The Cut

The Leader

Joon Myun stepped out the doors from his apartment building.  It was snowing slightly.  He loved this weather.  Everything seemed so quiet and he could easily take in the beauty of the snow capped surroundings.  He walked toward the subway station near his house.  He had to ride the train for 20 minutes until he finally would arrive at the SM building.

After what seemed like only a couple of minutes, Joon Myun found himself standing in front if the large glass doors that read :SM ENTERTAINMENT KOREA.

He walked in the doors just like he did every day.  He would occasionally wave at people.  He made his way up the stairs to the third floor where practice room five was located.  He had been practicing in this room for years.  And he thought to himself, "Maybe this is the last day."

He entered the room and immediately saw his friend, Yixing.  Yixing was a trainee from China.  He had been with the company  for about 3 years now.  Joon Myun had become close to Yixing after he had learned that they were the same age.  None of the other trainees in the group were the same age as them.

"Hey!" Joon Myun yelled walking across the room to Yixing.

"Did you sleep well?" Yixing asked.

"Ehhhh, good enough.  I am ready for this day to get started!"

"Yeah me too.  There is a rumor that the company is going to announce something big to us today."

"Oh really?  Who told you that?"

"I heard it from Jong In.  He said that he heard it from Taemin."

"Greaaaaat, I wonder what it could be."  Joon Myun said sarcastically while rolling his eyes.  This had happened many times before and the announcement had turned out to be something minor like practice times changing.

Joon Myun was startled when one of the dancing coaches walked into the room and yelled for them all to sit down.

The coach's name was Woo Jae.  None of the trainees knew him well because he usually only worked with the groups that had already debuted with the company. 

"Today we are going to do some dancing.  Yes, some of you will be eliminated today.  But, for those of you that are kept, something great awaits you." Stated Woo Jae.

Joon Myun's stomach dropped.  This sounded serious.  He looked around the room at the other trainees.  They all seemed really nervous.  Five minutes later they were all standing lines ready to perform their choreography.  Joon Myun repeated the moves he had been learning for months.  He tried to do it as best as he could.  Before he knew it, Woo Jae was telling them to sit back down.

"Everyone just wait here.  We will be ready to move on soon."  Said Woo Jae.

Yixing looked at Joon Myun and scooted closer to him.  "We can do this."  Yixing smiled at Joon Myun.  Joon Myun couldn't help but smile softly back. 

As Joon Myun sat there he started talking to the other people in the room as well.  He asked to the tall, handsome, Chinese trainee, Wu Fan, what he did yesterday.

"I went out to eat and then returned to my flat.  I was in bed by 10 last night.  I felt really nervous about today."  Wu Fan said.

"Same here.  I tried to sleep but I kept waking up."  Joon Myun looked over to see Yixing talking to another Chinese trainee named Luhan.  Luhan was sitting with Sehun.  Sehun was the youngest trainee in the group and somehow he had formed a special bond with Luhan.  They were always together.

"Choi Jeongwon!  Please follow me."  Woo Jae had opened the door to the room and yelled for the 17 year old to follow him.  Jeongwon got up and walked slowly toward the door.  Joon Myun could tell his hands were shaking.

An hour passed and Jeongwon did not return.  Just a few minutes before another trainee was called out by Woo Jae. 

Joon Myun sat there nervously trying to act calm while talking to the other trainees.  He glanced at the clock that read 6pm.  He glanced out the window and saw that there was almost a foot of snow on the ledge of the window.  The sun was starting to set.  "When could this be finished?"  Joon Myun asked himself.

Before he had time to contemplate all of the possible answers, the door to the room opened and everyone looked up.  The CEO of the company walked into the room.  Joon Myun stood up quickly and bowed.  Everyone else followed.

"Congratulations!" the CEO said.  "We have made the final cuts.  This group is now officially a group of SM.  Although you do not have a group name yet.  You will all practice and learn choreography together and get ready to debut."

Joon Myun could not help but smile.  He knew he looked like an idiot, but this is what he had worked so hard for.  He caught the eyes of the CEO and he smiled back at him softly.

"I would also like to announce that next week on Monday, you will all be moving into a dormitory together.  You will eat, practice, and sleep together.  So get used to being with each other and find out what makes each other tick."

By now everyone was whispering to each other.  Joon Myun could hear the voices that carried an exciting tone.

"Once again, I would like to congratulate you all on this accomplishment.  You have made it so far, but from now on work even harder.  Now you may all go home and rest.  You have the rest of the week off.  Come to the company on Monday with most of your belongings to move into the dormitory.  One more thing, Joon Myun, I would like to talk to you.  Please meet me in my office in 5 minutes."  The CEO exited the room.

Joon Myun's eyes blinked and he looked towards Yixing.  "What could this possibly be for?"  He thought to himself.  Before heading to the CEO's office, Joon Myun looked at Yixing one more time.  Yixing mouthed the word "Fighting!"