`02

Beautiful Monster

It's 11:23 pm when your work day is officially over. The sky is tenebrous, the sidewalks virtually empty and no one roams the streets except people climbing into taxi cabs. You finished the cafe job at 2 o'clock, after it you went straight home. Taking a shower, fixing lunch which was just packaged ramen noodles then preparing for your other job. It was at a restaurant. Nothing too fancy but it was a bit more strict on uniforms and image. Tucked in shirts, pulled back hair, no tattoos or piercings visible and worst of all- ridiculously happy attitudes. It was all tolerable considering it was your highest paying job but afterwards, you had to walk home. No buses ran this late and honestly, 2 blocks wasn't much. The only exercise you got throughout the day aside from working. You cross the street like you always do. Thinking about what in the world you are going to do about getting a drivers license and hopefully owning a car. You're gonna need one if you intend to work and go to school. It's already a pain to think about insurance, gas and payments.

Growing up to be honest. High school was literally the best thing ever and you hate yourself for being one of those stupid kids eager to be on their own. What you would do to have mommy cooked meals, to have a roof over your head that you didn't have to pay for. And the Internet! Oh how you missed the damn Internet and having a cellphone!

You start stomping along the way. Arms hugging your body and eyes scanning every inch of concrete jungle. There are creeps everywhere, your dad once said. Keep your eyes peeled and scream at the top of your lungs if someone shady ever takes a step in your direction. Better safe than sorry, he always said and you agreed. There had been times when you were walking home late night, being followed and rather than being that stupid girl scared of looking ridiculous- you ran like the wind. Screaming and shouting things like " ! " and " Fire! " You spooked people yeah but not once had you been assaulted. Nope. You were smarter than that and paranoid. Really paranoid.

Speaking of which you spin around a few times. Checking to make sure no suspicious looking punks had taken interest in your petite form lost in a big sweatshirt hanging past your hips. The coast is clear. Or so it seems and you hurry along. Silencing your thoughts so you can be aware of everything.....Perhaps pepper spray would be a good investment though. What if a car just came speeding by and snatched you up? Or some masked serial killer popped out of the alley way and took you by complete surprise? You're no Bruce Lee. No way and you're not a track star either.

Huh. You're lucky you're not dead yet.


Jongin is really hungry when 11 o'clock rolls by. He hasn't eaten all day and every second he is reminded by his rumbling stomach. It hurts. It hurts so bad, he swears his digestive acids are trying to eat him alive. It certainly feels that way and soon Jongin has to stop and bend over. He feels nauseated, his skin is also on fire and while he notices this, he realizes his back aches too. He's a mess. And that's when Jongin knows.

He knows it's not just hunger pains- it's something else. That dark force that makes him ill then knocks him out to posses his body. It feeds itself through some sick form of metamorphosis and Jongin knows when he wakes up. He will be full, he will be in pain and he won't remember a thing. Just like this morning. But he doesn't want to do it again. Jongin hates these painful spells and wishes they would just go torment someone else. Why him? What sins must he repay? Jongin stumbles forward. Trying to keep his feet moving and his thoughts going. The nothingness was coming. He could feel it clouding his mind and he didn't want that. Maybe running will make it go away. Maybe it will do something, Jongin doesn't know. He just runs. Well at least tries.

His new shoes pound the pavement loudly. His long legs a blur as well as his entire body. Jongin is a big boy. Extremely so and he intimates people cause he’s just about 6 feet tall with lean muscle rippling all over the place. It's just not normal. He's a monster and he gets weird looks all the time but Jongin is also beautiful. He has this boyish face that captives people. His plump bow shaped lips, his prominent bright eyes that are perfect pools of liquid gold. Long lashes, sun kissed skin and he always has this lost expression. Like a child trying to find their mother. People can't help but feel for him. He might be this strapping young man but it's clear in his stunning eyes that he really is just a boy. A confused, lost boy with no idea what tomorrow has in store for him.

Jongin keeps running.

Even when the pain makes him want to scream- he keeps going. Clutching his stomach and panting. The changes have already begun. The way his hearing becomes bionic, his sense of smell unbelievably sharp and then that other sense. The animalistic one that whispers to him when things will go wrong or he should flee. Jongin can't keep running anymore. He stumbles and collapses. Crashing into the unforgiving floor that seems like it wants to crack beneath his weight. He grits his teeth. His body no longer his own as it twists, trashes and rips. It wants to come out now. His demon. That thing that lives inside him. Jongin tells it to stop. He begs it to go away and it laughs at him. Clawing at the inside of skin with elated snarls.

He's close to giving in when he sees you. A figure ghosting through the streets with a wide eyed expression. But it's not your appearance that strikes Jongin. It's your scent. He smells it from as far as he is and his inner beast wails. It starts commanding him. Get her, it snaps. He sees red. His limbs start moving and he's crawling after you. Bones contorting in wicked ways while moonlight casts ugly shadows. Jongin sees a gazelle when you move. His sick eyes making him believe that you're prey. Lost from your herd and wandering in wolf's territory.

Jongin gets to his feet. Limping like a hungry hyena after you but he doesn't want too. The closer he gets, the more he sees a girl. A human girl and he smells your fear. It's sweet. It's so sweet and feels ic as it flows through his nostrils. She's already terrified. She's practically jogging away and she hasn't even seen him yet. Jongin tightens up his bones. He locks them into place and his master doesn't like that. It gets angry. Really angry and Jongin wants to yell for you to run but he can't.

He can't do anything because restraining this beast takes everything he has. Jongin's soul binds him together. It's pure despite the evil inside and he starts praying random things in his messed up head. Please run away little girl. He cries. Go. Go now.

But your scent is stronger now. The wind blowing back and sending wispy spirals of sweetness his way. You're delicious, his animal declares. It wants to bathe in your blood and Jongin is starting to run again. It takes over in the blink of an eye. It's growling, whining and snarling. Propelling him forward at a blinding speed. Jongin is long past panicking. He is in full fledge hysteria.

Then it just stops. Vanishing like smoke devoured by his free will.His beast abruptly disappears and Jongin is so overwhelmed that he falls again. And he falls loudly, with a yell that scares the living hell out of you a few feet ahead.

Cold fear prickles your spine when you hear a call for help. It's heart wrenching, this helpless cry. You spin around with dinner plates for eyes. Clutching your chest to make sure your heart was still there and hadn't stopped.It's a horror movie scene.

A crumpled mess of a boy on the sidewalk. Twitching in pain and for help. You are too stunned to move the way you want. Feet shuffling backwards as the figure writhes under the flickering streetlight. Your eyes fly around in fear. Looking for someone, anyone who is seeing this too but there isn't one soul to bare witness." Help me " A broken voice rasps." Please " You can tell it’s male. Choked with sobs, strangled with pain. You blink rapidly. Swallowing hard and walking backwards. He's in dark clothing. You can't see his face and its chilling. Your head snaps from left to right. Silently hoping someone else was around to help this man, if he indeed needed help. But you're not going to be the hero or victim tonight.

You start walking away fast, feet brisk and light but he's wailing like a man burning at the stake. Crying for anyone to help him. For god to help him. You glance back at the figure. It's curled up now. You see a face, a brief flash of a young face. He's just a boy. More frightened than you are " Help me. God someone please. " His husky voice pleads and you see him twist onto his back. Gasping for air and convulsing like he's having a seizure.

You're scared out of your mind now. But you can't leave him. Something's terribly wrong. You sense that the closer you get and suddenly there are tears in your eyes. You're about to pee your pants when you see him up close, moving so painfully on the hard ground. You drop your bag on the floor, about to kneel when Jongin feels his demon resurfacing. Surging through his system like a black infection. It tricked him. It tricked you. Jongin is paralyzed and he sees your face. It's scared just like him. Eyes watery, lips trembling. He stiffens all of a sudden and when you reach to touch him, he knows he's going to do something terrible to you. " No! " He roars and you jolt back. Thrown off balance onto your . Black orbs bubble into Jongin's vision. He feels his darkness cradling him and that effortless numbness slowly creeps though his too tight skin " No! Leave! " he shouts at the sky. Back arching off the floor as the beast excitedly tears through his stomach. You scramble back in panic, about to do just that but something isn't letting you.

How can you run away from him? He looks like he's suffering through some horrid, hellish death. You just freeze up. Wanting to him to vanish or you to wake up from a nightmare. " What's wrong? " You cry in confusion. Hot frustrated tears actually streaming down your cheeks as he rolls over and claws at the ground with bleeding nails. He drops his head on the concrete and you whimper, scrambling back a little more. What the hell is going on, your mind screams. What is this " Please tell me what's wrong "

I don't know, Jongin wants to say back but he can't. He just starts panting, grunting and flopping around. You watching nervously with animated brown eyes. His animal is winning. It's close to crushing Jongin and taking over but he wants so bad not to harm you. Even if he body says it does. He knows he doesn't. He doesn't want to hurt you at all and your terrified gaze makes him feel ten times worse. Why didn't you run away? Any sane person would have run away! But you crawled towards Jongin.

You got uncharacteristically close to him and with apprehensive fingers you touched his cheek. It was burning hot, so intense that Jongin leaned into you cause you were so much cooler in comparison. You felt like ice and he began to cry, his monster flinching from the cold. " Sssshh " You managed to get past your trembling lips " It s'okay " you lied. " Sssshh " Jongin's inner turmoil was close to but he was starting to win again. He grabbed your hand, making you stiffen and buried his face into your palm. It was cold, so cold and he felt like fire. Like he was going to give you third degree burns. You stared down at him in shock. Unsure if this was a twisted nightmare or sick joke. " Please don't go " He whimpered into your hand. He curled onto his side, shaking and breathing heavily. You could tell he was still terrified. He didn't want to be alone and your heart felt like it was being wrung of all it's blood. " O-okay " You stutter. Still gawking at him. But you realize you can't stay here. In the middle of the sidewalk. It's just about midnight and you have to work tomorrow. Jongin doesn't let up though. He starts to writhe a little, squeezing your hand and taking these deep breaths that rob him of all his diminishing strength.

You're motionless. Thoughts racing, eyes darting around. He clings to your gentle hand. He cries and you feel a bit lost. Who is this boy? You look around like you're waiting for someone to claim him. The police, the loony bin people, someone. Anyone. But no one is there. Just you and his beat up stranger. " H-hey " Your voice is shaking but strong enough for him to hear. It's soft and even. Some sort of foundation Jongin can grasp onto. He finds the will to open his eyes again. They're hidden beneath his damp, over grown fringe but you know they can see you. You slide your hand from him cautiously, blinking down at his calming face. " Can you tell me your name? " You ask in a murmur. Leaning away from him but observing his small twitches and shivers. The sweltering heat was gone and now cold set in. It set in fast and Jongin didn't like it. He'd rather be on fire than freezing. His teeth clicked as he answered you. " J-Jongin. M-my name issss Jongin " A name, something. You nodded shakily " You live anywhere close? "

You automatically saw the way his face softened and then you finally had the opportunity to look at his clothes. They were ragged. Definitely worn to their fullest and then some. He only had new shoes. Cheap ones, but new. You could tell and it worried you slightly but you didn't know why. His silence answered your question. You bit your lower lip hard, so hard in fact you drew blood.

Jongin could smell it. It was singing for him.

" Okay Jongin " You cleared your throat and got off the ground. Dusting your pants while watching the lone taxi cab that drifted down the street. It passed by slow. Strangely slow but you concentrated on the stranger, on Jongin. He was a mess, a sweaty, gorgeous mess. " Can you stand up? " He didn't answer. Just pushed himself off the dirty ground, grunting with shaking arms. He was unsteady. You grabbed the edges of his jacket so he wouldn't tip over then you had to look up at him. Jongin. Big Jongin. Your eyes got a little wide. He was tall, thick with meat on his bones. You weren’t expecting a model and as you stared at his face, you saw a tired kid. He blinked down at you. Eyelids heavy. It seemed like he would faint. You grabbed his closest arm, shaking it gently. “ My place is around the corner “ You couldn’t believe the words that were coming out of your mouth. Your sane mind was demanding you swallow them back down, but you kept talking. Whispering to him since he was still shaken “ Do you think you can walk that much? “

Jongin didn’t seem too confident. In fact he was looking a little green and without warning he staggered to the left, making you yelp as he vomited. You heard it all splatter on the floor. Your hands flying to your face because you had the weakest stomach. Just hearing him made you dry heave dramatically. “ You have to go to a hospital “ You said quickly “ Like right now “ He was bent over but he looked at you. His face pallid, no lively color to his cheeks or mouth. “ I can’t “ He croaked, his hoarse voice adding to his sickly appearance. You swallowed down what creeped up your esophagus and gritted your teeth. “ Why not? “ He sure as hell he needed it. To be honest he already looked dead. Like a zombie.

Jongin stood up with difficulty and stepped away from his mess. He breathed in the fresh, cold air. Squeezing his eyes shut as he battled his queasy stomach. He hated throwing up. It tasted horrible and smelled just as awful. You stared at his muscular back, wondering if he was well enough to be left alone. “ I have nothing “ He muttered. “ No money, no health care. No nothing. “ His bright orbs met yours as he looked over his shoulder and you shrunk back. Unlike the rest of him, his eyes were bright and alive.

You glanced at the street awkwardly. Realizing Jongin was just as hopeless as you. Maybe more so. He bent over again. Hands on his knees, breathing in and out carefully. What now? You looked at your bag on the sidewalk and grabbed it. Slinging it over your shoulder and clutching it to your side. Jongin didn’t say anything else. He was too busy trying to concentrate on anything but you. From far away he saw just a girl, but up close he saw a soul. “ Yah “ You call out hesitantly. Fingers curled into your sweater. “ You need somewhere to stay tonight? “ Of course he did. He hadn’t slept indoors in weeks, months even. The stabilizing boy turned around. Blinking at you like he was guilty of a crime. “ N-ne “

You gnawed on the inside of your cheek briefly and decided Jongin wasn’t a threat to you. At least not at this moment. “ Come on “ You nodded your head to toward your original path. Goose bumps prickling your flesh when he took a short step in your direction. Jongin was uncoordinated, he slightly stumbled and because you were scared of him falling, you latched onto his thick arm. His muscles were unbelievably hard. Felt like bricks stuffed into his sleeves and he noticed that you noticed. “ I-i’m sorry “ He mumbled “ I’m a little dizzy “ and with that you let go. Staring at him with permanently dilated pupils. This boy could do some serious damage if he wanted...that realization stuck icy needles into your belly.

You nodded understandingly at Jongin. Taking a deep breath before leading the way. He followed like a puppy and every few seconds you would hear him whine, because you walked at a brisk pace. He fell behind, still feeling ill and you didn’t pay attention cause you were busy wondering if he would have another “ attack “ at your apartment. Jongin limped along. His heart squeezing the farther and farther you got ahead. He didn’t like being abandoned. He had a plethora of mommy issues and seeing your long hair swish away ignited a whole bunch emotional turmoil in his chest. “ Wait “ He rasped but his voice was too low and you were lost in thought. “ Wait! “ He tried again but you turned a corner. Disappearing in the blink of an eye.

Jongin whimpered, his body exhausted from his previous struggle. He had to stop. Staggering to a nearby wall which he braced himself against sluggishly. He couldn't catch his breath all of a sudden. He felt like an asthmatic running a marathon, lungs swollen and demanding proper amounts of oxygen. 

He squeezed his eyes shut. Trying to breathe normally though it was hard. He felt a cold coming on. His nose all watery and getting plugged up. You had wandered far away from Jongin in the meantime and didn't notice his absence till you saw a group of men in the corner, huddled and doing god knows what. You slowed down, turning to say something to Jongin but he wasn't behind you. He was gone and you whipped around in fear, not for yourself but him. You didn't think he would survive being so sickly, it was close to winter and the nights would only get colder. More brutal with sunless days and cloudy nights. 

You started walking back. A bit faster with paranoia making you whip around every few seconds. " Jongin? " You called softly. Afraid you'd bring unwanted attention to yourself. The boy was nowhere to be seen and it seemed to get colder by the fleeting moment. You were just about to start running when you turned a corner and spotted a figure leaning against the wall. It was huge, it was Jongin. 

" Hey " You raced down the sidewalk and his head snapped up at the sound of your feet. Relief washed through him. Soothing even his burning lungs that seemed to smolder endlessly. Jongin managed a sigh, so you hadn't left him " Do you need help? " You asked, glancing behind you to make sure nobody had followed you this far. He grunted while standing up and though it was probably a silent no, you grabbed his wrist anyway. Your thumb nowhere near touching your fingers and Jongin stared at the contact in shock. But not in a bad way. Just shock, he thought he frightened you and he did, but other people roaming the streets scared you more at the time being. " I'm sorry for walking so fast. " You began awkwardly " Are you okay to go now? "

He nodded once but as you two began walking, you noticed he had a slight limp. Like he didn't want to put pressure on his left foot. You stopped to look down and he silently cursed because your hair smelled wonderful. Not like flowers or berries- but like you. It smelled so familiar to him. So natural and human like. " Here " You glued yourself to his left side and he hesitantly rested his arm around your shoulders. Applying some weight so he could hobble faster. " Is that okay? " You glanced up at him from the corner of your eyes and saw him nod quickly. He really just wanted to sleep right now. If that meant pushing himself a bit more, he could that even if that meant flinching when your arm came around his waist. Supporting him fully, like an injured team mate. " It really isn't that far from here " You murmured. Jongin swallowing down his whines of pain.

Progress wasn't as fast as you hoped, the tense silence around you two unbelievably suffocating but when you passed that group of suspicious looking men, you noticed Jongin walked a little taller. He forced himself to stop limping and they didn't take a second glance at you. Maybe it his pride but Jongin had that unsettling sense when he spotted the bunch. He knew they wouldn't want to pick a fight with someone has big as him so he held his chin up. Erasing pain from his face until you two had advanced far away.

You took notice, you had nothing else to observe and by the time you arrived at your apartment complex- Jongin was limping again. A few grunts mixed between his heavy breathing. " Almost there " You encouraged lightly and that's when it happened. Jongin smiled at you. A tiny, thankful smile that made you smile back. It really wasn't anything. The essence of a curve to his lips but you saw it in his eyes. The warm glow under his thick eyelashes. You two made it past the front door, quietly drifting through the entrance lobby and shooting for the elevator. It was quick to ding to life and the doors shuttered open fast.

In no time at all you were on the right floor. Silently creeping down the hallway before finding the space that you belonged to you. These particular apartments had key pads instead of doors and when you punched in the correct code, the hidden door knob pushed out. It was strange and hard to get used to but it seemed to amuse Jongin's whose eyes got wide. Good security he thought, he waited against the adjacent wall while you opened the door and flicked on the lights. Everything was still in order. Nothing out of place, you slipped off your shoes and gestured for Jongin to come in.

He entered cautiously, expecting some ambush or something and took off his shoes too. The place wasn't exactly warm, but it was way better than outside. Millions of times better than the streets. " Uhm " Jongin cleared his throat. Realizing he didn't know your name. You didn't seem to take notice of that, too caught up in everything else and you went to your bedroom. Grabbing a pillow and blanket for your uhh, guest. " I have to be at work at 9 o'clock tomorrow okay? You can be out by then, right? " He nodded dumbly. Taking what you offered with shaking hands. " Thank you " He murmured, voice almost inaudible even in the silence. It was already past midnight, people asleep on this floor and every other floor. " You're welcome Jongin " You said and it dawned on you.

He had no clue who you were. Did he need to know? No, not at all. Knowing where you lived was enough to get you killed. Hell, he could do it now. But he hadn't. Wasn't going too. You walked to your bedroom, just about to slide the door when you paused. Half hidden behind it. " The bathroom is right there " You gestured to it " The light switch is there " You nodded in that direction and Jongin stood there. Following your gestures with small nods of understanding. He looked innocent. Slightly bewildered about the entire situation.

It was quiet and then you introduced yourself shyly. Your name immediately burned into his thoughts. He repeated it once and you closed your door. It had a lock and honestly, you had nothing of value. He could take anything. You honestly preferred to wake up to him gone and something worthless gone like an umbrella or bowl. It was way better than having to deal with the awkward kicking out and hoping you have a good life. You were still standing against the door when you saw the lights flicker off. You could hear him getting settled on the floor, curling up in a blanket for the first time in so long. He was staring at your bedroom. Knowing you were standing there, listening to him. He felt embarrassed. Hiding his face in the fabric that smelled only like you. He felt like he was still next to you. Breathing your scent and sharing you air. " Goodnight " He called weakly. Still hiding and surprisingly blushing.

For some reason you smiled when you heard him and in the dark you got into your pajamas before replying softly. " Goodnight "


A/N : Have no idea what I'm doing.