Development

Behind the Scenes

 

Packing was slow going; I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to bring with me to Korea. What clothes, shoes, jackets plus I was told I wouldn’t need any filming equipment, but I really be me without them, I don’t want to buy anything like that there either. But at the same time I don’t want my own equipment to get damaged on flight there. “GAH!” I let out a frustrated scream, I know my mother wouldn’t approve, but that’s why I’m packing while she’s shopping.

“Everything alright sweet pea?” My dad asks walking in, he smiles at me affectionately; I’m my parents’ only child so me going away for a year is hard on them, with me being a junior in college, attending school here in Santa Barbra, I live with my parents still, rent is free as long as I pass my classes with A’s, so really it isn’t a bad deal.

“I want to bring my stuff.” I whine looking at my cameras and accessories to go along with them placed out neatly on my bed. “What do you think dad?” I ask turning to face him.

He smiles at me. “My Mabel,” He coos smiling at me pushing my hair back. “They told you that you’d have access to their equipment.” He says softly.

“But dad,” I say haughtily. “Only for supervised projects and those have to be approved! Besides I haven’t even been confirmed to get the internship!” I complain, sighing I glance at my things, I’ll settle for my Canon, putting it in its case I place that in my carry on section. “I’m hoping for some free time so I can film so stuff and take pictures for you and mom.” I explain to him and to me to justify bringing my camera.

Dad sits on my bed and smiles at me, taking my hand he sighs. “Your mother and I are proud of you.” He says happily patting my hand he looks at me, taking one of his hands he places it on my face. “But you know there are more things than films, movies, scripts and all that.” He says quietly, he loves my movies, he loves my passion but he does want me to be on the other side. “Sweetie don’t stay on one side of the camera too long that you miss all the wonderful things young girls like you could be doing.” He says gently.

“Yes papa.” I mumble slightly taken back from that, so maybe I am a little inexperienced in some parts of life. Namely one my dad wants me to have some sort of experience in, love. “I’ll remember that.” I mumble to him smiling, leaning down I kiss his forehead. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” Getting up dad pats my back, “Be careful over there alright?” Nodding my head he leaves, probably to get some last minute things done before I leave, tomorrow, for a whole year.

Sighing I get back to packing, putting in a variety of clothes and things I finally finish. It’s hard to believe in a while I won’t be here, I’ll be in Korea…

 

Hugging my dad goodbye at the airport I smile at him, him wiping some of my tears away, “You’ll be great.” He says smiling at me, he means it too, that’s what I like best my parents really do support me and what I love, I love my parents; I love them and I’m going to miss the so much.

Letting go I look at my mom, “Mom,” I whisper in Korean, she smiles at me. “I love you.” I say hugging her tight. My mother had been unsure if I should go to Korea. She still isn’t ready to let me go yet; on one hand I can understand, but I really do have to leave eventually.

“I love you too my Mabel.” She says quietly, “I’ll miss you, don’t forget to call when you land.” She says with tears in her eyes.

It was hard to walk away from them but I have my future to worry about, stepping to get in line I look back at my parents smiling sadly at them, my dad holds my mother, her smiling at me. The typical movie moment when a child leaves home for the first time, less tears, but for the most part it could be a scene from a film.

It was smooth sailing getting through all the checks and all on and off of the plane.  I stepped out of the airport and into a warm summer morning in Seoul, the fifteen hour flight had me slightly dazed, but not heavily. As soon as I have my luggage I called my mother, who reminded me of Auntie Mae’s address and to be polite and to remember the mannerisms are different here in Korea.

Quickly hailing a cab I take out my baby, my canon, it’d cost me a little more than my plane ticket, neither were cheap. I quickly snap some pictures of the city life, of people walking around, girls and boys in stylish outfits, men in suits, women in beautiful sundresses, older women in slightly frumpy outfits, but everything here is beautiful and lively.

Getting out at the apartment complex where my aunt is living I quickly make my way to her home, arriving I see that she’s well off, the complex is nice and spacious, but then again she is married to a lawyer I think my mother said.

“Mabel!” She screams opening the door, hugging me she kisses my cheek, “I haven’t seen you since you were a baby!” She says smiling.

Looking at her now, I see that I do in fact know her; I have a few pictures of her, all beautiful and nearly identical to my mother. “Auntie I’m so glad you invited me to stay with you.” I say hugging her back, and bowing at my best to her as she releases me.

She smiles at me brightly, “Are you hungry? Tired?” She asks me as she moves me further into the apartment; the place is huge, nice and modern. Everything about the place is nice and slightly fancy. The place its self looks like a posh actress’ home. There are pictures of my Uncle Dong Hoon and my aunt together. There are also pictures of other family members, and I think their son, he’s in Hong Kong interning at a business firm I believe.

I take my camera out as Auntie Mae takes me to the balcony after setting my bags in the guest room, one of the guest rooms. I’ll unpack later; right now I want nothing more than to snap some pictures and a few videos. “It’s beautiful.” I hum as I snap some more pictures of the city life. Auntie Mae agrees and tells me that she thinks I’ll have a wonderful time here. She tells me about all the cafés, parks, shopping and other things I can do while I’m here besides filming.

“I’m heading into work, do you want to come; we can get you properly introduced to everyone.” Auntie Mae says coming from behind me, “Or would you rather sleep?”

“I’d love go.” I tell her smiling, putting my camera in its case and hanging it over my shoulder I smile at her. “Is it alright if I bring my camera?”

Nodding her head she waves me to follow, “We’ll get you some lunch on the way as well, you must be famished.” She says hooking arms with me.

 

Auntie Mae is very friendly, people say hello to her as we enter the building she works in and even more have small conversations with her once we get closer to her studio, she whispers in my ear who they are, actors, actresses, idols, producers, writers, other coordinators; basically she is very well connected. “Auntie you know so many people!” I murmur smiling at her as I sit on the couch snapping pictures of her organizing her things, she’s very glamorous, much like my own mother, I see the resemblance in more than just their looks, the way they walk, talk, and how they do things; Auntie Mae and mom seem to have that 50s Hollywood actress grace that so many people strive to have and can’t, they do so effortlessly. It makes me wonder if they were close…

People come in and out and Auntie Mae does some touch ups, “Who is this?” A man asks surprised seeing me going through my pictures I’d taken, I’m only half aware of their conversation. I have one more memory card; I’ll have to download them onto my computer tonight, switching the memory card I glance up for a second to see a man nearing the end of middle aged.

“This is my niece, Mabel” She says walking over to and pulling my hair out of my face, “She’s in love with cameras and all the things that go into movies and shows.” She explains, looking up I smile and bow.

“It's nice to meet you.” I say smiling politely to the older gentleman.

He grins at me, “Now Mae, when you told me you had a film enthusiast in your family you didn’t tell me that she was a lovely young woman.” He compliments me, “I’m Park Victor.” He says smiling.

“Thank you,” I say nodding modestly, I turn to my aunt so she can move the conversation along being the common denominator.

“Victor,” She says smiling at him as another actress comes in, she smiles at me and says hello to Victor before taking a seat in the chair in front of my aunt, “Do you think you could let Mabel poke around take some pictures and such?” She asks him looking for a comb. “She’s probably dying to look around, and this room is hardly where all the magic is.”

“Auntie, it’s alright, I don’t mind staying in here with you.” I say quickly, I don’t need to intrude on Mr. Park or anyone working.

He looks at me tilting his head, “I suppose not, just be careful.” He says to me, “Here, if anyone gives you any fuss just show them that.” He’d handed me a badge sort of thing on a red and black lanyard.

“Thank you.” I say bowing to him, “I really appreciate this Mr. Park.”

“Please call me Victor, besides I’m sure you’ll have lots of fun.” He says brightly, as he says goodbye his phone goes off causing him to roll his eyes jokingly before heading out.

“Auntie you didn’t have to ask.” I tell her sitting back on the couch, looking at the lunch I’d eaten before looking up at her and the actress still in the chair now with her hair put up elegantly.

“Nonsense, you came here to learn about all of this, now there you go Sang Hee.” She says to the girl, getting up she thanks her turns to me and smiles before heading to a set. “Victor is an important man around here, director, writer all that jazz.” She explains to me, and how kind he is so I have to be sure not to be a nuisance while I go look around and with that she sends me off.

 

Walking around I feel slightly underdressed, here I am in skinny jeans, a slightly oversized white V-neck and there are girls in dresses, elegant, some on the trampy side, others in business suits, men are in suits, dress pants with beautiful button-up shirts, high end clothing, I’ll admit it’s a little intimidating, but not enough to make me go back to Auntie. Snapping pictures of people and things around no one really pays any attention to me so the pictures are showing focus, laziness, happy, excited, sad, and beauty the beauty of the truth.

Walking by a room I see six attractive guys all huddled around a table in what looks like to be a heated staring contest, snapping a picture one of them blinks at me, confused then he smiles at me. “Hey!” He says as I turn to look around elsewhere, I still haven’t found the actual sets or the editing rooms; I’d like to introduce myself to see if I can integrate myself into the place. “Hey, you were taking pictures…” The guy says, holding up the badge I try to move on. “Hold on!” He says laughing a little.

“Yes?” I ask him letting my camera hang from the strap. “I’ll delete the pictures of you guys if you’re upset about me taking them.” I tell him smoothly, honestly the guy was beyond attractive and I’d be sad to delete them, all six of them were, they had a relaxed air around them, a more at home type of feel.

“Nichkhun we’re on.” Another guy says walking over to us, “Hello, mind if I steal him away?” He asks smiling at me.

Shrugging my shoulders I smile at them; without thinking my hands raise my camera and I flash a few pictures of the pair, I like how close they seem, how natural they look as I glance at the pictures. “You guys film well.” I compliment absently.

“I wasn’t ready.” The new comer complains, “Could you take some now?” He asks glancing back before focusing on me again; nodding my head I comply with the request, showing him the new set he grins happily, again I snap it on surprise.

“Sorry, it’s a habit, but I think your friends are getting a little impatient.” I tell them nodding over at the group of men walking over to them.

“Photo Opt without us?!” One says, rather cutely with a pout, clicking on my camera I capture the expression and the ones following, not just on him but on all of them.

Nichkhun, I think, “You have quite the trigger finger there.” He says laughing, “Will we see you again?” He asks me curiously as the others depart.

“Maybe, it depends.” I tell him shrugging my shoulders, “Thanks for letting me take the pictures.” I tell him bowing, “Sorry for taking up your time.” I say as he leaves saying it wasn’t a problem, turning I smile happily.

I found a bench to sit at and smile proudly of the wonderful shots I’d gotten. They were all very eager to some goofy pictures, but in all of them they possessed this quality of power. I don’t know who they are but they definitely do belong in the business that they’re in…entertainment.


 

I like the start of it, and thank you for reading, commenting and subscribing :)