Trigger

Behind the Scenes

Quickly putting my things away I take my laptop out and set it on the desk, I plug in my memory card from my camera and start to sort the pictures. When I was a kid and I had my Polaroid camera I was so excited to post the pictures on my wall. Eventually though I had to settle for a cork board. I’d managed to take so many pictures that my parents felt that my little hobby was becoming an obsession. Little did we know that it’d become my passion. At least when I was little, I’d thought I’d get to take pictures and film all my life. Learning all the things that go along with cameras, and then the cameras excited me.

“Did you get in any great shots?” Auntie Mae asks me knocking on the open door. “Mabel?”

Turning I smile at her, “I did the ones I got of you were the best and I got a lot of pictures of these guys. They were really excited to take them.” I tell her laughing slightly as I move aside so she can get a look.

“Ah, you met 2PM.” She says chuckling, “Good group of boys, a bit rowdy too.” She says as she clicks through them.

“They were really nice.” I tell her as she comes to my favorite one, the six of them are all laughing at something one of them was saying. I like pictures like this. One person telling a story and the reactions on the other peoples’ faces, a life shot. Another one I like as Auntie stops on is of is of the tallest saying something and the others looking at him seriously. 

“You’re talented. They’re all wonderful.” She coos patting my back, “Dong Hoon is home with dinner.” She says brightly. The way she looks is just breathtaking, following her out I smile at my uncle. “Sweetie this is Mabel, Mabel this is your Uncle Dong Hoon.”

“Uncle Hoon will be fine.” He says smiling at me as he takes food out of a bag. “We don’t normally eat out, but Mae figured you might enjoy some chicken.”

Smiling I thank them both for how considerate and kind they are. We three of us sit at the table, Uncle Hoon asks me about my day and I tell him about the great shots I go of a group of boys, and then of the ones of Mae.

“Auntie Mae you and mom have a very Hollywood 50s actress grace.” I compliment her. “I think the pictures I have of you are just amazing, recent and old.” I tell her smiling.

“Oh, you still have the ones you took when you were a toddler?” She asks chuckling. “She’s been taking pictures since she was just a little tot.” Auntie explains. “She has quite the eye.”

“I’ve heard all about your passion, and you met Victor Park, that’s quite the man.” Uncle Hoon says impressed, “He’s an amazing business man as well.”

“I’ve only gotten to speak to him briefly, but I’d really like to see some of his work.” I tell them smiling. Fighting a yawn they both chuckle.

“Well I think you should get some rest. You can get in some more time at the studio after you’ve rested.” Uncle Hoon says chuckling. “Busy first day huh Mabel?” Uncle Hoon says clearing the table.

Fighting another yawn I manage to say, “It was I’m just glad I was able to go out for a little bit. Being on the plane cramped my legs.”

Auntie gets up pulling me down the hall to my room, “Sleep, you’ll need it.”

 

“Come on, time to wake up.” Auntie Mae says shaking me lightly, “I’m heading into work.” I got to catch up on sleep yesterday, but today Auntie is really excited to get me introduced to all of her co-workers, whoever’s hair, makeup or outfits she puts together for, everyone.

“Alright, I’ll get dressed.” I murmur as she shakes me again. Rolling out of bed I look for my suitcase, and the door closing. Standing up I stretch, “Clothes.”

Pulling on a pair of teal denim shorts, a grey cropped shirt with a LA beach. I put on the final touches, earrings, turquoise stud roses, a leather bracelet, a crown ring my parents bought me before I graduated high school, stepping out of my room with my purse, camera and chosen shoes; I set them by the door.

“You look lovely, but your hair…” She says shaking her head, walking over to me she easily braids my hair so that it elegantly rests on my shoulder. “There, now we’ll get some coffee on the way, they normally have a nice breakfast bar at work, so let’s get a move on!” She says cheerily. Smiling I nod my head quickly going to brush my teeth and apply a little bit of makeup, might as well look decent right?

 

Walking in holding my coffee so that if it spills it’s nowhere near my Canon, I smile and say hello to all the people my Mae introduces me to, plenty of camera guys, script writers, producers, actors, actresses, idols, and directors. She knows everyone. “Auntie, you really don’t have to introduce me to everyone.” I tell her in a hushed tone as we enter the dressing room.

“Nonsense, I’ve been waiting for you to get here to show off my pretty niece, and to boot you’re talented and intelligent. Mabel, now this is Karou, she’s my best friend, and Karou this is my niece Mabel.”

Bowing to each other politely we both nod at each other, “It’s nice to finally meet you, Mae has been so excited to have you around. She was buzzing yesterday from excitement of having you here today.” She says laughing lightly. Karou has stunningly dark eyes, nearly black, with hair a golden blonde curling around her face, she’s slender with sharp features.

“You too, I’m really excited to be here.” I tell her happily.

Karou grins, she’s almost painfully beautiful; I just hope that her personality matches. My run with people that are as pretty as she is, normally blotched out by how nasty they are. “You have gorgeous hair, Mae you braided it right?” She asks stepping closer to inspect the plaits. “It’s wonderful.”

 

Eventually though people start coming in, a cart of food comes by serving everyone before moving on too, “Karou don’t you think Mabel should go look around?”

“Maybe with a tour guide?” Karou suggests smiling at me, “The place is huge, and I bet she almost got lost looking around.”

“Oh, well it is a wonderful thing she came back to me.” Auntie says smiling, she’s doing a guy’s hair; I recognize him from some of the shots I took on my first day. He was in the idol group.

“Khunnie doesn’t have a schedule. I’m sure he’d like to show Mabel around.” The guy says, all the while I’m sitting there cleaning the lens on my camera.

“That’s a good idea Junsu, mind getting him here?” Karou asks grinning happily, “Mabel, he’s a wonderful guy. He’ll take you everywhere that you want to go.” She says turning to look at me a moment, holding my camera up in question she smiles at me, snapping a picture I grin happily at the results.

“You’re really beautiful, the light catches perfectly in your hair, and the contrast between your golden hair, pale skin and dark eyes is just stunning.” I tell her looking over the pictures I’d snapped of her.

“Sweetie did you hear us?” Mae asks chuckling, “Your tour guide will be here soon.”

“What?” I ask confused, I’d heard snippets, but I hadn’t heard the confirmation.

Mae, Karou and Junsu smirk at me, snapping a picture I make a mental note to put a title to this one, schemers. Fitting to them, again the surprise on Junsu’s face makes me snap a few more.

“You’re the girl from the other day!” He says excitedly, “Auntie, I had no idea that this was who you were telling us about!” He says smiling.

“Mabel don’t tell me you didn’t introduce yourself.” Mae says smiling at me, an almost knowing look at me, “But then again if you were taking pictures they probably didn’t get a decent look at you either.”

Junsu laughs, “It’s nice to meet you, Auntie has told us a lot about you, oh, right.” He says standing up. “I’m Junsu.”

Smiling at him I wave awkwardly, “Mabel, sorry about the other day, you guys were just so easy to capture, complete naturals.” I compliment.

“Are you here for the internship?” He asks me gesturing to my camera, nodding my head he grins, “Normally it’s a bunch of guys, are you good?” He asks me curiously, earning a soft hit from Auntie.

“Is she good?” She says waving her hand up, “Mabel has talent to spare and has had the passion since she could hold a camera in her hand. Show him sweetie.”

Showing him the pictures I’d taken on our way here I show him my favorites, and places I’ve already thought would be nice to film at, the lighting was good at least in the morning, I’d have to check for later in the day. “These are good; do you still have the ones you took of us?”

“On my computer, I’d used up the memory on the card.” I tell him sort of sadly, “It’s always tough when I have to transfer them or switch memory cards.” I explain to him.

“You called?” The same tall guys says coming into the room, a somewhat bored expression, his dark hair sort of messy, the jeans and casual shirt and tennis shoes don’t take away from how well built he is nor his natural beauty. Snapping a picture Mae smacks my arm lightly. “Oh, you’re back.” He says brightly to me.

“Nichkhun this is my niece Mabel, she’ll be around for the year.” She says introducing us, “Mabel this is Nichkhun, Junsu don’t you have somewhere to be now?” She says turning to look at him quizzically.

“Yeah, but mind him I get a picture Mabel?” He asks holding his phone up, smiling at him awkwardly I throw a peace sign up.

“Mabel you look funny.” Auntie complains, “Ridged, loosen up a little.” She says coming next to me, flustered I panic as she fixes my clothes, hair and even a touch up on my makeup. “There, smile.”

Junsu raises his phone again, lowering it he looks at Nichkhun, “Why don’t you take one together, Tour Guide and touree.” Junsu jokes, Nichkhun comes to my side, looking up at his natural smile I try to mimic it, “There’s a beautiful smile.”

Stepping away I hold my camera up and snap the same smile of Nichkhun’s. “Still with the trigger finger?” He asks smiling.

“Always, I’d hate to miss a shot.” I tell him lowering my camera.

Mae scolds Junsu for sending the picture out. “Yah, don’t go starting trouble, now Nichkhun be sure to take her to the sets.” Mae says turning to us, “Mabel, have fun alright?”

“Yes Auntie, I’ll be back later.” I tell her as Nichkhun leads me out and towards the other side of the building.

“So Mabel what brings you here to Seoul?” Nichkhun asks me brightly ask he points out all the camera people, and their equipment, the sets, and telling me about the shows, music videos that are shot here.

Resisting the urge to take pictures I smile at him, “I want to intern here for film. Taking photos are more of a hobby.” I tell him shrugging my shoulders.

Nichkhun ushers me to the side as costumes are rolled down the halls, “The internship doesn’t start for another month I thought.”

“It doesn’t, but Auntie was really excited to see me.” I tell him shrugging my shoulders. “And honestly the only thing I’m lacking before I graduate is my movie.” I tell him quietly. I haven’t managed to pick my topic, script, or even genre.

“So this would just be experience?”

“And a possible career.” I add for him, “What about you, how did you get here?”

Nichkhun smiles, “I was recruited, I trained for what seemed like forever then I was put in a group, and here I am.”

“I see.” I murmur studying his facial features closer, “Oh, I do see.”

Confused his face twists into curiosity, “What do you see?”

Smiling at him I point to him, “Your obvious good looks, but more than that how well you’re able to be captured. I bet on film you’re still stunning, but nothing like in person.” I ramble as his lips curl into a smile, and his eyes relay joy. “What?”

Shaking his head he nods me to follow him to a waiting car, “Lunch, I’ll treat you to JYPE’s cafeteria, it’s better than it sounds I promise.”

Biting my lip I glance at the building I’d just explored, from the editing rooms, scripts, cameras everything, dressing rooms, rooms full of costumes, all of the back stage magic. “I don’t know,” I say slowly, “I should text Mae…” I mutter taking my phone out, letting her know I’m going with Nichkhun to JYPE for lunch.

She replies for me to just explore the city or whatever Nichkhun takes me to. “So?” He asks waiting for me, not a hint of irritation in his voice, the only thing I can detect is genuine wonder. Following him into the car I sit next to the window looking out at all the buildings, and mainly the people.

“Have you always pursued cinema?” He asks me suddenly ripping my focus from the window to him, his voice is smooth yet rough and I’d be will to bet deeper depending on his mood.

“Always.” I say simply, smiling contently down at my camera I look back up, “Since I was a baby I was taking pictures, or filming. I’ve always been in love with it. Everything about it, the heartbreak, the time, effort, the joy and mostly seeing the look of people when they see what you’ve done. That’s probably why I’ve taken so many pictures; that look of surprise or the people unaware of the picture. It’s like I’m capturing a moment, a memory untainted from what people say.” I say happily.

Nichkhun grins at me, “You sound so happy talking about it. How don’t you have your final movie done?” He asks me tilting his head.

Pursing my lips I look back out the window, “I want my final project to be something important, but it has to be different, it has to push whatever my professors are expecting.” I explain, “And I’ve pushed so much I’m not quite sure where I could begin.”

“Family?”

“Over done, and I really don’t have a story there to tell. I want whatever the movie I do is going to be to be something that shows people just how powerful a camera is, how much it can capture, and most importantly the effect of what it captures on the audience.”

Nichkhun smiles at me again, “It’s rare to hear people talk like that. To most people it’s just a movie.”

“To me it’s my life.” I say as the car comes to a stop, following Nichkhun out and into the building and into an elevator silently I think about my thesis. What can I possibly say to get people to love movies as much as I do, to love what I capture the same way I do?

 

“Taec, meet Mabel, she’s ‘Trigger Finger’.” Nichkhun says taking a seat with a guy eating alone.

Looking up he grins, “Nice to meet you, and even nice to know your name.” He says happily, “I’m Taecyeon.”

“She’s Mae’s niece.” Nichkhun continues to explain, “Here for the internship with Victor.”

“Nice to meet you.” I say calmly, “Nichkhun do mind if we get something to eat? I’m sort of starving.” I tell him fighting my stomach as it wants to let out an embarrassingly loud growl.

“Right, pick anywhere.” He says gesturing around, I pick a random place, getting a ham, avocado, spicy mustard, and tomato and lettuce sandwich with a side of fresh fruit and water, Nichkhun gets something similar.

“Trigger!” More of the same guys in the pictures I’d taken say as Nichkhun and I join Taecyeon at the table. “Hyung you found her again?”

“No, I’m her tour guide; this is Mabel, Mae’s niece.” Nichkhun says to the other two that joined their fellow member for lunch, “Mabel this is Wooyoung and Junho.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you.” I tell them politely, “I hope you don’t think too terribly for me not introducing myself last time.”

They smile shaking their heads, “More over curious, Hyung said you had a pass from Victor, those aren’t easy to get, but then again you are related to Mae, so it couldn’t be too hard. Everyone loves her.” Wooyoung says smiling before taking a bite of his own food.

I hungrily eat my sandwich. “This is fantastic,” I tell Nichkhun, “You’re a great guide.” He just smiles at me, “What? Do I have food on my face?”

The table erupts in laughter as Nichkhun shakes his head, pointing to my face, “You’re just so happy to be eating, were you really dying?”

Gasping in mock shock I put my hand to my chest, “You doubted my hunger?”

“Well you never said anything about food.” He points out.

Puffing my cheeks up I look down at my camera. “Talking about films, photos and the like can side track me pretty bad, to be honest I might have neglected my breakfast to clean the lens.” I say taking another bite.

“How much of Seoul have you seen?” Junho asks me sipping some milk.

“The airport, the studios, JYPE and a coffee shop.” I tell them smiling counting the places I’ve been.

“Wait that’s all?” Wooyoung asks confused.

Taecyeon pats his back, “She’s American.” I turn to look at him quizzically, “It’s how you said ‘coffee’.”

“Right, not with the ‘p’.” I say smiling at him, “But right, I’m from California, Santa Barbara.”

Junho asks me “How do you like it here so far then?”

“It’s been pretty nice; I really like what I’ve seen so far. I’m excited to explore a bit more.” I tell them popping a grape in my mouth. “Any must see local spots?” I ask them, I don’t just want all the tourists’ spots; I’m more interested in local spots if I do any kind of shooting or something.

“Trigger, there are cafés, bookstores, little shops and parks that are really cool.” Wooyoung says happily, “When Chansung and I were trainees and the little free time we had we’d go to them.” He explains with a dreamlike expression.

I smile “Sounds like you haven’t been in a while.”

Wooyoung’s eyes come back to reality and sharpen as he regains his focus, “Yeah, it has been a while, but when I get some free time I’d be happy to take you.” He offers me smiling.

Nodding my head I smile at him. “That’d be great, here let me give you my number so you can get in touch with me a bit more directly.” I say pulling my phone out.

Wooyoung gladly hands me his as we switch numbers. “There I’m pretty sure I don't have schedule on Friday, would that be good?”

“It shouldn’t be a problem.” I say putting my phone up.

“Mabel!” Hearing my name I look up, partly because I’m surprised and then partly from curiosity, seeing Junsu I smile at him. “How was the tour?”

“Fantastic, Nichkhun took me to see everything!” I say excitedly, the buzz from thinking about film quickly taking over, turning to him Nichkhun straightens up and smiles at me, “You are completely and entirely fantastic. Thank you for the tour and lunch.” I tell him smiling.

Nichkhun’s face changes from the seriousness and into joy, “It was a lot of fun, I hope I can give you more tours.” He says smiling at me.

“Trigger?” Another voice says, doing a quick count I realize I haven’t met all the boys properly, I’d been missing one, nice jaw, short brown hair styled to the side guy. “You’ve met everyone?”

Smiling at him I beat Nichkhun and Junsu to introductions, “I’m Mabel, Mae’s niece from America.”

“Chansung, it’s nice to see that you’re still around…at JYPE?” He asks looking at the guys.

Junho takes this one, “Khunnie gave Trigger a tour over at Park Studios, I guess they came here for lunch.”

“Right, Mabel,” Nichkhun stresses my name, “and I were having a good time so I thought I’d treat her to lunch, and it worked out well, everyone knows her now.”

“Right, sorry Mabel, Trigger is catchy.” Junho says apologetically.

Chuckling I shrug my shoulders, “I don’t mind at all.” I tell them smiling, in fact I like the nickname a bit, Trigger.


Sorry for the wait, but I hope you enjoy this chapter!