*Title Just completely Left My Mind*

Destiny In A Bottle Found At Sea

 

***NOTE***: please excuse any weird words and funny typos :)

 

For weeks, Kyuhyun continued to visit the hospital after school and practice, no matter how late, in hope to see his lover sitting up in bed, looking like his usual cheerful, bubbly self.
But no, every day was the same.
No sign of Jongwoon waking, or giving up.
It was heart breaking to see Yesung just laying still in bed, looking almost dead if it weren’t for the weak, but constant beep of the heart monitor.
Ryeowook, Sungmin, or Heechul would come along sometimes to the visits, but even then, they had their own work and problems to take care of, unlike Kyuhyun.
Yesung was Kyuhyun’s world and life. Kyuhyun needed to take good care of him.

Leeteuk had managed to move Yesung’s debut day to whenever he was ready to be on stage and record.

It’s been exactly one month since the accident, but Kyuhyun still went to visit.
If Yesung’s not giving up, Kyuhyun won’t give up hope either.

 

Kyuhyun was walking back from the hospital 9 o’clock at night, when he passed by a pet store that was preparing to close.

He stopped and back tracked a little, peeking in through the large display window.
Maybe he could get a present for Yesung there since the elder loved animals a lot, but just never had the time to take care of one.

He opened the door and looked up a little when small bells above the door rang out, signaling a new customer.

Kyuhyun greeted the old woman behind the counter that was putting some cat toys away on the shelf, politely, and then proceeded to check out the rabbits first.
He scanned through a lot of the small creatures there, and they were all unique in their own way, but none of them seemed to catch Kyuhyun’s attention.

Kyuhyun wanted something small, cute, but yet fierce and loving like his Jongwoon.

He sighed in defeat when he just didn’t seem to find the right one.
He straightened back up from petting a small beagle, when a quiet voice broke the silence.

“Looking for something specific?”

Kyuhyun turned around a little to look at the speaker, but jumped in surprise and nearly knocked a turtle cage off from its shelf instead.

“Donghae!” He gasped.

“Hello to you too.” The caramel haired male said, raising an eyebrow in amusement at the younger’s reaction.

“You scared me! When were you here? I didn’t see you.” Kyuhyun breathed out, clutching at the left side of his chest where his heart rate picked up.

It wasn’t shocking to see a friend or classmate outside of school, but it was late out, so it was quite unexpected, especially in a large pet shop.

“Oh, sorry. I work part time here for my grandma, and I was feeding the fish in the back of the store.” Donghae shrugged. “Anyways, you gonna answer my question? You’ve been in here for quite some time now and we’re closing soon. The animals need their rest too.” He said, gesturing around him.

“Sorry. Um…….yeah. I want something small…….and special.” Kyuhyun muttered, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

“Hm…..specify some more.” Donghae urged on, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

“Well uh…..something sweet and loving, but yet strong.” Kyuhyun said quietly.

Donghae smirked and motioned for the younger to follow him.
“Let me guess: This is for Yesung?”

Kyuhyun blushed deeply but still nodded once in admittance.

“Then I know just the right animal!” The elder said with a snap of his fingers, before leading Kyuhyun to the back of the store and opened a door that led into a room that looked like a large kennel for animals.

Donghae led Kyuhyun to the back of the room and stopped in front of a small cage.
“This little guy should be perfect.” The elder said, before reaching forward to open the metal door and pulled something extremely small and fuzzy out, and gently handed it to Kyuhyun who fumbled around clumsily with it for a moment.

“So, what do you think?” DongHae asked, putting his hands on his hips proudly.

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow in question before looking down at the small creature, to see that it was a dog. A black Pomeranian to be more correct.

It was extremely small; enough to fit on the palm of Kyuhyun’s left hand.
It’s long, fluffy fur was light and soft at the touch.
It was almost completely black except for its stomach and paws and a bit on the muzzle where it was golden colored.

It stared up at Kyuhyun with large, dark brown orbs, as if it was begging the boy to buy it and give it a happy home.
Its small body was shivering from the cold and a bit scared from the large presence of two human beings before it.
Kyuhyun smiled a little and instinctively pulled the puppy closer to his warm body and cuddled with it, trying to stop its shivering.

“It’s only 3 weeks old, and it was the runt of the litter, so it was abandoned by its parents. But I believe it’ll grow up strong and healthy if it was properly taken care of.” Donghae sighed, watching the intimate scene between Kyuhyun and the small creature.

“Abandoned?” Kyuhyun asked, looking up at the fish lover. “As in….they left her?”

Donghae nodded once and ruffled the puppies head lightly only to get a sneeze from the dog in reply to the gentle gesture.
“It’s a fighter though. A small weakling like him would’ve died within a week after its birth.”

Kyuhyun looked back down at the fluff ball that was still cradled in the crook of his arms as he thought about its similarities with Jongwoon.

“I’ll……I’ll buy it.” Kyuhyun whispered, holding the puppy closer.

DongHae raised an eyebrow in surprise, as if he really didn’t actually expect snarky Kyuhyun to actually buy such a small, vulnerable creature.
“Alright then.” DongHae said, quickly regaining his composure. “He’ll be $500, but I’ll give you 5% off because you’re my friend.” Donghae said, walking him back to the front of the store where the cash register is.

“Oh um,. Thanks. How much will that—“

“10% off because it’s for Yesung and he’s injured in the hospital and it makes a perfect get well present for him.” Donghae continued, typing away on the cash register.

“But you—“

“Another 10% off for taking this little guy. We’ve been trying to sell him. He’s quite a handful to take care of with the other animals.

“But that’s—“

“Hush! Let me finish talking! And another 10% off for being a future idol.”

“Donghae, that’s—“

That’s $325 please, kind sir, and we’ll throw in a collar and leash for it.” Donghae said sweetly, sticking his hand out for a credit card or cash.

“You’re sounding very suspicious Donghae. It’s awfully cheap for such a cute thing.” Kyuhyun frowned, fishing for his wallet in his back pocket all the while eyeing the elder curiously.

“That’s ‘hyung’ for you. Donghae hyung.” The elder corrected with a proud smile. “The dog was actually supposed to be free. We were about to give it away a week from today, but since I’ve found a paying customer for it, why not?” he smirked. “I get money.” He said, but just laughed when he saw the expression Kyuhyun gave him.
“I’m just kidding! It’s only because since you’re giving this to Yesung, why not put some heart into it, and pay for it yourself? Otherwise, if I just gave this to you, and then you gave it to him, it’ll sound more like a present from me.” Donghae said, taking the credit card from the younger.

Kyuhyun tilted his head slightly in thought, trying to put the words together, and then it finally registered. Kyuhyun had to put some kind of effort or give up something to get something back to make the present actually worthwhile.
He gave Donghae a genuine smile in thanks, and the elder just gave him a knowing wink in response and handed him the card back after scanning it.
Donghae went to the back of the store, and came back with a small dog collar and a long leash for it, before helping/teaching Kyuhyun how to put it on the squirming puppy properly.

“Have fun with that thing.” Donghae grinned, opening the glass door for Kyuhyun after he had paid for it with his daily allowance from SUJU entertainment, the small bells above it ringing once again, signaling the younger’s leave.

“Hey, don’t be mean. It’s not a thing.” Kyuhyun said with a frown, taking a step out of the shop.

“Tell me that when you’ve come up with a good name for it.” Donghae smirked, giving the small dog a nudge on the .

Kyuhyun just rolled his eyes and threaded the leashes handle through his long fingers, gently walking the dog out.
“Thanks!” He called out behind him where DongHae still stood by the pet shops door.

 

It took forever for Kyuhyun to get home, because the small dog was a slow runner, unable to catch up with its new masters long strides, it small, stoutly legs struggling to catch up.

 

The first thing that Kyuhyun did when he got back home was collapse onto the couch and closed his eyes tiredly. He was tired of school and practice, but he had to stay strong for Yesung.
This silence and loneliness is when Kyuhyun would miss Yesung the most.
Whenever Kyuhyun would come back from a tiring day since not so long ago, he took up a part time job at a café nearby, and wanted nothing but to just rest with his lover.
As if Yesung knew what he wanted, the elder would shuffle out of their bedroom from studying quietly, and join Kyuhyun on the couch and cuddle with him, not talking at all-Just enjoying the presence of each other and the comforting silence.

Things were just different now though. Yesung had quit his bartending job a couple of months back so he could focus more on his idol career, and Kyuhyun took up a part-time job himself at the café because he felt like he should be providing Yesung the money, not using Yesung’s money, but he never did tell the elder the reason why he took up the job when Yesung asked. It’ll just worry the elder, thinking Kyuhyun will just work himself to the bone when that obviously is Yesung himself.

Kyuhyun had quit his job though a week ago, wanting to spend more time at the hospital with his unconscious lover, hoping he could coax Yesung out of his endless sleep.

Kyuhyun’s moment of silence was broken by a soft whimper and small claws scratching at his pant leg.
His eyes fluttered open again lazily, and he sat back up with a small smile quirked up on his lips, before bending over and picked the small, whining dog up and cradled it in his arms.

“Welcome to your new home. JongWoon will take good care of you from now on if you help protect him for me.”


Kyuhyun groaned in annoyance when his cell phone suddenly went off.
He rolled over a little in search of his phone the floor all the while trying not to squish the sleeping dog that was snuggled up to his side happily. Kyuhyun had somehow managed to fall asleep on the couch with the dog in arm.

The dog woke up either way with an unhappy whine and nipped at Kyuhyun’s fingers that were extending forward for the phone on the floor next to the couch, but Kyuhyun simply just ignored the bite since the dog didn’t even have any teeth yet.

Kyuhyun squinted a little as he tried to read the time and caller ID through his sleepy haze.
It was 2 at night, and why was Leeteuk calling him so late?
He sighed and flipped the phone open, wincing at the sudden bright light, and pressed it to his ear.

“Yoboseyo?” he muttered through closed lips, his voice rough from the lack of sleep.

“Kyuhyun, please….y-you need to come here.” Leeteuk said through the phone.

Kyuhyun frowned and sat up painfully, his back stiff from sleeping on the couch.
“Leeteuk hyung, are you crying? What’s wrong? Where do I need to go?” he asked worriedly.

“I-It’s Yesung. Please, come to the hospital. He’s weak.” Leeteuk cried through the phone.

Kyuhyun immediately scrambled up off the couch, nearly slipping on the slick wooden floors in the process and hung up on his manager without saying ‘bye’.

He fumbled around for a moment with his jacket and shoes, fussing with the zipper and the shoelaces.
He gave up on the shoe laces after 5 seconds and just grabbed the house keys.

Kyuhyun was about to leave when his legs somehow snagged onto something and brought him straight down to the floor with a loud yelp that probably woke the neighbors up.
A string of curses left his chapped lips and he sat back up painfully trying to wrench whatever had tangled around his legs to see that it was a red dog leash.

He mentally face palmed when he looked up to see the newly brought pet sitting in the middle of the living room staring up at him with wide, innocent eyes, its small pink tongue lolled out of its mouth, panting.
He couldn’t leave the young thing alone, could he? No.

He sighed and quickly untangled himself from the long leash, before getting up and grabbed the dog, and went to the first person he could think of that is close and reliable. Ryeowook.

Ryeowook only lived a couple of doors down from Kyuhyun and Yesung’s dorm with Sungmin, so they were basically neighbors since the dorm building their using is under SUJU Entertainment.

Kyuhyun ran up to the door and rang the door bell repetitively, cursing under his breath when he checked his watch to see that it’s already been 5 minutes since Leeteuk had called him.

When the door finally opened to reveal a disheveled and confused Ryeowook, Kyuhyun literally tossed the dog at the smaller male before running off to the elevator calling out over his shoulder: “Take care of her for me please!” before disappearing into the sliding metal doors of the elevator.

“But Kyu—“ Ryeowook trailed off when he knew the younger probably couldn’t hear, or want to hear his complaint.

 

“Who was that?” A voice asked from behind Ryeowook.

Ryeowook turned around to see Sungmin walking out of his own room, but raised an eyebrow in amusement and curiosity when he saw RyeoWook and the small dog in arms.

“Um, it was Kyuhyun. He told me to take care of this……thing.” Ryeowook said, grabbing the dog by the scruff and held it up.

“Aww……don’t be mean. It’s cute!” Sungmin smiled, bouncing over to take the dog from the younger.

“It’s too small to be a……dog.” Ryeowook said with a frown.

“but it’s still not a ‘thing’.” Sungmin said sternly, gently petting the fluffy head.

“whatever. Good night hyung.” Ryeowook shrugged, before walking back into his room and locked the door behind him, not wanting a dog to walk into his room the next morning.

“Wait, Ryeo—“ Sungmin sighed when the door closed, followed by a loud click from the lock. “I hate you!” He called out to the younger, but got no response.
He looked down at the puppy he had in arms. ‘Well, I guess it’s just you and I, puppy. Just you and I.”


Kyuhyun quickly ran through the bleach white halls of the hospital, and nearly ran past Yesung’s room when he skidded to a stop but ended up sliding a bit further than expected because of the slick tiled floors.
Leeteuk saw the younger skid by and quickly grabbed the back of Kyuhyun’s leather jacket to stop him.

“Thanks.” Kyuhyun muttered quickly. “How is he right now?” he asked nervously.

“He’s…..bad. The doctor just checked on him.” Leeteuk whispered and his gaze fell down to the floor sadly. “He might not survive tonight.” He said quietly.

A low growl of frustration escaped Kyuhyun’s throat before he slammed a fist angrily to the wall. He closed his eyes and pressed his forehead against the white wall, trying to calm himself.
This isn’t supposed to be happening.
Yesung’s supposed to be with Kyuhyun forever.
They’re supposed to be happily together on stage.

“Can I…..can I go in?” he asked brokenly, avoiding eye contact with LeeTeuk. He couldn’t look up at his lover’s friend when obviously all of this was Kyuhyun’s fault.

“Yeah.” Leeteuk said quietly and opened the door for him.
Leeteuk wasn’t in there himself because he knew he wasn’t the right person to encourage Yesung.

Kyuhyun stepped into the once again dimly lit room, holding back the side of him that just wanted to collapse and cry his heart, screaming for Yesung to not give up, and shake the lifeless body to wake up immediately.

The doctor that stood next to Yesung’s weak figure looked up from his clipboard and at the broken boy.

“He’s weak.” The doctor said softly. “Jongwoon’s teetering on the very edge now. The chance of him living tonight is very unlikely.” The doctor said, moving aside for Kyuhyun to take a seat on a chair next to the bed where his lover lay.

Kyuhyun gave the doctor a small nod in understanding before gently taking the unconscious man’s hand, nearly dropping it in surprise because of how cold it was, and then gently pressed the small fingers to his warm lips.

“I think you should prepare for the worst now. His bodies giving up on him, it’s not him that chose to lose the battle.” The doctor said with a soft pat on the younger’s back before leaving him alone, closing the room door quietly behind him.

Kyuhyun didn’t bother to acknowledge the doctor anymore, and continued to stare at Yesung’s pale, sleeping face, except he wasn’t sleeping anymore.
 He was dying.

Kyuhyun kissed the cold fingertips softly again as warm tears trickled down his cheeks.
“Hold on longer, Jongwoon, Fight for me, Jongwoon. Please, you’re all I have left.” He rasped out quietly, slowly sliding the small hand so the palm was pressed to his warm cheek.

“You’re mine. We’ve still got forever to be together.” Kyuhyun whispered before pulling away slightly to fish something out of his jacket’s pocket.
He pulled out Yesung’s ring that Kyuhyun had the twin of, and gently slid it back onto his rightful place, back on Yesung’s small, slender fingers.
A perfect fit, just for Kyuhyun.

The ring was given to Kyuhyun when the police found it, and saw the twin of it on Kyuhyun’s fingers, so they assumed that it was the victim’s ring, and handed it to Kyuhyun.

The silver ring glinted upon the elder’s pale fingers when it caught the dim lamp light, causing Kyuhyun’s heart to clench painfully and more tears to come out.

They’re supposed to be together. They’re supposed to be happily together.
They’re supposed to be sleeping in each other’s arms right now, not left all alone-One dying alone, and another left to live alone.

“Jongwoon, stay with me please. Fight for me.” He repeated, leaning down to press his face against Yesung’s chest, listening to the slow and weak heartbeats.

That night, Kyuhyun cried himself to sleep against Yesung’s chest, staying by his lover’s side all night.

“We’re destined to be together.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Someone please make a pretty poster for this story! It would be greatly appreciated!

 

Btw,I'm starting a new Kyusung story called 'Seasol love', and I'll be posting it soon :)