The Beginning

The Leader

Joon Myun woke up to the bright sun spilling through his bedroom window.  His brother had forgotten to close the blind all the way again.  He pulled the blankets over his eyes, but it didn't help.  He layed in his bed looking at the bottom of his brother's bunk thinking about what was going to happen today.

SM was having a talent test today.  Basically, it was for them to weed out the trainees who were not improving in their specific area.  Joon Myun's was singing.  He knew he had some stiff competition within the company.  However, he had recently been praised by the company's CEO. 

Joon Myun was not too worried about being cut.  But he thought of it this way: If he was cut, it was fate.  That is how things are meant to be.  If he was cut he go and audition again at another company until he was accepted.  He had a passion for singing and performing.

Whenever he stood in front of a crowd and sang, his heart would pound and he couldn't help but smile.

He heard his brother's alarm sound from the top bunk.

"Ho Jun!!!  Turn it off"  Joon Myun moaned at his brother.  Today his brother had to travel to Gwangju for his internship.  His brother was taking a semester off from school in order to focus on his internship.

Joon Myun heard his brother slap his phone alarm off.  His brother moaned really loudly and finally started to stir in bed.  Joon Myun went back to focusing on the bottom of his brother's bed.

He kept thinking about what would happen and which of his co-trainees could be eliminated.  Joon Myun yelled after being slapped by Ho Jun.

"Hyung!"  Joon Myun yelled while smiling. 

"You better get up too!  I will make you breakfast before I leave." Replied his brother.

Joon Myun took off the covers and stepped onto the cold hardwood floor of the room.  He sluggishly moved towards the closet to find clothes for the day as his brother made his way to the bathroom.  Joon Myun took out a pair of black Adidas sweatpants.  He slipped them on and then turned his attention to his shirts.  He pulled out a pale purple shirt and pulled it on.  These were the clothes that Joon Myun wore every test day.  Somehow they felt like good luck to him.  He had not been eliminated from the company while he was wearing those clothes.  Then he slipped on the silver bracelet that his mother had given as a present before she had passed away.  Joon Myun stared at the bracelet and quietly said to himself  "Mom, please help me make it through today."

Then he noticed that Ho Jun had entered the room at  some point.  "You still wear that?"

"This is the last thing mom gave to me.  I am going to keep it forever.  When I look at it, I can almost feel her warmth." Joon Myun said.

His brother smiled and walked to the closet to put on a suit.  He was fixing his tie when he told Joon Myun to follow him to the kitchen.  Joon Myun did as he was told.  Joon Myun walked into the bright kitchen.  He sat at the island on a barstool and watched his brother prepare to make eggs.  As Joon Myun stared at his brother's back, he suddenly felt proud.  Then he looked at the refrigerator and saw a photo of his other hyung, Young Gwang.  Young Gwang was going to graduate from university in 2 months.  He was already set to enter a company as a marketing director.  Joon Myun was so proud of his brothers.  They both had their lives set up.  Everything was going for them.

Then Joon Myun thought of the fight he had last night with his father.

"I told you, there is nothing in the future for an idol!  There is no steady income nor were you ever promised that you would debut!  You cannot support yourself by being a singer!" 

Joon Myun's father's face had turned red from yelling at him.  Joon Myun just hung his head.  Tears formed in his eyes.  Ever since his mom passed away, his dad had changed.  His mother had supported him in everything that he wanted to do.  She even drove him to the SM building for practice some days. 

Back then his father was still against him being a trainee, but his mother would calm him down and tell him that "This is what Joon Myun wants.  We should support him."

But after his mother passed, Joon Myun's father was especially mean to him.  In a sense, Joon Myun knew his father was right, but this was something he really wanted to do.  He wanted singing to be his career.  His father took pride in his other two sons, Ho Jun and Young Gwang.

Ho Jun set a plate of eggs and kimchi in front of his brother.  Ho Jun stared at his brother in the eyes and said "Do your best today.  I will be praying for you.  You have both of your brother's support.  We love you."  He flashed one last smile before he headed for the front door.

Joon Myun tried to smile back.  After he heard the front door lock, he went back to eating his breakfast.  Before long, it was time for him to put on his winter coat and scarf.  He then headed for the entrance of the house and looked for his practice shoes.  He found them and slipped them on.  He opened the door and felt the frigid December air pierce his face.  He locked the door behind him and headed toward the subway station.

He muttered under his breath "Let's see what fate has in store." 

-----------------------------------------------

I hope there aren't that many grammatical errors!  I didn't read over it!  Please tell me what you think!