Baby Latte

Moonlight

Our comeback was just more than a week away and we had some free time before starting our agenda on rechecking everything today.  I decided to use my free time to go to Anabel’s, EXO’s national donuts-and-coffee shop, after asking Sehun’s permission.

“Oh, cool. I don’t mind,” Sehun shrugged and smiled lightly. “Say hello from Sehun.”

I was planning to take Chara to Anabel’s.

I left the house earlier and came to the company bringing practically nothing. I haven’t even had my obligatory Beauty Base Zero on. You won’t believe it, but Baekhyun’s right, being a singer made us understand why women loved makeup so much.

I unlocked the identity-secured company door and made my way upstairs after greeting the receptionist attendant and everyone I met on the ground floor. Hadn’t really made an appointment with Chara herself, I was planning on some kind of impromptu hangout.

Hangout, not date.

So I knocked on a practice room door after asking a few people where the new trainees are. Being the sunbae, they soon bowed at me as soon as I opened the door, and I bowed back.

“Can I speak to Hwang Chara for a moment?”

The girls turned their heads to Chara and she herself turned her head to everyone before pointing her nose with disbelieving eyes. “Me?” she hesitated. I nodded.

Chara came to me with cute scurrying steps.

“We’ll be back soon,” I said when she was at the door. “Please work hard!”

“Yes, we will work hard!” The girls said and bowed as I closed the door.

I sighed. “Let’s have some donuts.”

Chara’s eyes widened in negative surprise, as if thinking that I’ve gotta be kidding her.

“I know where we both stand, hoobae,” I emphasized on her position. “It’s just some small chitchat, come on.” I turned around and started walking towards the staircase. I looked back and she was not moving. “Chara, come on!”

She shrugged slightly and followed my lead. We walked down the staircase and outside the building silently, only starting our initially awkward conversation outside at the sidewalk.

“I haven’t met you for so long until yesterday. How are you?” I started. We were both keeping our hands in our pockets. Spring was growing warmer, but not warm enough to my liking.

“I’m good, I’m good. This place is not as bad as what people have been saying, you know.” Chara smiled with her signature warm smile. Summer flowers may even bloom prematurely around her.

“How long have you been in the company actually?”

“Only a few months. They saw me on this year’s school performance, then I auditioned a week later. Didn’t know they would pick me.”

“Any agency would kill to have you. I know you’re good.” I said. We turned our steps and walked inside the café.

“Have your choice, it’s my treat.” I said when we were done waiting in the line. Chara looked up to the lightboard menu overhead.

“Ah, so many new menus here…” she mumbled. “Um, one baby latte please.”

“One baby latte,” the cashier boy said slowly as he typed. “And you, sir?”

“Iced caramel please.”

“No! It’s hot cappuccino!” Chara exclaimed, earning both the cashier’s and my attentions. “It’s baby latte and cappuccino. With two glazed donuts.”

“One baby latte, one cappuccino and two glazed donuts.” The cashier repeated our order.

I glared at her and whispered through gritted teeth. “Chara what the hell—“

“You’re going to have your activities soon and you’re drinking iced coffee. That is not going to happen,” she spat back. My heart softened of her cute reason somehow.

“Takeaway?” he asked. We shook our heads. He mentioned our price and gave our table number. The orders should be there in a minute he said. I paid for our cups and gave freedom for Chara to pick a seat. She chose one sticking to the wall. I remember she never liked sitting in the middle of any room.

“What is it that you suddenly take me on a treat?” she asked.

I smiled to the question and shook my head. “Nothing. Just felt like it.”

“Have you told him?”

“Him who? Sehun? Yes,” I smiled. “He knows you enough to trust you.” I sighed. “It’s been a real long time since the last time we really met. I only caught glances of you in the graduation ceremony.”

“We haven’t talked since the—I mean, last spring,” she smiled.

“You’re not having an appointment or tutored lessons or anything right? I’m afraid I’m ruining your schedule.”

“One baby latte, one cappuccino and two donuts,” the waiter announced softly with a smile. We abruptly turned to him for breaking our conversation.

“Thank you,” we said as the cups were laid on the table.

“Please enjoy,” he said, then left.

“I’m having the practice session I left until noon, and then I’ll have… I forgot, dancing class I guess,” Chara belatedly answered my question after we thought that the waiter was far enough to not care. “You don’t have anything to do today?”

“Just things like checking our costumes and our disc results and things like that. We’ll be cramming practices this whole week.”

“Oh? Good luck to you then,” she said before sipping her super mild coffee. “Did you have time to, like, date?”

“Not really,” I gave a sour smile and shook my head. “We spend a lot of time together though.”

“You should go out,” she said. “Keeps your head clear and prevents clogging at times like this.”

“Maybe you’re saying ‘sleep’ instead of ‘date.’” I joked.

“Right…” Chara nodded and smiled at the joke with me. We spent a few minutes of silence, enjoying our coffee.

“But I mean it Jongin-oppa, do something cute and special for a while. Like, buy him something or take him out or something. You won’t have much time after this week,” Chara smiled.

“I know right,” I shrugged. She was right though. I barely even slept when we promoted.

“See? Come on, your comeback will be soon before long.” Chara sipped her drink again. “Go for it.”