Lion Yawns

Moonlight

I was leaning on the bedroom wall staring outside the window. The night was calm and dim, yet vibrating a peaceful happiness I can’t really explain. Thanks to Sehun I appreciate more of silence now, not that I didn’t before.

Sehun was lying asleep beside me, frozen in time. He does stir, but would usually wake up in the same position he fell asleep. I smoothed his hair, softly, appreciating his being in my life. My training time before we were teamed up felt like it evaporated without use for me not knowing him well.

We came home at slightly past midnight tonight, when we had been coming home at nearly dawn for the past month, still going to shows and at the same time practicing for our comeback. At super hectic times like this, Kyungsoo would oversleep in the morning and we would have to stuff ourselves with either a bowl of cereal, a banana, or any leftover we could possibly find in the fridge. At times like this, I could not thank god more for meeting me with Sehun. He was calming than any cup of warm drink on a cold night.

Sehun stirred in his sleep and turned his body facing me. He always left half of the single bed’s space for me in case I decided to sleep, but most of the time that doesn’t happen, so he is free to roll all over the bed as long as he does not tumble six feet down. There was a bedside railing though, so chances are slim that he would roll down.

I also longed for solitude sometimes, wanting to climb down the bed and sleep on the bottom bed alone, and maybe wake up again and climb up the top bed so Sehun would not be startled of my absence. But that never happened. The trouble of climbing over a sleeping Sehun under such a low ceiling with the risk of missing the ladder steps and falling made me stay still and just slip myself beside Sehun trying to sleep.

Sehun dodged me with his knee. Ouch. I looked down to our feet, then looked to his face, then smiled. How cute. He would make such a great football player, this lovely person.

He suddenly opened his eyes. It scared me, I was totally startled. No, we both were startled. Me for his sudden waking and him for the staring stalker. My eyebrows furrowed in wonder and confusion. I smiled as I witnessed him look about the room wondering his state of consciousness.

“What happened?” I whispered. I cleared stray strands of hair from his forehead, then traced his cheek.

He shook his head in confusion. “I just wake up randomly, as usual.” Sehun leant in and nuzzled his nose into my collarbone. I pulled him close.

“Do you want to watch TV?” I asked.

“No,” Sehun whispered, then snuggled to adjust himself. We absorbed the silence for a while.

“Jongin,” he started.

“Hm?” I answered, pulling my head back to look down to his face.

“What did Luhan hyung say to you at lunch?”

I chuckled and gave a quick peck on his head.

“He did not know that we were dating until you told him today.”

“Really?!” he pulled from me to have a better view. “I told him the way I would tell a person that doesn’t know though, but I thought that he knew already.”

I shook my head to convince Sehun. “He really didn’t know.”

“And then? What else did he say to you or ask you?”

I slightly crouched so we were on eye level with each other. “Hyung told me to love you much because you’re ugly.“

Sehun gasped exaggeratedly on my insult and defended himself. “I’m not ugly!”

“Gnaaw, of course you are!” Sehun was so cute he made me want to mush his face so I took my hand and mush I did. “Huh? Huh my ugly huh?”

“Ya, stop it.” Sehun was still too sleepy to fight, only tapping my hand in place of hitting. He rubbed his own face with his sleepy hand to clear his expressions. He slurred out, “You know, Jongin, sometimes I hoped that going public was as easy as Baekhyun hyung and Chanyeol hyung.”

“I know right,” I chuckled, rather sadly because I totally wished for the same. “But it’s not like they really say it out loud though.”

“But everyone can obviously see that!” Sehun whined. “They’re just so cute.”

“People don’t really believe that they’re real,” I chuckled. “They’re not mushy. They joke around so much they were too weird yet convincing to be true.”

I could see curiosity spark in Sehun’s night-blued eyes. “Then, do the fans think that we’re real too?”

 I smiled and silently laughed at Sehun’s innocent question. “Have no idea, Sehun. Have no idea.”

“I’m real. We’re real. I like you for real.” Sehun said innocently as a matter of fact. I only pulled his face to my chest and knuckled his head softly.

“Go back to sleep.” I said.

“No, you go to sleep.” I heard Sehun yawn big. “Eyebags are cute for Tao hyung, but bad for you.”

I showered his head with knuckles again, causing him to shield himself and asking me to stop the bombardier. “Natural beauties don’t have eyebags, stupid. What time is it?”

“I don’t know…” he said. With eyes closed, he lazily tried to see with his hand and started patting across my face to find the phone behind me. This brat. Sehun managed to find the phone and he put it in my hand. I squinted as the screen turned bright when activated. It was only three in the morning. I think I’ll try to go to sleep.

“It’s three, Sehun. Maybe I’ll go to sleep.”

“Can you?” he asked, running a hand through my hair.

“Hopefully.” I yawned, bigger than Sehun. “I’ll try.”

I closed my eyes and held Sehun tight. I hope sleep could find its way to me, I’m actually sleepy right now.

“Jongin can you hear that?”

We both fell silent as we tried to broaden our hearing. We heard rustling pants, the bathroom doorknob, then an enormous, lion sized yawn.

“Joonmyun hyung!” we guessed, then chuckled quietly so we would not be heard.

The sounds outside fell silent, then we heard our door creak open after silent moments of consideration.

“I heard you guys,” he sang.

We were pretending to close our eyes, smiling wide because it was too hard to content our laughs.

“Whatever,” he sighed, then closed the door. We heard the bathroom door close then laughed our hearts off. We high-fived silently, then went to sleep.