anymore. She had lost her confidence in herself and her work, and she had badly wanted to get away.

Luckily, the flight to New York had originally been scheduled to leave before the wedding day, so she had the perfect reason for not attending it.

Eunjung didn’t know how to cheer her cousin up, so she let Shinhye cry. She wasn’t worried about her because she knew that Shinhye would find a way to be okay on her own.  Shinhye had always been a very independent person. Eunjung was sure that once she had let out all of the sadness in her heart, she would be okay.

At a stop sign, Eunjung looked again at Shinhye. She had stopped crying and was now deep in thought. Eunjung sighed in relief, and turned back to watch the traffic.

At that very moment, a truck rammed their car from behind, and her vision flickered on and off.

Eunjung thought she saw Shinhye go through the windshield.

Someone screamed.

After what seemed like years of darkness, Eunjung could hear panicked voices.

She caught a glimpse of Shinhye on an emergency bed. There was blood on her cheeks.

Darkness returned, and she let it embrace her.

 

 

Seoul

 

Yonghwa’s POV

 

I used to think that one day that she would remind me of our promise. On that day I knew that we would make a future together.

Anger and disappointment filled my heart when I found out that she was happily in love with someone at her work. It’s shameful, but that’s why I’m marrying her best friend. That is why I sent her my wedding invitation. I just want her to know that I’ve moved on too...

 

 

D-Day of The Wedding

 

I’m starting to regret what I’m about to do. I’m wondering if getting married to Seohyun is the right thing to do.

Still, I know that I only have to think of Shinhye having a sweet moment with her lover, and my regret goes away.

Seohyun is sweet, she is beautiful, she is kind and most importantly, Seohyun has loved me ever since I can remember. She appreciates me, not like Shinhye.

There is a saying that it is better to be loved than loving someone...

I can’t remember the rest of the saying because I am interrupted by the arrival of some of the guests.  I greet them and they give me their congratulations. Some of them I know, and some of them I don’t. My parents are busy doing the same thing.

The flow of guests eases up, and I go back to regretting. My eyes scan the entrance hall, and I know that I’m searching for her.

When I fail to find her, I start to dwell on the ‘maybes’.  Maybe she didn’t receive the wedding invitation, or maybe she received it but she didn’t care to come.

My abeoji pats me on the back. It’s time to start the wedding reception.

I take a last look toward the door. I’m still hoping for that someone to come and stop me from getting married today. I need her to remind me of our promise.

 

 

Seoul

 

Seohyun’s POV

 

I look at the mirror again and smile.

‘’You look beautiful today,” I say to myself.

I’m happy at this very moment.  Everything that I hoped for is coming true today. I’m getting my wish granted and an early Christmas present all in one. I smile, and hope that I’ll be this happy for as long as I live.

Suddenly, there is a knock on the door.  The wedding planner has come. I ask if it is time to walk down the aisle but instead she hands me a small gift box with card in it. She says that it is from my chingu.

I’m curious who could that chingu would be, so when she leaves me alone, I slowly open the card and read it.

It’s a letter from Shinhye.  It reads:

'Dear Seohyun,

It's been a long time my dear friend, and I'm sorry for not keeping in touch with you. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Yonghwa is so lucky to have you.

In reply to Yonghwa-chingu's invitation, I'm afraid I cannot be there to celebrate your wedding with you. Be sure that I'll be thinking of you on the special day and wishing you only the best.

Love Shin Hye-yah ^^.’

 

I drop the letter. Panic grips me. There are so many thoughts running through my mind. What did Yonghwa Oppa say to her? What if Yonghwa Oppa still leaves me for her even after we are married? I can’t let it happen, not after everything I have been through to get to this happy moment.

I start shaking. My head starts to hurt.

Why hasn’t someone come to get me?  Isn’t it time to make the walk down the aisle yet?