Chapter 10

Blood Romance

"Hey." Yunhee called out to the already annoyed boy infront of her. He had his head rested on the table with his eyes slightly opening to acknowledge the younger's presence. "I need your help." This caught the boy's attention and Yunhee knew as she saw him slowly lifting his head up to look at her properly. "I need you to tell me more about Europhinia." 

Sehun's eyes squinted a little and he bit his lower lip. He hesitated, he didn't want to help her, not because he didn't want to offer a helping hand when she needed one, but because it could put her in danger. And he didn't want her to be in danger. This made the older looked at her in confusion, why did he care so much anyway? He shook off his thoughts and stood up abruptly, causing the younger to be startled. He stared at her and reluctantly stated, "follow me."

Yunhee followed him as instructed and headed to a place where she had never seen before. Dorian Block. They were headed for the boys' dorm, and she knew it was against the rules for a girl to enter into the boy's dorm. "Yah, you know it's against the rules right? I can't enter." She stopped in her tracks and waited for Sehun to respond but he didn't, he just continued on without her. "Yah!" She screamed at him, finally getting his attention.

"Wow, Yunhee. I never knew you were such a daredevil. Never would have imagined." He sarcastically mentoined with a smile and rolled his eyes soon after while continuing his way back to his room. 

"Oh rot in hell, Sehun." She muttered under her breath and watched as the older opened his mouth to mention something. She had already guessed what he was about to say and hence stated, "It was meant for you to hear." Sehun smiled and it just angered the poor girl even more. How is it that this boy knew exactly how to push every single one of her buttons?

They had reached his dorm and as soon as Sehun had opened the door, a musty stench overwhelmed her senses. “God! What is that smell?” She tried to get the smell out of her system by coughing but failed miserably. She tried to find where it was coming from and saw a pile of plastic bags at the corner of the room, beside their wardrobe. “What is that?”

“Blood bags. We need blood to survive, remember?” The older stated as-a-matter-of-factly. 

“Right.” The girl shifted her focus to Sehun and saw that he was searching for something in his drawer. “What are you looking for?” She asked, but received no response for a whole minute.

“Found it.” He said and held up a piece of paper, and handed it to Yunhee.

The girl took it and stared in awe. It was a portrait of a beautiful young woman. She could see the similarities between Europhinia and herself. They looked similar. She was about Yunhee’s age; she had fair and clear skin. Her hair was dark, it was curled and it encircled her oval-shaped face. She had big doe like eyes and a long straight, almost perfect nose. She had tiny light freckles below her eyes. Her lips were plump and pillowy. She was beautiful.

“That’s Europhinia.” Sehun stated.

“She’s beautiful.” The girl spoke, still staring at the portrait in wonder.

“Yeah, She was very.” He said with a smile.

“You knew her?” Yunhee finally shifted her gaze to the boy. “What do you know of her?”

“Look, I cannot tell you much, because it can cause trouble if you knew. “ He stated and sat on the bed beside him. He then patted the empty space beside him and motioned for the girl to sit. Yunhee hesitated for a little, but eventually agreed and sat down with him.

"Europhinia was an admirable and powerful witch. She was one of the first few witches that ever came to be. Everyone wanted her for themselves because she could do so much. She could give us power, make us royal bloods, and also control whether one dies or lives. But all these would come with consequences. There was once, she felt threatened, hence she placed a spell on a vampire-"

“What spell?” Yunhee asked, and was soon given a glare for interrupting.

 “A curse that puts a vampire into an eternal slumber. The spell came with consequences, of course. She died at an early age because of what she chose to do.” Sehun spoke with a remorseful tone.

“Why did she do it?”

“Love.” Sehun said plainly.

“Love? She fell in love?” Yunhee said with confusion. She needed more, she wanted to know more.

“Love made her do foolish things.” Sehun stated coldly.  He then stared at her confused expression. He knew he couldn’t go any further than this. He couldn’t put her in any danger. And it made him wonder why he felt that way about her. It was then that he was suddenly aware of how close they were to each other. His hands could feel the warmth of hers and their faces only inches away. She was looking away but he wasn’t, he couldn’t. All he could focus on was her.  “Love killed her.” He said.

 

-

 

All the girl could think about all week was just about what Sehun had told her about Europhinia. She had pleaded the boy to tell her more, at least let her know who her ancestor had fallen in love with so much to have felt so much pain that she decided to take such foolish actions. She needed to know in order to know whom she should side, and whom she should avoid. But no one would speak, both families would not dare to speak of the truth she seeks. Was it them who was involved? She didn't know, and wanted so badly to.

"Hi." Yunhee lifted her head to figure out who was it that interuupted her train of thoughts, and to her surprise, it was Sungjong. "I'm sorry about what I said previously. I didn't really mean it." Sungjong said while rubbing the back of his neck.

Yunhee realised what he was speaking of, the incident that happened just a few days back, her cheeks flushed and she bit her lips in embarrassment. But she also wondered why he was suddenly so nice again. He had told her previously to basically stay away from him from that day onwards, which meant forever. And forever was a pretty long time for a vampire. She must have done something stupid that made him that angry. So why was he being so nice right now? 

 

"In simple words, they helped someone do something bad to ours and now our father's unable to wake up. But there is a cure.."

 

"You wouldnt.. You wouldn't do that, right?" She took a step back, finally realising what all this was about. She fit the puzzles in place and now the picture was clear. It was so clear, it filled her with anger and so much betrayal. 

"What are you talking about?" Sungjong tried to grab her, but she flinched and slapped his hands away. What he had feared was coming true.

"Europhinia did this to your family, and now you're just being nice and all because.. Because.." Yunhee couldn't finish what she wanted to say. It hurt her, she felt her insides crumple, her chest filling itself with a nauseating feeling. How could someone be so cruel? "You want to use me. Are you using me?" The air surrounding them became colder, the wind was strong and defeaning. She wondered if it was her doing, and the more she wondered, the stronger it became.

"Yunhee, that's not it." The boy tried to explain himself, he tried to reach out for her again, but she stepped away even further this time.

"No. Don't touch me." A single drop of grief welled up from the corner of her eye. "Is that what this is all about? I honestly thought I could trust you, Lee Sungjong."

"I'm trying to protect you!"

"That's a load of bull. I know everything alright? You want me to undo the curse, and then you want me to increase your powers and make all of become royal bloods, Isn't that right?" She spoke with disgust in her voice. "Please just stay away from me. I won't help you."

 

"No, You will."