Interns

Behind the Scenes

Meeting 2PM had been a blessing at the same time a curse. While Victor Park was convinced I’d be useful around many of the other people believe I’d cheated my way in, that I had somehow just waltzed in and stolen something that they’d been hoping to get.

“All of your professors praise you.” Mr. Park says as he watches me sit with the editing team. Putting together an episode was difficult, especially since I wanted to do it my way as opposed to their way. “I can see why, you have quite the eye.”

“Thank-you, but I still have a lot to learn.” I tell him absently going back through the files. “Not to mention an ending work to decide on.” I mutter distastefully, I still haven’t thought of a real way to come up with something for my thesis. It was difficult trying to think of something original or to tell a different story on one already out.

“It’ll come to you.” He says gently. “Though have you given any thought what to turn in for the internship?” He asks me curiously.

“I have, I’m in the process getting the last few scenes in, and to edit it all together.” I tell him still focused on the task at hand.

Mr. Park liked to check in on all the hopeful interns, in the end only four would be picked, I was up against thirteen others.

 We were all working on the same episode together testing how well we work together. So far we were working out great; the script we wrote was fantastic, funny had the serious things and asked the questions that we were supposed to. Shooting was the difficult part. We all wanted to do different things. Mr. Park hadn’t designated a director so when I suggested we chose one they laughed it off. Not exactly what you want to happen when you’re filming. No director meant no vision. I was trying to furiously use the footage that we have, some of it completely unusable thanks to a couple of the people filming. It had been atrocious, not to mention a completely lack of sound on a few of them.

To say the least I was going crazy trying to fix it and to make it presentable to the public, and so far it wasn’t exactly there or anywhere near.

“Alright that’s all for the day. Come back for final edits tomorrow by six in the morning and hand in the final copy by noon.” Mr. Park says getting up. He’d left me to chat with another guy, Donghae, I think.

Getting up from my chair after saving my work I exit the room not willing to wait, a few of them had try making some unwanted advancements, others had voiced what they thought of me hanging out with 2PM. I wasn’t particularly thrilled to be around them.

“Wait Mabel!” Donghae says catching up with me, “Some of us were going to go to a bar to unwind. Why don’t you come?”

Shaking my head I smile at him. “I’m kind of tired and I’m expected to be home soon.” I tell him politely declining. “Maybe next time.” I tell him smiling. He lets me leave no fuss, just being nice. I don’t need nice. What I need is some sleep. I’d been staring at a computer screen all day, I was ready to close my eyes and let them get some rest. I didn’t feel like talking to any more interns who’d been completely dreadful to me once they realized I was an American, an American film student here to try and get an internship.

“Hey you do know it’s dangerous to walk alone like this right?” A familiar voice says, looking up I see Wooyoung smiling at me. “So what’s up?” He asks once I register that he’s here.

“Just on my way home.” I tell him shrugging my shoulders. “What brings you out?” I ask him curiously. I know they can go as they please, but I’d never actually run into one of them out in the city, especially late at night.

“I just kept thinking about how I hadn’t been able to go to some of my favorite places. You got me thinking about them.” He says smiling.

Chuckling I nod my head. “Oh did I?” I ask him in mock shock.

Walking over to me he stands directly in front of me and I see it, that adorable smile, contagious and spreads like wild fire. “Yeah, a late night café, mind joining us?”

“Us?” I ask confused and for the first time taking notice to another smiling at me, I hadn’t even noticed him. “Oh, you guys.”

Wooyoung grins at me, in a hushed tone he glances at Nichkhun before looking at me. “He’s the one that saw you.” He whispers. “I think he wants you to come, but hyung can be a little shy.”

Laughing I look up at him and nod my head “It actually sounds good.” I tell him smiling. Ignoring the part about Nichkhun being shy. Because let’s face it. He does not need anything else adding to how positively attractive he is, it is absolutely unfair how irresistible he is. “I could go for something not so crowded.”

“Well then you are in for a treat.” Wooyoung says walking me over to where Nichkhun is waiting.

I smile at him. “I see you look picture worthy as always.” I tell him smirking.

This had become something I’d noticed about him after we’d gone to lunch two weeks ago. He and the other boys really were like picture perfect. Makeup, no makeup it really didn’t matter. “I wouldn’t think so; I have these nasty dark circles around my eyes.” He says back playfully. “Right Wooyoungie?”

I turn to look at Wooyoung “I like your casual look a lot. Have I told you that? It’s very comforting.” I say ignoring his last statement. I didn’t need Nichkhun telling me otherwise.

Wooyoung just shakes his head at us, leading us down a rather narrow road, with few people walking down. It was a nice little street lined with stores and then homes above the stores. It was homely, you could picture the families living and working together happily. It all seemed surreal that in the world this kind of beauty and homeliness exists. Clean streets, flowers in pots outside stores, the warm air making it seem all the more perfect.

“There’s that look again.” Wooyoung says glancing back at me.

Nichkhun chuckles. “I thought she always had the look on her face.” Scrunching up my face in confusion the pair chuckles together. I hadn’t needed to ask because Nichkhun soon answers my look. “You have that daydream look on, where you start to think up stories of what’s around you.” He explains lightly. “You do it a lot.”

Frowning I stare ahead trying to think of something to say. “Do I really?” I ask finally.

Causing them both to break out in laughter. “Of course you do. It’s rather cute.” Wooyoung says harmlessly, “Right hyung?” Nichkhun nods his head, throwing his arms behind his head care freely, it makes me wish I had my camera with me. I hated not snapping pictures when I wanted to most. “Look here’s another familiar face.” He says smiling.

Nichkhun glances back, a perfect shot, a would-be perfect shot if I had my camera. “Ah, the look of frustration when she wants to take pictures but can’t.” He says airily. “I think you need to get away from the cameras Mabel.”

Rolling my eyes I catch up with the boys pushing both slightly. “You guys need to stop watching me so intently. It’s a little on the creepy side.” I tell them smiling.

“Here we are.” Wooyoung says happily as we turn to face a shot still lit up, with a few people still sitting at the tables drinking things, eating pastries and such. “After you my dear.” Wooyoung says holding the door open for me.

Thanking him I step inside the cozy atmosphere taking over immediately. “This is just darling.” I mutter in English, surprised by how pleasant it is.

Nichkhun comes beside me smiling. “I’m paying tonight.” He says smiling at me. “So order all that you wish.”

Rolling my eyes I go to find a table to set my purse down at, I was tired, just a snack and a drink before I head to Auntie Mae’s and to bed. “What would you like?” They both ask me taking seats next to me.

“Anything you recommend.” I tell them smiling. Both of them are too sweet.  “I’ll pay for myself. You don’t really need to worry about it.” I tell them smiling.

Nichkhun this time rolls his eyes. “As if.”

Wooyoung tells him what to get us, and stays with me while Nichkhun goes to order. “Tough day?”

“Editing mostly completely useless footage.” I tell him rubbing my temples. “We didn’t have a director.” I tell him in a somewhat exasperating tone.

Wooyoung chuckles. “So?”

Staring at him in disbelief I let out a choked cough. “So?! So there wasn’t anyone telling the story. Wasn’t giving a clear vision. We’ll be lucky if we can form a full episode.” I tell him collapsing into my arms on the table.

“Well I leave you with her for five minutes and she’s completely distraught. Wooyoung, I am never leaving you with a woman alone ever again.” Nichkhun jokes setting down a few drinks and sandwiches. “Mabel?”

Looking up I smile. “Just exhaustion. Nothing a little food and drink won’t cure.” I tell him getting up. I hate that look Nichkhun is giving me, only because I can’t decipher it. “So brought you boys out?” I ask them smiling happy to be drinking something not from Park Studios. To be eating something that doesn’t taste like I’ve been sitting all day.

“I wanted to go out but Nichkhun didn’t want me to go alone.” Wooyoung says rolling his eyes. “I told him where I was heading and he offered to come.”

I could hide my delight at the pair. “Are you both always together?”

“No.” They say together matter-of-factly. “I happen to spend a great deal of time with Chansung and Junho too.” Wooyoung says smiling. “Hyung spends a lot of time with Taecyeon.”

“Junsu too.” Nichkhun says shrugging his shoulders. “I go out a lot too.”

Shaking my head I finish my food and drink, throwing the trash up I return to tell them goodnight. “I’ll see you guys around.” I tell them smiling.

“Do you have to go?” Nichkhun asks me.

Surprised I nod my head. “I have six more hours to put together an episode and that seems hopeless. I can use all the time I can get.” I tell them yawning.

“At least let us call you a cab,” Nichkhun says frowning. “I’d hate for you to walk all the way back to Mae’s.”

 

In the end I’d allowed them to call a cab to take me home, getting into my bed was a godsend. Falling asleep as soon as my head touches the pillow.

Upon waking up I see that I have time to shower and to get dressed. Quickly kissing Uncle Hoon and Aunt Mae goodbye I head to the studio. Checking my watch I quickly grab a coffee and a croissant before hailing a cab.

Walking into the ending room having finished my breakfast and early I take my seat waiting for the others to file in.

“In early as always.” Donghae says smiling at me. “It’s a shame you didn’t eat out with us. We had a grand time.”

“Sorry I missed it.” I tell him genuinely, “Maybe next time right?” I ask him chuckling.

“Lunch? We’re all going out together. Well, all if you come.” He says smiling at me. “We’d love to hear about you. You’re a mystery Mabel.”

Smiling at him I nod my head. “I guess if everyone is going I should join in.” I tell him chuckling as the others finally stumble in.

“Morning!” Mr. Park chirps springing into the room like usual. “Alright you have six hours starting now.” He says checking his clock.

Quickly getting to work I edit my scenes and send them to be checked by Sungyeol, who sends me his to check. Eventually we play it to make sure there isn’t any hiccups with the episode and do the final touches together before we send Sungyeol to give the disk to Mr. Park.

 

“So basically you saved our butts with that last bit.” Dongwoo says grinning at Donghae. “That was brilliant to change out the footage without audio with the skit.”

“Yeah, but we only had the skit because of Mabel.” Donghae says patting my back appreciatively while we eat out. “Great idea.”

“Hey, we had to make use of all our assets right?” I ask them smiling.

Sungyeol claps me on the back too. “No, he’s right. Anyways I think next time someone suggest a director we listen to that someone.” He says winking at me. Chuckling I shrug my shoulders, maybe they aren’t complete idiots. “Anyways I hear that the slots will be picked by next month. We’ll be weeded out slowly.” Sungyeol says sighing on a bit of a serious note.

“Yeah, but you know get a chance here is golden regardless if you get the internship or not.” Jaehyo says shrugging his shoulders as he eats his kimchi. “I mean we all know how difficult it is to just get in the running.”

 

Right just to get in the running. I forget how competitive this really is. With fourteen of us and only four spots it’s a little tense. We all want to be friends, some more than others, but we all want the same thing. We want that internship and we want it bad.