The Key

You're Beautiful

I spotted an elevator, but I ignored it and took the stairs. I was scared of tight spaces, and thankfully, I was only on the fifth floor. I ran outside and stood completely still for a while, taking in all the sights and sounds and smells and trying to get my bearings.

I had never seen anything like this before. Bright lights flashing everywhere, gigantic screens all over the huge towering buildings... People crowding the streets, all busily rushing somewhere... 

"Hey there!" Someone tapped my right shoulder. I looked over, but no one was there. "GOTCHA!" some boy jumped in front of me.

"h-hi..."

"What's wrong? First time in the city?" he had a strange accent... Maybe he was from the country, too!

"Y-yes..."

"Well, been there, done that! Do you need help?"

"Wh-where are you g-going?" I asked.

"Oh." he looked around and got real close to me. I shrank back a little. "Don't tell anyone, but I'm going to be a kpop star! I'm going to train right now!"

"A star? Does that get you a lot of money?"

He took a step back. "Oh." he eyed me disdainfully. "Is that what you want to know. Well, I suppose, if you're any good."

"Uh- Um... what's your name?" I asked in an attempt to save the conversation. I knew I had sounded like a stupid jerk, but I was desperate. I could NOT be a star... again...

"..." It was too late. His sweet smile was gone.

"I'm sorry..."

He smiled again. "Hi Sorry, I'm Kib--Key."

"Key?" I said, relieved. "That's... erm... a name..."

Key laughed  and hit me on the back. "That's not my real name. It's gonna be my new name! Kibum sunbae already exists... Weird, right? Same name in the same company... What are the odds of that?"

"Erm... Key?"

"Yeah?"

"C-can I ask you something? Promise not to think I'm some jerk?"

"mmmm... Can't promise!" he winked jokingly. I rolled my eyes.

"Where did you audition? Do you think I can audition?"

"Well, sure, if you're any good. You can follow me to the building if you want."

"OH THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!" I hugged him. "You know, Key, you're really nice. You remind me of my sweet Cheolyoung..." I lowered my eyes at the thought of my brother. I hoped he was okay...

"Whoa, there." he said, stepping away. "'your sweet Cheolyoung?' Are you gay?"

"What? No!"

"It's okay, I mean... I guess... it's ok..."

"No! Cheolyoung isn't my boyfriend.... And why would I be gay if I liked a boy?"

"... because you are a guy."

"What? I am?"

Key rolled his eyes. "Look in the mirror often?" he pointed at the reflective door. 

Oh. Wow. I looked like Cheolyoung. Should I set him straight? What if he refused to take me? Well... I guess I'll be Cheolyoung for a bit... I cleared my throat awkwardly. "Sorry. Um... I didn't know what gay meant??" Key looked at me skeptically. "Umm.... Cheolyoung is my brother. Sorry. I miss him. Uh.... aren't you late?"

"OH MY GOD I"M LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hurry!!!" Key ran off, dropping his bag accidentally. Phew! Saved! Well... I guess I looked like a guy...

Key was near the end of the block. "HEY WAIT FOR ME!!!!" I picked up his bag and ran after him.

I have a chance! If only I can make it in! I can do it! Eun-ah! You can do it!

You have to...

------------------------------------

"We're here!" Key yelled excitedly. "Hurry get off before the bus moves again!"

"Coming-- Whoa..."

"It's great, isn't it?"

"It's HUGE!!!"

"I know. That was my first reaction. Hurry! See if you can make it!"

There was a line for auditions. I sighed and went to the back.

"Excuse me?" someone tapped me.

"Yes?"

"We have a pass. Now if you don't mind..." The group of girls pushed and shoved their way to the front. " We're here for the audition!" They said. I wanted to punch them in the face.

"Sorry, girls. Today is boys only..." My heart leaped with hope. YES! Thank you Teddy for cutting all my hair away! Thank you Key for giving me the idea to be my brother!!

"Um... hi!" I tapped the person in front of me.

"What do you want?"

"Does this happen everyday?"

"Yeah.... It's been two weeks since i first came here. I probably won't be let in today, either..."

"TWO WEEKS?!"

"Gotta have patience, dude."

"B-but... I can't! I can't wait that long!" Tears rose to my eyes. "I don't have two weeks. I only have today!"

"Then don't audition here. Go somewhere else."

"Somewhere else? I have nowhere else to go... I'll wait. Maybe I can make it in. Today might be my lucky day..."

"sure," he shrugged. "Good luck with that." he turned around again.

"What's your name? My name is... Cheolyoung..." Sorry little bro... Hope you never visit. That would be huge chaos...

"I'm Changsun." he tossed his words over his shoulder.

"Oh. okay... Um... Ch-changsun? How does this thing work? Do I do whatever I want, or-"

He stared at me. "You... Are you being serious?"

"Yes?"

"I don't believe you..." he shook his head, chuckling. He was beautiful..................."You'll be fine. just show them whatever skill you have."

"Huh? Oh. Right. A skill... Well, what are you gonna do?"

"Dancing, singing, acting... just a bunch of stuff"

"Oh." The line inched forward, but I knew I was in for a looooooooooooooong wait...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Next!" YES!!! Two more people and I was IN! I'd figured I'd do some dancing, and maybe I could sing the national anthem. That was one song I knew...

"Maybe we'll make it in!!" I said excitedly, jumping up and down in excitement.

"Maybe today...." Changsun looked hopeful. I smiled. I could drown in his eyes forever...... "what are you staring at? Do I have something on my face?"

"huh? No...." I looked away, but kept him in the corner of my eye. "Are you hungry?"

He sighed. "Yes... but I can't eat. It'll mess me up."

"Come on! Let's eat something! You can't audition on an empty belly..."

"And lose our place in line?" he looked at me pointedly.

"Right..... Well maybe after..."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Next!" Changsun swallowed nervously.

"Go, changsun! You can do it!" I reached in to hug him, hesitated, and awkwardly patted him on the back.

"Thanks, Cheolyoung" he said breathlessly, and walked in.

I waved after him, GAH! He remembered my name!!! At least my fake name...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Line's closed for today. Bye!" No.... no... no no no no NO NOO!!!!!!!!!!! This couldn't be happening. Tears sprang up and a wave of despair loomed over me. What would I do... run? No, he'd probably call the police...

My stomach rumbled. Really? I thought. Right now? Can't it wait, until, I don't know, when I'm NOT a model? Aish... And where was Changsun? did he get in?

... I felt like crying. I was ashamed, but I wished that I had been him and he hand been me. I would've gotten a chance at least...

Wait! There he was! "Changsun! How was it?"

He looked away. "Another one gone. Soon I won't have any more companies to audition for. I'll never be a star..." I hated to see him like this.

"Changsun, you'll be fine. You'll definitely get in... do you want to search together? I need to be a star, too." and not the kind that sells those *videos*.

He shrugged. "I s'ppose..." he grabbed his stomach. "Can we eat first?"

"Erm... you go ahead. I- I'm not very hungry?" As i said it  my stomach growled loudly.

Changsun shoved me lightly, laughter bubbling up in his eyes and throat. "Oh really? And what was that sound you made, mister? Everything's reasonably cheap here. How much do you have? I have.... er...." he turned his pockets inside out. A small bronze coin. That was it. "Uh... I have 50 won?" he held it up sheepishly. "That won't buy much... So how about you?" (50 won is around 5 cents, except less b/c the won is going down)

I had no pockets on me. And even if I did, there wouldn't be any money in there that got past Teddy. Even so, I patted myself down. "I don't think so... Will 50 won buy anything?"

"No..."

"Oh..."

...

...

"Wait!!! Oh wait I have an idea!!!" I clapped my hands and jumped up and down excitedly. "What if we work a bit for money? We can ... I know! We can perform on the streets! We can practice our auditioning and we might get some money, and who knows? Maybe a company person will find us!"

He looked skeptical. "I don't know.... but I got nothing else. Let's do it!" He shook his head, like he couldn't believe how silly I was.

"Let's do this! Now, lead the way, Mister! ^^" I followed him enthusiastically, pushing away any thoughts of failure. This was going to be my ticket out.