Bus boy

520

And here is chapter oneeeeeee! :D I just reread it and corrected everything, and damn am I getting insecure about this... I should have worked on my other hunhan idea (then again, that story is really wicked, so maybe this one was not that bad of a choice). Well, I hope you enjoy, and I'll update as soon as possible :) I think this story will also be a twoshot or threeshot, but it depends on how it goes :) ENJOY! And thank you to everyone who has subscribed already! :'D
 




It was strange, surprising; Sehun actually did not quite know how to describe it. All he could say was that whenever he took bus 520, he would see this person sitting at the very back, staring outside the window. He had let it pass in the beginning as mere coincidence, but it had been two months already. Two months of being in the same bus with this stranger, and it was beginning to make Sehun think. He was certain it could not be coincidence anymore, since he did not take the bus on regular times – the bus went to his friend Jongin’s neighborhood, and he only took the bus when he had time to visit him.

It was strange.

Just like today. He had promised Jongin to go over to his house, since his friend was going to have a dance competition very soon and Sehun wanted to help him. The moment after he had stepped into the bus and scanned his transport card, his eyes had found the figure sitting at the back. His dark gold colored hair was short and straight. He did not wear anything special, just some casual clothes, as far as Sehun could see. It was just yet another day in the bus with this stranger.

But this time, Sehun was going to act different.

Even though there were plenty other empty seats, he walked all the way to the back. This time, he did not want to let the matter pass any longer. He was a quiet and shy person, but this was beginning to feel almost creepy. The moment Sehun took place on the empty seat next to him, the boy tore his eyes from the window. It was a first for Sehun, since every time, this person had his eyes glued to the window.

And was he mesmerized the moment he saw this person’s face. 

He had always been against describing a male as pretty, or beautiful, but for this once, he felt this strong urge to see it as an exception. His eyes were like those of an innocent deer, catching him the moment the boy looked into his eyes.

“That seat is taken.”

His voice, Sehun thought, was extremely pleasant to listen to. It sounded soothing, and it was calm. Moments later, Sehun’s eyes flickered in surprise upon processing what the boy had just said, finally having control over himself again.

“Eh?”

“The seat you’re sitting on,” He repeated while pointing, “it’s taken.”

Sehun was taken aback by his words. Not only did Sehun find it unusual what the boy had just said, but he was also surprised by the way this person had spoken those words. Now that he took the time to think about it more carefully, he realized just how much he did not like someone taking place on this seat.

“Taken? By whom?”

The boy furrowed his eyebrows slightly.

“You don’t have to know.”

He said before turning his back to Sehun, his eyes fixed to whatever was outside the window again.

-

“Hey, Jongin, can I ask you something?”

Sehun asked as his eyes followed the fast dance steps his friend performed perfectly. He did not even know anymore why he said he would come to help Jongin, when obviously he did not need any help.

“Yes, of course.”

“Well, for the past two months, whenever I take the bus to your place, I’ll always see this boy in the same bus. It’s quite scary, you know.”

“Hmm.” Was Jongin’s reply. 

“You know, I wasn’t asking for your acknowledgement, I- Urgh, never mind.”

Jongin stopped with dancing, a sigh leaving his lips as he took place on the ground next to Sehun.

“I know who you’re talking about. The boy who always sits at the back of the bus, right?”

“Yes!”

Jongin shrugged his shoulders, “I don’t know. It seems as though he’s been living on that bus for the past two months. Whenever I talk to him, he always says the same; waiting.”

“Eh?” Sehun’s eyes widened, “You talked to him?”

“He knows how to talk, you know.” Jongin eyed him before drinking from his water bottle.

“I sat next to him just now, and all he said what that the seat was taken.”

Jongin was instantly alarmed, quickly moving the bottle away from his lips.

“You what? Where the other seats taken?”

“No, it was almost empty.”

“And oh my god, all he did was tell you the seat was taken?!” Jongin could not believe what he was hearing.

“Y-Yes… That’s all he said, yes.” Sehun answered, eyeing his friend strangely.

“You should never sit next to him when there are other seats!”

Sehun raised a questioning eyebrow, “What the heck?”

“I take that bus every day, and believe me, you really shouldn’t sit next to him when you can sit somewhere else. One time he even made a little child cry because the boy sat next to him. He scared the child away with scary stories, horrible.”

Sehun was surprised, since the boy really did not do anything except for telling him the seat is taken. He had changed seats afterwards, and everything returned back to the usual.

“From what he has told me, his name is Luhan, and he’s waiting for someone. I really don’t understand what he’s talking about, but it scares the hell out of me.”

“That seat is taken.”

“Why is everything about your life like this, Jongin? Even the bus to your house is frightening.”

Jongin glared at him darkly, “Excuse me?”

“You heard me.”

Sehun knew he should not have said that, if he did not want to be tortured by an offended Jongin.

-

Days later, Sehun found himself having to take that bus again, and this time he had hesitated for a moment before he decided to just take the bus. If he just did not take place somewhere near that boy, everything would be alright.

Unfortunately, life did not quite like Sehun that much.

The only empty seats left where those in the back and Sehun had to drag his unwilling body to an empty seat. This was not how he had planned it to go. He did not dare to look at the boy as he took place at the seat at the other end of the row seats, separating himself as much as possible from the mysterious boy. As long as he did not do anything stupid, everything would be fine.

He told himself not to look in that boy’s direction, and forced himself to look outside the window. He heaved a sigh, though, when he saw there was nothing to see outside. How the boy could keep up with it, was a mystery to him.

“Why are you sighing?”

Sehun’s eyes fluttered as he turned his head to look at the boy.

“Eh?”

“You were sighing.” The other pointed out once more.

“A-Ah, it’s nothing.” Sehun was not comfortable talking to him.

“I’m sorry.”

Sehun did not quite believe what he just heard. Did he… Did this boy just apologize to him?

“Eh?”

“Are you really that deaf?” The boy said with a raised eyebrow.

“No.” Sehun was quite offended by the boy’s words, “I just don’t understand why you would apologize to me.”

The boy nodded his head once.

“I don’t quite know either, but I feel I should apologize to you for the previous time.” The boy continued without looking at Sehun.

“You’re quite a mysterious person, you know?”

“I hear that a lot.”

What happened next startled Sehun. He had not expected the boy to smile at him – a small, almost invisible smile it was though –, he certainly did not. He was not going to deny it; he liked his smile a lot more than he should.

“And how should I address you?” He asked Sehun.

“A-Ah, Sehun. My name is Sehun.” Sehun said with a gentle smile.

“Nice to meet you, Sehun-sshi.”

“Nice to meet you too, Luhan-sshi.”

Luhan blinked his eyes a couple of times, surprised to hear his name coming out of Sehun’s mouth.

“How…”

“Ah,” Sehun scratched the back of his head nervously as he spoke, “you see, my friend Jongin takes this bus every day, and he told me your name.”

Luhan thought about it for a few seconds, before his face lit up upon remembering who Jongin was.

“I see, so you’re his friend.”

“I’m afraid I am.” Sehun faked a hopeless sigh.

“He’s a nice boy, I believe.”

“He certainly is, in his own special way.” Sehun scoffed, but Luhan could hear the playfulness in it.

“Sehun-sshi, do you take this bus often?”

Sehun thought about it for a while, before nodding. It seemed he loved Jongin’s company a little too much.

“Yes, I think you could say that. Why?”

Luhan shook his head, “Nothing.”

No matter how attracting his appearance was, Sehun could not get over the fact that this boy still remained a strange person.

“Luhan-sshi, which stop is your destination?”

Sehun asked curiously, but the moment he thought about it, it already did not make sense anymore. This boy probably spent all his time in this bus, as Jongin had told him. He could not possible be homeless, right?

“I don’t know, actually.”

“Eh?”

Luhan chuckled softly, amused by Sehun’s reaction, “I said, I don’t know.”

“How wouldn’t you know?” Sehun questioned.

Sehun immediately regretted his question, when he saw Luhan’s expression turning into a melancholic one.

“I’m sorry-”

“I don’t know. I’m just waiting.”

“From what he has told me, his name is Luhan, and he’s waiting for someone. I really don’t understand what he’s talking about, but it scares the hell out of me.”

Sehun remembered what Jongin had told him; that Luhan was waiting for someone. However, did it make any sense to wait for someone in the bus?

“But why in the bus?”

“He told me to.” Sehun almost could not hear it, since Luhan spoke in such a painfully soft manner.

“He? You know, I’ve seen this in movies, where the main character meets up with the other in the bus, so they can spend time together before parting to live on with their respective lives. You wouldn’t happen to be one of those main couples in those romantic movies, right?”

A sad smile lingered on Luhan’s lips as he stared in front of him. “No, I’m not.”

“Now I’m really confused.”

“Don’t be. You wouldn’t understand.”

Sehun sighed as he eyed Luhan. He was not going to mingle himself with other people’s matter. Sehun looked outside the window, realizing that it was about to be his stop.

“It seems I’ll have to say goodbye, Luhan-sshi-”

“Joonmyun.”

“Eh?”

Luhan looked straight into Sehun’s confused eyes, “I’m waiting for Joonmyun.”

“I… I see… Well,” Sehun stuttered, “good luck with waiting. Maybe I’ll see you some other time.”

He awkwardly waved Luhan goodbye, before making its way to the front, oblivious to the heartbroken expression on Luhan’s face.

-

“I don’t- Can’t we just go somewhere else?”

Sehun whined as Jongin and he stood at the bus stop, waiting for the bus to arrive. However, Sehun did not actually wanted to go with this bus, not when he would most probably see Luhan again. He had nothing against the boy, but really, he felt uncomfortable being in the same bus as he.

“What? But you have wanted to play on my Wii for ages already. Now I finally have the time to play with you, and you don’t want to anymore?” Jongin’s eyes blinked in surprise.

“I… I don’t really feel like playing today.”

“How could you not feel like playing? You live your whole life playing.” Jongin mocked teasingly. “Just admit you’re afraid for Luhan.”

“A-Am not.” Sehun stuttered.

“Coward.” Jongin teased. “I mean, come on, it’s not like he’s going to kill you. It’s a bus we’re talking about. He may be frightening, but it’s not like you have to talk to him or anything.”

Jongin could say it easily, since most certainly, he had already gotten used to it. Sehun, on the other hand, still felt crept out whenever he thought about that Luhan boy. The moment the bus was in his eyesight, he could feel his heartbeats increasing. He really, really did not like it, even when Jongin was with him – not that Jongin would be capable of protecting Sehun, but the thought was somewhat reassuring.

“Come on, Sehunnie baby.” Jongin teased with an amused grin before stepping inside the bus.

“Stop calling me that.”

“But you’re indeed a baby.” Jongin swapped his card smoothly, his eyes wandering around the bus. “Oh, it seems fate is standing by your side, Sehunnie. We can’t sit anywhere but next to Luhan.”

Jongin snickered the moment he saw Sehun’s hilarious expression; utmost fear mixed with bits of despair. Jongin could not help it, but he did find the look quite entertaining.

“I… I’m just going to stand…” Sehun said softly, his lisp suddenly clearly noticeable.

“Aish, you’re coming with me.”

Jongin said as he pulled Sehun with him to the back of the bus, where Luhan, as always, was sitting. Sehun feared the worst, but he knew struggling would be futile when you are up against Jongin. The skinny dancer had hidden strength that should never be underestimated. His eyes wandered to Luhan, who, this time, was not looking outside the window. Instead, it seemed as though he was busy with writing.

“Hello there, Luhan-sshi!” Jongin yelled cheerfully the moment he took place on the seat next to Luhan, or how Sehun likes to call it: the haunted seat.

“Jongin-sshi.” Luhan acknowledged him with a small smile, before glancing at Sehun. “Sehun-sshi.”

Sehun knew very well that Jongin was not particularly friends with Luhan, so he knew Jongin purposely talked to Luhan to irritate Sehun. The benefit of being best friends: You knew exactly how the other wanted to torture you.

“What are you doing?” Jongin asked as he eyed Luhan’s notebook.

“Ah, some work I have to finish.”

So he does have a life except for being in this damn bus all the time, Sehun thought as he eyed the notebook. Truthfully, Sehun had nothing against Luhan. For Sehun, Luhan could live in this bus if he wanted to. However, one must admit that a person who spends more time in a bus than anywhere else is frightening. No matter what his reason is.

“Are you still waiting?” Jongin continued to ask, and Sehun could see the flash of sadness in Luhan’s eyes, before they turned emotionless.

“Yes…”

“Really, you’re quite someone, Luhan-sshi.”

“Jongin-ah…” Sehun whispered as he hit the other slightly on the arm, “I don’t think your conversation is going to the right direction…”
 
Jongin was a shy person at heart, but sometimes, he could be unexpectedly extraverted, but never with the desired consequences. Like that one time he suddenly stood up and spoke with this Chinese guy, who looked like he could kill Jongin with just one look. He remembered Jongin complaining about how he the hell was supposed to know that this Wu Fan guy was Chinese. Then again, if only Jongin had paid attention, he would have known that the guy was an exchange student from China.

“Hey, is your name really Luhan?”

Sehun wanted to face palm himself at Jongin’s stupid question. What did he do in his past life to deserve such a best friend? He believed he must have killed an entire kingdom. Or worse – they might have been past lovers. Sehun shivered at the thought.

“I’m Chinese, actually, the name is Han. However, I changed it to Luhan when I came to Korea.”

Luhan answered calmly, and Sehun was beginning to suspect that he might have a crush on Jongin. Who else would be this calm to answer such an idiotic question? Alright, maybe Sehun should not look down on his friend so much.

“China? Why did you come to Korea?”

Honestly, one could not actually blame Sehun for thinking that his friend is out of his mind, right? Certainly not, when his friend clearly does not know what privacy meant. Then again, he could believe that Luhan was an exception. This bus boy had already exceeded all his expectations the moment he decided to wait for someone in the bus.

“Joonmyun.”

Luhan’s voice suddenly popped up in his mind again. Sehun shook his head frantically. He did not hear the sadness in Luhan’s voice. He had not noticed the pain laced with the words. Nothing. Nothing.

“Yah, Sehun, are you alright?”

“Eh?” Sehun looked up to meet eyes with Jongin. “Ah, yes, of course.”

“Did you hear what Luhan just said? He’s actually a university student!”

His eyes widened in surprise. Was Sehun surprised? Of course he was. Who would not? Since when did university students get so much free time to hang out in the bus?

“Then how come you have so much time to spend on this bus?”

He did not mean to say it. It had slipped out of his lips before he had even realized it. He could feel Jongin’s accusing stare even though he could not see it. Not that he had the courage to, when he had just remarked something so foolishly stupid, that he was sure the bus boy would dislike him for sure.

“I’m sorry, Luhan-sshi, Sehun didn’t mean to offend you.” Jongin said warily, hoping Luhan did not take it at heart.

“Sehun-sshi.”

Sehun looked up hesitantly, his eyes landing on the bus boy. He did not like what he saw, as always. He did not like the fact that every time this personal topic came up, sadness surrounded Luhan.

“Look, I’m sorry, okay? I-” Sehun began, but never got to finish what he wanted to say.

“Honestly, do you think I’m spilling my time?”

Did he have to answer earnestly? Truthfully, Sehun did think Luhan – he preferred bus boy – was spending precious time in a bus, but then again, did he have the right to say that?

“I’m just waiting.”

“I… I’m sure you have your own reason for doing this.”

It could have been formulated better, but it could not be denied that Sehun had saved himself with this sentence. Jongin seemed to loosen up a little too, so it seemed the right words came out of his mouth this time.

“Waiting, yes,” Luhan’s glassy eyes scanned the bus, “endlessly waiting.”

“I’m sure you’ll be able to see him, the person you’re waiting for.” Sehun reassured the bus boy, making the other smile slightly.

“Let’s hope so.”

After that, none of them spoke one more word. Jongin did not say anything more, and hoped they would reach their destination soon. Sehun would occasionally glance at Luhan, and every time, he would see the sorrow on his baby-like face.

Is it really worth the wait, bus boy?