The Medium

Behind the Scenes

Looking up at Nichkhun I blink a few times before I pull away, letting out a deep breath I smile at him. “I’m sorry.” I whisper to him trying to figure out what I should say. “I’ll have to work on staying focused.” I mumble slightly embarrassed. I was trying to forget the sudden shock from being pulled into him. I swear I’m going crazy thinking that I felt a jolt. This isn’t a movie. This is real life. Those kinds of things just don’t happen, at least not to me. No.

Nichkhun just gives me a head nod, I stand a little farther away; I’m not quite willing to risk that again, I rather like being able to think clearly. “So what do you want to do now Mabel?” He asks me gently.

Glancing at him I shrug my shoulders. “I don’t know; you’re the tour guide.” I joke as we continue to walk down the street. “Well we could just walk around or is that too risky?” I ask him looking over at him.

Chuckling he shakes his head nodding for me to follow him. “I know some less crowded places we can walk around.” Nichkhun explains. “Anyways though Mabel, are you sure?”

Nodding my head I follow behind him just looking around aware of how close we drift to each other before stepping away, more so on my side than his. “Can I ask you something?” I ask Nichkhun after a while of us just walking in silence.

“Yeah?”

Sighing I glance at him before looking away, curse him, curse his good looks. “Why are you spending your break with me, or whatever this is, I mean you must have other friends. People you’re closer with.” I ramble looking up at the leaves, the green color from the light shining though them is beautiful. “We hardly know each other yet you want to just sit next to me all day?”

Hearing Nichkhun laugh had me looking back at him. Khun looking off on the other side “It is fun to be around you, despite what you think. It may seem strange and it may not make sense but you know why not try it for a little?”

“Are you always this convincing or am I just lucky?” I ask him after a few moments, finding myself smiling while looking up at him I shake my head as he just grins down at me. “I suppose you’re right. Maybe we’ll have fun.” I joke twirling around.

 

Glancing at Nichkhun again from the corner of my eye I smile as he just grins at me. It’s been a couple weeks now that he’s been hanging out with me. Honestly I wasn’t expecting to have so much fun with him shadowing me, but as it turns out I am having a lot of fun.

“Done?” He whispers as I watch the clip again, changing a couple of effects, the music cues and such. “Come on, we’ll be late.” He whispers again after I wave him off.

Fighting off a smile I turn to him, meaning to be more reprimanding but as soon as I turn around he’s looking at me with puppy dog eyes. “That is not fair. You can’t just pull a cute face Khun.” I whine facing back to my work. “Besides I thought you said you wouldn’t distract me.” I say chuckling as I feel him scoot even closer to me.

“But Wooyoung-ah will be upset if we’re not there. He wants us there.” He says nagging me slightly. Sighing I turn to face him. “Please Mabel he’ll never forgive us!”

Biting my lip I glance back at him and then back to my work. “Alright, just this once.” I mumble saving my work. Standing up I smile at Mr. Park apologetically.

“Leaving early?” He asks surprised as I stop in front of him with Nichkhun behind me. “Date night?”

Shaking my head I smile at him. “A show, Wooyoung wants the guys and me to be there.” I explain. “I’ll come in later if that’s alright.” I tell him quickly.

Shaking his head he pats my shoulder. “Just come in tomorrow, you have all day to work on it.” Pausing he looks me in the eye. “You know you don’t have to work straight through on everything.” Nodding to the door he gives me his trademark smile. “Nichkhun get her out of here a little. Mabel have a bit of fun alright?”

Nodding my head I follow Nichkhun out frowning, why are people so insistent that I’m not having fun with what I’m doing? I love all the things I’m getting to do because of the internship, well the competition to get the internship at least. Shrugging it off I watch Nichkhun staring ahead. “Something the matter Khunnie?” I ask him glancing in his direction.

Looking at me briefly he smiles. “No, I’m just excited aren’t you?” Laughing I nod my head agreeing, it is pretty exciting that Wooyoung wants everyone at the first performance of his first solo song. Ah, it really is exciting to think that they’re all branching out. “Oi what did I tell you about spacing out?!” He asks resting his hand on my shoulder.

Shrugging it off I glance at him before trekking on, I find it easier to deal with his mood swings this way. “Not to.” I comment before getting in the car first. “Nichkhun no one is around to take advantage of me. Besides even if someone was you’re here.” I tell him smiling as he slips in next to me. “I trust you.”

Pouting Nichkhun pushes my shoulder lightly. “What about when I’m not around?!”

Scoffing I turn to look at him before shaking my head. “I’d like you to recall that you’re practically by my side all day and even when you aren’t it’s to drop me off at Auntie Mae’s.”  I tell him closing my eyes and leaning my head back against the head rest. “You’re ridiculous you know that?” I ask him smiling. Not hearing him and some kind of witty comeback I just grin even wider, peeking an eye open to see him looking at me, as though to consider some kind of important thought. “Something the matter?”

“It’s just what if I want to take advantage of you?” He asks me frowning. “Then how would you defend yourself.”

Laughing again I face Nichkhun, studying his face I tilt my head and move to take record a video, this will be good. “Alright, Khunnie are you saying I shouldn’t trust you? That I should stop letting you sit next to me while I’m working?” I ask him setting the camera on the console so I’m in the frame as well.

“What are you doing?” He asks frowning at the camera.

Smiling I point at the camera. “It’s so you know how preposterous that idea is. Nichkhun, are you going to take advantage of me while I’m spacing out?” I ask him quietly.

Shaking his head he lets out a sigh. “No, and I’m going to stop anyone who ever wants to.” He promises running a hand through his hair.

Smiling I turn the camera off “Now whenever you get nervous about that you can watch this and know.” I tell him happily.

 

Wooyoung is amazing, dancer, singer, anything. “You are fantastic!” I coo hugging Wooyoung tightly, the guys all chuckling. “Thank you for inviting me!”

Woo sets me down and ruffles my hair. “Not having you around? Crazy, anyways Mae would have chopped my head off if I didn’t.” He jokes smiling at me.

“Mabel how’s the internship going?” Junsu asks once Wooyoung goes to change.

Shrugging my shoulders I smile at him. “Pretty good, there only six of us left now.” I admit, running a hand through my hair I grin at him. “Though this guy over here is making it increasingly difficult to do anything,” I joke jutting a thumb over at Nichkhun, who shamelessly grins.

“Well I guess him spending all day with you is better than him just moping around the apartment.” Taecyeon jokes laughing. “We’re all really hoping you get that internship though.”

“Yeah it isn’t fair that hyung gets to see you all the time.” Chansung complains pouting while glaring at the older male, who is still shamelessly grinning.

“Hyung you’re enjoying this too much.” Junho says laughing at Nichkhun. “Trigger did you get to use the café for your project?” He asks me suddenly. “I know Wooyoung and Nichkhun ran into you a while back ago.”

Nodding my head I smile at him. “I did, I looked around during the day and it was perfect for the final scene. And it is a nice place just to relax at.” I admit chuckling.

“Have you gone back recently?” Chansung asks me curiously. “I mean I know hyung has been showing you around.”

“As a tour guide it is my job to show Mabel some cool places to go to.” Nichkhun interjects. “But we still go to some places frequently.” He says happily. “We should meet for lunch sometime.”

“Yeah!” Wooyoung cheers suddenly stepping out freshly changed. “So to dinner to celebrate right?!” He asks excitedly throwing one arm around Nichkhun and the other around Junho.

 

Watching them all smile I find myself suddenly an outsider in their close knit group. Someone intruding, I know though if I were to say this aloud they’d tell me I’m not. “Come on Mabel!” Wooyoung says turning back to look at me.

Following along next to Taecyeon and Junsu I smile at the four ahead of us. “He’s so excited.” I chuckle watching Wooyoung and Junho both gesture wildly with Chansung and Nichkhun.

“I think it’s the high of being on stage. We get like that whenever we do a show.” Junsu says smiling at them. “It’s sort of the smile you get when you explain something to us.”

Rolling my eyes I shake my head. “Life is all about passion, the drive to do what you love and then from there life is purely about having the guts to do it.” I mumble.

“What’s that?” Taecyeon asks me curiously.

Smiling at him I glance up at the city lights twinkling almost like stars. “My mentoring professor. He always started lectures like that.” I explain. “He’s right, but then he’d say it again at the end of the lecture and ask us, ‘Do you know your passion? Do you know what drives you? Go out and discover it.’” I quote the old man blissfully.

“Do you?” Junsu asks me curiously. “Is your passion really film?”

Sighing I shrug my shoulders. “I’ve always thought of it as film, anything to do with it, but you know he’d say that this is just the medium for the passion. I haven’t found it yet. That’s way the old man hasn’t accepted any of my ideas for my final project.” This is said a bit bitterly.

“Is that why you’re here in Korea?” Taecyeon asks me gently.

Nodding my head I look over at him. “I couldn’t find anything at home so I guess I’m hoping to find it here.” I mumble as Junho runs back to us, a grin etched into his face.

“Wooyoung wants to head back and shower. He’ll meet us at the restaurant.” Junho says happily. “So we can go and order the cake as a surprise.”

“Sounds good, come on Mabel we better hurry. Wouldn’t want Nichkhun fretting about you.” Taecyeon says nodding for us to jog over to the waiting group.

Once we get there I smile at Wooyoung, snapping a few pictures of him and the guys, them insisting that I get in some of them, complying with Wooyoung seeing as he’s so happy. Eventually Wooyoung heads back with Junsu, while we head to some place Woo wants to eat.

“So what were you guys talking about?” Nichkhun asks me while we sit on a terrace waiting for the two slow-pokes to get back already before we order.

Smiling at him I shrug my shoulders. “Nothing really, just some stuff.” I tell him casually, gaging his reaction, not happy might I add. “Just about my professor and some stuff he used to say.”

“He’s rejected several ideas for her final.” Taecyeon butts in grinning at me. “Mabel here is in Korea trying to find her passion for her chosen medium to pursue it with.”

Rolling my eyes I turn my flash on and blind him momentarily. “Whoops.” I comment innocently as the man of the night comes in dressed in casual jeans and a plain shirt, his blonde hair a stark contrast with his tanned skin. Flashing another picture I smile at him, waving and acting all goofy for the purpose of the pictures.

“Mabel can you record a video?” Junsu asks laughing as Junho gets up to join him in the pictures. Nodding my head I switch to recording, focusing on the two now dancing boys, and then on the others joining in happily.

“Come on set it down like you did in the car and get in!” Nichkhun says jogging over to me. Laughing I nod my head, setting my camera down carefully I jog over and dance with the guys, awkwardly might I add. But it was the most fun I’ve had in such a long time.

 

Getting back home I load the video and pictures onto my computer, grinning at the stills.

“I never thought anyone would ever get you in front of a camera.” Auntie Mae says smiling at me. “You look happy.”

Nodding my head I smile at the screen. “They’re a lot of fun.” I whisper, I wasn’t expecting this.

“Mr. Park says you left early. That’s nice to hear.” She says happily. “Your parents were worried you’d spend all day in a studio here.”

Watching her sit on the bed while pulling a pillow close to her chest I smile at her. “I would have if it wasn’t for this guy.” I mutter pointing to Nichkhun. “He was so insistent that we leave early so we make it on time.”

“He’s getting you out of there more and more.” She says chuckling. “It looks like you aren’t even thinking about all those angles, lighting or anything in the pictures. You look like you’re just having a good time Mabel.” Getting up she walks over and my head. “Happy looks best on people. Remember that alright?”

Nodding my head I smile at her. “Thank you for everything. You and Uncle Hoon have been really good to me.” I whisper getting up to hug her.

“Alright, enough mushy, time for bed.” She chides me hugging me even tighter before heading to the door. “Mabel just be careful alright?” Nodding my head I contemplate about what I need to be careful about, what I need to watch out for.

Watching the video of Nichkhun and me in the car once before I slip into bed.


I'm a little late sorry.
So much as happened in the two weeks...
Well sort of ha-ha. Anyways here we are.
I have a lot planned out for this ficlet. Though I'm not sure how long this will
end up being. I'm just glad I know what I want to happened,
anyways let me know what you guys think.

 

Thank-you for all the comments, reading and subscribing to this! <3