Christmas Revelations

Filling An Empty Space

 

I wear the watch that she gave me every day. I did a little research about it and found out that it costs as much as my 2 weeks allowance! Wow! I never thought that she’d spend this much for me. When my parents came home, I received a men’s bracelet from them, which I also wear wherever I go. She received a beautiful pair of earrings from them. I wanted to give her a present that I bought myself but I was too shy to do so….weird. But I promise this Christmas, I’ll buy her a present! That’s why I’ve been saving money and researching over the net about which gift is best to give to a girl.

 

 

[Time Skip: Christmas Time (A/N: Sorry too lazy to add filler chapters/events :P)]

 

“Seunghyun the hot choco is ready!”

 

 

“Thanks omma…” The whole family is in the living room admiring the Christmas tree we have put there. The beautiful Christmas lights, the hot choco, the gifts under the tree, the snow outside and lastly the complete family made our Christmas Eve perfect. I and my parents are chatting while Dara is smiling and sometimes laughing at our goofiness.

 

 

“Seconds…”

 

 

“What is it Dara?” I sat beside her to hear what she was saying.

 

 

“Less than 1 minute ‘till Christmas…”

 

 

“Really? Let’s do a countdown!” and she nodded. I took her hand and made her sit with me in front of the Christmas tree where the presents are. She was blushing which made me chuckle. She’s really cute. I want to pinch her cheeks so badly because of her adorableness. Haha!

 

 

“But I’m not sure the time in phone is correct…”

 

 

“Well based on the watch you gave me…” I winked at her, which made her blush more, before I look at the watch, “you’re correct….okay 20 seconds left!”

 

 

“Aigoo Seunghyun you’re old already yet you’re still excited opening your presents…” my appa commented.

 

 

“Appa!” I whined.

 

 

“Just kidding…”

 

 

“Hey 10 seconds left! Dara count with me…”

 

We started counting together, “10…9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2…1!!!”

 

 

“MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!”

 

 

We all greeted one another and exchange presents. I waited for Dara to open my gift. “Oh my god this is so beautiful…”

 

 

 

The smile plastered on her face once she saw the necklace I gave her made me smile also. We stared at each other’s eyes and I immediately felt my heart beat faster. She’s making me nervous but at the same time happy. I took the necklace and asked her to turn around so that I could put it on her.

 

 

 

“It looks good on you…” I complemented. Damn I sound like a boyfriend giving his girlfriend a present.

 

 

“Thank you Seunghyun.”

 

 

“Hanna! You finally called!” My mother said happily on the phone.

 

 

And instantly I saw Dara grinning wider. Yes, she is beautiful even with just a plain look on her face, but she was more than beautiful when she smiles. Gorgeous. Stunning. She’s more than that. I observed her while she stood beside my mom, waiting for her time on the phone. This is probably the happiest Dara I have ever seen. A smile crept on my face as I watch my princess. But everything changed suddenly.

 

 

“Are you sure? Dara is here maybe….Okay, I understand. Merry Christmas…” my mom sighed as she put down the phone.

 

 

“Was that my omma?” Dara looked as if she was torn.

 

 

“Yes, I’m sorry, she said she just wanted to check on everything. I think she’s still working even though it’s Christmas…”

 

 

“Did she left a message for me?”

 

 

 

My mom just shook her head. I know she’s disappointed with everything. Just imagine being away from your family and not being able to talk to them on Christmas Eve when all families are supposed to be together. I felt sorry for her but I know she won’t like it if someone will pity her.

 

 

 

“Dara where are you going?” I asked her.

 

 

She faked a smile and said, “I’ll just be in my room.”

 

 

 

I have to wait for the time she’d be ready to open up to me and tell me her problems. Just when I thought Christmas would be perfect for the both of us one phone call ruined the mood. Hay….

 

~~~

 

“Seunghyun could you give this to Dara? I think she didn’t see this…” my mom said while she grabbed a small box under the Christmas tree. I just nodded and headed straight to her room. I noticed that her door wasn’t closed properly so I peeked in just to check if she’s sleeping already, but I saw no one there. I went inside and look around when I finally notice the sliding door to the mini terrace of her room is open. “Dara?”

 

 

I saw her sitting on one of the metal chairs, hugging her legs with her head buried on her knees. I know she heard me but she didn’t move or anything.

 

 

“Dara what are you doing out here?! You could get sick!”

 

 

“I’ll be fine…” she replied without looking at me.

 

 

I took her hand and pulled her “No, you will not be fine. It’s snowing tonight you can’t stay here! If you get sick…”

 

 

But she didn’t budge, instead she held on my hand tight “…Will someone care?”

 

 

“Wha…what?” I asked, surprised by her words.

 

 

“If I get sick will someone worry about me? If I get sick will omma finally notice me?”

 

 

I didn’t know what to say right after that. Her words and those sad look in her eyes make me feel the pain she’s feeling inside. I just sat at the chair beside her and continued holding her hand. I know she wants to cry seeing the forming tears in her eyes. “Tell me…” I whispered.

 

 

“What do you want to know?”

 

 

“Everything…” I answered, still not letting go of her hand.

 

 

She didn’t look at me and just stared at the ground while she started narrating her life. “I’m an only child. My father died 4 years ago, leaving all the family business to my mom. I was home schooled for my own protection. You see, my parents weren’t that rich before…my father had fought battles with other businessmen just to be able to reach the top. And when he did, he gained a lot of enemies, threatening our family’s life. So they decided that I should not leave the house as much as possible.”

 

 

She shifted a little and looked at me with a bitter smile on her face, “I was left alone. Yes, there were maids and helpers with me, but I was still alone. No one spared a time to play with me. My parents were too busy with our growing business that they seem to forget they have a daughter waiting for them at home…or could I even consider it as home?”

 

 

“They were just thinking of your future…” I said, trying to lighten the situation.

 

 

“I tried forcing that idea in my head but when I saw your family….” We were then again quiet. I waited for her to continue with her story. “When my father died, my mom figured out that his enemies will be gone already, so she let me go on a normal school. But because of me not used to meeting people, and add a little racial discrimination, I didn’t do much progress in my social life in school. I was an outcast…or rather I unconsciously distanced myself from others.”

 

 

“Is that why your mother sent you here?”

 

 

“No. She doesn’t know. It’s my fault why I’m here right now.” She giggled a little which made me confuse, “One of my classmate, he failed in class and then I heard his mother personally tutored him. Thinking that by that I would be able to get my mother’s attention, as stupid as it may sound, I failed all my subjects on purpose. And that angered my mom. She thinks it’s because of my surrounding or the influence of the people around me, so she sent me here….”

 

 

“Why don’t you just tell her what you really feel?”

 

 

“I’m scared…I don’t know how I will talk to her... My mom is never the soft type. I’m afraid that she would just ignore me.”

 

 

My glance fell to our hands. Her hand is so warm which brought much comfort to me, but just as how warm her hands are, I know she’s feeling cold inside because of the loneliness she had felt before.

 

“Do you know I envy you so much?”

 

 

“What? Why?”

 

 

“You’re parents are busy too but they always have time for you. You have friends that always make you laugh. And you are really fun to be with making people who meet you grow fond of you.” She just complemented me. But no matter how happy I am I can’t bring a smile on my face knowing that she’s still hurting.

 

 

“I feel alone too, sometimes. That’s why when I heard you’re staying with us, I was really happy.”

 

 

“You were excited to see me?”

 

 

“Uhuh…When you came in our home I thought, ‘Ahh I wish I could be her friend…’. That’s why I tried my best for you to notice me.” Okay, that sounded weird. God I sounded like I’m desperate!

 

 

She stood up and went in front of me. I just stared at her waiting for what she would do. “Do you promise to be my best friend until the end?” I was startled by her action but was able to nod. She offered her hand to me and began introducing herself. “Hi I’m Park Sandara, I hope that we can be friends”

 

 

We both smiled as I took her hand for a shake, “I’m Choi Seunghyun, and yes, we will be friends.”

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: This kinda explains the distant behavior of Dara from Seunghyun’s family and her gloominess in the beginning chapters, for she doesn’t know ‘how’ a family is because she never saw it from her own ‘family’.