Prologue

Missing Civilization: What is Hidden in the Dark

 

Two boys walked through a forest, the light of the full moon casting a dim light over everything that resided in the land below it. The younger of the two looked around, looking for his older brother who had run off on his own.

“Seungjun…do you see Minhyun-hyung anywhere?” asked Minhyuk, the boy’s voice was a soft whisper, which could’ve been easily carried away by the wind.

“I don’t see him anywhere…” said Seungjun, taking in a deep breath, however something caught his attention, “Do you smell that?”

The younger boy stopped and sniffed the air, “Smoke?”

Seungjun nodded, “Do you think that it could be?”

The younger shook his head, “It’s impossible…They hate fire, don’t they?”

Seungjun nodded, “Let’s go...If they are still here, it wouldn’t be wise to stay in one place for too long…”

Minhyuk nodded and the two began to walk down the dirt path again silently, screams could be heard and the two looked at each other before they took off running, rushing towards the end of the path that lead to the town. There they saw smoke rising to the sky and the flames casting a orange, haunting glow over the two, what was the source of the light? It was none other than the city hall. There the two saw the silhouette of someone on the ground not far from the burning building, as they walked closer; they slowly began to recognize the person.

“Hyung…” said Minhyuk, his feet moving quickly towards his brother who was seriously wounded. As he reached his brother’s battered and bruised body, he looked at the blood that was covering the ground around him; he shook his brother’s shoulder and heard a groan of pain come from the back of his hyung’s throat, “Hyung…what happened?”

“Get Myungsoo…” hissed the older male, opening his eyes and looking at his younger brother, whose eyes had landed on the discolored dust that was slowly drifting towards the fire. The younger’s eyes then looked at his hyung, examining his wounds; he saw cuts that looked like deep claw marks.

“It’s them isn’t it?” asked Seungjun, kneeling down by his hyung who was trying hard to get to his feet, but the deep cuts over his body prevented him from doing so, as well as the burns that marked his shoulders and arms.

The older male nodded and once again hissed, “Get Myungsoo…Get Dongjun…get them…”

Seungjun nodded and automatically pulled out his cell phone dialing his house number, the phone rang once, twice, right when Seungjun thought his father wasn’t going to answer he did.

“What is it Seungjun, aren’t you three supposed to be on look out tonight?”

“We are appa…They’ve finally made their move…Minhyun-hyung…we don’t exactly know what happened to him, but he keeps telling us to get you and Myungsoo,” Said Seungjun.

Sirens were heard and man people emerged from the hotels and houses around the city hall watching in horror as the flames slowly consumed the building, paramedics rushed over to Minhyun and took him away from two boys, despite protests from all three of them.

“What just happened?” asked Dongjun, talking to his son.

“The paramedics just took Minhyun away…” muttered Seungjun, “Appa, please hurry to the city hall…”

“I’m coming…I just alerted Myungsoo, he should be there soon…As should the others,” Said Dongjun, “I’m going to drop by the hospital first alright?”

“Mm,” muttered Seungjun, hanging up on his father and looked at the worried Minhyuk.

“That’s why they didn’t want us be go out alone, right?” asked Minhyuk, looking at Seungjun.

The older male nodded.

The two stood there and watched as the firefighters tried and tried to get the fire to go out, but it wouldn’t. They watched as they tried to break windows and doors, trying to get them open so that those inside could escape, but not one could.

“They really are powerful aren’t they…” muttered Minhyuk, he looked at Seungjun, “I can’t believe they took Minhyun-hyung out like that…”

Seungjun nodded, and then looked at the younger to see why the younger’s sentence trailed off. He saw fear shining in the younger’s eyes as he looked up at a second floor window. Seungjun’s eyes followed the younger male’s gaze and there he saw his two friend’s only parent, trapped in the burning building, he saw the younger male begin to tremble and look around frantically. The younger then raced off towards the burning building, but before he got far someone grabbed his wrist. The teenager spun around and glared at the person who stopped him.

“Let go Seungjun-hyung.” Hissed Minhyuk, “I don’t want to hurt you…”

“Minhyuk stop it,” said Seungjun, his eyes narrowed, “Don’t be stupid…”

The younger looked at him, he looked broken. Seungjun remembered that Minhyuk looked up to his father and was really proud of him, he remembered how Minhyuk and his father were.

Minhyuk broke him out of his thoughts as he said, “I have to help him…”

“Minhyuk…the firefighters can’t even break the windows and doors in, what makes you think you can?” whispered Seungjun, “You saw the burns on your hyung’s arms…he tried to get in there as well, but he wasn’t able too…”

“B-But…”

“Minhyuk…There is nothing you can do…” muttered Myungsoo behind the two boys, the sixteen year old looked at him, “This is their revenge…we destroyed their leader so they’re destroying ours…your father knew this day would come as did Minhyun…”

“Then why is it happening?!” asked Minhyuk, “Since you guys knew about it, shouldn’t you guys prevent it?”

“We couldn’t…” said Myungsoo, patting the sixteen year old’s hair, “We can’t break the spells…we’re merely humans who are unable to control things like that…”

A suddenly crumble could be heard and Minhyuk turned around in horror to see the building collapse, taking many lives with it. The boy stared in horror and Myungsoo looked at Seungjun, the sadness shone in his eyes as he spoke again.

“This is just the beginning…”

Minhyuk looked at Myungsoo, “What do you mean?”

“This is the beginning of their revenge…” muttered Myungsoo, “This is our fault…we were ignorant of the signs of their return and it lead to this…”

Minhyuk looked at the fire that was consuming what was left of the city hall in sadness before turning around and looking at Myungsoo with tear filled eyes, “Can we go to Minhyun?”

Myungsoo nodded and lead the two boys towards the hospital; however, they didn’t see the multiple eyes watching them from a distance.

 

In another area of the town, seven boys were sitting outside a house, sitting out on the beach playing around in the dull light that was being casted over them from the moon. The lights from the main land could be seen across the wake, and the orange hue in the slightly cloudy sky was visible over the town and the six thought nothing of it. They resumed their games surrounded by the lights that came from the house as well. However one boy sat there abnormally quiet, staring at the orange hue coming from over the town.

“Hey, Daehyun, are you alright?” asked Youngwon, looking at his abnormally quiet friend.

The boy looked at him and shook his head, “Something doesn’t feel right…I feel like something bad is happening…”

“Let’s go inside then…” said Min Jun, looking at the other boys who nodded. They all headed inside of the house to see Minseok, Je Bim, and Min Jun’s ‘umma’ standing worriedly in front of the TV his eyes glued to the screen where a picture of a burning building could be seen.

“The city hall mysteriously caught on fire…no one is positive how this fire started, but within minutes, the frame of the structure crumbled and collapsed into a heap of flames. The number of victims is unknown, however one victim of the fire is known…Mayor Park Minsoo was lost in the flames. There are other officials who could possibly be in the building, but we will not know until the fire finally goes out and the firefighters can search through the charred remains.” Said the female reporter at the scene, “Many people reported that not one of the doors or windows would break when the firefighters tried to break them so that they could get in and rescue those trapped inside…Many people also reported a boy about eighteen years of age being attacked by many abnormally pale and oddly dressed men, the boy who was attacked was supposedly taken to the hospital. However this was in fact an illusion from the dangerous gases that were released from the flames. That is all of the information we have on that fire as for now…we’ll give you more information tomorrow morning…”

“Where is appa?” asked Youngwon, noticing that his father wasn’t there in the room.

“He had to go to the hospital.” Said Sungyeol, flipping off the TV, shutting off the lights outside, shutting and locking the sliding glass doors and covering the door with a curtain, blocking the light in the room from traveling outside, the male then closed all the drapes that were open and looked at the boys, “Your parents all told me not to allow you to go...I’m to keep you all in here until morning…”

“Why?” asked Soohyun.

They are back.” Muttered Sungyeol, “The organization knows not only from the city hall fire, but because one of the patrols they had out on the island was attacked by them when he least expected it. The patrol is in the hospital…Seungjun, Dongjun, and Myungsoo are there keeping the victim’s brother company until the boy wakes up, so they probably won’t be returning until late…”

The seven nodded.

“Minseok, Je Bim, Min Jun, help me get the extra mattresses ready…” said Sungyeol.

“Do I have to?” asked Minseok, pouting and looking at his ‘umma’ whom nodded, not looking at his son, because he didn’t want to give into the fifteen year old’s aegyo.

“Who was the person who was hurt?” asked Kris.

“Park Minhyun,” Said Sungyeol, “I’m positive that you all know him.”

They nodded slowly; shocked to hear that one of the Kingka at their school was a part of the organization.

“Seungjun and Minhyuk were lucky that they weren’t with him at the time of attack…” muttered Sungyeol.

“Why?” asked Youngwon.

“From the information Minhyun told them, there were hundreds of them that had attacked him and if the two were there they would’ve attacked the two of them because they are physically weaker than Minhyun…” said Sungyeol, who then spoke, “Do you boys understand why we told you to never walk around alone at night?”

The four boys nodded to show that they understood what Sungyeol was saying.

 

The boys were up for hours, waiting for the front door to open, since Sungyeol had been keeping them up. Finally the front door did open and in walked Seungjun, who had brought Minhyuk with him. The younger of the two boys looked exhausted and a little distressed as they stepped into the living room, he awkwardly bowed slightly to the boys who were sitting in the living room who he didn’t really know.

“Where is a room we can have him rest in?” asked Seungjun. Sungyeol stood up, “I’ll take him to the room…Where is Myungsoo?”

“He’s at the city hall with Minhyun and Dongjun…” said Seungjun, the exhaustion shone in his eyes and the others watched him closely as he stumbled into the living room and collapsed into the chair which Sungyeol was previously occupying. Sungyeol was gone showing Minhyuk to the room he and his brother would share since it wasn’t safe for the two to return to their home.

Soon the front door opened again and two more people walked in, one being Myungsoo, the other being Minhyun, the pain was evident on the young male’s face as he limped into the room. Myungsoo looked at the boys and in a strict voice said, “Boys please head to bed, I have some things to discuss with Minhyun…”

The boys all nodded knowing that if they didn’t go willingly Myungsoo would kick them out of the room forcefully, as they moved, they heard Minhyun speak to Myungsoo, “I don’t care if it’s not safe for me to live alone…I’m going to live in that house…I’m not going to live here…I don’t want to live with a lot of people whom I don’t really know.” 

 

 

 

I hope you liked the prologue...XD I've been with some of my other stories...(I have six going on right now, so forgive me if the updates become a little slow every now and then...)