`03

Beautiful Monster

The morning is abnormally peaceful when your eyes flutter open. It's brighter than the previous day and from what you can feel, it's slightly warmer too. Not by much, but you welcomed it with a smile.

It's Saturday now and when you glance at your clock, you notice you're up early. It's 7:09 a.m. and your alarm goes off at 7:15. Yesterday that would have been heaven sent, you would have fallen right back asleep but it was the weekend. And your weekend job was something you could look forward too. The shortest hours, the second best pay and well, not nearly as much work as your two other jobs. Everything was good, really good but when you tossed your blankets off and prepared to rise, you remembered the previous evening.

Jongin. Was he still in the living room? You paused briefly, glancing in the direction of the door with inquisitive, sleepy eyes. There was no sound, barely the whisper of neighbors talking next door but nothing else. You put your feet on the wooden floor. Noticing it was warm rather than cold. You guessed the heater had been in the building. Strange considering it seemed like a warmer morning but disregarding that you stood up. Today you would have a shower and breakfast. You had too. It would be unhygienic otherwise.

Tip toeing across your bedroom, you make it the door. Pressing your ear against the thin material to try and hear something. Nothing but that didn't mean Jongin had left. You unlocked it, preparing for the worse but instead finding a rather eerie sight.

The blanket Jongin had used was folded up neatly in the middle of the floor. Pillow balanced on top while a figure shivered by the big window displaying an okay view of Seoul. Pretty shabby but better than just grey buildings. Jongin turned around when he heard the door open. He looked surprised but way better than yesterday. His face luminous along with his gorgeous, amber eyes. You had never seen eyes like his and the way his dark, messy hair fell into them was quite sultry. Especially with the tan skin and suspiciously pink lips. He was beautiful. A pearl among thousands of dull rocks. " Good morning " His saccharine voice greeted. A faint smile tracing the killer curves of his mouth. You suddenly felt self conscious in your pajamas and looked down, mumbling " Good morning " under your breath. Really you were embarrassed but Jongin didn't take it that way. He looked down too. Chewing on the inside of his cheek nervously.

Maybe he should have left when he woke up... The way you spoke made him feel utterly unwanted and Jongin hated that feeling. It followed him everywhere and he just couldn't come to terms with it. Not at all. You walked to the bathroom. Disappearing inside with the click of a lock.

He stared with a blank expression. Unsure if this was his cue to get the hell out because he didn't want to leave. He never wanted to leave because everything smelled like you. Naturally pleasant, naturally sweet. He wondered what you could be doing innocently and his eyes widened when he heard the shower turn on.

That meant you were .

His eyes darted back to the window and heat diffused into his face. That was awkward for him. He didn't know why but it just was. He wondered if you felt weird considering he obviously knew then thought about the time. You didn't have any clocks in the living room. Could it be time for you to leave already? So soon....

Jongin unfolded himself and crawled to the blanket and pillow. He curled up with them and took a deep breath. Your scent. He loved it, just absolutely adored it and grinned because he was a strange boy. He never got attached to people by their scent. It was always their face that got him, but you. You were different. You were the sweetest human being he had ever encountered. He wondered why, nuzzling his face into your pillow and realized you probably did that too. His face was indirectly touching yours in a sense. How immature, he thought but that didn't stop him. He clung to your bedding like a toddler. On the verge of chuckling because the whole feel of your apartment was so different from the streets.

The streets were rough and unwelcoming. It was cold, hard and mean. Here it was the total opposite. There was something cozy and warm about your place, maybe it was because he wasn't alone, maybe because you were here. He decided it was the latter and sighed contently. He wished he could stay here. Just sleep in the corner and remain out of your way at all times. He would be a good boy. You wouldn't even know he was there.

Jongin's peaceful thoughts were disturbed though. He couldn't stay. He had something inside him that wanted you. That scared Jongin immediately because he figured that was why he was so attached. Why his body found solace in your personal space. He scrambled from the pillow and blanket. Making safe distance with wide eyes.

He should leave. He should definitely leave now but something stopped him. He heard a soft voice, it was you- humming an old Korean lullaby beneath the buzz of the shower. Jongin had inhumanly acute ears. He heard clearly and was drawn to the familiar tune. The boy smiling as the lyrics consumed him.

He vaguely remembered his mother singing this to him. Not often, but maybe two or three times he had heard it and it stuck to him. He tried to hum along but failed. It sounded serene coming from you and he melted into the adjacent wall. Images of his family flooding his thoughts. His mother, his father, his two elder sisters and two dogs. Home for Jongin was far from here. He lived literally across the nation and ran away years ago. Why? Well, Jongin doesn’t like thinking about it. The moment he lets those emotions come, he gets angry and Jongin has a terrible temper. He goes into fits of rage that his demon controls.

Jongin panics. Covering his ears and crawling away from the bathroom. He wanted you to stop. It only reminds him of his past and he doesn’t want that. His past infuriates him and angry Jongin does horrific things to people around him. He goes for the door- about to run off when your alarm clock starts blaring. It’s loud and he’s ridiculously startled. Cringing backwards like a bomb went off. “ Oh my god “ He breathes, eyes wide as he stares at your bedroom. You had stopped humming to his relief and he heard you calling out to him. “ Jongin? “ You said apprehensively “ Are you still there? “ He wasn’t sure what to do but knew lying only made things worse so he cleared his throat. Rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly “ Uh yeah “ He responded meekly “ Still here “ In the shower you were rinsing shampoo from your hair. Eyes closed as it dripped down your face and neck. “ Can you uh, turn that off? Red button on the left “ You said, loud enough to be heard through the door and over your obnoxious alarm clock. Jongin’s eyes darted to your bedroom and he gulped. “ Yes “ You didn’t respond after that so he creeped into your room. Searching for the source of the screeching with sensitive ears. He avoided your bed for obvious reasons and quickly walked around to your tiny night stand

The red button was difficult to spot, it was on the side rather than on top but when he found it. Jongin pressed it hard. The alarm stopped, there was silence and he paused. Waiting for you to say something, anything. “ Thanks “ You called. Moving on to conditioner which was running close to empty. You would have to buy more soon. “ Welcome “ Jongin said back and he looked at your floor, where the clothes you were wearing yesterday lay crumpled up. A series of strange thoughts flowed into his mind and without thinking twice, he leaned down. Picking up your shirt.

He smelled it. Burying his face into the fabric with a sigh. He had to stop doing this, he really did but he couldn’t. Your scent was addicting. Calmed him yet threw his nerves into a fury of confusion at the same time. For a few minutes Jongin just stood there. Clinging to your worn clothes and hoping you wouldn’t ask him to leave right away. He glanced around your room and noticed it was minimal but cozy. He wouldn’t mind waking up to it everyday. He wouldn’t mind at all.

Slightly dazed Jongin quietly exits your room. Leaving everything where he found it and refolding his blankets. He stacked them nicely and sat in front of the window again. Admiring the already bustling city. It was Saturday, things should be calmer in the morning but still people buzzed around. Cars zooming down the streets. He frowned, suddenly wondering why you lived alone. He could tell you were extremely young. Younger than him yet making it somehow. It puzzled Jongin and before he knew it, his eyebrows furrowed and the shower stopped.

His head whips in the bathrooms direction. Eyes peeled and ears picking up the slightest whisper. You were drying off already. He could hear the droplets that clung to your body plop onto the tile floor, racing down the drain. Jongin stared back outside. Blinking away the excess moisture that glazed over his eyes.

You emerged minutes later. Wrapped up tight in a red robe that was a bit short, but covered everything just fine. All your makeup from yesterday had been washed clean but Jongin thought it would be disrespectful to gawk at your lack of clothes. He looked down at where the floor met the wall. Noticing any detailing while you darted back to your bedroom. Before you could close the door, he spoke up softly. His deep voice sounding like a melting chocolate. Warm and sweet.

“ Would you like me to leave now? “ He asked, simple to answer but you found yourself tongue tied. You did want him gone, but at the same no. It was strange, really strange but his presence was oddly comforting. Like a night light, reassuring you in the dark. “ Do you want to? “ Stupid question but you asked anyways. Leaning against your door frame with a concentrated gaze. Jongin looked up slowly and slightly turned his head to acknowledge you. He didn’t want to answer, it was obvious if he wanted to leave he would have done so already. You were just putting him on the spot. No assumptions just direct communication. He shook his head, not a whole lot but enough for you to see. It made you sad all of a sudden. He had nowhere to go by the looks of it. You wondered if he had anyone in general. “ You can stay for breakfast “

You tried to sound friendly. Offering a smile that he just barely saw from the corner of his eye. He looked down with a sheepish grin. Mumbling “ Thank you “ Under his breath because he was scared of his voice cracking like a prepubescent boy. You nodded, closing your bedroom door and getting ready for work.


Jongin felt useless sitting in the corner. He watched you maneuver around your kitchen quickly and wanted to help but knew there wasn’t a enough room. He would just be in your way and more than anything, Jongin did not want to be a nuisance. He smelled eggs, fruit and something else sweet. You were a bit more western than traditional and his tummy said that would was delicious. He waited without a sound. Fiery eyes blinking at your lithe body fluttering around.

The lost boy thought you were very pretty like that. Shiny hair bouncing around, face illuminated by the morning sunlight barely peeking past the clouds. You were humming too. This time a song he was unfamiliar with. Still nice though, he found himself swaying side to side with a shy smile plastered to his face. You noticed it and found yourself smiling too. For what reason? No clue and that’s why you were okay with this stranger in your home. He wasn’t scary now. You could see him, his face and though you two had interacted much- it was clear Jongin wasn’t a bad person. There was a bright feeling to him.

He had a sweet soul.

A subtle glow to his face that you had never encountered before. “ Hey Jongin “ His eyes widened with eagerness. “ Yes? “

“ Can you please grab that table- “ You gestured with a jerk of your chin, Jongin following intently “ And put it riiight there? “ Middle of the living room. He nodded matter of factly. Getting up fast and doing exactly what you told him to do. The low, wenge finish table was heavy- well at least to someone other than Jongin, but he lifted it with ease. Carrying it without strain, which you noticed. Strong guys were attractive. He was no exception. “ Thank you “

“ No problem “ He sat back down attentively. Reminding you a dog dotting on their master. He was eager to please. If he had a tail, you were sure it would be wagging because he seemed proud of himself. That he did good. Those beautiful eyes were incandescent, twinkling like stars prickled on the midnight sky and they were focused on you. Following each movement and twitch. Flattering, you found yourself grinning whenever you glanced at him. All ears and eyes. Waiting for a command. Soon though breakfast was ready. Jongin’s mouth watering since it had been awhile since he consumed human food. You brought four plates to the table, two glasses following with utensils. Jongin didn’t do anything but watch.

“ Come “ You eventually said upon sitting down.

He crawled over quick and looked at you expectantly. Waiting till you begin eating before even touching anything. You could tell he was hungry but restrained himself so he wouldn’t devour everything in one gulp. He seemed to enjoy everything, your evidence being his little “ mmm “ s that would rumble in his chest every now and then. It was nice sharing a meal, better than eating alone and you found yourself watching Jongin every chance you got. He had a cute way of chewing and at the most random times, he would crack a big grin.

“ So uhm “ His face flew up when you spoke. Deer caught in headlights to your amusement. “ Wanna tell me about yourself stranger? “ You asked lightly, drinking water and observing him like a science experiment. He swallowed down what he was eating and thought about what to say for a few moments. “ My name is Kim Jongin “ He began, smiling sheepishly cause he felt awkward saying it so formally. “ I turned 19 in January and I grew up in Gwangju... “ Your eyebrows raised “ Gwangju? “ You repeated “ Gwangju “ He confirmed with a nod. “ I came to Seoul because of some...family disagreements ...regarding my future “ That was something you could definitely relate to and your face fell in sadness. Him too huh? It was quiet and Jongin wanted to know more about you. Something at least and he didn’t feel right asking you, since you had no obligation and he had no right ask. But you spoke up anyways.

“ Well you know my name “ You said slowly, Jongin nodding while looking at you pick at your food “ I’m only 17, graduated a few months ago. “ Only seventeen? His eyebrows furrowed in question and you laughed lightly. “ I got put into school early and well, I’m from Busan “

Jongin grinned. “ I can tell “ You had an accent. He picked up on it the moment he heard you speaking. You just laughed, shoving food into your mouth before continuing “ And I’m in Seoul for the same reason. “ Jongin’s eyes widened though you weren’t looking at him. “ I mean, you know. Family disagreements about what I want to do with my life “ He was staring at you and when you glanced up, he averted his gaze. Back at his plate that was just about empty. So you were alone too, he thought, that wasn’t right. You were so young, too nice to be fending for yourself. It concerned him and when all the food was gone, he had a hard time looking at the door.

You cleaned everything up while he put things back and all too soon both of you were at the door, slipping on shoes and preparing for the day. Jongin was always just a breath behind you. Quiet and solemn, careful not to do anything wrong. He stepped out first, unsure if he should just carry on with his life or wait for you, walk with you out of the building. He did the latter for obvious reasons and walking with him wasn’t nearly as terrible as it was the previous evening. His limp was gone, he looked healthy as a horse. All bright eyes and a stoic expression. He held the door open and once outside, exposed to the chilly air but warm sunlight, you two said your goodbyes. It was rather somber, the way you just murmured and avoided each other’s stare. Like two old friends struggling to reconnect.

You were the first to walk away. Throwing yourself into the swing of things and wondering if you’d run into Jongin again. You were anticipating it for some reason, seeing this boy and his timid gold eyes.


A/n : It's going to get more exciting I swear! Also, sorry for any awkward grammar or spelling mistakes. Feel free to point them out too! And if you're wondering what the lullaby sounds like, here is a DongBang cover of it. Starts at 1:45