Chapter One

From the Past

 

                A day had passed since Yoona was transported into the alien world of the 21st century, and she found herself sleeping in the dark alleys of Seoul, missing the warmth of her bed. With sad memories of her palace, Yoona fell asleep uncomfortably, hoping daylight would come soon. The sound of chirping crickets awoke Yoona several times, causing her to be restless, so Yoona decided to move to the main street of Seoul.

                Often, several commoners that passed by gave Yoona queer looks and disapproving nods before walking away. Yoona was still wearing her favorite dangui and she looked like a disaster, gaining more bizarre glances shot her way. She was displeased by the behavior of the people, and most of all, Yoona hated that feeling of neglect.

~~~~

                During Yoona’s childhood, she always had several girls trailing behind her, looking up to Yoona as their idol. Wherever Yoona turned her head, there was always somebody beside her, whether it was her little brother, or just her maid. Yoona never knew that feeling of ignorance because nobody left her side, and here she was, in the middle of the 21st century, feeling lonely.

~~~~

                “Excuse me mam’, would you mind if you could show me where the palace is? In return, I’ll give you loads of fine silk.” Yoona confronted a middle-aged lady in a workout outfit.

In response, the woman muttered fairly loudly, “Are you some fraud? What palace? Silk? I could buy loads of fine silk for one dollar. Aigo. People these days,” before she walked away.

“Crazy lady,” Yoona rolled her eyes in disbelief before turning to a man in an expensive business suit. “Excuse me, could you please show me where the palace is? I’m lost.” Yoona smiled sweetly, trying her best to be as polite as possible.

“Sorry pretty lady, no can do. There’s no palace in Seoul. Good day to you.” He gave her a curt nod before walking away.

“People are so rude. When I tell Appa about this, they’re all screwed.” Yoona pouted, very upset with the outcomes. She finally decided to give one last shot, after all, three was her lucky her number. Three tries, Yoona. Three tries.

“Excuse-“ Someone bumped into Yoona with great force.

“Mianhae! Are you alright?” A young  woman stared at Yoona, while rubbing her own shoulder.

Yoona was about to reprimand the woman standing in front of her to watch where she was going, but Yoona saw how friendly and sweet the lady looked.

                “It’s alright. I’m fine. Are you okay?” Yoona smiled politely.

                “I’m a-okay!” The young lady returned Yoona’s bright smile but she looked as if she was thinking hard about something. “Uhm, sorry for being so curious, but what’s with the dangui? It’s a very nice one, though it looks like some bomb hit it.”

                “Sorry for being so blunt. That’s me, Go Ara. Always so blunt and straightforward!” Ara beamed.

                Yoona actually began to like the lady in front of her. “Oh, nice to meet you Ara-shi, I’m Im Yoona.”

                “Oh please, spare the formalities. Would you like to go to the coffee shop with me? There you can explain about your costume and all.” Ara led Yoona to the nearest coffee shop, though Yoona was curious about the word coffee. She never heard about of it, ever.

                “Mianhae, but what’s coffee?” Yoona asked, after Ara had ordered two large cups of coffee. One for herself, and the other for Yoona.

                “Chinjia?!?” Ara gasped loudly, causing everyone else in the coffee shop to look directly at her. Ara blushed furiously before lowering her voice.

                “You don’t know what coffee is?!”

                “Mianhae… I don’t.”

                “I’ll explain what it is later, but first, let’s hear why you’re wearing that? After all, that’s what we came for.” Ara pointed at Yoona’s outfit.

                “I come from the Joseon dynasty, and my father is the current emperor. I turned twenty a few days ago, and well, my father had decided to marry me to this unknown prince. So I managed to run away without being caught, and as I ran away, I stumbled upon this wooden box. I was sort of curious, so I touched it, and here I am now, in Seoul, according to your citizen-mates.” Yoona fiddled with a sugar packet placed beside her coffee cup. Ara was silent for a good five minutes, with gaping open.

                “Ommo! Are you alright Ara?” Yoona waved her hand wildly in front of Ara’s beautifully shaped face. To Yoona’s surprise, Ara threw back her head, sending a curtain of brown hazel-colored curls to slap against her chair, while she guffawed.

                “Yoona, that just made my day! You? From the Joseon dynasty? Psh-ya! Stumble across a time machine? You should be a comedian some day!” Ara took a sip of her coffee, before spitting it all on Yoona’s face, giggling like a little child. Yoona, somewhat disgusted, wiped her face off with the sleeve of her garment.

                “Oops! Mianhae!” Ara stifled a giggle before handing a napkin to Yoona, which Yoona gladly took. Ara stole another glance at the woman who sat opposite of her, before realizing how serious Yoona was.

                “Mianhae about my outburst…I just, never heard something so bizarre. It’s not that I don’t trust you, it just seems so…absurd. Mianhae Yoona, I really can’t help you. You’ll have to stay here from now on, because there’s no way I can transport you back to the past, that’s just impossible.” Ara frowned as the smile in her eyes was slowly fading away.

                Yoona’s heart dropped, after hearing Ara reply. There’s a way I can go home. Somehow. Yoona convinced herself. Ara must have noticed the unhappy feelings, because she took Yoona’s hands and placed them into her own hands.

                “Yoona, you’re my friend. You know that right? It’ll be alright, I’ll be here by your side, no matter what. You can even stay at my apartment for the time being, and we’ll go get you some new clothes. Does that sound good?”

                “N-Neh.”

                “Meanwhile, I need to explain what coffee is to you. It’s this…” Yoona was drowned by her upset feelings, but Yoona listened to Ara’s one hour discussion of coffee, and in the end tried some coffee herself. Yoona actually liked the bittersweet sensation of coffee, knowing she’ll come back for more coffee in the future.

~~~~

                 That night, Yoona tossed and turned in the bed Ara had provided, unable to sleep. Yoona was grateful for Ara, because if it wasn’t for Ara, Yoona would be sleeping on the streets once again. Yoona thought about the day’s events, but after going through her conversations she shared with Ara, she felt like she wasn’t lonely anymore. Yoona, with a pleased smile on her face, she finally fell asleep. 

~~~~

hi! so i finished chapter one! i hope you guys enjoy it! i'm sorry if its sort of slow, or it's not very entertaining, because well, yoona is starting to adjust to the 21st  century! i promise, it'll get more interesting later on! >.< also, whatever you might feel about yoona right now, it can all change, because she thinks she's still in charge of everything. i'm sorry if its really bad!! :( i'm working on it!! kekeke^^ stay in tune for chapter two! (: so in case you're wondering what a dangui is, it's this formal garment worn by women on special occasions, and of course, because it was Yoona's birthday a few days ago, she'd be wearing her dangui. below is a link to see a dangui! :D i hope it helps! urm, the rooftop prince, I forgot about that, but I'll try to make it as different as possible!  
Dangui!