Chapter Three

From the Past

 

“Anyong Ms. Go. How are you doing today?” The security guard opened the grand glass doors for Ara and Yoona.

                “Fine, thanks for asking. So how’s your wife doing? I heard she was laboring a child, congratulations! Whenever you need to take a leave, please do tell me. I know how hard it can be with a pregnant lady in the house, it’s very exhausting to care for them!” Ara smiled as she walked towards the elevator with Yoona timidly trailing behind her friend.

                “Super great! She’s not expecting till later this summer.” The security guard pressed the button to go up.

                “Ah. Well tell your wife I said hi, and maybe I’ll drop by later this week.” Ara glanced at her watch before turning to Yoona. Yoona was staring at the ground awkwardly, as if she thought Ara forgot about her presence.

                “Oh and before I forget, Ki Kwang, this is Im Yoona, one of the new female models. She’s a friend of mine, and please do show her around sometime later!” Ara gestured to Yoona as Yoona smiled at the security guard who supposedly was named Ki Kwang.

                “Hi Yoona-shi. I’m Lee Ki Kwang, the head of the security enforcement. If you have any questions, please do come and ask me!” Ki Kwang stuck out his hand, waiting for Yoona to shake it.

                “Anyong Ki Kwang-shi. Please do spare the formalities, we’ll be working with each other from here on out!” Yoona nodded her head politely before reaching to shake Ki Kwang’s hand.

                “Well, we ought to be going now. Nice chatting with you!” Ara gave a quick hug to Ki Kwang before entering the elevator.

                “Alright! Have a nice day Ms. Go and Yoona!” Ki Kwang nodded before heading over to the front desk. As the two ladies felt the elevator spring upward, Yoona took a quick peek at Ara.

                “I sort of like Ki Kwang. He’s friendly.” Yoona took a quick note of the security guard.

                “Ki Kwang’s like that. He’s very compatible, and as a matter of fact, tons of people enjoy talking to him.”

                “Alright. So will you be giving me a tour?” Yoona asked as the elevator stopped at the seventh level of the building.

                “Mianhae Yoona, I can’t. I’ve got more important matters to attend to. But I’ll leave you to Eunjung, who will be in charge of all the modeling.” Ara led Yoona to the office where everyone in the room greeted Ara. Ara gave curt nods, asking for Eunjung along the way.

                “Taecyeon, where’s Eunjung?” Ara turned to a young man, typing furiously at the keyboard. He had quite a handsome face, with a cleanly cut hair-style, as his dark chocolate colored eyes twinkled at Ara. Yoona perked her ears up because she recalled hearing that name somewhere.

                “She’s in her office, as usual.” Taecyeon’s deep voice threw Yoona off guard. Yoona recognized that voice almost immediately, which she found to be quite odd. Taecyeon’s face was unrecognized by Yoona, but that voice…it sounded like somewhere from her childhood…

~~~~

<>

                “Yoona! Guess what! Appa got me the new kite, and he said we could fly it together today! Won’t it be exciting?” A boy sprinted towards Yoona who was staring off into the forest’s scenery.

                “Neh! Taecyeon Oppa, what happened to your voice? It sounds sort of weird…” Yoona smiled at the tall boy standing in front of her.

                “Appa says I’m a big boy now, and I’m going through puberty! It causes my voice to become deeper! Isn’t it so exciting!?” Taecyeon grinned ear to ear.

                “N-Neh. Let’s go fly that kite!” Yoona snatched the dragon kite from Taecyeon, running away.

                “Yoona! Gimme that back!!” Taecyeon chased after Yoona.

                “Hehehehehe!” Yoona laughed loudly, but in her heart and mind, Yoona was scared for Taecyeon to mature. She was frightened to what would happen to their friendship. Yoona liked Taecyeon more than her best friend and oppa, in fact, she had a major crush on Taecyeon, but Taecyeon didn’t acknowledge that fact.

                “I’m coming!!” Taecyeon finally caught Yoona, tickling her along the way.

                “Hehehehe Oppa! That tickles! Hehehehe!!” Yoona giggled, hoping to herself that one day, Taecyeon and herself would share a family together. But of course, that day never came, for a few weeks later; Taecyeon mysteriously disappeared without a trace of him left behind. Yoona tried confronting Taecyeon’s parents, but they refused to tell Yoona where he went. Of course, Yoona attempted to locate Taecyeon, but never found him, so she slowly began to forget about her oppa who she had liked so much. Until now.

<>

~~~~

                “Yoona?” Ara waved her hand in front of Yoona’s big doe eyes.

                “N-Neh?!” Yoona snapped out of her memories.

                “Good. I thought you died for a second.” Ara remarked sarcastically.

                “Ara-shi, she couldn’t die standing up. As always, the sarcastic Ara I always knew.” Taecyeon laughed while rolling his eyes.

                “Gah. Whatever Taecyeon. We’ll be going now.” Ara stalked off leaving Yoona to nod her goodbye.

                “Oh hey you! You’re Yoona right? I’m Ok Taecyeon; it’s a pleasure meeting you.” Taecyeon grinned at Yoona.

                Before Yoona could reply, Ara dragged her away shouting, “You guys can introduce each other later! I’ve got more important matters to attend to!” Yoona shot Taecyeon a small smile before Ara hauled her away.

~~~~

                “Anyong Eunjung-shi. I’m Im Yoona. I’m really looking forward to working with you!” Yoona beamed.

                “Yoona, we’re all family here in the modeling department, no need to be formal! Now your job is to model, but Ara hinted that you had great fashion taste, so you can help with the fashion designers every now and then. Here’s your desk, if you have any questions ask Taecyeon, who is right next to you. That’s pretty much it.” Eunjung pulled out a chair for Yoona which Yoona sat down. Eunjung stared hard at Yoona before realizing she had to introduce her new employee to everyone else.

                “ALRIGHT EVERYONE. LISTEN UP. WE HAVE SOMEONE NEW, IM YOONA, IN OUR DEPARTMENT AS ONE OF THE MODELS. SO PLEASE, WELCOME HER! MAKE HER FEEL AT HOME, AND IF SHE HAS ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE ANSWER THEM.WHATEVER SHE ASKS, TRY TO HELP HER. THAT’LL BE ALL. PLEASE CONTINUE WITH YOUR WORK.” Eunjung shouted, causing everyone to stare at Yoona. Who would have known Eunjung had such a powerful voice? Yoona thought to herself. Eunjung smiled encouragingly at Yoona before leaving to her own private office. Suddenly, everyone in the room raced over to greet Yoona.

                “Anyong! I’m-“Everyone began, trampling over each other in order to reach Yoona, their new co-worker.

                “Guys, GUYS!” A loud voice boomed. All of Yoona’s co-workers stared at Taecyeon, who was pleased with himself for gaining everyone’s attention. “Alright, we’re scaring Yoona by racing with each other to see who introduces themselves to her first. Give her some space, one at a time. Don’t you guys have work to do? Introduce yourselves later, when there are less people. Oh. And where were we with our introductions?” Taecyeon grinned at Yoona.

                “Psh. Of course Taecyeon would be like that.” Yoona’s co-workers muttered angrily before stomping away.

                “I’m Im Yoona, as if we didn’t establish that already.” Yoona laughed lightly before asking, “So what should I do? Eunjung didn’t assign me anything to do.”

                “Alright, so just go over to Jiyeon and ask her to see some of the fashion designs. She’ll help you from there.” Taecyeon pointed to the young woman across from his table. She’s sort of cute. Yoona thought before nodding to Taecyeon.

                “Neh! Kamsahamnida!” Yoona cheerfully exclaimed, blessed for Taecyeon’s help.

                “No problem.”

                “Anyong, Jiyeon-shi! May I see some of the fashion designs? Eunjung didn’t really leave me anything to do.”

                “Neh. Please, no formalities, or else I won’t show you any of the fashion designs!” Jiyeon joked, handing Yoona an entire sketchbook of fashion designs.

                “Neh! Kamsahamnida!”

                “Alright, so use these drawings as examples and draw some yourself. It’s pretty easy, and the photo shoot is scheduled…hold on…” Jiyeon browsed through the fat black binder in front of her. “Oh. Here it is! You will initiate modeling tomorrow afternoon. Who will be going with you…Let’s see…Ah, Taecyeon Oppa will.”

                 “N-Neh.”

                “Don’t worry, you’ll be fine! Alright, you’re free to go now!”

                “Kamsahamnida Jiyeon!” Yoona bowed politely to Jiyeon before returning to her desk. This will be easy, drawing some sketches…

                “Hi, I’m Hailey Kim! I’m in charge of all the modeling appointments, so if you have any questions about your appointment tomorrow, feel free to come and chat with me!” A sweet voice rang in Yoona’s ear, causing Yoona to look up at the woman in front of her. She had long brunette curls that hung around her small face and a touch of mascara to add a flare to her already-long eyelashes.

                “Hi! It’s nice to meet you Hailey!” Yoona stuck out her hand, awaiting a hand-shake.

                “Well alright, I’ll be going now! Just wanted to come over here for a brief introduction and all.”

                “But before you go, I had a quick question.” Yoona paused, allowing Hailey to have time to nod.              

                “Alright, so will the photo shoot take place in this building?”

                “Of course silly! We have different floors for different departments, and the second highest floor is dedicated to photo shoots! Taecyeon Oppa will show you where to go!”

                “Oh. I knew that!” Yoona laughed awkwardly. “Is Taecyeon O-Oppa the tour guide or something?”

                “Oh, you’re so funny Yoona. He’s actually one of the male models. I thought Jiyeon told you, but I guess not. You two will be modeling for the front page of the newest edition.”

                “Neh.”

                “Mianhae Yoona, I need to go discuss with Eunjung about the next photo shoot! Mianhae!” Hailey shuffled over to their boss’s office.

                “Tour guide? Pft.” Taecyeon snickered from Yoona’s side. Yoona rolled her eyes in reply, trying her best to ignore Taecyeon.

                “Would you look at that? It’s lunch already.” Taecyeon pointed at the wall clock. Yoona looked up for a second before focusing on her work.

                “Aren’t you coming? It’s lunch.” Taecyeon shook Yoona’s shoulder.

                “Where are we going?” Yoona glanced at Taecyeon, bewildered.

                “Taecyeon Oppa, Yoona, you guys coming or not?” Jiyeon gestured towards them.

                “We’re coming!” Taecyeon grabbed Yoona’s hand and led her away.

~~~~

                “Cheers! Welcome to the department Yoona!” Everybody screamed.

                “Ommo! Kamsahamnida!” Yoona wincing a little due to the noise level, but she was glad for her hospitable co-workers.

                “Anyong everybody, what did I miss?” Ara’s voice brought everyone to say in unison, “Anyong Ms. Go.” Except for Yoona and Taecyeon.

                “Hey Ara.” Taecyeon slung his arm around Yoona’s chair, looking somewhat relaxed.

                “Anyong Ara! Please, take a seat.” Yoona pulled out a chair between her and her colleague, Seohyun for Ara to sit down.

                “Oh, please no need for that, I just came by to check up how you’re doing.”

                “I’m doing a-okay!” Yoona smiled, using the term that Ara frequently used.

                “Good! I’ll be going now. Bye everyone!” Ara scanned the table that Yoona was sitting at before whispering quietly into Yoona’s ear.

                “Meet me at the parking lot after work. I’ll see you then!”

                “Bye Ms. Go!” Everybody said harmoniously. After Ara disappeared from everyone’s view, loud mutters spread.

 Finally, Seohyun bravely turned to Yoona and asked, “Oh my gawd! Yoona, how are you on such friendly terms with Ms. Go?”

                “You mean Ara? Friendly terms? What are you talking about Seohyun?” Yoona titled her head in question.

                “Ms. Go, our boss! She’s the head of GGG Entertainment Company!” Seohyun muttered loudly while the rest of Yoona’s workmates nodded their heads vigorously. Yoona was beyond shocked, but she soon recovered given the fact that Ara had the money to own such an elegant car and a fancy apartment. It pretty much made sense. How everyone greeted Ara by Ms. Go, expect for Taecyeon and Yoona, and don’t forget, the money to buy such expensive clothes for Ara.

~~~~

                “Hey, good work everybody! Keep it up! You guys are all free to go now! And shout out to Yoona and Taecyeon—don’t forget the photo shoot tomorrow!” Eunjung looked out downwards from her private office balcony. With that said, Eunjung nodded and returned back to her office.

                “Hey Yoona, you wanna go meet Ara together? I’m hitching a ride from her.” Taecyeon walked over to Yoona’s desk, where Yoona was stacking her papers in a neat order.

                “Neh.” Yoona nodded. Together, Taecyeon and Yoona walked out to the parking lot, but there was this one question that lingered in Yoona’s mind.

                “Taecyeon?”

                “Neh?”

                “How do you know Ara so well? Mianhae for being so curious.”

                “It’s sort of complicated…you see, Ara and I are dating.” Taecyeon chuckled before he realized, “Oh, maybe it’s not that complicated.” But for some odd reason, Yoona’s heart dropped in disappointment.              

                “What are you talking about Taecyeon? Psh. Dating? You wish. Wait. No. That’s gross. It’s called !! Sorry to keep you waiting Yoona with this dork.” Ara playfully shoved Taecyeon away, as she appeared in front of Yoona.

                “?”

                “Neh, . You know, the romantic relationship formed between two close relatives?” Ara explained.

                “Neh, I knew that beforehand, because it happened in the palace-“ Ara clamped her hand over Yoona’s mouth, while smiling nervously at Taecyeon.

                “Don’t talk about that, not yet at least!” Ara said in a hushed, worried tone.

                “Neh…” Yoona’s lip trembled.

                “Whatever happened, mianhae Yoona for that misunderstanding, Ara and I are distant cousins, and that’s it. Nothing more, nothing less.” Taecyeon motioned towards Ara.

                “Neh…” Yoona nodded as if she understood.

                “Let’s go back to my apartment?” Ara suggested as she indicated towards her new Audi.

                “Neh.” On the ride home, Yoona giggled at Taecyeon’s lame jokes, while Ara playfully glared at Taecyeon from the rearview mirror.

                “Oh chillax cousin. Hey, I can’t believe you didn’t even tell Yoona how you were in charge of GGG Entertainment Company. Way to be such a honest friend.” Taecyeon switched subjects, and Yoona was thankful for that. The entire subject of the GGG Entertainment Company had been looming in Yoona’s head for a long time.

                “Neh Ara! Why didn’t you tell me?” Yoona agreed with Taecyeon.

                “You found out?” Ara had a slight tone of annoyance, as if she didn’t want Yoona to know.

                “Neh, sooner or later I would’ve found out.”

                “So what if I’m in charge of one of the biggest entertainment companies in Korea. Do you know how many friends I’ve lost because of this? Starting with Tiff-“

                “Look, Ara, you took me in when I needed someone. I’ll never leave you, no matter what. Who cares if you’re in charge of GGG Entertainment Company? That doesn’t make any sense for anyone to abandon you.”

                “Neh!”

                “Alright, alright. Could I leave you two alone for like an hour or so? I forgot I need to attend a mandatory meeting.” Ara parked her car outside her apartment allowing Yoona and Taecyeon to get out.

                “Neh.” The two of them chorused together, causing them to look at each other.

~~~~

                     “So how did Ara meet you?” Taecyeon glanced at Yoona while she was staring at the TV screen.

                “Oh. Uhm…She met me somewhere in the streets.” Yoona mischievously smiled at Taecyeon who was eating a cup of instant noodles.

                “No, like seriously.” Taecyeon slurped his noodles loudly, causing Yoona to raise the TV volume.

                “We met on the streets, and I'm not joking. She bumped into me, and the rest of it is history. No doubt, I’m really blessed for Ara.”

                “Funny, that’s what happened to me too. Except we were in our teens when we first met.”

                “Wait, you guys met on the streets? I thought you guys were cousins. Or distant cousins.” Yoona switched off the TV, turning all her attention towards Taecyeon.

                “Did I say streets?” Taecyeon laughed nervously.

                “Neh.”

                “I actually meant uhm…” Taecyeon trailed his voice, as his face scrunched with thought.

                “So what’s the story? I’ll tell you mine if you tell me yours.” Yoona suggested, interrupting Taecyeon's thoughts.

                “Neh…But it may sound a bit wild, and you might run away from me…” Taecyeon nodded as he silently agreed with Yoona.

                “I highly doubt it. I mean my story can’t be any more wilder than yours.” Yoona chuckled half-heartedly, but for some reason, Yoona had a bad feeling about Taecyeon’s story.

                “Well…you see…I’m from the past…From the Joseon dynasty to be exact.” Taecyeon heaved a loud sigh, before anxiously glancing at Yoona, hoping she wouldn’t run away from him.

                Yoona stared at Taecyeon with ajar. She was utterly shocked, in fact, she couldn’t move a muscle. The man in front of her was her Taecyeon, her crush, her first love, but he had changed so dramatically that Yoona, herself didn’t know what she felt about him.

                “It’s pretty incredible, don’t you think?” Taecyeon laughed. Little did he know, Yoona was going to-

                Yoona reached over and gave Taecyeon a large bear hug, squeezing him so hard, as if she was afraid of letting go. She repeatedly cried over and over again, “Oppa, oppa!” Until Taecyeon lightly pried Yoona’s arms off his waist.

                “Yoona…are you alright?”

                “I-I-I came from the Joseon dynasty too! I-“ Yoona excitedly nodded, jumping up and down, causing the couch she and Taecyeon were sitting on, to shake. But Taecyeon pressed his finger onto Yoona’s rosy colored lips, shutting her up.

                “No you aren’t. Yoona, stop lying. It’s pathetic! I’ve heard that so many times, just so women can start a relationship with me.” Taecyeon stood up, angry at Yoona, who was timidly staring at him, her lip trembling.

                “No, Taecyeon Oppa, it’s not like that. No, it isn’t!” Yoona helplessly grabbed onto Taecyeon’s sleeve, clinging onto him.

                “Yoona, stop the act. It’s just ridiculous. I’ll be going now, tell Ara that I won’t be staying over. Don’t sleep too late or else you won’t look too good tomorrow.” Taecyeon yanked his arm away from Yoona, walking over to the front door. With one last look at the weeping Yoona, Taecyeon slammed the door close. Yoona burst into loud sobs  as Taecyeon walked away. It’s true, Taecyeon really did change. Instead, he became a jerk. But Yoona never knew that she shouldn’t judge something by how it looks, because when Taecyeon left the apartment complex, he slumped down in the middle of the street, heartbroken.

~~~~

                When Yoona first entered the office with Ara, Taecyeon immediately recognized her, but he had some doubts about it being Yoona. After all, Yoona couldn’t possibly be transported to the 21st century, and perhaps, it was Yoona’s look alike twin. But after her emotional breakdown, Taecyeon knew it was his Yoona, his first love who he loved dearly. The reason? It was a stupid one, but it was a good enough reason for Taecyeon to hold him back from confessing.

                Taecyeon didn’t know if he was good enough for Yoona. He thought she was better than him, by a lot. Of course, being the princess of the Joseon dynasty added to that conclusion, but most importantly, Taecyeon couldn’t forgive himself. Not after he left her.

       ~~~~

hi! sorry for the late update!! >.< i was a bit caught up with this weekend, since its father’s day after all. i'm also watching rooftop prince, but i just finished the first episode, so i'm not making much progress there. kekeke^^ i hope this chapter will make up for my delayed update, since this chapter's length is longer than the usual! i hope you guys enjoy this chapter, with that blow-out at the end..so you see, taecyeon isn't a bad person, he's just a bit stubborn. letting go of a girl like yoona so easily...BUT. this is not the end for TaecYoon fans!! JUST HEADS UP.  i'm sorry if this story isn't very appealing!! :(  i tried updating as fast as i could, and i think my writing skills are going down the drain!! D: BUT ANYWHO, enjoy~ i'll  update soon(: kekeke^^ happy father's day everyone!! :D